Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,514 members, 7,954,949 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:06 PM

Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? (4237 Views)

At What Age Did You Cook Your First Meal? / As A Single, Do You Cook Or Eat Outside? / How Regularly Should You Cook And Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:19am On Nov 19, 2006
Can you cook?

If so, what are you good at?

I kind of hope for something like my parent's relationship.  My parents always cook together, or if my mom isnt around or too tired, my dad would cook. If he's tired yada yada she'd cook however my dad is the only one to ever make pounded yam. ( Everyone esp company love his punded yam) He usually does this on the weekends, motar and all. It just seems so normal. It's funny how when my friends or whomever would come and see him, they'd look at me all surprised like it's abnormal or something. I just told them that was how it is in my house. My dad never sat down expecting food, never. If he's hungry he'd make it himself, stew, amala, eba, porridge, okra, etc. Nowadays if im around I help out but he rather do it all himself anyway.

It's such a shame there are hardly any men like this anymore.

Anyway back to the question, any male chefs? Impress us with your skills.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ikamefa(f): 4:31am On Nov 19, 2006
this is my take on this issue at least from what i have seen from living with some realtives who are older than me

see if a husband and wife are at home alone , the man can/ will do anything for his wife, make amala, pound yams ,fry fish anything! but let a visitor or one of their relatives step in
the man will act as if he can't do jack, so i think it has to with the impressions of what other people have of them in their marriage!
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:37am On Nov 19, 2006
Eh people shouldnt care about impressions. They're probably just worried that their jealous wives will look down on them for being so lazy thus they decide to be haters.

Anyway maybe those are other people but all our relatives know my dad is the one who pounds yam in our house.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ikamefa(f): 4:40am On Nov 19, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

Anyway maybe those are other people but all our relatives know my dad is the one who pounds yam in our house.

that is not very common oh a typical Nigerian man would not pound yam for his wife oh!
maybe during courtship and early days of marriage

there are also marriages where the wife dont cook , the husband does all the cooking but am yet to see a Nigerian man who does that
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by jammin(m): 4:44am On Nov 19, 2006
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ikamefa(f): 4:46am On Nov 19, 2006
" grin " love it
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by jammin(m): 5:07am On Nov 19, 2006
i am a guy. and i am skilled.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ikamefa(f): 5:11am On Nov 19, 2006
sure did cheesy
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by jammin(m): 5:13am On Nov 19, 2006
i hate this mochafella person!!! grin grin grin
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by mochafella(m): 5:18am On Nov 19, 2006
jammin:

hope you got that message smiley
jammin:

are you logged on Yim?
ikamefa, abeg log onto yim 4 jammin's sake
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by jammin(m): 5:22am On Nov 19, 2006
mochafella what are you talking about?? grin and how can you make quotes for me when i did'nt do it. i gotta ask seun how you did that. shocked
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by mochafella(m): 5:39am On Nov 19, 2006
jammin:

mochafella what are you talking about?? grin and how can you make quotes for me when i did'nt do it. i gotta ask seun how you did that. shocked
Hmm, scared enough to retract your posts. Have no fear, Ikamefa won't tell your other women you are hitting on her.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:26am On Nov 19, 2006
ikamefa:

that is not very common oh a typical Nigerian man would not pound yam for his wife oh!
maybe during courtship and early days of marriage

there are also marriages where the wife don't cook , the husband does all the cooking but am yet to see a Nigerian man who does that

Alot of Italian families are kind of like that since the Italians have the common sense to force ALL of their children to help in the kitchen, not just the girls. Therefore, they become such great chefs. Italian women are great cooks but most of the time, the men are better.

and my dad is quite typical, he's a village man(58) and my mom's "omo Eko". They are just not lazy people, I guess. I thank my grandparents that their way of living is NOT typical. If only more mothers would do the same and not allow their sons to become so useless.

so jammin', what are you good at making?
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ikamefa(f): 5:24pm On Nov 19, 2006
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@ mocha when did you turn to m15 James bond international man of mystery? " grin "

@ jammin what agwaan? cheesy
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by lionheart(m): 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

Can you cook?
It's such a shame there are hardly any men like this anymore.

I'm glad 2 be one of em  cheesy  grin made a post about it before  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=21723.msg584522#msg584522 cheesy
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by lionheart(m): 6:21pm On Nov 19, 2006
There are naija men like me out there that believes women's day of cleaning and cooking alone are OVER! angry
Its very romantic 2 do em 2gether wink
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ikamefa(f): 6:27pm On Nov 19, 2006
lionheart:

There are naija men like me out there that believes women's day of cleaning and cooking alone are OVER! angry
Its very romantic 2 do em 2gether wink

you sure? yet to see a 9jan man who does dat ! like i said maybe during the courtship days
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by lionheart(m): 6:29pm On Nov 19, 2006
Did u click on that nairaland link? I'm keeping it real  cheesy
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ikamefa(f): 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2006
why dont i beleive you? hum ? i guess there are exceptions to this ish

i guess if i no see am with ma korokoro eyes i no go beleive am!

