Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,202 members, 7,822,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

4 Problems Faced In NYSC Corpers' Lodge - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 4 Problems Faced In NYSC Corpers' Lodge (2336 Views)

Corpers Lodge Invaded In Cross River State, Certificate Stolen- Photos / The State Of Nasarawa State Corpers Lodge (Photos) / Corpers' Lodge In Bori, Rivers Attacked By Armed Men, One Injured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

4 Problems Faced In NYSC Corpers' Lodge by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 07, 2016
As a serving corp member in Nigeria, I have taken my time to look at the indepth problems which are presently affecting and threatening the peace in NYSC corpers' lodge. This trend is not only affecting the peace in the lodge but also threatening the essence of the establishment of the NYSC scheme by the Federal Government of Nigeria. Before talking about these problems, it will be reasonable to look into the brief history of the scheme. This will shed more light into the reason why the scheme started in the first place.

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme is a set up by the Nigerian government to involve the country's graduates in the unification and development of the country from the rural communities to the urban cities. The scheme was set up after the Nigerian civil war by the regime of former head of state, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, with a motive of fostering national unity. Reconciliation, Rehabilitation, and Reconstruction; popularly known as the 3 Rs’ were set as the values guiding the country towards “healing the wounds” of the war. Although there is no compulsory military participation in the country, however, since 1973, graduates of Nigeria’s tertiary institutions have been required to take part in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) program for one year.

Even though there have been calls from several quarters for the program to be stopped, however, truth be told, the main reason for establishing the organisation is enough for the scheme to be maintained. However, as previously stated, I am a serving corp member, I am part of the system, I have seen it but I can’t say I know it all; NYSC is under threat and to me, the following problems are responsible. If these problems are not considered or checked, NYSC scheme may eventually become a “walking dead” .

The problems are:

Regionalizing the Lodge

Well, in a country like Nigeria, we can say this is not new. However, this is one problem that if not checked may bring a total collapse to the system. Most corp members in my Place of Primary Assignment (PPA) fall under this category. Corp members where I am serving prefer to talk, relate, and support corps members who are mainly from their ethnic group(s). No ethnic group is not guilty of this trend. This makes gossip, quarrel over the unnecessary, the order of the day. We have totally forgotten he national spirit, rather, we promote regionalism and ethnicity. This is against the spirit of nationalism. Its time to have this checked.

Religionalizing the Lodge

If Nigerians are to act based on the manner in which they profess religion, be it Christianity, Islam, or Traditional, Nigeria would have been a far better place. Based on my experience, most corp members are too religious thereby allowing this to cloud their judgment. Religious bigots tend to talk, or should I say gossip about others most especially people outside their religion and to even make matter worse, they gossip about themselves!

A major problem in my lodge is the activities of the Nigerian Christian Corpers' Fellowship. Please note, this is not targeted at any group and as a matter of fact, I am a Christian, but let us "call a spade a spade". To the best of my knowledge, they hold program early morning from 5:30 to 6:00. This runs from Monday to Saturday. I wake up every morning, even without participating in their program, with headache because of the loud noise from their worship. Honestly, worshiping God is paramount; but inconveniencing people is not part of it. They also hold program on Tuesdays and Thursdays. During these program, drums and other acoustic instruments (if available) are used thereby disturbing the peace of others. The funniest thing is that they use the "common room". If you complain, there the problem comes. I have done this so many times but... The question is, can't this people go to their place of worship? Must they religionalize the lodge? Be it Christianity. Islam or other groups, you should know that the lodge is filled with so many people who does not share the same views with you.

Another point is that I serve in the core Northern part of Nigeria where the dominating religion is Islam. I wonder why my Christian brothers can't respect the faith of their host community and say their prayers with meekness. Yes, Daniel prayed in the bible, but this is Nigeria. A country so volatile when it comes to religion.

CLO Autocratic-style of Leadership and Preferred Choice of Successor

Well, this is self explanatory. The acronym 'CLO' stands for Corpers' Liaison Officer. The role of this young man or woman is to link his fellow corp members with the Local Government Inspector and others and also to 'take care' of the lodge. This practically does not make him or her superior to his colleagues, it is just to ease access to the NYSC officials. However, it is unfortunate that based on my experience, the title 'CLO' get the individual chosen so intoxicated with power. On assumption, the meekness degenerates and he or she loses the needed support and popularity. I have been under two CLOs', so I know what I am talking about.

Also, CLOs' should be stopped from picking their preferred leadership. Rather, the process should be democratize. Allowing any interested corp member to contest for the post rather than appointment will bring fairness to the system.

Over-Ambitious Corp Members

Just like our political office holders, corp members have become so over-ambitious with power that they are ready to do anything, I mean anything! Why fight and hate your brother over a position you are probably not going to earn a dime from and won't live with? This trend must be checked immediately.

Source:http://www.newslivecasts.com/2016/05/4-problems-faced-in-nysc-corpers-lodge.html

Re: 4 Problems Faced In NYSC Corpers' Lodge by callMeAlpha(m): 12:18pm On May 08, 2016

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nysc Denies Postponement Of 2016 Batch A Stream 2 / My NYSC Ambitious Jungle Boots Of Destiny / Banditry: NYSC Wants Army Chief To Deploy More Soldiers To Orientation Camps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.