Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs (1841 Views)

4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! / What Successful Entrepreneurs Do Before 7 A.m / 21 Success Tips For Young And Aspiring Entrepreneurs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by TrollinStone: 1:34am On May 05, 2016
As at 2016 Silicon Valley has become the single most competitive professional environment on the planet. Where 20 or 30 years ago, the masters of the universe went to Wall Street to make their fortunes, today those same unapologetically ambitious people (primarily, but not exclusively, men) make their way to Silicon Valley.

For these 0.0001% of the most competitive humans on the planet, anything they can do to keep out additional competition (other founders, not employees. They want employees.), they will do. It's human nature.

Then, these competitive founders become competitive venture capitalists, and they take the same ways they sized up the competition as operators into the ways that they evaluate founders, giving more credibility to those formidable foes they met in past battles going all the way back to the playground.

This is the arena.

It's not an arena that's easy for anyone. However, given this context you can see how technology entrepreneurship among competing masters of the universe is especially challenging for women and people of color to dive in.

I don't have to tell you this; the social science research and basic statistics do the work for me.

But it also isn't the point. The only question an entrepreneur should ask is, "What do I need to do to win in the arena?"

Here are a few things I believe make it possible to compete effectively when you don't fit the dominant pattern of people who were born with every opportunity and the expectation that they could be the next Bill Gates:

Pick a lane. Don't just start a tech startup to start a tech startup. It's too hard. Rather, go deep on a mission, market or domain that captures your curiosity, and that you can imagine working on for the next 10 years. Get extraordinarily good at what you do. Be so good that people come to you for your expertise.

Put down the playbook. The startup playbook is fed by endless posts by newly minted venture capitalists about what they look for in entrepreneurs, what they think makes a great pitch, how you should talk about your market and what growth hacks work today. The audience for this playbook fits a certain profile of entrepreneur who will be judged on their potential & nothing else, no stereotypes or discrimination. This rarely happens in reality. It's a fact. As an entrepreneur, you figure out how to hack around facts.

Control your own destiny. Use shortcuts and as little capital as you can to start generating revenue. To hack around the facts, I believe the most important question to ask yourself is, "How do I get them to come to me?"
Adi Tatarko at Houzz created the company with her husband before taking a dollar of investment. She saw the opportunity to bring together the supply of professionals and home decorating enthusiasts that makes Houzz special. She and Alon created something people loved. Including investors. They came to her.
When I look at success stories like Houzz, or SurveyMonkey and GitHub, who both bootstrapped their way to revenue before raising money, they all figured out how to show massive growth and revenue without capital. It's possible.

Work smarter, not harder. This is the most non-intuitive observation I will probably make. If you want to compete in the arena, hard work isn't enough. And judging yourself on how hard you work, rather than how smart you work can be fatal.
If you value hard work alone, you'll find yourself taking 10 months to raise the same amount of funds an entrepreneur who fits the pattern just raised in a few weeks with a competitive process. Your job as an entrepreneur in this situation is not to say, "I'm going to just keep going." It's to say, "What can I do to show results or build the thing I am passionate about bringing into this world without needing anyone's money?"

This is your chance to work smarter. You can find shortcuts that allow you to serve your market and show amazing results before you have to raise a dime.
If you work smarter, you'll win.

Get a good mentor or mentors. Why? There are many experiences you will have that they've already passed through, and so will have tips on how to pull through handy. Like going into an exam & you've seen the questions already.

Join Groups

Network Attend and connect with as many events in your desired industry/ location. Pick a lane is akin to - don't spread yourself too thin. Sort out what you believe you want to do, and go learn what you don't know. Who knows where you'll end up, but surely it will be somewhere great because of the hard work you put into your journey.
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by oginineme(f): 10:00am On May 08, 2016
@OP am still at lost with what you intend to achieve with this post.
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by oluwadaemilola: 5:06pm On May 16, 2016
sorry op is trying to make something out of today's youth
oginineme:
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by kesses: 12:05pm On May 17, 2016
OP i want to open a Tecno phone shop plis can advice me
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Hybrid01: 3:35pm On May 17, 2016
I am an entrepreneur in a way as I produce liquid soaps in nice packs. I am thinking of adding detergents,creams (hair and body) and bar soaps to the list. I am scared of competition though as we have big names producing these things already. What do you think?
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Africanman123(m): 5:43am On May 27, 2016
With the way the Nigerian economy is going, entrepreneurship is the way forward oo.
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by omoalajah(m): 4:46pm On May 28, 2016
I have known for a very long time that entrepreneurship is the way forward. No dulling.
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by pcoolioz(m): 10:22pm On May 29, 2016
oginineme:

its probably to educate people like you....entrepreneurship is key in our economy today
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Marinza(m): 12:09am On May 30, 2016
Entrepreneurship is the way forward now, byt funds to support it is another problem
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Damiandark01: 8:17am On May 30, 2016
I still feel not everyone was meant to be an entrepreneur
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by brook75: 5:56am On May 31, 2016
Damiandark01:

hmmmm, every one is sups to at least try.
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by johnjameson: 11:34pm On May 31, 2016
Hybrid01:
I am an entrepreneur in a way as I produce liquid soaps in nice packs. I am thinking of adding detergents,creams (hair and body) and bar soaps to the list. I am scared of competition though as we have big names producing these things already. What do you think?
its okay to be scared but it would be worse if you dont try
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by tymajek: 6:40pm On Jun 01, 2016
True....some people are too skillful to sit back in and office and give commands...they need to be on the field!

