Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,592 members, 7,955,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:53 PM

Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? (2549 Views)

Uthman Ibn Affan (R.A) : The Third Caliph. / Lets Learn About The Life Of Abu Bakr As-siddiq(r.a) - Briefly. / Sheik Muhammad Ali Jabata, CHECKMATED! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by BeansAndBread(m): 12:58am On May 04, 2016
I don't even understand how `Ali can be better than Abu Bakr, the man embraced Islam without question while being in his thirties or late twenties, he had a wife and family, he had an important status in society and a lot to lose. `Ali embraced Islam as a boy around seven or eight per my research and per the popular opinion as well (he died at 58 at the year 40, do the math) he was living off of the Prophet (saw) and residing in his house. Abu Bakr spent his wealth on Islam and freed slaves and helped convert many of the major Islamic personalities to Islam. `Ali had nothing to offer at the time and he hid his Islam while Abu Bakr was the first to announce his Islam publicly. Abu Bakr defended the Prophet (saw) when the pagans assaulted him and got beaten up more than once for doing so, he had no weapons nor an army behind him. Abu Bakr risked his own family's life by ordering them to help the Prophet (saw) escape Makkah. `Ali was under the protection of his strong tribe. While Abu Bakr served as the companion and right hand man of the Prophet (saw), `Ali was maturing and became a strong warrior whose main contribution was on the battle fields, Allah even instructed the Prophet (saw) to consult Abu Bakr. Abu Bakr with a known weakness in his body still participated in battle and fought valiantly. The Prophet (saw) appointed Abu Bakr to lead armies, he appointed him as the first man to lead the Muslims to Hajj and teach them the rites and he appointed him to lead the prayer of the Muslims in his final days. When the Prophet (saw) died it was Abu Bakr who addressed the Muslims and handled the situation, it was he who calmed them down, it was he who instructed them on how to pray Janazah and how to bury the Prophet (saw), it was Abu Bakr who stopped the Fitnah that could have happened between the Muhajiroun and the Ansar, while `Ali did nothing except stay with his relatives in Fatimah's house. When he as a Caliph, Abu Bakr was the first man to collect the Qur'an, not `Ali as they falsely claim. Abu Bakr established the religious state officially and defended it from its enemies at a sensitive time when it was weak and the situation was chaotic. Abu Bakr only had three women and died not leaving much wealth, while `Ali had many wives (Fatimah, Khawla, Umamah, Umm al Banin, Layla, Asma', Umm Habib, Mukhbi'ah, Umm Sa`id) and a long list of mothers of children (nineteen female servants who bore him many kids) as well as vast lands (check his Will in Sunni and Shia books).

By brother hani

1 Like

Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by Caseless: 1:24am On May 04, 2016
Are we in any position to judge who's better? They're sahaba for God's sake.

1 Like

Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by BeansAndBread(m): 2:02am On May 04, 2016
^^Salam Alaikum, I'm not judging between them. This post is referred to those who curse and villify the Sheikhains! They are sahabas and their sacrifice to Islam cannot be forgotten!
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by Olarajee(m): 2:24am On May 04, 2016
Why create such thread? Why habour or share such thoughts ? The companions were the best of men to ever grace this earth. It's not befitting of us to try pick faults from their lives. As we can never be able to justify it.
Just delete de thread and look for a better issue to share that will benefit us not casting suspicion into the lives of our heroes past.

1 Like

Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by factsdigger: 6:59am On May 04, 2016
These people always amazes me sha,go check your records at Ife and stop this nuisances.
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by Tfkspecial(m): 3:13pm On May 04, 2016
Trying to compare the companions of the prophet of Allah and placing one above another is an attempt to incur Allah's displeasure which every conscious muslim must avoid. They both suffered in the hands of unbelievers all in the name of supporting prophet and propagating Islam. It will be proper to engage in an educative discourse than academic exercise that can bring discord in the fold of Islam.

1 Like

Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by BeansAndBread(m): 5:46pm On May 04, 2016
Salam Aleikom,

Firstly, I'm not condemning any Sahabah, if you all read the article fully you would have known the position of the writer. He was replying a Shia who tried to say some sahabas thought of Ali(ra) to be better than Abubakar(ra), the brother just merely replied them. I saw that the post makes alot of sense that's why I pasted it here.

Secondly, I don't distinguish between the sahabas(ra), but we've to be sincere with ourselves. They all have different virtues, some have higher ranks than others, this is why the Prophet gave glad tidings of paradise to some! That aside, we can clearly see here on Nairaland how some Shias openly vilify some sahabas, many of you here complaining now, do not stop or speak against them, but a post trying to clarify a matter is what you people jump on, May Allaah have mercy!

Thirdly, I don't curse the sahabas, but we have people who do it here on Nairaland who even go to the extent of calling Abubakar(ra), Umar(ra) and Uthman(ra) usurpers. You all need to speak against them, wallahi, Allaah is my witness that I don't curse any Sahabah. Brothers be just and speak against evil when you see it!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by udatso: 10:43am On May 05, 2016
BeansAndBread:
I don't even understand how `Ali can be better than Abu Bakr, the man embraced Islam without question while being in his thirties or late twenties, he had a wife and family, he had an important status in society and a lot to lose. `Ali embraced Islam as a boy around seven or eight per my research and per the popular opinion as well (he died at 58 at the year 40, do the math) he was living off of the Prophet (saw) and residing in his house. Abu Bakr spent his wealth on Islam and freed slaves and helped convert many of the major Islamic personalities to Islam. `Ali had nothing to offer at the time and he hid his Islam while Abu Bakr was the first to announce his Islam publicly. Abu Bakr defended the Prophet (saw) when the pagans assaulted him and got beaten up more than once for doing so, he had no weapons nor an army behind him. Abu Bakr risked his own family's life by ordering them to help the Prophet (saw) escape Makkah. `Ali was under the protection of his strong tribe. While Abu Bakr served as the companion and right hand man of the Prophet (saw), `Ali was maturing and became a strong warrior whose main contribution was on the battle fields, Allah even instructed the Prophet (saw) to consult Abu Bakr. Abu Bakr with a known weakness in his body still participated in battle and fought valiantly. The Prophet (saw) appointed Abu Bakr to lead armies, he appointed him as the first man to lead the Muslims to Hajj and teach them the rites and he appointed him to lead the prayer of the Muslims in his final days. When the Prophet (saw) died it was Abu Bakr who addressed the Muslims and handled the situation, it was he who calmed them down, it was he who instructed them on how to pray Janazah and how to bury the Prophet (saw), it was Abu Bakr who stopped the Fitnah that could have happened between the Muhajiroun and the Ansar, while `Ali did nothing except stay with his relatives in Fatimah's house. When he as a Caliph, Abu Bakr was the first man to collect the Qur'an, not `Ali as they falsely claim. Abu Bakr established the religious state officially and defended it from its enemies at a sensitive time when it was weak and the situation was chaotic. Abu Bakr only had three women and died not leaving much wealth, while `Ali had many wives (Fatimah, Khawla, Umamah, Umm al Banin, Layla, Asma', Umm Habib, Mukhbi'ah, Umm Sa`id) and a long list of mothers of children (nineteen female servants who bore him many kids) as well as vast lands (check his Will in Sunni and Shia books).

By brother hani
Your approach is very wrong. Not all articles are worth sharing. ....please be careful with what you say and fear Allah. ....it is not for us to judge who among them was better.
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by udatso: 10:45am On May 05, 2016
BeansAndBread:
^^Salam Alaikum, I'm not judging between them. This post is referred to those who curse and villify the Sheikhains! They are sahabas and their sacrifice to Islam cannot be forgotten!
Maybe you didn't mean to but your Post suggest you are . And by the way who is brother Hani?
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by udatso: 11:05am On May 05, 2016
BeansAndBread:
Salam Aleikom,

Firstly, I'm not condemning any Sahabah, if you all read the article fully you would have known the position of the writer. He was replying a Shia who tried to say some sahabas thought of Ali(ra) to be better than Abubakar(ra), the brother just merely replied them. I saw that the post makes alot of sense that's why I pasted it here.
You are. What makes you different from the people you are talking about if you follow their strategy. The fact that you shared his post and willing to defend it means you agree with him.

Secondly, I don't distinguish between the sahabas(ra), but we've to be sincere with ourselves. They all have different virtues, some have higher ranks than others, this is why the Prophet gave glad tidings of paradise to some!
The theme of this article was to show how a sahaba is better than the other. You saying you are not distinguishing between them is total dishonesty from you.
That aside, we can clearly see here on Nairaland how some Shias openly vilify some sahabas, many of you here complaining now, do not stop or speak against them, but a post trying to clarify a matter is what you people jump on, May Allaah have mercy!
And if they did, does that mean you should do same. In majority of threads created by shi'as, they are mostly replied. ......it is not compulsory on everyone to reply them. As long as some has replied them, that's cool(fard kifaya). And shia/sunni issue is a deep subject that many try to avoid.
If you are not well enlightened, I suggest you stair clear of this shia/Sunni issue.
And brother , we are only correcting you.

