Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. (2762 Views)

Top 10 Hilarious Names Of Nigerian Churches (photos) / Names Of Victims Of Ozubulu Catholic Church Massacre Released / Non-Tithers Board: Church Publishes The Names Of Members Who Don't Pay Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. by EazyMoh(m): 1:06pm On May 05, 2016
An idea just crossed my mind after seeing some names of native African gods mentioned here on Nairaland. Names like Amadioha, Ifa Sango, Ogun et al always captivate me and make me think of all those African deities being worshiped by our ancestors before the coming of Islam and later Christianity.
In my society Kano, I grew up hearing stories of Hausa gods like Barbushe and Tsimburbura. They were worshiped in a shrine on top the famous Dutsen Dala and Gwauron Dutse mountains in Kano city.
Please share those in your localities.
PS Am not advocating for idol worship, am just interested in history.
List of Hausa (Maguzawa) gods in form of Masquerades.
1. Amarmara
2. Tagwaye
3. Baleri
4.Zandandan

1 Like

Re: Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. by PoliticalThuG(m): 1:10pm On May 05, 2016
Who african gods don help
Re: Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. by Adebola02(m): 1:11pm On May 05, 2016
Lai Mohammed the god of all Liars

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. by MabraO: 1:34pm On May 05, 2016
Fayose the god of madness
Re: Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. by Rossikk(m): 1:47pm On May 05, 2016
PoliticalThuG:
Who african gods don help
Who your white gods don help, apart from private jet pastor thieves?

2 Likes

Re: Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. by johnydon22(m): 1:52pm On May 05, 2016
Chukwu - Supreme impersonal Igbo God

intermediary deities

Amadioha (also called kamalu or igwekala) - God of thunder ruler of the skies

Ala - Goddess of the soil

Iyi - Goddess of the river

fijioku - God of yam

Ugwu - God of the hill

Ekwensu - God of tricks, mischief and most time success in trades.

Many others .... Igbos help me out here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. by naijamakossa(m): 2:39pm On May 05, 2016
God of bubu,this god is too strong,the power dey speed lik plane,anytime i call upon this gods to revenge no Matter anywhere in the world u dey he go reach and strike u.his next mission na France
Re: Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. by EazyMoh(m): 2:55pm On May 05, 2016
Wow Nice one johnudon22. So my favorite Amadioha is an Igbo god.
Let ask lalasticlala to help us ask more people after telling us his ancestors gods.
Re: Names Of African Gods; Share Your Ancestors Gods. by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 05, 2016
My ancestors only recognised one God, the creator of all the world. The spirits of the ancestors were revered not as gods but as the living dead, and they were considered the bridge between God and men. Kind of like the catholic intercessory thing with the churches dead saints.

When the white people came and were talking about a GOD Who Created heaven, earth, men, etc, we answered, we know that one, he is called mwami. We just did not know he had a son, or that He could talk to people. So Mwami is our God, and the God of our forefathers too.

(1) (Reply)

Is He Jesus Or "Yahshua"? / After Rapture, What Will Happen In The Earth? / IS THERE GOD?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.