Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,664 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! (716 Views)

I Love You, But I Am Guilty. / 4 Interesting Benefits Of Writing Out A Plan / The Girl Has A Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by Nobody: 11:21pm On May 10, 2016
On May 9, I shared a post stating that I wanted to help people figure out how to do more and go farther with their writing.

The idea I have currently is to share updates and advice on my progress as I write and sell my first novel. I believe that if I can figure out how to market and sell the book with little resources and startup capital, I will be able to help others do the same. Or at least, give people some idea of where to begin.

I have a number of ideas of how I want to go about doing this, but there's just one problem. I need to know what Nigeria writers are struggling with. I've done some Google searches, and I will put what I find to use, but I also want to hear from people right here on Nairaland.

If you are open to it, please share some of the struggles you face as a writer, or even some of the things you would like to know more about. This will give me more if an idea of what to focus on and emphasize when I talk about my own processes. I believe that by showing you how I've overcome or learned to deal with the same challenges, it will make it easier for you to overcome them as well.

Sound good? Great!

All you need to do is post a reply to this thread, and I will make a note of it. If you prefer not to post your ideas publicly, you can email them to me HERE.

I'll collect ideas for a few days, and then I will get to work piecing things together. I will publish some of the content here on Nairaland, but the rest will be on my website, www.MakingGenesis.com.

Thanks for participating, and if not, thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I look forward to connecting with you soon!

Be blessed!

Ra
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by GloriaNinja(f): 12:11am On May 11, 2016
I am a writer, have written some books and i don't know the steps to take in order to publish it.
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by Nobody: 12:27am On May 11, 2016
GloriaNinja:
I am a writer, have written some books and i don't know the steps to take in order to publish it.

Hi! Thanks for responding! smiley

I've received a number of emails about this.

Are you looking to traditionally publish or self-publish/independently publish your book?
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by GloriaNinja(f): 12:43am On May 11, 2016
radragan:

Hi! Thanks for responding! smiley

I've received a number of emails about this.

Are you looking to traditionally publish or self-publish/independently publish your book?
Before concluding, which one is more easier,? self publish or traditionally publish,?
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by Nobody: 1:19am On May 11, 2016
GloriaNinja:
Before concluding, which one is more easier,? self publish or traditionally publish,?

Typically speaking, self-publishing/independent publishing is easier because it allows you to package and sell your work at your discretion. However, it is a lot more difficult to make money as a self-publisher/independent authors because they usually don't have the marketing power and promotional platforms that come with a traditional publishing contract.

Traditional publishing is where many mainstream are published. And while self-publishing has taken off in places like the US and Europe, but I've not seen nowhere near as popular of a response in Africa, which is both good and bad. Bad because it means the early adopters will struggle to sell their work. It's also good, because it allows anyone determined enough to establish a foundation and base, so that when the self-publishing boom does hit Africa, they will be at the largest advantage.
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by GloriaNinja(f): 2:56am On May 11, 2016
radragan:

Typically speaking, self-publishing/independent publishing is easier because it allows you to package and sell your work at your discretion. However, it is a lot more difficult to make money as a self-publisher/independent authors because they usually don't have the marketing power and promotional platforms that come with a traditional publishing contract.

Traditional publishing is where many mainstream are published. And while self-publishing has taken off in places like the US and Europe, but I've not seen nowhere near as popular of a response in Africa, which is both good and bad. Bad because it means the early adopters will struggle to sell their work. It's also good, because it allows anyone determined enough to establish a foundation and base, so that when the self-publishing boom does hit Africa, they will be at the largest advantage.
does self publishing require lots of money to invest in publishing a book,? cos i know traditional publishing doesn't.
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by Nobody: 4:26am On May 11, 2016
GloriaNinja:
does self publishing require lots of money to invest in publishing a book,? cos i know traditional publishing doesn't.

It doesn't require someone spend a lot of money, but it can be quite expensive. If you estimate the cost of writing and editing your work, that's essentially free. You can create a simple book cover with photo-editing programs on your computer, and to publish to most platforms is free. However, if you want or need professional editing, book cover designs and marketing services, then yes, things can add up pretty quickly, and become quite expensive.

I have an idea that I would like to run by you. If interested, send me an email and I'll forward the details to you.
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by GloriaNinja(f): 11:44am On May 11, 2016
radragan:

It doesn't require someone spend a lot of money, but it can be quite expensive. If you estimate the cost of writing and editing your work, that's essentially free. You can create a simple book cover with photo-editing programs on your computer, and to publish to most platforms is free. However, if you want or need professional editing, book cover designs and marketing services, then yes, things can add up pretty quickly, and become quite expensive.

I have an idea that I would like to run by you. If interested, send me an email and I'll forward the details to you.

you should forward the details to my email, that is ninjagloria@gmail.com and i hope you ain't a scam, i know one when i see one.
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 11, 2016
GloriaNinja:
you should forward the details to my email, that is ninjagloria@gmail.com and i hope you ain't a scam, i know one when i see one.

No scams, I promise.
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by GloriaNinja(f): 6:57pm On May 11, 2016
radragan:

No scams, I promise.
Ok if you say so.
Re: I Have A Plan To Help More Nigeria Writer's But I Need You Help! by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 04, 2016
Hi friends!

Just in case anyone is still viewing or following this thread, my offer still stands.

If you are open to sharing your experiences and struggles with publishing, feel free to share them or reach out to me. I will offer whatever advice or help that I can.

This will also give me more if an idea of what to focus on and emphasize when I talk about my own processes through my blog. For example, if someone if struggling with better understanding how to market their self-published ebooks, I will be sure to share more blog posts about that subject in the hope of answering questions future readers may.

I believe that by showing you how I've overcome or learned to deal with the same challenges, it will make it easier for others to overcome them as well.

If you are interested, all you need to do is post a reply to this thread, and I will make a note of it. Or if you prefer not to post your experiences publicly, you can email them to me HERE.

I look forward to connecting with you soon!

Be blessed!

(1) (Reply)

Why The Moon Wasnt Sighted / King Jaja Of Opobo (1821-1891) / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.