Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,874 members, 7,848,556 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 05:49 AM

Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival (10858 Views)

Celebrities At 5th Africa International Film Festival ,in Lekki Lagos / Reckless And Irresponsible Gulder Promo Image: Thumbs Down Gulder!! / If All The Guns In Action Movies Were Replaced With Thumbs-Ups... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 11:52pm On Aug 15, 2009
I think your Enlish Nollywood people are finally opening their eyes. . .

Why do you think Funke Akindele (Jenifa) was given the best actress of the year? Stay there and continue your blind argument. . . tongue
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by C2H5OH(f): 11:54pm On Aug 15, 2009
If I was stacked with cash and had the passion for film I would take the nigerian movie industry by storm.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:55pm On Aug 15, 2009
Tunde Kelani's movies have been shown in International Movie Festivals. Name one Nollywood movie that has the same claim to fame. Majority of Yoruba movies nowdays are subtitled. People should just admit that they are too daft to deal with subtitles instead of making excuses. If I can watch an Igbo movie with subtitles, I dont see why that's a problem for those watching Yoruba ones.  Bunch of haters.

What was the biggest Naija movie last year? No be Jenifa? The same Jenifa that is in Yoruba. the same Jenifa that even non-Nigerians/Yoruba quote from word to word. Make I hear word.

as for Hollywood movies, um French/German/Spanish movies get alot more respect than most American movies.

Incase you havent noticed, majority of American movies esp nowadays are remakes of foreign movies.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 15, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How do you know which is most?. My first encounter with a Yoruba movie was 5 years ago and the background noise alone was enough to turn me deaf in two minutes, should I use that experience to judge all Yoruba movies?.
Nollywood draws in cash and by default, lots of people whether Igbo, Bini , hausa, Yoruba, Senegalese. chinese flocked into it to make some money. Pirates spend more money into nollywood movies and have graduated into renaming a movie by themselves in order to make sells. You may produce a nollywood movie today and name it FL GATORS and a pirate will copy it tomorrow and sell it under the name AMAKA.

Funmilayo, do you know what IMO means?

In My Opinion? Mines. . . .FL Gators opinion.

So in FL Gator's opinion, MOST Yoruba movies rox, MOST English (I dont care which tribe made it, each though I though Nollywood belongs to Nigeria in whole) sucks.

Englsih movies: Same boring ol' shit. Same plot. Almost the same boring faces. Same boring endings.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 11:57pm On Aug 15, 2009
@c2h5oh
Now that you ain't gats stacks. . . I suggest you hush! cheesy grin tongue
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by asha80(m): 11:58pm On Aug 15, 2009
If i am not mistaken there is kannywood.I wonder how popular it is?
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:59pm On Aug 15, 2009
I've yet to see a Hausa movie actually. I'd love to.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 16, 2009
asha 80:

Kannywood? From which country? undecided
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:01am On Aug 16, 2009
Kano, you loon.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by C2H5OH(f): 12:02am On Aug 16, 2009
kannywood is the hausa equivalent abi?
abulewood mushinwood  uyowood.  everything na wood.

jassie:

@c2h5oh
Now that you ain't gats stacks. . . I suggest you hush! cheesy grin tongue
jassie, in due time i will employ you off those streets you roam and make you m  lipsrsealed
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 12:04am On Aug 16, 2009
rotflmao grin

@TOH
Hi. What's your name, address and number?
Holla!
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 16, 2009
C2H5OH:

kannywood is the hausa equivalent abi?
abulewood mushinwood  uyowood.  everything na wood.

jassie, in due time i will employ you off those streets you roam and make you m  lipsrsealed
U wish. . . u better leave that cybercafe you're in. . . UNICEF is now feeding homeless children, i suggest you apply! were. . . cheesy grin
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by oyinda3(f): 12:07am On Aug 16, 2009
asha 80:

It's pretty popular in the north esp. with Niger ppl. countries in northern africa sha
they're obsessed with it same way some west africans are obsessed with nollywood. lol
it's like they live in their own separate world up there. lol

i saw one of their flicks when i was younger. it was interesting actually.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by courage89(m): 12:12am On Aug 16, 2009
Guys, we should be one Nigeria in respective of what culture we belong to. There are some bad english movies and so are some yoruba movies. Lets bash them all together from the angle of strong critism. We should all be able to point out errors in all these Nigerian made movies, so that our producers / actors can change for the better. Lashing each other to support our culture does/will not produce any good result.  From good criticism, you get the best out of people. Lets criticize all these  producers together as one, so that they can change for better.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 12:13am On Aug 16, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Tunde Kelani's movies have been shown in International Movie Festivals. Name one Nollywood movie that has the same claim to fame. Majority of Yoruba movies nowdays are subtitled. People should just admit that they are too daft to deal with subtitles instead of making excuses. If I can watch an Igbo movie with subtitles, I dont see why that's a problem for those watching Yoruba ones.  Bunch of haters.

What was the biggest Naija movie last year? No be Jenifa? The same Jenifa that is in Yoruba. the same Jenifa that even non-Nigerians/Yoruba quote from word to word. Make I hear word.

as for Hollywood movies, um French/German/Spanish movies get alot more respect than most American movies.

Incase you havent noticed, majority of American movies esp nowadays are remakes of foreign movies.
Which award did Tunde kelani win with his movies?. Is Tunde Kelani the same as Yoruba movie industry?. Hasn't he made movies in english which also makes him a nollywood member or are you asking me an igbo movie director whose movies made such feat?. Well, Uzo has such feats with his movies and they were shown more than TK.  So, name any Yoruba movie with international accolades which Nollywood is yet to conquer?. Since your warped reasoning is not enough to understand that Nigerian movies suffer from the same issues whether they are igbo, Yoruba or hausa. Stories are recylcled so, saying  that Hollywood rip off movies is nothing new in the art world. Others do that.

On sunbtitles:
Subtitle does not represent a story very well no matter how good you do it. Ikuku is an Nkem Owo movie which is very hilarious but not to a non igbo person because the subtitle does not deliver the story like it should be. I prefer to focus on the picture and not read subtitles. Watching a movie should be for fun and not a reading class but for those who can, let them do it.

You haven't answered the thriving question still: Why are Nollywood movies more popular than Yoruba movies if language is not a barrier and their quality is lower than Yoruba movies?. What is the reason behind it? Igbo tribalism is stopping the sales of Yoruba movies, right?
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by asha80(m): 12:15am On Aug 16, 2009
oyinda.:

It's pretty popular in the north esp. with Niger ppl. countries in northern africa sha
they're obsessed with it same way some west africans are obsessed with nollywood. lol

If it this popular up there how come there is always this flexing of which is better btw nollywood(igbo dominated) and yoruwood   Why is that nobody mentions kannywood is these comparisions  
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 12:16am On Aug 16, 2009
oyinda.:

Kannywood also sells well in Chad and Niger because of the language. As a matter of fact, Kannywood controls major movie markets in Chad, Niger and Mali and is the third highest selling movie in Africa after Nollywood and Ghanawood.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by asha80(m): 12:16am On Aug 16, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Which award did Tunde kelani win with his movies?. Is Tunde Kelani the same as Yoruba movie industry?. Hasn't he made movies in english which also makes him a nollywood member or are you asking me an igbo movie director whose movies made such feat?. Well, Uzo has such feats with his movies and they were shown more than TK.  So, name any Yoruba movie with international accolades which Nollywood is yet to conquer?. Since your warped reasoning is not enough to understand that Nigerian movies suffer from the same issues whether they are igbo, Yoruba or hausa. Stories are recylcled so, saying  that Hollywood rip off movies is nothing new in the art world. Others do that.

On sunbtitles:
Subtitle does not represent a story very well no matter how good you do it. Ikuku is an Nkem Owo movie which is very hilarious but not to a non igbo person because the subtitle does not deliver the story like it should be. I prefer to focus on the picture and not read subtitles. Watching a movie should be for fun and not a reading class but for those who can, let them do it.

You haven't answered the thriving question still: Why are Nollywood movies more popular than Yoruba movies if language is not a barrier and their quality is lower than Yoruba movies?. What is the reason behind it? Igbo tribalism is stopping the sales of Yoruba movies, right?

Aloy are you in the movie biz?
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:17am On Aug 16, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

On sunbtitles:
Subtitle does not represent a story very well no matter how good you do it.

A typical illiterate's excuse. Subtitles still hasnt stopped many foreign movies from receiving INTERNATIONAL ACCLAIM. Enough with the lame excuses abeg.