what i have seen is dat 9jerian men dont clean and cook with thier wives or galfriends on a 50/50 basis

its common to hear! "womung! where is my food! " cheesy
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by lionheart(m): 6:44pm On Nov 19, 2006
Lol . . . I don't blame u sha undecided most naija guys are like that. Well slavery is over grin and its time we start been romantic and stop acting like we are still in da 60s undecided
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ikamefa(f): 6:47pm On Nov 19, 2006
lionheart:

Lol . . . I don't blame u sha undecided most naija guys are like that. Well slavery is over grin and its time we start been romantic and stop acting like we are still in da 60s undecided

hear! hear! what say you all guys on the board? a red blooded Nigerian-man has spoken cheesy " grin "
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by lionheart(m): 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2006
Guys abeg speak ur minds and let em ladies know we can cook and be romantic 2 cool grin
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by mukina2: 8:46pm On Nov 19, 2006

see if a husband and wife are at home alone , the man can/ will  do anything for his wife, make amala, pound yams ,fry fish anything! but let a visitor or one of their  relatives step in
the man will act as if he  can't do jack, so i think it has to with  the impressions of what other people have of  them in their marriage!

damn right . .i find it so crazy . .why cant you come out in the open and help her so people will know that there's really love in the home
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:23pm On Nov 19, 2006
lionheart:

I'm glad 2 be one of em  cheesy  grin made a post about it before  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=21723.msg584522#msg584522 cheesy

Oh I'm sorry  embarassed I went through the search machine to check if anyone ever made such a thread before and I didnt get any results  angry

oh well, good to know that you don't share the same mentality as the other brutes.  wink
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:24pm On Nov 19, 2006
mukina2:

damn right . .i find it so crazy . .why can't you come out in the open and help her so people will know that there's really love in the home

Might have to do with the fact that a lot of them are stupid.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by gaby(m): 12:10am On Nov 20, 2006
Nice Thread,

I dont see any biggies in cooking as a matter of fact i enjoy it and really dont give a hoot about what ppl think, As a matter of fact i'm hardly ever satisifed with someone else's cooking so i love to be the one in charge and it makes me feel good hearing comments bout my food and all that,

That's my take peeps
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:43am On Nov 20, 2006
gaby:

Nice Thread,

I don't see any biggies in cooking as a matter of fact i enjoy it and really don't give a hoot about what people think, As a matter of fact i'm hardly ever satisifed with someone else's cooking so i love to be the one in charge and it makes me feel good hearing comments bout my food and all that,

That's my take peeps

Wonderful. cheesy What do you like to make?
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by iice(f): 2:22am On Nov 20, 2006
gaby:

Nice Thread,

I don't see any biggies in cooking as a matter of fact i enjoy it and really don't give a hoot about what people think, As a matter of fact i'm hardly ever satisifed with someone else's cooking so i love to be the one in charge and it makes me feel good hearing comments bout my food and all that,

That's my take peeps
Interesting. . . .

ThiefOfHearts:

Wonderful. cheesy What do you like to make?
Yea, do tell grin grin
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Nobody: 3:54am On Nov 20, 2006
when you come from a home of just boys, you have to learn to cook. There's virtually nothing i cant cook if i really make up my mind to learn.
I can cook egusi as good as my mom does it, i actually taught a female cousin of mine (who is older than i am anyway) how to make moin-moin! Been ages i made that now undecided

An aunt i lived with then wouldnt eat moin-moin unless i made it and there were 3 girls in the house!!!

A friend taught me to pound yam 2 yrs ago, and he's a guy!!! He made it much better than my mom ever did!
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:10am On Nov 20, 2006
davidylan:

when you come from a home of just boys, you have to learn to cook. There's virtually nothing i can't cook if i really make up my mind to learn.
I can cook egusi as good as my mom does it, i actually taught a female cousin of mine (who is older than i am anyway) how to make moin-moin! Been ages i made that now undecided

An aunt i lived with then wouldnt eat moin-moin unless i made it and there were 3 girls in the house!!!

A friend taught me to pound yam 2 years ago, and he's a guy!!! He made it much better than my mom ever did!

weird, usually in a nigerian home filled with boys, the mom does everything and just prays that her sons find wives that can cook angry
That's cool that you can make those dishes. wink As for the pounded yam, does the friend use the whole motar and all, or does he use the mix, most nigerians here use the mix. My dad pounds it with all his might himself. lol
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Nobody: 4:19am On Nov 20, 2006
my mom's philosophy is, boys must learn to cook so someday no woman will take advantage of them in the kitchen!

My friend and i use the mortar. I dont like the mixing, i feel its way more stressful than pounding.
Re: Guys Of The Board: Can You Cook? by Wandungu(m): 6:31am On Nov 20, 2006
wink I love cooking, being the only boy and growing-up in a home like mine, I had to learn how to cook at an early age. Learned how to cook almost every Eastern naija dish! Can even cook better than one of my elder sisters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Next Big Franchise Now Open In Port Harcourt Bólé King!!! / Can You Finish This Food (see Picture) / wholesales and retail fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.