Thirdly, I don't curse the sahabas, but we have people who do it here on Nairaland who even go to the extent of calling Abubakar(ra), Umar(ra) and Uthman(ra) usurpers. You all need to speak against them, wallahi, Allaah is my witness that I don't curse any Sahabah. Brothers be just and speak against evil when you see it!
You can go to those threads and correct them and debunk their lies and not coming here with this approach.
May Allah continue to guide and protect us. Ameen
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by AlBaqir(m): 8:14am On May 08, 2016
@udatso, Is it a sin to discuss the Sahabah, who is the best among them? Even there are lots of authentic reports that Sahabah themselves engaged in that. For example, Imam Ahmad documents:

Abd Allah (b. Muhammad b. Abd al-Aziz al-Baghwi) - my grandfather (Ahmad b. Muni al-Baghwi) - Abu Qatan - Shu'bah - Abu Ishaq - Abd Allah b. Yazid - Alqamah - Abd Allah b. Mas'ud:
"We used to say that the overall best of the people of Madinah was Ali ibn Abi Talib."
Ref: Ahmad b. Hanbal al-Shaybani, Fadail al-Sahabah (Beirut: Muasassat al-Risalah; 1403 H)[annotator: Dr. Wasiyullah Muhammad Abbas], vol.2, p.646,#1097

On the contrary, Imam Muslim records Abdullah Ibn Umar to have said:
"During the lifetime of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, we never considered anyone as equal to Abu Bakr, then Umar, and then Uthman. Then, we leave the Sahabah of the prophet, peace be upon him, AND WE DID NOT CONSIDERED ANY OF THEM TO BE SUPERIOR TO ANOTHER"

#2. Even our Lord, the Most High, disclose in His glorious book how some Prophets were superior than the others. For example,
"We have made some of these apostles to excel the others among them are they to whom Allah spoke, and some of them He exalted by (many degrees of) rank; and We gave clear miracles to Isa son of Marium, and strengthened him with the holy spirit..." {[surah al-Baqarah:253]}

And He also disclose how some Sahabah of the Prophet were superior in spiritual ranks than the others. Surah an-Nisa: 95 talks about two types of Sahabah and their ranks with Allah:
"[color=000099]The holders back from among the believers, not having any injury, and those who strive hard in Allah's way with their property and their persons are not equal; Allah has made the strivers with their property and their persons to excel the holders back a (high) degree, and to each (class) Allah has promised good; and Allah shall grant to the strivers above the holders back a mighty reward[/color]"

#3. Interestingly, the prophet was equally dragged to the debate. For example:

Imam Ahmad records: Amr b. al-'As:
"The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, appointed me as commander of the army of Dhat Salasil. So, I got to him, and said, "O Messenger of Allah, WHICH OF MANKIND IS THE MOST BELOVED TO YOU?" He replied, "Aisha." I said, "Who among the men?" He replied, "Her father." I asked, "Then who?" He replied, "Umar."

Sheik al-Arnaut comments: It is Sahih according to the standards of the two Sheiks (Bukhari and Muslim)
Ref: Musnad (Cairo: Muasassat Qurtubah)[annotator: Shuaib al-Arnaut], vol.4, p.203, #17844.

On the contrary, Al-Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (d. 852 H) states:
"Ahmad, Abu Dawud and al-Nasai have recorded with a Sahih Chain from Nu'man b. Bashir:

Abu Bakr sought permission to enter the house of the Prophet, peace be upon him, and heard the voice of 'Aishah, very loud, and she was saying (to the prophet), "I HAVE KNOWN THAT 'ALI IS MORE BELOVED TO YOU THAN MY FATHER
."
Ref: Fath al-Bari sharh Sahih al-Bukhari (Beirut: Dar al-Marifah Li al-Taba'ah wa al-Nashr, 2nd edition), vol.7, p.19

Imam Ahmad also records:

Abd Allah (b. Ahmad) - my father (Ahmad b. Hanbal) - Abu Na'im - Yunus - al-'Ayzar b. Hurayth - al-Nu'man b. Bashir:

Abu Bakr sought the permission of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, to enter his house, and heard the voice of Aishah, very loud. She was saying, "I SWEAR BY ALLAH, I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT 'ALI IS MORE BELOVED TO YOU THAN MY FATHER AND ME." She said it twice or thrice. So, Abu Bakr sought permission (again) and entered, and reached for her, and said, "O daughter of such-and-such woman! Did I hear you raising your voice upon the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him?"

Shaykh al-Ar'naut says: Its Chain is Hasan.
Ref: Musnad (Cairo: Muasassat Qurtubah)[annotator: Shuaib al-Ar'naut], vol.4, p.275, #18444

# Umm al-Mu'minin Aisha, even after her discovery, never backed down. Here is a sahih report:
Imam Ahmad (6/241) records:

'Abd al-Wahid al-Hadad - Kahmas - Abd Allah b. Shaqiq:

I said to 'Aishah, "Which of mankind was the most beloved to the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him?" Aishah said, "Aishah". I said, "What about among men?". She said, "Her father".

Ref: {Silsilah al-Ahadith al-Da'ifah wa al-Mawdu'ah wa Atharihah al-Sayyiah fi al-Ummah (Riyadh: Dar al-Ma'arif; 1st ed. 1412 H), vol. 3, p.254, #1124}

And never forget hadith of the bird. Imam al-Tirmidhi in his Sahih Sunan, Kitab manaqib (book on virtues), Imam Ibn Asakir (d. 571 H) records:
Abu Ghalib b. al-Bana - Abu al-Husayn b. al-Abnusi - Abu al-Hasan al-Daraqutni - Muhammad b. Mukhlid b. Hafs - Hatim b. al-Layth - Ubayd Allah b. Musa - Isa b. Umar al-Qari - al-Suddi - Anas b. Malik:

Birds were given as gifts to the Messenger of Allah. So, he distributed them and left a bird. Then he said, "O Allah, bring to me THE MOST BELOVED TO YOU OF YOUR CREATION to eat with me from this bird. So, Ali ibn Abi Talib came and entered and ate with him from that bird
." Ref: Tarikh Madinah Dimashq (Beirut: Dar al-Fikr; 1415 H) [annotator: Ali Shiri], vol.42, p. 254.

So, brother udatso, why cant we unravel this subject?! Unfortunately, what should have been an academic research and dialogue with excellent submissions and sound exhortations usually go emotional.

BeansAndBread, do you really concur with what you have copy-pasted? So are you ready to defend it? As you know, my position is that Imam Ali (alayhi Salam) was the best of Sahabah. We can explore this using Quran and authentic ahadith side-by-side with the First Khalifah.

WA Salam alaykum
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by AlBaqir(m): 5:29pm On May 11, 2016
BeansAndBread:
I don't even understand how `Ali can be better than Abu Bakr,

A nasibi will never understand. Imam 'Ali (alayhi Salam) is from Ahli Muhammad, a direct extension of Ahli Ibrahim. Allah says:

Al-Nisā: 54
"Do they feel jealous of the people because of (the blessings) which Allah has conferred upon them of His bounty? So, surely, We have given the family of Ibrahim (Abraham) the Book and wisdom, and We also granted them a great kingdom. "

Even the first Khalifah, Abubakar by default never ceased in his Islamic rites seeking praise and blessings upon Muhammad and household of Muhammad, whom Imam 'Ali was the head.

The prayer of Abubakar, Umar et al till this day is: O Allah! Bless Muhammad and the Ahli Muhammad in exactly the same manner You have blessed Ibrahim and the Ahli Ibrahim..."

# As Ahli Ibrahim were chosen and prefered above mankind So were (are) Ahli Muhammad [Quran 3: 33-34]. Was Abubakar not among mankind?

# As Ahli Ibrahim were made Imam of mankind so also were (are) Ahli Muhammad [Quran 2: 124]. Was Abubakar not among mankind?

# Kitab, Hikmah, Mulk Azeem etc were meritedly gifted to Ahli Ibrahim so also were (are) Ahli Muhammad.

BeansAndBread:

the man embraced Islam without question while being in his thirties or late twenties, he had a wife and family, he had an important status in society and a lot to lose. `Ali embraced Islam as a boy around seven or eight per my research and per the popular opinion as well

WHEN WAS IMAM ALI EMBRACED ISLAM? AND WHO WAS THE FIRST MUSLIM?

1. Imam Ibn Abd al-Barr (d. 463 H) documents:

Abu ‘Umar said, “It is said that ‘Ali accepted Islam when he was thirteen years old. It is said that he was twelve years old. It is said that he was fifteen years old. It is said that he was sixteen years old. It is said that he was ten years old. It is said that he was eight years old....

Abu Zayd ‘Umar b. Shaybah mentioned that – Surayj b. al-Nu’man – al-Furat b. al-Saib Maymun b. Mahran – Ibn ‘Umar, may Allah be pleased with them both:

Ali b. Abi Talib accepted Islam while he was THIRTEEN YEARS OLD and died when he was sixtythree years old”. Abu ‘Umar, may Allah be merciful to him, said: “This is the most correct opinion on the matter”.

Source: al-Isti’ab fi Ma’rifat al-Ashab (Beirut: Dar al-Jil; 1st edition, 1412 H) [annotator: ‘Ali Muhammad al-Bajawi], vol. 3, pp. 1093-1095, # 1855 .

2. Imam al-Haythami (d. 807 H) records: Narrated Abu Rafi’:

The first to accept Islam among the male adults was ‘Ali and the first to accept Islam from the female adults was Khadijah.

Al-Haythami comments: Al-Bazzar recorded it and its narrators are narrators of the Sahih

Source: Nur al-Din ‘Ali b. Abi Bakr al-Haythami, Majma’ al-Zawaid (Beirut: Dar al-Fikr; 1412 H), vol. 9, p. 353, # 15258

3. Imam al-Tabarani (d. 360 H):

Al-Hasan b. ‘Abd al-A’la al-Narsi al-Sana’ani – ‘Abd al-Razzaq – Sufyan al-Thawri – Salamah b. Kuhayl – Abu Sadiq – ‘Alim al-Kindi – Salman al-Farisi, may Allah be pleased with him:

“The first of this Ummah to meet its Prophet (on the Day of Resurrection) will be the first of them to accept Islam, ‘Ali b. Abi Talib.”

Shaykh al-Haji comments: The chain: Al-Haythami said, “Its narrators are thiqah (trustworthy)”.

Hamadi al-Salafi also said: “I say: ‘Ibrahim and al-Hasan are among those narrators who transmitted from ‘Abd al-Razzaq during his confusion.”

Source: Abu al-Qasim Sulayman b. Ahmad al-Ṭabarani, Kitab al-Awail (Beirut: Muasassat al-Risalah; 3rd edition, 1408 H) [annotator: Muhammad Shakur b. Mahmud al-Haji], p. 78, # 51

4. Imam Ibn Abi Shaybah (d. 235 H) also documents:

Mu’awiyah b. Hisham – Qays – Salamah b. Kuhayl – Abu Sadiq – ‘Alim – Salman:

The first of this Ummah to meet its Prophet (on the Day of Resurrection will be the first of them to accept Islam, ‘Ali b. Abi Talib.”

