Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,122 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. (1569 Views)

The History Of Arochukwu (abia State) And The Infamous Long Juju Shrine / Pictures From Igbo Cultural And Support Network reunion party / Is Arochukwu The Origin Of The Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by Goglow: 1:54pm On May 10, 2016
Dear, greatminds, i am a final year student writing on the socio political and cultural history of Arochukwu before 1900. Please, endeavour to drop your comments on possible books or materials which might be of help to me. Thank you.
Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by AjaanaOka(m): 2:37pm On May 10, 2016
Are you writing specifically about Arochukwu or do you plan to discuss both Arochukwu and its daughter-towns? Most (if not all) of the literature I know of discuss them all as one system.

You may find this book helpful: 'The Aro of South-eastern Nigeria, 1650 - 1980' by Onwuka Dike and Felicia Ekejiuba.

This one too: 'Arochukwu History and Culture' edited by Okoro Ijoma.

There are other books like Aro Land by Nwangoro and Akuko Ala Aro by ijomanta, but I really doubt that you'll still find them around. You can try looking though.

Felicia Ekejiuba has also published a number of articles in journals on the Aro. You should look in your school library and see what you can find there.

Don't limit your search to Aro-specific books though. Most books that discuss the Igbo, especially in the slave trade era, will most certainly touch on the Aro.
Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by Goglow: 9:45am On May 11, 2016
Thank you so much.
I'm writing specifically on Arochukwu itself, its origin, its people, organization , political system or organisation, its culture , relationship with other peoples before the british sack of 1900.
Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by AjaanaOka(m): 12:56pm On May 11, 2016
You're welcome.

I forgot to add that you might also want to poke around on Google. There may not be much there that will be acceptable as reference in an academic work such as the one you're about to embark on. But there is a thesis available online in pdf which you definitely have to check out:

'The Biafran Frontier: Trade, Slaves and the Aro Society: 1750 -1905' by G Ugo Nwokeji.

If you can't find it, I can e-mail you a copy.
Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by Chazzyboy: 5:37pm On May 11, 2016
Goglow:
Dear, greatminds, i am a final year student writing on the socio political and cultural history of Arochukwu before 1900. Please, endeavour to drop your comments on possible books or materials which might be of help to me. Thank you.
there was a queen called mgbokwo udo omimi she ruled from 1789-1825
Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by Goglow: 6:16pm On May 14, 2016
Thank you so much @ajaanaoka. I have gotten the material you referred me to, its a really good book, as it speaks extensively on Arochukwu. Grateful much.

I would like to ask you though, are you from Arochukwu?
Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by Goglow: 6:17pm On May 14, 2016
Chazzyboy:
there was a queen called mgbokwo udo omimi she ruled from 1789-1825

Thank you Chazzyboy.
Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by Goglow: 6:20pm On May 14, 2016
AjaanaOka:
You're welcome.

I forgot to add that you might also want to poke around on Google. There may not be much there that will be acceptable as reference in an academic work such as the one you're about to embark on. But there is a thesis available online in pdf which you definitely have to check out:

'The Biafran Frontier: Trade, Slaves and the Aro Society: 1750 -1905' by G Ugo Nwokeji.

If you can't find it, I can e-mail you a copy.

Thank you so much @ajaanaoka. I have gotten the material you referred me to, its a really good book, as it speaks extensively on Arochukwu. Grateful much.

Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by Chazzyboy: 8:52pm On May 14, 2016
Goglow:

Thank you Chazzyboy.
u are welcome
Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by AjaanaOka(m): 9:06pm On May 14, 2016
Goglow:

Nope. I'm not from there.
Re: Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. by NwaIkenga(m): 12:06am On May 16, 2016
Goglow:

This website has alot of good resources, including History & Cultural sub-sections:
http://www.aronewsonline.com/

You can purchase a few excellent books about Arochukwu on this page:
http://www.aronewsonline.com/?page_id=1154

(1) (Reply)

Someone Tell Chinamanda To Cool It! / The Negro In Our History / Bisexuality Among Africans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.