Funmi, Im not playing into your Igbo/Yoruba schizophrenia. Stop fooling yourself.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by asha80(m): 12:22am On Aug 16, 2009
Off topic

Why do people feel Aloyemeka is funmi?Did funmi(Aloyemeka) grow up in owerri?
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:23am On Aug 16, 2009
IP check
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 12:24am On Aug 16, 2009
This discourse has turned childish with subsequnt name calling instead of answering glaring questions. Only touts will degrade so low. Have a nice sunday.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:24am On Aug 16, 2009
Say Hi to Funmi for me!  grin
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by C2H5OH(f): 12:26am On Aug 16, 2009
lol jassie he pain you reach so grin grin amugbo .
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by AloyEmeka6: 12:29am On Aug 16, 2009
asha 80:

Off topic

Why do people feel Aloyemeka is funmi?Did funmi(Aloyemeka) grow up in owerri?
Does it matter to me?. They'd rather subvert to such instead of accepting their inherent hatred which is the reason behind all these insults and Nollywood downfall. Its a pity that the next generation of Nigerians imbibe religion as their watchword but hatred grows in them in volumes. These loonies here will rather prefer a Nicaraguan movie industry to prosper than their own native industry. Did you notice they refused to answer why Nollwood sells better til date, rather, they prefer to call me Funmi.
I've addressed it before that I am whatever they chose to call me but it wouldn't change the content of what I am saying. Whether its funmi, Egwuofor, Becomerich, tumfuly, seun, tpiah or Arnold. I am all of them and have been accused to be all of them except being tpiah. Another swore on his fathers grave that my name is Chuck odili who owns Nigeriaworld and others say I am akinjide[whoever that is]. Is it illegal?
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by asha80(m): 12:30am On Aug 16, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Say Hi to Funmi for me!  grin

I asked that question because Aloyemeka in another thread told me of the school he/she went to and the neighbourhood he/she grew up in owerri and only someone that grew up in owerri or was brought up in owerri can call those places the names he/she called them ie their nicknames.

Can funmi speak igbo because i can dig up posts where Aloyemeka spoke fluent igbo.
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by Nobody: 12:31am On Aug 16, 2009
asha 80:

I asked that question because Aloyemeka in another thread told me of the school he/she went to and the neighbourhood he/she grew up in owerri and only someone that grew up in owerri or was brought up in owerri can call those places the names he/she called them ie their nicknames.

Can funmi speak igbo because i can dig up posts where Aloyemeka spoke fluent igbo.

People can lie on the net. They have the right to do so.

IP don't lie.

I don't speak French, but I can make it possible to make it seem like I'm a fluent French speaker
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:31am On Aug 16, 2009
lol Funmi is getting angry

Is this where you're gonna go and become Lamidi-Obi as well?  grin
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by sosisi(f): 12:37am On Aug 16, 2009
sharia has now banned all dancing and kissing and any romantic poses in kannywood
Maybe they can only pray and read the Koran now
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by oyinda3(f): 12:38am On Aug 16, 2009
asha 80:

If it this popular up there how come there is always this flexing of which is better btw nollywood(igbo dominated) and yoruwood   Why is that nobody mentions kannywood is these comparisions  

they live in their own separate world up north. igbo n yoruba are closer geographically n share more in common, and the competition is mostly in lagos.
kannywood on the other hand doesn't really have a market in the south. mostly in the north so there is no competition w/ them.

asha 80:

Aloy are you in the movie biz?

I wonder the same. this aloy emeka guy seem to know some of the nollywood actors too. lol  lipsrsealed
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by sosisi(f): 12:39am On Aug 16, 2009
FL Gators:

People can lie on the net. They have the right to do so.

IP don't lie.

I don't speak French, but I can make it possible to make it seem like I'm a fluent French speaker

did you check the IP or just repeating lines started by becommerich and some other loons
becomerich also swore he checked aloyemeka's IP and that aloy was Seun Osewa
You may want to add that too
Re: Two Thumbs Down For Lagos International Film Festival by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:40am On Aug 16, 2009
My own is authentic, osisi

BecomeRich is psychotic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Best High School Movie / Download Mamba’s Diamond By Williams Uchemba Movie MP4 Video / "24" Season 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.