Source: Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah fi al-Ahadith wa al-Athar (Dar al-Fikr; 1st edition, 1409 H) [annotator: Prof. Sa’id alLaham], vol. 8, p. 350, # 222

5. Imam al-Tirmidhi (d. 279 H) records:

Muhammad b. Bashar and Muhammad b. al-Muthanna – Muhammad b. Ja’far – Shu’bah b. ‘Amr b. Marrah – Abu Hamza, who was a man from the Ansar – Zayd b. Arqam: “The first to accept Islam was ‘Ali

Al-Tirmidhi states: This hadith is hasan sahih

Allamah al-Albani (d. 1420 H) agrees: It has a sahih chain

Source: al-Jami’ al-Ṣahih Sunan al-Tirmidhi (Beirut: Dar Ihya alTurath al-‘Arabi) [annotator: Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani], vol. 5, p. 642, # 3735

6. Imam Ibn Abd al-Barr caps it:

Salman, Abu Dharr, al-Miqdad, Khabab, Jabir, Abu Sa’id al-Khudri and Zayd b. Arqam narrated that ‘Ali b. Abi Talib, may Allah be pleased with him, was the first to accept Islam, and these people placed him in rank above everyone else"

Source: al-Isti’ab fi Ma’rifat al-Ashab (Beirut: Dar al-Jil; 1st edition, 1412 H) [annotator: ‘Ali Muhammad al-Bajawi], vol. 3, pp. 1090, # 1855 .

Notably, along with Ibn ‘Abbas and Abu Rafi’, those were nine Sahabah.

7. Imam al-Hakim (d. 403 H) records about the tenth Sahabi –Sa’d b. Abi Waqqas: .

Narrated Qays b. Abi Hazim: I was in Madinah. While I was moving around in the market, oil stones arrived. So, I saw some people crowding around a Persian man who was riding an animal and cursing ‘Ali b. Abi Talib. People stood round him when Sa’d b. Abi Waqqas turned and stood in front of them and he asked, “What is this?” They replied, “A man cursing ‘Ali b. Abi Talib.” So, Sa’d moved forward and they made way for him until he stood before him and said, “O you! On what basis do you curse ‘Ali b. Abi Talib? Is he not the first to accept Islam? Is he not the first to perform Salat with the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him?...."

Al-Hakim declares: This hadith has a sahih chain.

Al-Dhahabi (d. 748 H) confirms: (Sahih) upon the standard of al-Bukhari and Muslim

Source: al-Mustadrak ‘ala al-Ṣahihayn (Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-’Ilmiyyah; 1st edition, 1411 H) [annotator: Mustafa ‘Abd al-Qadir ‘Ata], vol. 3, p. 571, # 6121

8. Imam Tirmidhi also records:

Muhammad b. Hamid – Ibrahim b. al-Mukhtar – Shu’bah – Abu Balj – ‘Amr b. Maymun – Ibn ‘Abbas:

The first to perform Salat was ‘Ali.”

‘Allamah al-Albani says: Sahih

Source: al-Jami’ al-Ṣahih Sunan al-Tirmidhi (Beirut: Dar Ihya alTurath al-‘Arabi) [annotator: Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani], vol. 5, p. 642, # 3734

Mr BeansAndBread the onus lies on you and your Nasibi author to prove otherwise. Mind you, Prophet himself, salallahu alayhi wa Ahli wa Salam, declared Ali to be the first to embrace Islam.

PROPHET DECLARED 'ALI AS THE FIRST MUSLIM IN A MUTAWATTIR HADITH

1. Imam Ahmad documents with Hasan chain:

Abd Allah (b. Ahmad) – my father (Ahmad b. Hanbal) - Abu Ahmad – Khalid b. Tahman Nafi’ b. Abi Nafi’ – Ma’qil b. Yasar: .... He (the Prophet) said (to Fatimah), “Are you not satisfied that I have married you to the one who was the first of my Ummah to accept Islam, and the most knowledgeable of them, and the most clement of them?”

Source: Abu ‘Abd Allah Ahmad b. Hanbal al-Shaybani, Musnad (Cairo: Muasassat Qurtubah) [annotator: Shu’ayb alArnaut], vol. 5, p. 26, # 20322

2. Imam Ibn Asakir records

Abu Nasr b. Ridwan, Abu Ghalib b. Al-Bana and Abu Muhammad ‘Abd Allah b. Muhammad b. Naja – Abu Muhammad al-Jawhari – Abu Bakr b. Malik – al-‘Abbas b. Ibrahim al-Qaraṭisi Muhammad b. Isma’il al-Ahmasi – Mufadhdhal b. Salih – Jabir al-Ju’fi – Sulayman b. Buraydah – his father (Buraydah):

The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said... “O Faṭimah! Are you not pleased that your husband was the first of them to accept Islam, and the most knowledgeable of them, and the most clement of them?”

Source: Abu al-Qasim ‘Ali b. al-Hasan b. Habat Allah b. ‘Abd Allah, Ibn Asakir al-Shafi’i, Tarikh Madinah Dimashq (Beirut: Dar al-Fikr; 1415 H) [annotator: ‘Ali Shiri], vol. 42, pp. 131-132

3. Imam al-Tabarani (d. 360 H) has a relevant report too

Muhammad b. ‘Uthman b. Abi Shaybah – Muhammad b. ‘Ubayd al-Muharibi – ‘Abd al-Karim b. Ya’qub – Jabir – Abu al-Tufayl - ‘Aishah:

The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, complained in my room. So, Faṭimah came to him, walking. I swear by the One in Whose Hand is ‘Aishah’s life, her style of walking was the same as that of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him. Therefore, the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, told her something privately. She therefore wept. Then he told her another thing privately, and she laughed.

So, I said, “I do not think it is appropriate to laugh on a day like this, which is more deserving of weeping.” I said, “O Faṭimah, tell me what he told you.” She replied, “I will not as long as the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, sees your place (i.e. is alive).” Therefore, when the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, passed away, I asked her, and she said, “The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said:

‘Verily, Jibril used to present the Qur’an to me once every year, but has presented it twice to me this year. I do not see except that I have been called (into the Presence of Allah) and I will answer (i.e. die soon). Therefore, fear Allah.’ So, I became sad. Then he told me privately and said, ‘Are you not pleased that your husband was the first of all Muslims to accept Islam, and the most knowledgeable of them? For verily you are the mistress of the women of my Ummah, as Maryam was the mistress of the women of her people?’”

Source: Abu al-Qasim Sulayman b. Ahmad b. Ayub al-Ṭabarani, Mu’jam al-Kabir (Mosul: Maktabah al-‘Ulum wa alHukm; 2nd edition, 1404 H) [annotator: Hamadi b. ‘Abd al-Majid al-Salafi], vol. 22, p. 417, # 1030

Like I said above, this hadith is Mutawattir (widely reported) so there is no iota of doubt about its authenticity. I just present a glimpse for brevity.
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by AlBaqir(m): 6:46pm On May 11, 2016
BeansAndBread:

(he died at 58 at the year 40, do the math) he was living off of the Prophet (saw) and residing in his house.

First, Imam Ali died at the age of 63 years

Imam Ibn Abd al-Barr (d. 463 H) documents:

Abu Zayd ‘Umar b. Shaybah mentioned that – Surayj b. al-Nu’man – al-Furat b. al-Saib Maymun b. Mahran – Ibn ‘Umar, may Allah be pleased with them both:
Ali b. Abi Talib accepted Islam while he was THIRTEEN YEARS OLD and died when he was sixty-three years old”. Abu ‘Umar, may Allah be merciful to him, said: “This is the most correct opinion on the matter”.
Source: al-Isti’ab fi Ma’rifat al-Ashab (Beirut: Dar al-Jil; 1st edition, 1412 H) [annotator: ‘Ali Muhammad al-Bajawi], vol. 3, pp. 1093-1095, # 1855 .

Second, what honor is more than living by the side of Messenger of Allah? 'Ali is (was) self of the Messenger of Allah as Quran states it.

BeansAndBread:

Abu Bakr spent his wealth on Islam and freed slaves

About spending in charity!
We read stories upon stories of Abubakar's "charity" to the Prophet and Islam. Before Abubakar was ever heard of in spending to Islam, it was Lady Khadijah and Hazrat Abu Talib.

However the much you spent is not what concern Allah but your sincerity and motives behind it. Then, Allah accused some wealthy Sahabah of being miser [Quran 47: 33-38].

So, how come Abubakar was not able to comply with "Verse of Najwa?"
# "O you who believe! When you consult with the Messenger in private, spend something in charity before your private consultation. That will be better and purer for you. But, if you find not (the means for it), then verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Are you AFRAID of spending in charity before your private consultation? If then, do not do it, and Allah has FORGIVEN you. So, perform Salat and give Zakat and obey Allah and and His Messenger. And Allah is All-Aware of what you do."
{[Quran 58: 12-13]}

Imam al-Hakim (d. 403 H) documents:

Abd Allah b. Muhammad al-Sayadlani – Muhammad b. Ayub – Yahya b. al-Mughirah al-Sa’di– Jarir – Mansur – Mujahid – ‘Abd al-Rahman b. Abi Layli – ‘Ali b. Abi Talib, may Allah be pleased with him:

Verily, in the Book of Allah, there is a verse that none complied with, and none will ever comply with, apart from me. It is the Verse of al-Najwa {O you who believe! When you consult with the Messenger in private, spend something in charity before your private consultation}"

Al-Hakim comments: This hadith is sahih upon the standard of the two Shaykhs.

Al-Dhahabi (d. 748 H) agrees: (Sahih) upon the standard of al-Bukhari and Muslim

Source: al-Mustadrak ‘ala al-Ṣahihayn (Beirut: Dar alKutub al-’Ilmiyyah; 1st edition, 1411 H) [annotator: Mustafa ‘Abd al-Qadir ‘Ata], vol. 2, p. 524, # 3794

BeansAndBread:

and helped convert many of the major Islamic personalities to Islam.

A tale by moonlight. There's however room for you and your nasibi author to support this weird claim with sahih evidences.

BeansAndBread:

Ali had nothing to offer at the time and he hid his Islam while Abu Bakr was the first to announce his Islam publicly.

At this point it is better I challenge you and your nasibi author to back your weird claim with sihah proves. Abubakar, first to declare Islam publicly while Ali hid his? Some from among your Aimmah said it was Umar that first declared his Islam publicly. So, who exactly (Abubakar or Umar)?

'Ali (alayhi Salam) had been under the tutelage of the Messenger of Allah since age 3. He was a shadow of the Messenger of Allah. Anywhere Prophet go, he goes. Whatever Prophet does he do as well. There was no loyal, long-serving bodyguard of the Prophet save 'Ali ibn Abi Talib.

1 Like

Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by AlBaqir(m): 6:50pm On May 11, 2016
BeansAndBread:

Abu Bakr defended the Prophet (saw) when the pagans assaulted him and got beaten up more than once for doing so, he had no weapons nor an army behind him. Abu Bakr risked his own family's life by ordering them to help the Prophet (saw) escape Makkah. `Ali was under the protection of his strong tribe.

