Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,067 members, 7,953,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:07 PM

A Word To Writers... Don't Give Up On Your Work!! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Word To Writers... Don't Give Up On Your Work!! (605 Views)

A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section / Pictures That Speak Without Saying A Word / An Open Invitation To Writers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Word To Writers... Don't Give Up On Your Work!! by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 13, 2016
I've read a number of comments on different threads and write-ups from writers who are frustrated because they aren't able to do anything with their writing. They were either frustrated with getting their work published, finding ideas, earning a living or building an audience. Some were frustrated by all of these and then some.

When I would visit links to their blogs, they were dead. Meaning, the site was still on the web, but the writer/author was no longer publishing to the site. To which I only assume could be because they were frustrated by the fact that they weren't getting anywhere with their.

And while I can understand that frustration, I would like to say to them and anyone else who feels frustrated, to not give up on your work.

Earning a living can be challenging in and of itself, but to do so through a creative medium like writing, can be even harder. But regardless of what you're facing, if you feel writing is your calling, and it's what you want to do in life, my advice to you is not to quit. I'm not saying allow yourself to starve or never find another means of earning an income if your writing career isn't going so well, but what I am saying is that you should not give up on your dreams to be a writer.

I believe that whatever we want in life, we should pursue. As long as it's not harming other people. Sometimes, we aren't able to pursue our dreams in the manner we wish, and we mistake that as a sign that it isn't meant for us. But it's not. It just means you have to find another way there.

If you were traveling to the store, and the road ahead was blocked off, would you turn around and go home, and say to your family that you can't buy food because the road is blocked? Or would you find another way to get to the store so you could feed your family?

Just because things don't happen as you want, doesn't mean give up. It just means find another way. If you're not moving forward with your writing aspirations, don't give up. Instead figure out what you can do with the time you have to move forward. Maybe you have to settle for writing 30 minutes a day, for 9 months, because you have to work and take care of your family during most of the day. If that's what it takes to get your book finished, why not do it?

Keep pushing and keep writing. Adjust your circumstances as you need to, just don't give up on your work.

Be blessed!

Ra
Re: A Word To Writers... Don't Give Up On Your Work!! by Akposb(m): 12:42pm On May 14, 2016
This is not just timely, it is a great advice for anytime. The urge to write is there but when needs and expenses mount up, it suddenly appears you are playing along. I won't give up on my life-long dream of writing even as I think up schemes to earn from it. I read and enjoy others hence I just won't entertain that idea.

1 Like

Re: A Word To Writers... Don't Give Up On Your Work!! by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 14, 2016
Akposb:
This is not just timely, it is a great advice for anytime. The urge to write is there but when needs and expenses mount up, it suddenly appears you are playing along. I won't give up on my life-long dream of writing even as I think up schemes to earn from it. I read and enjoy others hence I just won't entertain that idea.

I'm glad it helped. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Episode 2: Wives On The Run; Story By Joy Akosa-eghebi / We Need Poets And Fiction Writers For Our E-magazine / The 2017 Commonwealth Short Story Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.