Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,445 members, 7,843,367 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? (15359 Views)

Ussd Codes For Nigerian Banks / How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online / Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by jesuspikinjp(m): 10:48am On May 13, 2016
picsOR:

Of course you don't talk to yourself in real life. That would be insane.

leave that guy na bush man, never heard of a card called atm card b4 . instead of him to accept correction he is arguing blindly

2 Likes

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by rodbel(m): 11:03am On May 13, 2016
Dfinex:

NCC cards are issued to salary earners.

Issuance of NCC and it target market are for those in need of a line of credit with a proven source of income that can assure repayment is sufficient for NCC issuance.

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by nomoless: 11:24am On May 13, 2016
Thanks to everybody who has contributed so far, but the real issue is, can an ordinary market trader with a savings a/c walk into the bank and ask for a cc without being asked to show where his or her gmother was buried as a precondition. Also are interest rate not too harsh or stringent.

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by blank(f): 11:37am On May 13, 2016
fulfillment2020:
Most people saying Nigerian banks issue credit cards don't know the difference between credit and debit cards.
What our banks issues are debit cards.

Stop speaking like an uneducated fellow. Why not just say you are not qualified for one.

I have credit cards and i have debit cards and i know the difference between the two.

Most banks issue credit cards but you need to pass credit checks from the credit bureau and your banking institution.

3 Likes

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Nobody: 11:51am On May 13, 2016
They issue credit cards.

In fact, for some banks, of you're to request for loan from them, they'd also issue credit card to you as well as a debit card.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by jayAjoku(m): 12:04pm On May 13, 2016
What a stupid thing to say ... smh credit cards have you not seen how americans are suffering cause of this poo credit cards taking anything on credit is reckless and stupid pay when you have the money ...... rubbish idea
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by zinaunreal(m): 12:54pm On May 13, 2016
This would be the dream of yahoo boys grin
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by 2n2k(m): 1:05pm On May 13, 2016
Stanbicibtc issues visa naira credit card acceptable worldwide with almost 100% availability. What is more, it still allows dynamic currency conversion (dcc) which has been disabled on all naira debit cards.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by ohzee(f): 1:25pm On May 13, 2016
since1914:

I think with the BVN, it is possible to run a credit background check on each individual irrespective of the bank their accounts are domiciled at. Therefore, if Mr. A takes a credit card loan from Bank GTBANK, it will be impossible for him to take another loan from Zenith Bank until he repays the first one. All the bank needs to do, is to use his BVN number to run a background check to ascertain his credit worthiness. If he fails to pay the money after its due date, the same BVN can be used to trace all his other bank accounts and if funded, the value of the credit can be debited from there.

So with the BVN, Mr. A cannot take credit and run away, unless off course he never wants to own a bank account in his lifetime again. I think this presents a good opportunity for banks to start reaching out to individual customers to borrow. The level of credit an individual is entitled to, should be determined by the volume of business they transact on their bank accounts annually. For this credit system to work effectively, the CBN also need to set up a department/agency totally dedicated to the management of bank customer credit information so that banks can access them when they need them.

Good points. I believe AMCON is already doing this with bank loan defaulters. They can as well extend it to credit cards.

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by InvertedHammer: 3:23pm On May 13, 2016
DICKtator:

Because of the peculiarities of the Nigerian factor, I think it should be secured to mitigate against risk(s) involved.
Proper documentation and T&C should cover this!.

And talking about collection agencies, there are debt recovery agencies(debt factoring) in Nigeria and they work!!!.
And what do you mean by giving credit backed by the amount in the individual's account? You know I can clear my account and the bank cannot freeze my account without securing a court order first?

grin grin grin grin
/
They won't let you clear your account if your cash in the bank is the collateral. You will get "Insufficient fund" notification. More like they put a lien on the money in your account and the lien discharged in equal proportion to the amount being paid back until all credits are cleared. I think it is called secure credit card.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by An0nimus: 3:25pm On May 13, 2016
lol this thread is a testament that many Nigerians don't know our banks issue credit cards.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by moshoodn(m): 3:26pm On May 13, 2016
Half of the populace are not credit worthy....
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Dfinex(f): 3:30pm On May 13, 2016
rodbel:

Issuance of NCC and it target market are for those in need of a line of credit with a proven source of income that can assure repayment is sufficient for NCC issuance.

So do u practice what u preach??.....that's exactly the point the op is driving at.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by InvertedHammer: 3:31pm On May 13, 2016
An0nimus:
lol this thread is a testament that many Nigerians don't know our banks issue credit cards.
/
I am talking about issuing credit cards like they do in every other place where anyone with any kind of jobs can get credit cards. As it is, credit cards are not very common in Nigeria for obvious reasons. It is the same as loans. Banks in Nigeria give out loans all the time (we know) but goodluck getting that loan if you are a commoner.
\
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 13, 2016
StillBrandnew:

Corruption cannot be totally killed, it can only be reduced while 10% to 15% unemployment may be achievable in the long run. However, with the BVN in place, debt recovery would be a lot easier.

@donvicky2007 I believe there is enough cyber security in place already and the debit and prepaid cards they issue presently are also being used online.
U cannot have enough cyber security already, the cyber miscreant will always adopt ways to bypass and or breach security checks, that been said, the op is right, we need a CC, cos I mean we cannot talk growth without adopting new Techs right?
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by An0nimus: 3:42pm On May 13, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
I am talking about issuing credit cards like they do in every other place where anyone with any kind of jobs can get credit cards. As it is, credit cards are not very common in Nigeria for obvious reasons. It is the same as loans. Banks in Nigeria give out loans all the time (we know) but goodluck getting that loan if you are a commoner.
\

Read the OP. He didn't say CCs are above reach of commoners. The question is when will banks start issuing them. Everyone knows banks give loans under very strict guidelines. Not everyone knows banks issue CCs.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by InvertedHammer: 3:43pm On May 13, 2016
An0nimus:

Read the OP. He didn't say CCs are above reach of commoners. The question is when will banks start issuing them. Everyone knows banks give loans under very strict guidelines. Not everyone knows banks issue CCs.
/
I see your point.

Kudos.
\

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by iomoge2(f): 6:50pm On May 13, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Do you know what a credit card is ??

I doubt
Lol.
I work with one of the banks mentioned.

I know please.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by hresso: 8:29am On May 14, 2016
Caracta:

ATM card? Ain't they all ATM cards since they are used on ATMs? Educate me bro. Do we have cards separately for ATMs and another for POS and other alternative channels?

Really?
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by ttmacoy: 12:21pm On May 16, 2016
It says debit card right on the card you claim is not a debit card but an ATM card doesn't it?

They are all ATM cards as they can all be used to withdraw money from an ATM.

Th difference between them is when you use a debit card, the transaction results in a debit to your account thereby reducing the account balance. It is linked to your current account.

When you use a credit card the transaction results in a credit against you as you now owe the bank. You can use a credit card at an ATM though you get charged with fee and probably higher interest rate so it's never advisable to do so.

The other card you showed from Walmart or wherever is a pre-paid card which means you preload it before using. It also says debit because transactions results in a debit against the money you have pre loaded to the account. It is used in place of the credit card for people who do not have the credit worthiness to get a proper credit card or bank account.

They are all ATM cards.

RichYoungNigga:
This is an Atm card.
It is issued by your bank.
You can't buy it in the store.

You can't add money on it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Listed In Top Three Most Customer Focused Banks In Nigeria / Easiest Way To Send Money From Algeria To Nigeria? / Contempt: Diamond Bank, Shell Directors In Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.