# Even a young student of History will inform you that Three years to migration to Mecca, Prophet and the believers were at Shab Abi Talib when the persecution was deadly. The muslims suffered since the wealth and needs provided by Abu Talib could not sustain them for whole 3 years, and Lady Khadijah had died. Abu Talib died also later that year. Where was Abubakar with his wealth and influence, 3 years to Hijrah?

# While Abubakar managed to escape alongside the Messenger of Allah in the year of Hijrah, Ali was instructed by his master, the Messenger of Allah, to camouflage and disguise on the Prophet's bed. This is he who Allah praises in His glorious book:

Al-Baqarah: 207
"And (on the contrary) amongst people there is also someone who sells even his life to attain the pleasure of Allah. And Allah is Most Kind to the servants. "

On the contrary, Allah revealed in sura Tawbah: 40, about the incident of the cave when Prophet and Abubakar were migrating to Madina. On their way, there was a need to hide.

* Abubakar continuously became terrified while the Prophet continuously telling him "do not afraid, Allah is with us".
What was he afraid of? Isn't it an honor to die side-by-side with the Messenger of Allah? While persistent in his fear (whatever it could be) while Prophet had assured him of Allah's protection?

* Allah sent Sakinah (tranquillity) and unseen forces upon His Messenger ALONE in the cave leaving out Abubakar. [Sura Tawbah: 40]. Why? This is Because Allah never send His Sakinah upon a terrifying heart. Sakinah is only to strengthen and increase Iman in the heart of believers whose heart is already brimming with faith. [surah al-Fath: 4].

BeansAndBread:

While Abu Bakr served as the companion and right hand man of the Prophet (saw),

# First, who appointed Abubakr as the "right-hand man" of the Prophet? Was it Allah and His Messenger, or Abubakar appointed himself? Or was it just a wish list of the Nasibis?

* Hadith Yawm al-Dar: Three years after the beginning of the Prophet's mission, he was commanded by Allah to proclaim openly his call, with the revelation of this verse:
"And warn thy tribe of near kindred" {surah Shu'ara: 214}.

The Prophet invited the chiefs of the Banu Hashim and said to them: "I have brought for you the best of this world and the next. Allah has commanded me to invite you to this [religion of Islam]. Which of you will help me establish this religion, to be my brother and my successor?" He repeated this question three times, and each time it was 'Ali, alone, who stepped forward, declaring his readiness to help the Prophet. Then the Prophet said, "Truly, this is my brother, my heir and my successor among you."

Source: Musnad Imam Ahmad, vol.1, p. 159; Ta'rikh al-rusul wa'l-muluk (Beirut, 1408), vol. 2, p.406; Jami al-Bayan (i.e Tafsir of Imam Tabari) (Beirut, 1980), vol.19, p.74-75 (commentary on sura al-Shu'ara:214).

# Second, on his journey to Tabuk (around 21 years of his blessed mission), the Messenger of Allah says the famous Mutawattir hadith Manzila: "O Ali! Your status to me is that of Harun to Musa except there is no Prophet after me"

Mr BeansAndBread, what were the statues of Nabi Harun to Nabi Musa? Have you forgotten Nabi Harun was Wazir of Nabi Musa? Read sura Taha: 29. In case you don't know what Wazir means, it is "right-hand man".

BeansAndBread:

`Ali was maturing and became a strong warrior whose main contribution was on the battle fields,

May Allah disgrace and condemn Nasibism.

Maturing? Yet he was the first to embrace Islam at age 13. Does he embraced Islam by force or by his own will?

Maturing? Yet Prophet appointed him officially and openly as his only brother to help him establish Islam at age 16.

Maturing? Yet he was the flag bearer of Islam in the first ever battle with the polytheists at age 20+. In physical dual, single combat at Badr (and many other battles), Ali was always the first to come out and disgrace the enemies of Islam. There was NEVER ever mentioning of Abubakar either in single combat or killing a known polytheist warrior.

# If 'Ali's main contribution was on battlefields, I ask was there a better contribution then than Jihad? Hadith sahih says Prophet fought for the Tanzil (revelation) of the Quran.

BeansAndBread:

Allah even instructed the Prophet (saw) to consult Abu Bakr. Abu Bakr with a known weakness in his body still participated in battle and fought valiantly. The Prophet (saw) appointed Abu Bakr to lead armies,

# Where and when did Allah instructed the Prophet to consult Abubakar?

# You dare not compare Ali's bravery, valor, sagacity, etc in battlefield with ANYBODY else.

# Many were battles that Abubakar fled away from the battlefield. Battle of Khaybar was an example when on the first day, he was appointed to lead an army to the fortress of Khaybar. Abubakar and his soldiers ran away.

BeansAndBread:

he appointed him as the first man to lead the Muslims to Hajj and teach them the rites and he appointed him to lead the prayer of the Muslims in his final days.

# How does leading a contingent to Mecca for hajj became a merit? Messenger of Allah was still behind with the believers preparing for Hajj journey faah.

# Did Abu Bakr Lead Salat?!
Apart from the fact that there are serious, blatant contradictions in various ahadith that showed Abu Bakr lead Salat by the order of the Prophet, some of these ahadith showed that Abu Bakr even lead the Prophet himself in salat [while this is Haram: see the Tafsir of surah Hujurat: 1; Ibn Ḥajar al-Asqalānī, Fatḥ al-Bārī Sharḥ Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī, (Beirut: Dār al-Ma'rifah; 2nd edition), vol. 2, p. 146]; other hadith showed the Prophet put Abu Bakr aside before he even started the salat.

The fact that the Prophet ruled that only the best Quran reciter should lead people in Salat {for example see: Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim, vol. 1, p. 465, # 673 (290); Musnad Ahmad (Cairo: Muasassat Qurṭubah), vol. 3, p. 163, # 12687}; and to prove this, Salim, the freed-slave of Abu Hudhayfah, used to lead Abu Bakr, Umar et al in Salat {Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhari (Beirut: Dār Ibn Kathīr; 3rd edition, 1407 H), vol. 6, p. 2625, # 6754} clearly cast lots of doubts to the legitimacy and truthfulness of Abu Bakr ever leading salat by the order of the Prophet.
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by AlBaqir(m): 6:57pm On May 11, 2016
BeansAndBread:

When the Prophet (saw) died it was Abu Bakr who addressed the Muslims and handled the situation, it was he who calmed them down,

# Which situation? Which "calming down"? When the Sahabah confirmed the death of the blessed Messenger, they announced among themselves. Only Umar! Again, only Umar b. al-Khattab was threatening to kill with sword whoever says the Messenger of Allah had died. And weirdly and unislamically, he said, "The Messenger went to meet his Lord just like Musa went to meet his Lord...and that he (the Messenger of Allah) will come back and cut off the leg and hand of whoever says he has died"

Caliph Abubakar Only calm his friend down from his weird declaration and threat.

BeansAndBread:

it was he who instructed them on how to pray Janazah and how to bury the Prophet (saw),

Provide evidence please. Imam Ali washed, shrouded and buried the Messenger of Allah (of course with the help of his relatives and some sahabah). Those that attempted to pray Janazah and appointed an Imam among themselves were instantly dissolved by Imam Ali and he told them, "you cannot appoint an Imam in his presence. In death and living, he (the Prophet) was your Imam."

BeansAndBread:

it was Abu Bakr who stopped the Fitnah that could have happened between the Muhajiroun and the Ansar, while `Ali did nothing except stay with his relatives in Fatimah's house.

La hawla wala Quwata ilah Billah!

When Umar b. al-Khattab continue his threat to kill whoever announce the death of the Prophet, Abubakar (who was not in Medinah as at the time) came back and confirmed the departure of the Messenger of Allah. He came out, held the shoulder of his friend, Umar and faced the threatened crowd, then announced the death of the Prophet reciting a verse in Sura Ahl Imran.

A Sahabi by the name of Abu Ubayd Allah al-Jarrah suddenly showed up and whispered to both Abubakar and Umar. Then the three of them - Abubakar, Umar, Abu Ubayd Allah al-Jarrah went to Saqifah of Bani Saidah fighting out the Khilafah with the Ansar.

Umar b al-Khattab confessed this and it is documented in Sahih Bukhari among many other Sunni Books of ahadith and Tarikh.

* The Ahlulbayt (household ) of the Prophet knew nothing about the event taking place at Saqifah. They were busy with the corpse of the Messenger of Allah. What is more important: The corpse of the Messenger of Allah or the fight for Khilafah?

BeansAndBread:

When he as a Caliph, Abu Bakr was the first man to collect the Qur'an, not `Ali as they falsely claim.

# First, according to your history, Abubakar did not collect Quran rather he only appointed Zayd b. Thabit (only) to collect Quran. In fact, the originator of that idea was even Umar. And interestingly, Abubakar collected the "compiled" Quran of Zayd ibn Thabit and kept it "under lock and key". Nobody had access to it during the almost 15years of Abubakar and Umar's Caliphate.

# Second, at the time of Uthman, another Quran was "compiled" using the one Zayd compiled under the command of Abubakar. But this time, the third Khalifah had to appoint 4 nobles of Quran for verifications (as against Zayd's).

# Third, our submission remain that Ali was the first to collect Quran with its Tafsir and Tawil. The first Khalifah and his administration rejected it when Imam Ali presented it to them. Our main argument however is that Quran has already been compiled in its book form before the death of the Prophet.

BeansAndBread:

Abu Bakr established the religious state officially and defended it from its enemies at a sensitive time when it was weak and the situation was chaotic.

Fallacy. Prophet had already established the Islamic state before his blessed demise. Besides, what was the weakness and chaotic nature of Islam during the 2 year + reign of the first Khalifah? Prophet witnessed attacks upon attacks to Islamic state during his blessed life time.

Note, the first battle which Abubakar's administration undertook was a battle against the Romans. Prophet had already commanded this battle some days before he died. He, salallahu alayhi wa Ahli wa salam, appointed an 18 year old Usama b. Zayd b. Haritha to lead an army which included notables like Abubakar, Umar et al. Prophet died while they have not fulfilled this command. This was the first thing Abubakar did yet he himself never participated in the battle as against the initial command of the Prophet.

