Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? (4773 Views)

Luxury Buses Produced In Nigeria At 13th Lagos International Motor Fair (Photos) / See The Cars Produced By A Man In Imo State(photos) / The Army Jeep Innoson Motors Produced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by obeuno(m): 11:43am On May 06, 2016
I bought a brand new car battery in July 2015, but today, the Auto electrician is telling me that battery is dead after charging it for two days, he equally checked the efficiency of the car alternator and its working perfectly.
From further inquiry,on why it should be so after just 8months, i was told that it might have stayed long at the dealers shop.

The question now is How do I know when a car battery was produced? Is it written anywhere on the body of the battery? because i have checked and can't seem to see it.
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by Lexusgs430: 1:28pm On May 06, 2016
obeuno:
I bought a brand new car battery in July 2015, but today, the Auto electrician is telling me that battery is dead after charging it for two days, he equally checked the efficiency of the car alternator and its working perfectly.
From further inquiry,on why it should be so after just 8months, i was told that it might have stayed long at the dealers shop.

The question now is How do I know when a car battery was produced? Is it written anywhere on the body of the battery? because i have checked and can't seem to see it.

The battery you bought is what we call SUBSTANDARD!!! A brand new battery (ORIGINAL) working under normal and natural conditions, could last 10 years before showing signs of weak cells.
NB: After the 10 year would still perform normally, but battery polarity would be disintegrating!!!
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by obeuno(m): 2:03pm On May 06, 2016
Thanks Lexusgs430, so whats the way forward, how do i know (A brand new battery (ORIGINAL))
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by Lexusgs430: 2:11pm On May 06, 2016
obeuno:
Thanks Lexusgs430, so whats the way forward, how do i know (A brand new battery (ORIGINAL))

Unfortunately, by purchasing from Original battery manufacturers that throughly invest in testing and battery production ethics (which I don't think all those cowboys selling us batteries are)
They are simply selling us brand new below par and sub standard batteries
NB: Look for a BOSCH approved reseller(not those cowboys shops with bosch decals)
A good seller should give you 3 years warranty on the batteries they sell.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by cfanfx(m): 6:14pm On May 08, 2016
Please do you Have Any address for Bosch in
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by adanny01(m): 9:55pm On May 08, 2016
One thing we all should know is that 90% of the car batteries on the spare part shops are actually not "dry cells" but sealed "wet cell" batteries. dry cells are usually sealed while wet cells are open for maintenance. The spare part dealers cheat by sealing wet cell batteries like it was dry cell and sell as such.

We all know wet cells are cheaper and require maintenance unlike dry cells which are more expensive but maintenance free.

These dealers cash in to our ignorance by sealing wet cells like dry cells and selling at the cost of dry cells. Wet cell batteries have a longer shelf life because the acid is introduced after purchase. But with these sealed wet cell, they have the shortest shelf life. Thats why its a miracle if such batteries last more than a year.

When you go to buy battery next time, pick it up and give it a shake close to your ears. If you hear liquid, thats actually a "sealed wet cell".

Remember, wet cell batteries require maintenance, sealing it means you will not enjoy the battery after its maintenance is due.

Infact, the term "dry cell" has disappeared from most battery lables because of this cheat. I have decided to return to the old wet cell batteries which are as cheap as 7k but more relaible to the dry cell look alikes.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by ugreat(m): 1:47pm On Jun 17, 2017
adanny01:
One thing we all should know is that 90% of the car batteries on the spare part shops are actually not "dry cells" but sealed "wet cell" batteries. dry cells are usually sealed while wet cells are open for maintenance. The spare part dealers cheat by sealing wet cell batteries like it was dry cell and sell as such.

We all know wet cells are cheaper and require maintenance unlike dry cells which are more expensive but maintenance free.

These dealers cash in to our ignorance by sealing wet cells like dry cells and selling at the cost of dry cells. Wet cell batteries have a longer shelf life because the acid is introduced after purchase. But with these sealed wet cell, they have the shortest shelf life. Thats why its a miracle if such batteries last more than a year.