Damiandark01:
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Harlequin17: 10:07pm On Jun 01, 2016
Africanman123:
With the way the Nigerian economy is going, entrepreneurship is the way forward oo.
thats true but its not as easy at it seems sha, when capital should disappear in the first month its not going to be funny
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by thatintrovert: 11:07pm On Jun 01, 2016
when you have ideas but not too much capital things can be harder than you think
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by kendrick2: 11:55pm On Jun 01, 2016
tymajek:
True....some people are too skillful to sit back in and office and give commands...they need to be on the field!

just to use that expert eye to make a difference
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Minesota1(f): 4:55am On Jun 02, 2016
Great words
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by tymajek: 1:50pm On Jun 02, 2016
You get my point shey?

kendrick2:

just to use that expert eye to make a difference
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by stevepeters: 11:44pm On Jun 02, 2016
Well noted. That mentor aspect!? Most of our established people aint ready to share!?

TrollinStone:
As at 2016 Silicon Valley has become the single most competitive professional environment on the planet. Where 20 or 30 years ago, the masters of the universe went to Wall Street to make their fortunes, today those same unapologetically ambitious people (primarily, but not exclusively, men) make their way to Silicon Valley.

For these 0.0001% of the most competitive humans on the planet, anything they can do to keep out additional competition (other founders, not employees. They want employees.), they will do. It's human nature.

Then, these competitive founders become competitive venture capitalists, and they take the same ways they sized up the competition as operators into the ways that they evaluate founders, giving more credibility to those formidable foes they met in past battles going all the way back to the playground.

This is the arena.

It's not an arena that's easy for anyone. However, given this context you can see how technology entrepreneurship among competing masters of the universe is especially challenging for women and people of color to dive in.

I don't have to tell you this; the social science research and basic statistics do the work for me.

But it also isn't the point. The only question an entrepreneur should ask is, "What do I need to do to win in the arena?"

Here are a few things I believe make it possible to compete effectively when you don't fit the dominant pattern of people who were born with every opportunity and the expectation that they could be the next Bill Gates:

Pick a lane. Don't just start a tech startup to start a tech startup. It's too hard. Rather, go deep on a mission, market or domain that captures your curiosity, and that you can imagine working on for the next 10 years. Get extraordinarily good at what you do. Be so good that people come to you for your expertise.

Put down the playbook. The startup playbook is fed by endless posts by newly minted venture capitalists about what they look for in entrepreneurs, what they think makes a great pitch, how you should talk about your market and what growth hacks work today. The audience for this playbook fits a certain profile of entrepreneur who will be judged on their potential & nothing else, no stereotypes or discrimination. This rarely happens in reality. It's a fact. As an entrepreneur, you figure out how to hack around facts.

Control your own destiny. Use shortcuts and as little capital as you can to start generating revenue. To hack around the facts, I believe the most important question to ask yourself is, "How do I get them to come to me?"
Adi Tatarko at Houzz created the company with her husband before taking a dollar of investment. She saw the opportunity to bring together the supply of professionals and home decorating enthusiasts that makes Houzz special. She and Alon created something people loved. Including investors. They came to her.
When I look at success stories like Houzz, or SurveyMonkey and GitHub, who both bootstrapped their way to revenue before raising money, they all figured out how to show massive growth and revenue without capital. It's possible.

Work smarter, not harder. This is the most non-intuitive observation I will probably make. If you want to compete in the arena, hard work isn't enough. And judging yourself on how hard you work, rather than how smart you work can be fatal.
If you value hard work alone, you'll find yourself taking 10 months to raise the same amount of funds an entrepreneur who fits the pattern just raised in a few weeks with a competitive process. Your job as an entrepreneur in this situation is not to say, "I'm going to just keep going." It's to say, "What can I do to show results or build the thing I am passionate about bringing into this world without needing anyone's money?"

This is your chance to work smarter. You can find shortcuts that allow you to serve your market and show amazing results before you have to raise a dime.
If you work smarter, you'll win.

Get a good mentor or mentors. Why? There are many experiences you will have that they've already passed through, and so will have tips on how to pull through handy. Like going into an exam & you've seen the questions already.

Join Groups

Network Attend and connect with as many events in your desired industry/ location. Pick a lane is akin to - don't spread yourself too thin. Sort out what you believe you want to do, and go learn what you don't know. Who knows where you'll end up, but surely it will be somewhere great because of the hard work you put into your journey.
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by creed266: 8:16am On Jun 03, 2016
I also want to start a business, capital is the major issue
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Harry17: 1:02pm On Jun 03, 2016
I like the point where it says work smarter not harder
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Cdave: 2:16pm On Jun 07, 2016
Yeah....i dig that part too.

Harry17:
I like the point where it says work smarter not harder
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Piusman: 5:39pm On Jun 07, 2016
Pick a lane.......i love that!
Re: Advice To Young & Aspiring Entrepreneurs by Piusman: 5:43pm On Jun 07, 2016
Most Nigerians are jack of all trades. They want to know everything sha

(1) (Reply)

How To Earn 100 Dollar On Facebook Daily 2018 / Highest Paying Bank / Characteristics Of A 21st Century Nigerian Youth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.