Explanation of Saheeh Al-Bukhari by ibn Hajar:

The title of the chapter, “Chapter of the Prophet (saw) sending Usama ibn Zayd in his illness in which he died.” The author (i.e. Bukhari) has chosen this title because it is narrated that the mobilizing of the army of Usama was on Saturday, two days before the death of the Prophet (saw), and the beginning of it was before the illness of the Prophet (saw) at the end of the month of Safar that the Prophet (saw) delegated the people to go to war with Rome at the end of Safar and called Usama and said: “Go to the place where your father was martyred, take the people because I have appointed you as the commander of this army, tomorrow morning leave and hurry and go fast before the news reaches them. If Allah (swt) gives you victory over them do not stay long among them." Then the illness of the Messenger of Allah (saw) began on the day of Tuesday and then he passed the flag to Usama. Usama took it and passed it to Buraida and his soldiers were in Jurf, and among those who were sent with Usama were the heads of Muhajireen and Ansaar, such as Abu Bakr, Umar, Aboo Ubayda, Sa’d, Sa’eed, Qutada ibn Al-No’man and Salama ibn Aslam, then some of them talked such as Ayash Ibn Rabi’ah Al-Makh’zumi and Umar replied to him. Then the Prophet (saw) was informed about what they said, so he gave a sermon and that is this Hadeeth of Bukhari (as mentioned above). Then the illness of the Messenger of Allah (saw) became worse and said: "Send the army of Usama” (i.e. leave Madinah). Then Aboo Bakr sent the army after he became Caliph, so he went twenty nights in one direction as he had ordered him, and killed the killer of his father and came back with victory and with Ghanima.

The historians of the battles (Al-Maghazi) have mentioned a long story and this is a summary of it, and this was the last army that the Prophet (saw) equipped and was the first army that Abu Bakr equipped. But ibn Taymiyyah has denied that Abu Bakr and Umar were among the army (and must have left Madinah with the army) in his book which is a response to ibn Muta’har, and he has denied it according to what Al-Waqidi has narrated with his chains on his book, ‘Al-Maghazi’ and ibn Sa’d has related it in his book at the end of the biography of the Prophet (saw) without chains, and ibn Ishaq has mentioned it in his famous book Al-Sirah and says: ‘The illness of the Messenger of Allah (saw) began on Wednesday and on Thursday. He ordered Usama and said: “Go fight in the path of Allah (swt), and go to where your father was killed, I have made you the commander of this army." Then he mentions the story and says: 'There remained not a single person of the early Muhajirun unless he was in that army, such as Aboo Bakr and Umar, and when Aboo Bakr sent that army when he became Caliph, Aboo Bakr asked Usama to let Umar stay (in Madinah) so he did.’ And this is what ibn Al-Jawzi relates in his book ‘Al-Muntazam’ and fully supports it.

Source: Fath Al-Bari Sharh Saheeh Al-Bukhari. Vol. 9, Pg. # 622.

BeansAndBread:

Abu Bakr only had three women and died not leaving much wealth, while `Ali had many wives (Fatimah, Khawla, Umamah, Umm al Banin, Layla, Asma', Umm Habib, Mukhbi'ah, Umm Sa`id) and a long list of mothers of children (nineteen female servants who bore him many kids)

# How much exactly was the first Khalifah left? We have no reliable record. But obviously it was more than that of Ali ibn Abi Talib as we shall show shortly. However Umar b. al-Khattab, Abubakr successor left behind more than US $193, 000000 (one hundred and ninety-three million US dollars). We can provide for you undeniable evidence if you ask.

# Absolutely true! Imam 'Ali, the self of Muhammad, salallahu alayhi wa ahli wa salam, had many wives after the death of Bibi Fatima (alayha Salam) just like his master after the death of Bibi Khadijah. So what's the fuss here?

All his able children from these unions proved worthy for Islam and the truth during the civil wars during the 4 years + of Imam Ali's Khilafah.

BeansAndBread:

as well as vast lands (check his Will in Sunni and Shia books).

By brother hani

Vast lands? BeansAndBread, this brother hani of yours is a big liar. And if you agree with him, you are also a big liar. You are challenged to bring forth your authentic Sunni and Shia narrations which document Imam Ali's will.

# Imam Ahmad documents:

Abd Allah (b. Ahmad) – my father (Ahmad b. Hanbal) – Waki’ – Israil – Abu Ishaq – ‘Amr b. Habashi:

Al-Hasan b. ‘Ali delievered a sermon to us after the killing of ‘Ali, may Allah be pleased with him, and said: “Verily, a man has left you yesterday. The awwalun (people of old) never surpassed him in knowledge, and the akhirun (later ones) never reach his level (in knowledge). Whever the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, appointed him and gave him the flag, he never returned until he is granted victory (by Allah). He left behind no gold coin and no silver coin except 700 (seven hundred) dirhams from his salary. He set it aside to procure with it a servant for his family.”

Shaykh al-Arnauṭ says: Hasan (sound)

Source: Musnad (Cairo: Muasassat Qurtubah) [annotator: Shu’ayb al-Arnaut], vol. 1, p. 199, # 1720

A dirham which was a silver coin, in modern terms, equals approximately US $3 (three US dollars). So, ‘Ali’s monetary wealth when he died was only US $2100 (two thousand and one hundred US dollars). Apart from his living quarters and his battle equipment (and possibly a few other minor items), there is no reliable record of him possessing and leaving behind anything else.

Rather, the fact that he had to set aside seven hundred dirhams from his salary in order to purchase a servant shows that he had no other means. Perhaps, his entire estate was only US $5,000 (five thousand US dollars) at the most.

Most Ascetic Among the Sahabah
# Al-Hafiz Ibn Kathir (d. 774 H) documents:

Yahya b. Ma’in – ‘Ali b. al-Ja’d – al-Hasan b. Salih:

They mentioned ascetism in the presence of ‘Umar b. ‘Abd al-‘Aziz. Some people said, “So and -so (is the most ascetic)”. Others said, “So-and-so (is the most ascetic)”. So, ‘Umar b. ‘Abd al-‘Aziz said, “The most ascetic of mankind - as far as this world (i.e. material possessions, power, and worldly pleasures) is concerned - is ‘Ali b. Abi Talib.”
Source: Abu al-Fida Isma’il b. Kathir al-Dimashqi, al-Bidayah wa al-Nihayah (Dar Ihya al-Turath al-‘Arabi; 1st edition, 1408 H) [annotator: ‘Ali Shiri], vol. 8, p. 6

# Imam al-Hakim (d. 403 H) documents a Sahabi:

Abu Bakr b. Ishaq – al-Hasan b. ‘Ali b. Ziyad al-Sirri – Hamid b. Yahya al-Balakhi –Sufyan Isma’il b. Abi Khalid – Qays b. Abi Hazim:

I was in Madinah. While I was moving around in the market, oil stones arrived. So, I saw some people crowding around a Persian man who was riding an animal and cursing ‘Ali b. Abi Talib. People stood round him when Sa’d b. Abi Waqqas turned and stood in front of them and he asked, “What is this?” They replied, “A man cursing ‘Ali b. Abi Talib.” So, Sa’d moved forward and they made way for him until he stood before him and said, “O you! On what basis do you curse ‘Ali b. Abi Talib? Is he not the first to accept Islam? Is he not the first to perform Salat with the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him? Is he not the most ascetic of mankind?”

Al-Hakim declares: This hadith has a sahih chain.

Al-Dhahabi (d. 748 H) confirms: (Sahih) upon the standard of al-Bukhari and Muslim

Source: al-Mustadrak ‘ala al-Ṣahihayn (Beirut: Dar alKutub al-’Ilmiyyah; 1st edition, 1411 H) [annotator: Mustafa ‘Abd al-Qadir ‘Ata], vol. 3, p. 571, # 6121
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 13, 2016
BeansAndBread:

By brother hani

No companion did so. There was virtual unanimity on pledging allegiance to Abubakr (ra) as the khalifah, and accepting his superiority and that of Umar ibn alKhattab's (ra) even for those who later supported Ali (ra) at Siffin etc. The proposal to give Ali (ra) special status above the earlier caliphs was the mastermind of the jew Abdullah bin Saba', who initiated the ideology of the twelver shias.
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by AlBaqir(m): 2:35pm On May 13, 2016
Farmerforlife:

No companion did so.

Obviously you just open a thread and comment. You never bother to read replies and comments. That's laughable. Sihah ahadith have been submitted whereby many sahabah accepted Ali's superiority over all other Sahabah. Anyway for the fifth time, here are few examples:

Imam Ibn 'Abd al-Barr (d. 463H) documents:

"Salman, Abu Dharr, al-Miqdad, Khabab, Jabir, Abu Sa'id al-Khudri and Zayd b. Arqam narrated that 'Ali b. Abi Talib, may Allah be pleased with him, was the first to accept Islam, and they considered him the most superior (among the Sahabah)."
Source: Al-Isti'ab fi Ma'rifat al-Ashab, vol. 3, p. 1090, # 1855}

Another Sahabi was Abu al-Tufayl (RA). Imam al-Dhahabi writes about him:
"The name of Abu al-Tufayl was 'Amir b. Wathilah b. 'Abd Allah b. 'Amr al-Laythi al-Kanani al-Hijazi, the Shi'i. He was from the Shi'ah of Imam 'Ali." Source: Siyar A'lam al-Nubala, vol. 3, p. 468, #97}

Imam Ibn 'Abd al-Barr adds:
"He was a Shi'i of 'Ali and considered him the most superior. He used to extol the two Shayks, Abu Bakr and 'Umar, and would ask for Allah's mercy upon 'Uthman." Source: Al-Isti'ab fi Ma'rifat al-Ashab, vol. 4, p. 1697, #3054}

Al-Hafiz explains the words of Ibn 'Abd al-Barr above:
"Abu 'Umar said: He accepted the merit of Abu Bakr and Umar but he considered 'Ali to be the most superior."
Source: Al-Isabah fi Tamyiz al-sahabah, vol. 7, p. 193, #10166

Farmerforlife:

There was virtual unanimity on pledging allegiance to Abubakr (ra) as the khalifah, and accepting his superiority and that of Umar ibn alKhattab's (ra) even for those who later supported Ali (ra) at Siffin etc.

#1. To say the allegiance to Abu Bakr was free, fair and agreed without opposition is sheer lie.