When you go to buy battery next time, pick it up and give it a shake close to your ears. If you hear liquid, thats actually a "sealed wet cell".

Remember, wet cell batteries require maintenance, sealing it means you will not enjoy the battery after its maintenance is due.

Infact, the term "dry cell" has disappeared from most battery lables because of this cheat. I have decided to return to the old wet cell batteries which are as cheap as 7k but more relaible to the dry cell look alikes.
Where did u get wet batteries, as most dealers claim they dont sell wet batteries?
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by adanny01(m): 7:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
ugreat:

Where did u get wet batteries, as most dealers claim they dont sell wet batteries?

99% of car batteries in the Nigerian market today are sealed maintenance free wet cell batteries. Bottom line is that it still a wet cell battery.

I searched for the old school wet cell battery but couldnt find any.
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by erico2k2(m): 7:58pm On Jun 17, 2017
ugreat:

you can get them in same shops or nearby, just have a good shake you can tell which has fluid and not.This is why imported used batteries are expensive cos most are dry cell
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by FLAKARIBE(m): 4:16am On Jun 18, 2017
4 battery
Go to JIMMS place at Olowu, ikeja. Buy your battery and have peace of mind. You get a monthly check up on alternator, battery and related components for 12 months. I get close to 4 years out of the battery.
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jun 18, 2017
adanny01:

Umm, the bottom line is 95% of the batteries they sell here is substandard shipped from China. But do u blame them? How much is 65ah battery sold for in the market? 25k? lol. That is about $75. Now how much is original battery sold for? On average a genuine 65ah battery is sold for between $180-$300 depending on the make. U seriously do not expect a $75 battery to give the performance of a $200 battery. If dealers start importing those batteries and sell for 70k how many people will be able to afford it? It is just like tyres, the are 15k tyres and there are 65k tyres, u can't expect a 15k tyre to perform like a 65k tyre. Just buy the one u can afford and have at the back of ur mind that ur battery will need replacement after 1 yr.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by ugreat(m): 8:13am On Jun 19, 2017
greenhulk:

Umm, the bottom line is 95% of the batteries they sell here is substandard shipped from China. But do u blame them? How much is 65ah battery sold for in the market? 25k? lol. That is about $75. Now how much is original battery sold for? On average a genuine 65ah battery is sold for between $180-$300 depending on the make. U seriously do not expect a $75 battery to give the performance of a $200 battery. If dealers start importing those batteries and sell for 70k how many people will be able to afford it? It is just like tyres, the are 15k tyres and there are 65k tyres, u can't expect a 15k tyre to perform like a 65k tyre. Just buy the one u can afford and have at the back of ur mind that ur battery will need replacement after 1 yr.
Good analysis!
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by sooperrescue(m): 8:07am On Jun 21, 2017
All batteries with month and year begining from 0-9 year have expired. The new batteries are those whose year of manufacture begins from 2016 or 2017 and it is stated on top of the battery while the month is also stated for you to tick as per the month it was bought. The new battery must begin from 2015, 2016 depending on the one with you and since it is an after market battery, its lifespan is four years but most batteries do not last even a year because the batteries are not properly strapped to the car and as the car wobbles through the bad portions of the road, the battery is more exposed to quick failure

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 21, 2017
sooperrescue:
All batteries with month and year begining from 0-9 year have expired. The new batteries are those whose year of manufacture begins from 2016 or 2017 and it is stated on top of the battery while the month is also stated for you to tick as per the month it was bought. The new battery must begin from 2015, 2016 depending on the one with you and since it is an after market battery, its lifespan is four years but most batteries do not last even a year because the batteries are not properly strapped to the car and as the car wobbles through the bad portions of the road, the battery is more exposed to quick failure
angry angry angry angry
Re: How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? by vpnvouchers: 1:06pm On Jun 21, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. / Need Advice On Car To Buy / Rattle Sound On Cold Start RX350

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.