Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,435 members, 7,812,293 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

The Emergence Of Academic Contests Among Nigerian University Undergraduates - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Emergence Of Academic Contests Among Nigerian University Undergraduates (410 Views)

Is This The Man With The Highest Number Of Academic Degrees In The World / OAU: The Most Beautiful Estate Among Nigerian Universities / 2016 Most Popular Careers Among Nigerian Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Emergence Of Academic Contests Among Nigerian University Undergraduates by ScholarGrant: 6:47am On May 10, 2016
It’s been observed that online contests and academic reward programs are now springing up to shore up the little number of feasible scholarships for Nigerian University undergraduate.

As usual, we had to put our sentiment aside and randomly engage a few of our audience via email to get their opinion on this development. Below are a few excerpts:

Isimoya Japheth from FUTA: These programs should be encouraged because their requirements are not painstaking at all. Imagine trying to apply for a scholarship being organised by an oil magnate and they tell you to bring a letter from the Oba of your village, a reference letter from the Imam on your street, recommendation letter from your state Governor and several other impossible things. It’s just crazy, where do you expect one to get all those things from. Or is it the Oba of Lagos that said the Igbos would die in the Lagoon I will go and meet for a reference letter. It’s just absurd and I think the fact that these online contests demand so little – makes them a thing one wouldn’t mind to delve into.

Tunji Aderibigbe from Kwara POLY: The thing about these contests is that, the chances of winning is quite high unlike the fundamental scholarships that have rigorous requirements. But if they could ensure they produce more beneficiaries and try to be at par with the big wigs, then I believe they would be anyone’s choice over programs that would require ‘neck-breaking documentations’.

Jumoke Oladele from LASPOTECH: I think online contests should be banned because their questions are usually very difficult. It makes one feel like one didn’t go to school at all.

Chidiebere Aninyem from UNILAG: I feel academic contests are cool because they are challenging and actually makes one feel more exposed to several things. I have participated in a few – although, I haven’t won any, I still remain positive ‘cos I feel privy to quite a number of new things. And another things is, they usually don’t require ridiculous documentation, mostly there is a fee involved and this is usually affordable. However, the major thing that makes academic contests unique is the fact that they don’t ostracize students based on CGPA or whatever. I mean, a student struggling with funny grade like me could just turn up lucky.

We also made our own findings by sending emails to a few of these organisations that put up academic contests. Of course, we relayed some excerpts to them and gave suggestions from what was gathered from our audience and we discovered a shocking thing though. Most of these firms, if not all, are being required by the FG to seek an approval for these contests and that usually costs them close to half a million naira, and could be more in some cases. SIGH – well, now we are not surprised as to why charges are being levied. Our FG be taxing since 1600BC….SOL

SOURCE: http://www.scholargrant.com/the-emergence-of-academic-contests-among-nigerian-university-undergraduates/

(1) (Reply)

The First Nigerian Children School Starts In Russia / ANSU Student Allegedly Beaten To Death By School's Anti-cult Group / Pharmacy Lounge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.