Imam al-Bukhari (d. 256 H) records:

'Abd al-Azīz b. 'Abd Allāh – Ibrāhīm b. Sa'd – Ṣāliḥ – Ibn Shihāb – 'Ubayd Allāh b. 'Abd Allāh b. 'Utbah b. Mas'ūd – Ibn 'Abbās:

I used to teach qirāt to some men from the Muhājirūn, among them were 'Abd al-Raḥman b. 'Awf. So, while I was in his house in Minā, and he was with 'Umar b. al-Khaṭṭāb during the last Ḥajj which he performed, 'Abd al-Raḥman came to me and said, “If only you had seen a man who came to Amīr al-Mūminīn today, saying:

'O Amīr al- Mūminīn! What do you say about so-and-so? He says, “When ‘Umar dies, I will pledge allegiance to so-and-so, for, I swear by Allāh, the pledge of allegiance given to Abū Bakr was nothing but an error and it succeeded." So, 'Umar became angry. Then, he said, 'Inshā Allāh, I will stand before the people tonight and will warn them against these people who want to usurp their affairs…”. So, 'Umar sat on the pulpit, and when the muezzins became silent, he stood up. He praised Allāh as He deserved. Then he said:

"Now then … I have been informed that a speaker amongst you says, ‘I swear by Allāh, when ‘Umar dies, I will pledge allegiance to so-and-so.’ One should not deceive oneself by saying that the pledge of allegiance given to Abū Bakr was an error and it succeeded. NO DOUBT, IT WAS SURELY LIKE THAT. However, Allāh saved from its EVIL. And there is none amongst you towards whom throats are slit like Abū Bakr. Whosoever pledges allegiance to anyone without consultation with the Muslims, then neither that person nor the person to whom the pledge of allegiance was given, is to be supported. Rather, they both should be killed. And, verily, there was someone who informed us when Allāh took the life of His Prophet, peace be upon him, that the Anṣār opposed us and gathered, all of them, at Saqīfah Banī Sā’idah; and [size=15pt]‘Alī, al-Zubair and whoever was with them both, also opposed us[/size]; and the Muhājirūn gathered towards Abū Bakr. So, I said to Abū Bakr, 'O Abū Bakr! Let us go to these brothers of ours from the Anṣār." As a result, we went, seeking them. When we approached them, two righteous men from them met us, and informed us of the final decision of the people, and both of them said, "O group of Muhājirūn, where are you going?" Then, we said, "We are going to these brothers of ours from the Anṣār." They said, "You should not go near them. Decide your affair." So, I said, "I swear by Allāh, we will go to them." Therefore, we went until we reached them at Saqīfah Banī Sā'idah. There was a wrapped man amongst them. Then, I said, "Who is that?" They said, "This is Sa'd b. 'Ubādah." Then, I said, „What is wrong with him?" They said, "He is sick." After we had sat for a little period, their speaker testified. He praised Allāh as He deserved. Then, he said, 'Now then, we are the Anṣār (Helpers) of Allāh and the battalion of Islām, and you Muhājirūn are a small group. Some people from your people have come, seeking to cut us off from our root and to prevent us from authority."

When he became silent, I intended to talk and I had prepared a speech which I really loved. I intended to deliver it in the presence of Abū Bakr, and I used to avoid provoking him. So, when I wanted to speak, Abū Bakr said, "Wait a while", and I hated to make him angry. Therefore, Abū Bakr spoke, and he was more patient and more dignified than I was. I swear by Allāh, he did not miss a sentence that I really loved from my prepared speech, except that he said the like of it or better "What you stated about yourself in terms of good things, you truly deserve it. And this authority will never be recognized except for this living person from Quraysh. They are the best of the Arabs in terms of lineage and family."

Ref: {Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 6, p. 2503, #6442}.

#2. According to your documents, 'Ali ibn Abi Talib only paid allegiance to Abu Bakr AFTER SIX MONTHS WHEN PEOPLE STARTED FEELING ANIMOSITY TOWARDS HIM {Sahih bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 546}

In summary, three distinct obvious groups emerged after the demise of the Prophet on the issue of Khilafah:

* The Ansar (Helper) who planned coup at the Saqifah of Bani Saidah

* The Muhajirun who sided with Abu Bakr and Umar *

* 'Ali, Zubayr and their supporters who opposed the first two groups.

While the camp of Abu Bakr and Umar was able to won the Ansar to their camp eventually, the group of 'Ali was not flinched from their opposition.

ALI'S THOUGHT OF ABU BAKR AND UMAR

# Imam Muslim records Umar ibn al-khattab saying:

"When the Messenger of Allah (s) died, Abu Bakr said: “I am the WALI of the Messenger of Allāh (s). So both of you (Ali and Abbas) thought him (i.e. Abu Bakr) to be a LIAR, SINFUL, a TRAITOR and DISHONEST. And Allah knows that he was really truthful, pious, rightly-guided and a follower of the truth. Abū Bakr died and I became the WALI of the Messenger of Allāh (s) and the walī of Abū Bakr. So both of you thought me to be a LIAR, SINFUL, a TRAITOR and DISHONEST"

Ref: {Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim (Beirut: Dār Iḥyā al-Turāth al-'Arabī), vol. 3, p. 1376, #1757}

#3. And Bibi Fatima az-Zahra Never ever paid allegiance to Abubakar; in fact, she was angry at him and never talked to him till she departed this world. Some tried to cover this by saying fadak issue caused the differences between them. And I say: Will Fatima bint Rasul, the flesh of Muhammad, the Chief of the women of paradise, will she be low and emotional that a mere land will cause not paying allegiance to the Imam of her time knowing that her father (saws) said, "whoever dies without paying allegiance to the Imam of his time died the death of Jahiliyah". This is evident that she never accepted Abubakar as God chosen Imam of the time.

# 4. Prophet Nominates his Khilafah
Imam Ibn Asim (d. 287) documents:

Muḥammad b. al-Muthannā – Yaḥyā b. Ḥammād – Abū ‘Awānah – Yaḥyā b. Salīm Abū Balj – ‘Amr b. Maymūn – Ibn ‘Abbās:

The Messenger of Allah (s) said to 'Ali: "You are to me of the STATUS of Harun to Musa, with the EXCEPTION that you are not a prophet. And you are MY KHALIFAH over every believer AFTER ME."

Dr. Al-Jawabirah says: Its chain is Hasan

Ref: {'Kitab al-Sunnah (Dar al-Sami'i li al-Nahr wa al-Tawhi) [annotator: Dr. Al-Jawabirah], vol. 1, p. 799 - 800, #1222}

# 'Allamah al-Albani also comments: Its chain is hasan (sound).

Ref: {Kitab Sunnah (al-Maktab al-Islami; 1st Edition, 1400H) [annotator: Nasir deen al-Albani], vol. 2, p. 565, #1188

# Imam al-Hakim (d. 403H) declares: This hadith has a SAHIH chain.
Ref: {Al-Mustadrak ala al-Sahihayn, vol. 3, p. 143, #4652}

* Imam al-Dhahabi (d. 748H) concurs with Imam al-Hakim: SAHIH (authentic).

# Allamah Ahmad Shakir: Its Chain is sahih
Ref: {Musnad Imam Ahmad (Dar alHadith, 1416H) [annotator: Ahmad Shakir] vol. 1, p. 331, #3062}

# Imam al-Busiri (d. 840H): A sahih chain
Ref: {Itihaf al-khiyarah al-Maharah bi Zawaid al-Masanid al-'Ashara, vol. 7, p. 184, #6630

Farmerforlife:

The proposal to give Ali (ra) special status above the earlier caliphs was the mastermind of the jew Abdullah bin Saba', who initiated the ideology of the twelver shias.

grin Abdullah ibn Saba! I strongly challenge you to bring a single reliable Sunni athar on Abdullah ibn Saba and the so-called masterminded piece attributed to him. All Sunni athar on Abdullah ibn Saba with junks he is said to have masterminded are either Da'if jiddan (very weak) or Mawdoo (fabricated). This is what makes him non-existed.
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 13, 2016
AlBaqir:

Obviously you just open a thread and comment. You never bother to read replies and comments. That's laughable. Sihah ahadith have been submitted whereby many sahabah accepted Ali's superiority over all other Sahabah.

#1. To say the allegiance to Abu Bakr was free, fair and agreed without opposition is sheer lie.

Imam al-Bukhari (d. 256 H) records:

'Abd al-Azīz b. 'Abd Allāh – Ibrāhīm b. Sa'd – Ṣāliḥ – Ibn Shihāb – 'Ubayd Allāh b. 'Abd Allāh b. 'Utbah b. Mas'ūd – Ibn 'Abbās:

I used to teach qirāt to some men from the Muhājirūn, among them were 'Abd al-Raḥman b. 'Awf. So, while I was in his house in Minā, and he was with 'Umar b. al-Khaṭṭāb during the last Ḥajj which he performed, 'Abd al-Raḥman came to me and said, “If only you had seen a man who came to Amīr al-Mūminīn today, saying:

'O Amīr al- Mūminīn! What do you say about so-and-so? He says, “When ‘Umar dies, I will pledge allegiance to so-and-so, for, I swear by Allāh, the pledge of allegiance given to Abū Bakr was nothing but an error and it succeeded." So, 'Umar became angry. Then, he said, 'Inshā Allāh, I will stand before the people tonight and will warn them against these people who want to usurp their affairs…”. So, 'Umar sat on the pulpit, and when the muezzins became silent, he stood up. He praised Allāh as He deserved. Then he said:

"Now then … I have been informed that a speaker amongst you says, ‘I swear by Allāh, when ‘Umar dies, I will pledge allegiance to so-and-so.’ One should not deceive oneself by saying that the pledge of allegiance given to Abū Bakr was an error and it succeeded. NO DOUBT, IT WAS SURELY LIKE THAT. However, Allāh saved from its EVIL. And there is none amongst you towards whom throats are slit like Abū Bakr. Whosoever pledges allegiance to anyone without consultation with the Muslims, then neither that person nor the person to whom the pledge of allegiance was given, is to be supported. Rather, they both should be killed. And, verily, there was someone who informed us when Allāh took the life of His Prophet, peace be upon him, that the Anṣār opposed us and gathered, all of them, at Saqīfah Banī Sā’idah; and [size=15pt]‘Alī, al-Zubair and whoever was with them both, also opposed us[/size]; and the Muhājirūn gathered towards Abū Bakr. So, I said to Abū Bakr, 'O Abū Bakr! Let us go to these brothers of ours from the Anṣār." As a result, we went, seeking them. When we approached them, two righteous men from them met us, and informed us of the final decision of the people, and both of them said, "O group of Muhājirūn, where are you going?" Then, we said, "We are going to these brothers of ours from the Anṣār." They said, "You should not go near them. Decide your affair." So, I said, "I swear by Allāh, we will go to them." Therefore, we went until we reached them at Saqīfah Banī Sā'idah. There was a wrapped man amongst them. Then, I said, "Who is that?" They said, "This is Sa'd b. 'Ubādah." Then, I said, „What is wrong with him?" They said, "He is sick." After we had sat for a little period, their speaker testified. He praised Allāh as He deserved. Then, he said, 'Now then, we are the Anṣār (Helpers) of Allāh and the battalion of Islām, and you Muhājirūn are a small group. Some people from your people have come, seeking to cut us off from our root and to prevent us from authority."

