Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,387 members, 7,822,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. (7640 Views)

"I Haven’t Adopted The Title Of An Emir" - Oluwo Of Iwo Oba Abdul-Rasheed Akanbi / Before You Marry A Fulani Lady: 3 Important Things To Know / Idea Adopted By American Rapper Thug (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Baaballiyo(m): 11:06pm On Jun 09, 2016
Fulaman198:

Sumaaye jam e an bo? noy sumaaye derdam? Ada selli? A nani Fulfulde?

The Tukulor/Toucouleur or Toorobe are not Full-blooded Fulani, but they speak pure Pulaar/Fulfulde (the least unadulterated Fulani language). They are able to understand every region of Fulani from Senegal to Sudan which is amazing. Most Fulanis (myself included sometimes) may have difficulty understanding someone from a further away country. Like from time to time, I may have issues with someone from Senegal or Mauritania understanding what they say. But for the most part, I understand about 80% of what they say because of regional dialectal differences.

Sumaaye jam derdam, Mi nani Sadda mi ikkitodemma.
Am trying to learn but keep getting confused as to which one should I learn so many dialect and differences.
What do you mean by " Ada selli" I donot understand that.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 6:09am On Jun 10, 2016
Baaballiyo:

Sumaaye jam derdam, Mi nani Sadda mi ikkitodemma.
Am trying to learn but keep getting confused as to which one should I learn so many dialect and differences.
What do you mean by " Ada selli" I donot understand that.

Ada selli means are you doing well or are you in good health? I'm glad that your fasting is going well, it's ok you will learn it Insha'Allah.

1 Like

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Baaballiyo(m): 12:31pm On Jun 10, 2016
Fulaman198:

Ada selli means are you doing well or are you in good health? I'm glad that your fasting is going well, it's ok you will learn it Insha'Allah.

Allah reni Mi yetti, Allah jabu du'aa ma.

2 Likes

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 4:18pm On Jun 10, 2016
Baaballiyo:

Allah reni Mi yetti, Allah jabu du'aa ma.

Amiin
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Lilyomi2: 3:37pm On Jun 13, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Like I said, even the word dashiki is gotten from the Hausa words dan ciki (worn inside).
Yes but I'm quiet confused. Ghanaians refer to this cloth I usually see as Angelina and I hear Nigerians calling it Dashiki. I was told the cloth design has Ghanaian origin but how it is sewn as described by yourself gives it that name Dashiki .
This is the cloth

1 Like

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 8:45pm On Jun 17, 2016
Lilyomi2:

Yes but I'm quiet confused. Ghanaians refer to this cloth I usually see as Angelina and I hear Nigerians calling it Dashiki. I was told the cloth design has Ghanaian origin but how it is sewn as described by yourself gives it that name Dashiki .
This is the cloth

Like Vome mentioned earlier Miss, Dashiki came from the Hausa phrase "Dan Cikin" people in the West corrupted the original phrase to "Dashiki". I hope that you are doing well btw.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 8:47pm On Jun 17, 2016
@Omarbah, binguel gorko Omarbah, warti bandam! noy sumaaye bandirawo? noy koreeji di? An a pullo cusido! Yo alla yaaru yonki yesso.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Lilyomi2: 8:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
Fulaman198:

Like Vome mentioned earlier Miss, Dashiki came from the Hausa phrase "Dan Cikin" people in the West corrupted the original phrase to "Dashiki". I hope that you are doing well btw.

OK. Yes I am. Hope you are too?

1 Like

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 7:37am On Jun 20, 2016
Lilyomi2:

OK. Yes I am. Hope you are too?

Madallah! I'm doing well as well, Thanks!
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Omarbah: 1:32am On Jun 21, 2016
Fulaman198:

The actual difference from the Toorobe and other Fulani sub-groups is that the Fulani of Fouta Tooro are mainly fishermen. They do however speak the purest form of Fulani language today
That is questionable my friend. Those from Macina can claim otherwise. Fulbe from Futa Jallon, those that speak fulfulde well, pride themselves in speaking the most grammatically correct fulfulde. Amadou Hampathe Ba used to say that the region was the "tibet of fulbe in west Africa".
Sumaye no wadi lan jam.

1 Like

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Lilyomi2: 5:41am On Jun 21, 2016
Fulaman198:

Madallah! I'm doing well as well, Thanks!
And "Madallah" means?
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 8:03am On Jun 21, 2016
Omarbah:

That is questionable my friend. Those from Macina can claim otherwise. Fulbe from Futa Jallon, those that speak fulfulde well, pride themselves in speaking the most grammatically correct fulfulde. Amadou Hampathe Ba used to say that the region was the "tibet of fulbe in west Africa".
Sumaye no wadi lan jam.

True, I enjoy listening to Maasinakoore, it's a very beautiful variant of Fulfulde. How have you been brother? Long time my friend. It's good to see you again bandiraawo. How is your family? how is work?