When he became silent, I intended to talk and I had prepared a speech which I really loved. I intended to deliver it in the presence of Abū Bakr, and I used to avoid provoking him. So, when I wanted to speak, Abū Bakr said, "Wait a while", and I hated to make him angry. Therefore, Abū Bakr spoke, and he was more patient and more dignified than I was. I swear by Allāh, he did not miss a sentence that I really loved from my prepared speech, except that he said the like of it or better "What you stated about yourself in terms of good things, you truly deserve it. And this authority will never be recognized except for this living person from Quraysh. They are the best of the Arabs in terms of lineage and family."

Ref: {Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 6, p. 2503, #6442}.

#2. According to your documents, 'Ali ibn Abi Talib only paid allegiance to Abu Bakr AFTER SIX MONTHS WHEN PEOPLE STARTED FEELING ANIMOSITY TOWARDS HIM {Sahih bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 546}

In summary, three distinct obvious groups emerged after the demise of the Prophet on the issue of Khilafah:

* The Ansar (Helper) who planned coup at the Saqifah of Bani Saidah

* The Muhajirun who sided with Abu Bakr and Umar *

* 'Ali, Zubayr and their supporters who opposed the first two groups.

While the camp of Abu Bakr and Umar was able to won the Ansar to their camp eventually, the group of 'Ali was not flinched from their opposition.

ALI'S THOUGHT OF ABU BAKR AND UMAR

# Imam Muslim records Umar ibn al-khattab saying:

"When the Messenger of Allah (s) died, Abu Bakr said: “I am the WALI of the Messenger of Allāh (s). So both of you (Ali and Abbas) thought him (i.e. Abu Bakr) to be a LIAR, SINFUL, a TRAITOR and DISHONEST. And Allah knows that he was really truthful, pious, rightly-guided and a follower of the truth. Abū Bakr died and I became the WALI of the Messenger of Allāh (s) and the walī of Abū Bakr. So both of you thought me to be a LIAR, SINFUL, a TRAITOR and DISHONEST"

Ref: {Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim (Beirut: Dār Iḥyā al-Turāth al-'Arabī), vol. 3, p. 1376, #1757}

#3. And Bibi Fatima az-Zahra Never ever paid allegiance to Abubakar; in fact, she was angry at him and never talked to him till she departed this world. Some tried to cover this by saying fadak issue caused the differences between them. And I say: Will Fatima bint Rasul, the flesh of Muhammad, the Chief of the women of paradise, will she be low and emotional that a mere land will cause not paying allegiance to the Imam of her time knowing that her father (saws) said, "whoever dies without paying allegiance to the Imam of his time died the death of Jahiliyah". This is evident that she never accepted Abubakar as God chosen Imam of the time.

# 4. Prophet Nominates his Khilafah
Imam Ibn Asim (d. 287) documents:

Muḥammad b. al-Muthannā – Yaḥyā b. Ḥammād – Abū ‘Awānah – Yaḥyā b. Salīm Abū Balj – ‘Amr b. Maymūn – Ibn ‘Abbās:

The Messenger of Allah (s) said to 'Ali: "You are to me of the STATUS of Harun to Musa, with the EXCEPTION that you are not a prophet. And you are MY KHALIFAH over every believer AFTER ME."

Dr. Al-Jawabirah says: Its chain is Hasan

Ref: {'Kitab al-Sunnah (Dar al-Sami'i li al-Nahr wa al-Tawhi) [annotator: Dr. Al-Jawabirah], vol. 1, p. 799 - 800, #1222}

# 'Allamah al-Albani also comments: Its chain is hasan (sound).

Ref: {Kitab Sunnah (al-Maktab al-Islami; 1st Edition, 1400H) [annotator: Nasir deen al-Albani], vol. 2, p. 565, #1188

# Imam al-Hakim (d. 403H) declares: This hadith has a SAHIH chain.
Ref: {Al-Mustadrak ala al-Sahihayn, vol. 3, p. 143, #4652}

* Imam al-Dhahabi (d. 748H) concurs with Imam al-Hakim: SAHIH (authentic).

# Allamah Ahmad Shakir: Its Chain is sahih
Ref: {Musnad Imam Ahmad (Dar alHadith, 1416H) [annotator: Ahmad Shakir] vol. 1, p. 331, #3062}

# Imam al-Busiri (d. 840H): A sahih chain
Ref: {Itihaf al-khiyarah al-Maharah bi Zawaid al-Masanid al-'Ashara, vol. 7, p. 184, #6630

grin Abdullah ibn Saba! I strongly challenge you to bring a single reliable Sunni athar on Abdullah ibn Saba and the so-called masterminded piece attributed to him. All Sunni athar on Abdullah ibn Saba with junks he is said to have masterminded are either Da'if jiddan (very weak) or Mawdoo (fabricated). This is what makes him non-existed.

Why do you always post so much, with bold fonts and bright colours? I find that the one who has the least to say usually says the most, hoping that something somewhere will make sense or that at least, enough confusion will be created in the mind of the reader to place some doubt that the speaker knows what he is talking about. Any person who has written an exam question where he/she had a dim general idea of the topic, but no tangible specifics knows this. Truth should be short, straight to the point, and concise... unless of course, you are trying to twist your tongue, or are you?

First, there is no doubt that Ali (ra) had a respectful position with the companions, and was one of the ten promised aljannah, so you need not repeat all the hadith recalling his virtues. However, if you insist on doing so, then it would only be just for you to also narrate all the hadith of the virtues of Abubakr and Umar (ra) as well, or do you not know any?

Secondly, when I say sahaba, I meant all the prominent ones. Saad bin Ubadah was virtually the only dissenter, and that was because he desired the khilafah himself. As for Ali and azZubeir also oppossing them, didnt you say they were busy washing the body of the prophet (ﷺ) at the time of the Saqifah incident?

Thirdly, Fatima was not expected to give the bay'ah to Abubakr (ra) nor asked to, being a woman. However, she admitted his khilafah by making him the waliul amr over her inheritance as you Shias keep wailing. Ali (ra) also defended Abubakr's khilafah (ra) by fighting under him during the battles of the riddah, when Madinah was attacked.

As for Abdullah bin Saba', he is affirmed not only by Sunni historians, but by Shia historians and also[b] your 'Imams[/b]'.

http://allaahuakbar.net/articles.php?id=185#sthash.TLXmYodY.dpbs

http://everything.explained.today/Abdullah_ibn_Saba'/

And lastly, your hadith claiming that Umar concurred that Abubakr's khilafah was in error, or the second (edited by you) hadith over the incident when alAbbass (ra) and Ali (ra all) were fighting over the proceeds from the same Fadak and had to go to their Caliph Umar (ra) for arbitration were grossly misquoted and misinterpreted. There is a beautiful explanation of this hadith by vedaxcool on NL already.

https://www.nairaland.com/1234196/tbabaplease-explain-hadith

Please stop the dishonesty, or at least have the courtesy to quote the hadith in full and in context. Incidentally, you have mixed up the wordings of the hadith in Bukhari with those of the hadith (19, 4349) in sahih Muslim. I dont want to believe that this tadlees was deliberate.

Stay in peace, and may Allah guide us aright.

1 Like

Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by AlBaqir(m): 11:44pm On May 13, 2016
Oh! I can see you have silently dropped your first submission that No sahabah consider 'Ali (alayhi Salam) the most superior. That's a good start.

Farmerforlife:

Why do you always post so much, with bold fonts and bright colours? I find that the one who has the least to say usually says the most, hoping that something somewhere will make sense or that at least, enough confusion will be created in the mind of the reader to place some doubt that the speaker knows what he is talking about. Any person who has written an exam question where he/she had a dim general idea of the topic, but no tangible specifics knows this. Truth should be short, straight to the point, and concise... unless of course, you are trying to twist your tongue, or are you?

First its your choice to write short sentences. Crying over your opponents "epistle" is not tenable. Besides you reply to my comment at your own will. Welcome to my world. Trying to impose your choice on others is rude.

@bold, even there are long surahs in the noble Quran and they are altogether with short surahs the best of words. You can keep your excuses into your thoughts.

Farmerforlife:

First, there is no doubt that Ali (ra) had a respectful position with the companions, and was one of the ten promised aljannah, so you need not repeat all the hadith recalling his virtues. However, if you insist on doing so, then it would only be just for you to also narrate all the hadith of the virtues of Abubakr and Umar (ra) as well, or do you not know any?

Obviously you are lost. Where exactly did I recount the "many" or a single fadhail (virtues) of Ali? I only exposed your feeble and fanciful talk that all sahabah paid allegiance to the first Khalifah. And in lieu of that, I hinted "the reason" why Ali, Fatima and co refused to recognize the first Khalifah on the obvious reason that the only person ever pronounced by the prophet as his successor was Imam 'Ali.

How does citing Hadith Khalifah in the dialogue of Khilafah constitute to recalling Ali's virtues?

* Second, you equal kept mute on this point that "some Sahabah" opposed the Khilafah of Abubakar.

Farmerforlife:

Secondly, when I say sahaba, I meant all the prominent ones.

Please who the hell are you to meant that? Where in the world is all sahabah = prominent sahabah? Even if that was your thought, how would I know? I simply respond to your wordings.

Farmerforlife:

Saad bin Ubadah was virtually the only dissenter, and that was because he desired the khilafah himself. As for Ali and azZubeir also oppossing them, didnt you say they were busy washing the body of the prophet (ﷺ) at the time of the Saqifah incident?

How does the two points conflicted each other? Incident of saqifah was the first event. Imam Ali and the rest of Ahlulbayt and many sahabah were NEVER at Saqifah of Banu Saidah. Only Abubakar, Umar and Abu Ubayd Allah al-Jarrah (and probably some Muhajirun) were present. This is where all present (except Saad b. Ubadah and few) at Saqidah gave Bay'a to Abubakar.

* After the event at Saqifah, the news of the new Khalifah spread and the masses were asked to come to the mosque to give their allegiance. This is where some groups opposed.

Do me a favour please: Read your history! Its a testimony against you.

Farmerforlife:

Thirdly, Fatima was not expected to give the bay'ah to Abubakr (ra) nor asked to, being a woman.

First, even your prestigious Sahih Bukhari uses alayha Salam for Bibi Fatima. Nasibi will never do but of course will feel comfortable with (RA) for he who himself never ceased seeking salawat upon Fatima and the rest of Ahlulbayt.

Second, when the Prophet, salallahu alayhi wa Ahli,declared that whoever dies without bay'a to the Imam of his time dies the death of Jahiliyyah, does the prophet exempt women?

* Were there not reports that women came to pay allegiance for Rasulul azam?

Farmerforlife:

However, she admitted his khilafah by making him the waliul amr over her inheritance as you Shias keep wailing.

Your case is becoming worse, man. Your sahih Bukhari documents that Fatima (salamullah alayha) never spoke to Abubakar after the incident of fadak till she died yet your eminence said she made Abubakar her Wali amr?! Smh!

Farmerforlife:

Ali (ra) also defended Abubakr's khilafah (ra) by fighting under him during the battles of the riddah, when Madinah was attacked.
Evidence please that Ali fought in the battle?

Farmerforlife:

As for Abdullah bin Saba', he is affirmed not only by Sunni historians, but by Shia historians and also[b] your 'Imams[/b]'.

http://allaahuakbar.net/articles.php?id=185#sthash.TLXmYodY.dpbs

http://everything.explained.today/Abdullah_ibn_Saba'/

Am sorry I don't read shit. I simply ask you just a single sahih athar from any of your books about the boogey Abdullah ibn Saba and the theories your ulama conjured up for him. Mr man, just one Sahih athar will do. Again I am confident Sunni does not have.

* You can take the fight to my backyard please by quoting a sahih Shi'i hadith or athar indicating all the conjectures your Ulama attributed to him.

Farmerforlife:

And lastly, your hadith claiming that Umar concurred that Abubakr's khilafah was in error,

How does a quotation from Sunni Sahih became my hadith @underlined?

Farmerforlife:

or the second (edited by you) hadith over the incident when alAbbass (ra) and Ali (ra all) were fighting over the proceeds from the same Fadak and had to go to their Caliph Umar (ra) for arbitration were grossly misquoted and misinterpreted. There is a beautiful explanation of this hadith by vedaxcool on NL already.

https://www.nairaland.com/1234196/tbabaplease-explain-hadith
Please stop the dishonesty, or at least have the courtesy to quote the hadith in full and in context

# Quoting in full does not distort or damage the text at all. The question is why did Umar never ever talk on what the two (Imam Ali and Hazrat Abbas) came for rather choose to reveal what is in their heart about their thoughts on Abubakar and himself (Umar)? The thought of labelling them (Abubakar and Umar) Liars, Dishonest, Sinful and traitor.

That is what kill and destroy the whole excuses.

Farmerforlife:

. Incidentally, you have mixed up the wordings of the hadith in Bukhari with those of the hadith (19, 4349) in sahih Muslim. I dont want to believe that this tadlees was deliberate.

Kindly shame the devil by quoting it rightly perhaps with its Arabic text. The problem here on NL, Arabic quotations usually attracts antispam bot ban. If not that, would have quoted both instead of English only.

Farmerforlife:

Stay in peace, and may Allah guide us aright.

Peace. And Amin.
Re: Did Some Sahaba Preferred Ali(r.a) Over Abubakr(r.a)? by AlBaqir(m): 4:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
AlBaqir:
@udatso, Is it a sin to discuss the Sahabah, who is the best among them? Even there are lots of authentic reports that Sahabah themselves engaged in that. For example, Imam Ahmad documents:

Abd Allah (b. Muhammad b. Abd al-Aziz al-Baghwi) - my grandfather (Ahmad b. Muni al-Baghwi) - Abu Qatan - Shu'bah - Abu Ishaq - Abd Allah b. Yazid - Alqamah - Abd Allah b. Mas'ud:
"We used to say that the overall best of the people of Madinah was Ali ibn Abi Talib."
Ref: Ahmad b. Hanbal al-Shaybani, Fadail al-Sahabah (Beirut: Muasassat al-Risalah; 1403 H)[annotator: Dr. Wasiyullah Muhammad Abbas], vol.2, p.646,#1097

On the contrary, Imam Muslim records Abdullah Ibn Umar to have said:
"During the lifetime of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, we never considered anyone as equal to Abu Bakr, then Umar, and then Uthman. Then, we leave the Sahabah of the prophet, peace be upon him, AND WE DID NOT CONSIDERED ANY OF THEM TO BE SUPERIOR TO ANOTHER"

#2. Even our Lord, the Most High, disclose in His glorious book how some Prophets were superior than the others. For example,
"We have made some of these apostles to excel the others among them are they to whom Allah spoke, and some of them He exalted by (many degrees of) rank; and We gave clear miracles to Isa son of Marium, and strengthened him with the holy spirit..." {[surah al-Baqarah:253]}

And He also disclose how some Sahabah of the Prophet were superior in spiritual ranks than the others. Surah an-Nisa: 95 talks about two types of Sahabah and their ranks with Allah:
"[color=000099]The holders back from among the believers, not having any injury, and those who strive hard in Allah's way with their property and their persons are not equal; Allah has made the strivers with their property and their persons to excel the holders back a (high) degree, and to each (class) Allah has promised good; and Allah shall grant to the strivers above the holders back a mighty reward[/color]"

#3. Interestingly, the prophet was equally dragged to the debate. For example:

Imam Ahmad records: Amr b. al-'As:
"The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, appointed me as commander of the army of Dhat Salasil. So, I got to him, and said, "O Messenger of Allah, WHICH OF MANKIND IS THE MOST BELOVED TO YOU?" He replied, "Aisha." I said, "Who among the men?" He replied, "Her father." I asked, "Then who?" He replied, "Umar."

Sheik al-Arnaut comments: It is Sahih according to the standards of the two Sheiks (Bukhari and Muslim)
Ref: Musnad (Cairo: Muasassat Qurtubah)[annotator: Shuaib al-Arnaut], vol.4, p.203, #17844.

On the contrary, Al-Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (d. 852 H) states:
"Ahmad, Abu Dawud and al-Nasai have recorded with a Sahih Chain from Nu'man b. Bashir:

Abu Bakr sought permission to enter the house of the Prophet, peace be upon him, and heard the voice of 'Aishah, very loud, and she was saying (to the prophet), "I HAVE KNOWN THAT 'ALI IS MORE BELOVED TO YOU THAN MY FATHER
."
Ref: Fath al-Bari sharh Sahih al-Bukhari (Beirut: Dar al-Marifah Li al-Taba'ah wa al-Nashr, 2nd edition), vol.7, p.19

Imam Ahmad also records:

Abd Allah (b. Ahmad) - my father (Ahmad b. Hanbal) - Abu Na'im - Yunus - al-'Ayzar b. Hurayth - al-Nu'man b. Bashir:

Abu Bakr sought the permission of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, to enter his house, and heard the voice of Aishah, very loud. She was saying, "I SWEAR BY ALLAH, I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT 'ALI IS MORE BELOVED TO YOU THAN MY FATHER AND ME." She said it twice or thrice. So, Abu Bakr sought permission (again) and entered, and reached for her, and said, "O daughter of such-and-such woman! Did I hear you raising your voice upon the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him?"

Shaykh al-Ar'naut says: Its Chain is Hasan.
Ref: Musnad (Cairo: Muasassat Qurtubah)[annotator: Shuaib al-Ar'naut], vol.4, p.275, #18444

# Umm al-Mu'minin Aisha, even after her discovery, never backed down. Here is a sahih report:
Imam Ahmad (6/241) records:

'Abd al-Wahid al-Hadad - Kahmas - Abd Allah b. Shaqiq:

I said to 'Aishah, "Which of mankind was the most beloved to the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him?" Aishah said, "Aishah". I said, "What about among men?". She said, "Her father".

Ref: {Silsilah al-Ahadith al-Da'ifah wa al-Mawdu'ah wa Atharihah al-Sayyiah fi al-Ummah (Riyadh: Dar al-Ma'arif; 1st ed. 1412 H), vol. 3, p.254, #1124}

And never forget hadith of the bird. Imam al-Tirmidhi in his Sahih Sunan, Kitab manaqib (book on virtues), Imam Ibn Asakir (d. 571 H) records:
Abu Ghalib b. al-Bana - Abu al-Husayn b. al-Abnusi - Abu al-Hasan al-Daraqutni - Muhammad b. Mukhlid b. Hafs - Hatim b. al-Layth - Ubayd Allah b. Musa - Isa b. Umar al-Qari - al-Suddi - Anas b. Malik:

Birds were given as gifts to the Messenger of Allah. So, he distributed them and left a bird. Then he said, "O Allah, bring to me THE MOST BELOVED TO YOU OF YOUR CREATION to eat with me from this bird. So, Ali ibn Abi Talib came and entered and ate with him from that bird
." Ref: Tarikh Madinah Dimashq (Beirut: Dar al-Fikr; 1415 H) [annotator: Ali Shiri], vol.42, p. 254.

So, brother udatso, why cant we unravel this subject?! Unfortunately, what should have been an academic research and dialogue with excellent submissions and sound exhortations usually go emotional.

BeansAndBread, do you really concur with what you have copy-pasted? So are you ready to defend it? As you know, my position is that Imam Ali (alayhi Salam) was the best of Sahabah. We can explore this using Quran and authentic ahadith side-by-side with the First Khalifah.

WA Salam alaykum

Newnas:
The excellence of Abu Bakr after the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace

Hadith no :3530

Narrated Ibn `Umar:

We used to compare the people as to who was better during the lifetime of Allah''''s Apostle . We used to regard Abu Bakr as the best, then `Umar, and then `Uthman .

# Hope you have gotten reply to your challenge. Please, stop derailing thread. Make your challenge at an appropriate thread.

(1) (Reply)

Age Of Mary And Joseph-response To Oyb / Ten Types Of Modesty. / Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 250
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.