I do kind of agree with Amadou Hampathe Ba's thought process on Maasina being the Tibet of the Fulbe in West Africa.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 8:03am On Jun 21, 2016
Lilyomi2:

And "Madallah" means?

It means good/excellent in the Hausa language smiley
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Omarbah: 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
Fulaman198:

True, I enjoy listening to Maasinakoore, it's a very beautiful variant of Fulfulde. How have you been brother? Long time my friend. It's good to see you again bandiraawo. How is your family? how is work?

I do kind of agree with Amadou Hampathe Ba's thought process on Maasina being the Tibet of the Fulbe in West Africa.
I have been good my brother. How about you? Btw, Hampathe Ba was refering to Futa Jallon.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Lilyomi2: 2:06pm On Jun 22, 2016
Fulaman198:

It means good/excellent in the Hausa language smiley

I'm yet to meet a Fulani who cannot speak Hausa. Most tend to speak Hausa even than their native language.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 4:12pm On Jun 22, 2016
Lilyomi2:

I'm yet to meet a Fulani who cannot speak Hausa. Most tend to speak Hausa even than their native language.

Really? Even in Ghana? Most Fulani outside of Nigeria and Niger republic don't speak Hausa though.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 4:15pm On Jun 22, 2016
Omarbah:

I have been good my brother. How about you? Btw, Hampathe Ba was refering to Futa Jallon.

He was referring to Fouta Djallon? Wow interesting and very good. But Fouta Jaloore has a significant amount of Mande loan words and French right? I mean present day Fouta Jaloore.

Min fuu/fof? Mida selli soobajo am!
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Lilyomi2: 7:02pm On Jun 22, 2016
Fulaman198:

Really? Even in Ghana? Most Fulani outside of Nigeria and Niger republic don't speak Hausa though.
well in bigger towns, they stay among Hausas so they tend to speak their language: otherwise they speak the language of the people around.

1 Like

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 7:18pm On Jun 22, 2016
Lilyomi2:

well in bigger towns, they stay among Hausas so they tend to speak their language: otherwise they speak the language of the people around.

Oh ok, that makes sense then. Very similar to Nigeria. I have never been to Ghana before but I hope within the next few years I go.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Fulaman198(m): 7:21pm On Jun 22, 2016
Lilyomi2:

BTW, OmarBah is one Fulani that can't speak Hausa lolllll. He is from the beautiful country of Guinea.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Lilyomi2: 8:13pm On Jun 22, 2016
Fulaman198:

BTW, OmarBah is one Fulani that can't speak Hausa lolllll. He is from the beautiful country of Guinea.
And I'm sure he will be more than willing to teach me at least the basics to help me mingle at my new station. Omarbah will you? Please? You need to see how I communicate with your people in sign language( invented by myself). Fulaman198 is almost always busy.

1 Like

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Omarbah: 8:11pm On Jun 23, 2016
Fulaman198:

He was referring to Fouta Djallon? Wow interesting and very good. But Fouta Jaloore has a significant amount of Mande loan words and French right? I mean present day Fouta Jaloore.

Min fuu/fof? Mida selli soobajo am!
True for those in towns that have not studied the language. Those that translate the Quran in Pular for example are excellent speakers. They apply the "selluka" or grammar in their writtings and during conversations.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Omarbah: 8:14pm On Jun 23, 2016
Lilyomi2:

And I'm sure he will be more than willing to teach me at least the basics to help me mingle at my new station. Omarbah will you? Please? You need to see how I communicate with your people in sign language( invented by myself). Fulaman198 is almost always busy.
New station? It depends on the Fulbe (fulanis) you are in contact with. Where are they from?
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by Lilyomi2: 11:00pm On Jun 23, 2016
Omarbah:

New station? It depends on the Fulbe (fulanis) you are in contact with. Where are they from?
I only know them as Ghanaian fulanis.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by smokinloud(m): 2:33am On Jun 13, 2023
banku:
You are totally misinformed. Look very well with your korokoro eyes again and come up with Fulani or Arabs wearing AGBADA. Don't you know the difference between Agbada, Bubu and Babariga?

Agbada is exclusively Yoruba invention before being adopted everywhere else. Olodo!
Thanks. God bless you!.

1 Like

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by banku: 4:58pm On Jun 15, 2023
Most Nigerians know the difference between Dashiki a casual wear, Boubou and Agbada. Going by some opinions here, we might as well say the Romans created Agbada or the Egyptian or Jews by Jesus robes!

I hope no one will dispute that Aso Oke passed from one generation to another is closer to Agbada than Boubou, Danshiki or the ancient Robes worn by Europeans.

Who is going to dispute Aso Oke with Kembe similarity with Agbada?

Some people are ready to give Yoruba inventions to any where around the world but their own neighbors in the same area.

1 Like

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by BabaRamota1980: 12:05pm On Jun 17, 2023
Baaballiyo:
A FULANI DESIGN, POPULARISED BY HAUSA MERCHANTS AND ADOPTED BY WEST AFRICANS.

A fashionable male traditional attire (clothing) that is symbolic to west Africa, its origin is west African, sewn and worn by flamboyant west Africans especially the Rich, the people of power, the royalty, the clerics and even the not so rich. This traditional dress is called "Boubou" by the Francophone west Africans and "Gown" by their Anglophone counterparts. The Hausa call it " Babbar riga" , the Yoruba call it "Agbada", "Gmajekura" by the Kanuri," "Mbubb" by the Wolofs of Senegal, "Gandora " by the Tuaregs and."Linshi-manga" by the Fulani.

Despite the popularity of this beautiful traditional attire, most of us are oblivious of the origin of this symbolic West African clothing. Many would be surprised to know that this clothing originated from the semi-sedentary Fulani cleric clan called "Torodbe" of the Fulani Takrur Empire ( Later Fuuta tooro in present day Senegal) of the 8th-12th century B.C.

The use of this attire become widespread throughout west Africa primarily due to the migration of the semi-nomadic Fulani clerics and secondarily by the merchant class of the Hausa people ( to a large extent ) and the "Dyula" ( who are a mandingo merchant clan of the Mali Empire) to a lesser extent.

Historically, this clothing has an Islamic identity because initially, it use was limited to the Islamized sections of west Africa. But gradually with the increase in trade and interaction between different parts of west Africa it's usage gained wide acceptance.

Today this traditional dress has broken the Islamic barrier, in that its usage is no more restricted to the Islamic population of west Africa, and has become widespread across the length and breath of west Africa irrespective of religion or ethnicity.

The "Linshi-manga" has become popular to the extent that the world of fashion consider it as a traditional symbol/identity of west Africans.

In Nigeria it is the most popular and most widely worn traditional outfit adorn by almost all Nigerian religions, tribes and ethnicities ( with the exception of the Niger-deltans ).

The "Babbar-riga" is very common among the Hausa population and it is worn as a symbol of power and wealth among most Southern (Nigerian) tribes especially amongst their elites. Historically it was worn by Yoruba chiefs like Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola, Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo love this attire alot. Amongst the Ibo chiefs, Chief Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe was a typical adorner of this beautiful gown.

It is beautiful,
It is fashionable,
It is delightful to behold.

Proudly West
African.

Agbada is originally Yoruba. Fulani did not invent it.

Fulani does not have clothing style in its indigeneous culture. Everything attributed to Fulani, beside cow herding is assimilated from other cultures it contacted in the course of nomadic travels.

Im available to challenge you on this.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by BabaRamota1980: 12:07pm On Jun 17, 2023
banku:
You are totally misinformed. Look very well with your korokoro eyes again and come up with Fulani or Arabs wearing AGBADA. Don't you know the difference between Agbada, Bubu and Babariga?

Agbada is exclusively Yoruba invention before being adopted everywhere else. Olodo!

God bless you!
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by BabaRamota1980: 12:17pm On Jun 17, 2023

Lol! Charlatan here. Please if you don't know what you're talking about, just shuut up.

The "Agbada" is generally believed to be of sahelian origin, the particular ethnic group responsible is not clear but the only logical explanation is you actually got this from your neighbours up north. You're welcome. Even the dashiki or what not is from the north, gotten from the Hausa words "dan ciki".

Just like we can't lay claim to the aso oke head tie that's now very popular in the north, don't claim what is not yours.

Generally believed is not acceptable. A specific placement is needed.
Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by BabaRamota1980: 7:13am On Jun 19, 2023
BabaRamota1980:

Agbada is originally Yoruba. Fulani did not invent it.

Fulani does not have clothing style in its indigeneous culture. Everything attributed to Fulani, beside cow herding is assimilated from other cultures it contacted in the course of nomadic travels.

Im available to challenge you on this.

I am surprised Baaballiyo, or any Fulani and others that subscribe to the falsehood that Fulani invented Agbada have remained mute.

Those that never created nor have indigeneous textile industry as a culture, cannot invent a garment style that outstripped styles originating from cultures like Yoruba with centuries old tradition of growing cotton, ginning, dyeing, weaving and embroidery.

Yoruba invented and made Agbada into West African mainstay. The direction of its journey is from Yorubaland to Westward and Northward...covering all of Sudan, and all way to Arabia where Agbada is called Abaya.

1 Like

Re: A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans. by RedboneSmith(m): 8:03am On Jun 19, 2023
I don't know if there's enough evidence to credit specific ethnic groups in the Sudan or the Sahel with developing the Babban riga. But it seems undoubtable to me that the direction of diffusion has been from north to south. It probably ultimately derived from Berber North Africa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogori - Magongo? / Pls Teach Me Ishan / Malcolm X And Martin Luther King Jr - Closer Than We Ever Thought

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.