Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,512 members, 7,816,237 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! (30043 Views)

Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira / Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by waice6571: 8:30am On May 15, 2016
I have the opportunity of making enquires from some of this commercial banks for project sponsorship. Believe me, they lack virtually all the experties and counsels required for a start up business. But excellent in telling you your business idea can not work.

One of them told me they are not financing long term business.
I asked for clarification: she replied that, any project that falls between 2weeks and 12weeks and max 20weeks can only be considered and must be strictly trading.

I got an international funder for the project but the banks blatantly refused me BG (Bank Guarantee) citing $/# disparities as the issue.

Another funder demanded for equity participation of which, I didn't have 1/10th of it.
I went back to the bank to know what is likely to happen in case I miraculously fulfil my new founder's request.
The lady told me that, I will provide the bank with 120% of the total sum of the contract as collateral before they can take possession of the fund.
What next? Put the contract file on the shelf and hope for a brown new headway.

Nigeria banks are in to kill any business opportunity with their needless and endless policies. EXCEPT LOOTING AND STEALING BUSINESSES.

Note: some of the encounters can not be shared on a public forum for the reasons best know to me. But all true to life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by Michael333: 8:39am On May 15, 2016
[quote author=Remii post=45632499] Giant stride indeed, the problem started before GEJ left, remember started devaluation before he left and he borrowed to pay salaries towards end of his tenure, when we discuss what affects our lives, we should be apolitical, politicians take care of themselves only, they don't care about us. PMB made the situation worse by delaying government start up and should have devalued to like N225 when he came in, now we may devalue to like N300 which will make every one poor who kept
his/her fund in Naira poorer with very high inflation.
[Pls what is devaluation. Don't say what u don't know. The problem started with GEJ, but its worst now. In fact it's a disaster, because we hv a clueless dullard as president...]
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by InvertedHammer: 8:53am On May 15, 2016
/
First Bank's woes have little to do with FX and naira devaluation. They relied on government patronage whereby they got excess liquidity from the government allocations and in turn make out loans to oil companies. They refused to reinvent themselves. The TSA killed that practice. Oil companies are barely breaking even and may not be able to service their loans due to the rout in oil prices.

I think First Bank should pack up because they are not solvent. After IMF's Largade visited Nigeria, I suspected that something onerous is cooking and subsequently closed all exposures to Nigeria banks. In this era, it is shoot first and ask questions later. Some folks asked me my rationale for such preemptive move. My response was succinct--by the time you find the right answer, your money is gone. It usually happens after Friday's market close. By Monday, folks will meet locked gates with fierce-looking Mopols to maintain law and order. Forewarned is fore-armed.
\

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by 989900: 8:58am On May 15, 2016
waice6571:
I have the opportunity of making enquires from some of this commercial banks for project sponsorship. Believe me, they lack virtually all the experties and counsels required for a start up business. But excellent in telling you your business idea can not work.

I asked for clarification: she replied that, any project that falls between 2weeks and 12weeks and max 20weeks can only be considered and must be strictly trading.

I got an international funder for the project but the banks blatantly refused me BG (Bank Guarantee) citing $/# disparities as the issue.

Another funder demanded for equity participation of which, I didn't have 1/10th of it.
I went back to the bank to know what is likely to happen in case I miraculously fulfil my new founder's request.
The lady told me that, I will provide the bank with 120% of the total sum of the contract as collateral before they can take possession of the fund.

Nigeria banks are in to kill any business opportunity with their needless and endless policies. EXCEPT LOOTING AND STEALING BUSINESSES.

Note: some of the encounters can not be shared on a public forum for the reasons best know to me. But all true to life.

I had to check again to be sure I was not the one that wrote this. cheesy

The reality would soon set in for them though . . . actually it is already. They only finance oil cabals.

The CBN is largely to blame though.

I've since conceded all my borrowings to my foreign banks where I'm charged as low as 2-5%/annum.

And that too with the insanely epileptic xchange rates, is a trickish one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by waice6571: 9:14am On May 15, 2016
989900:

I had to check again to be sure I was not the one that wrote this. cheesy

The reality would soon set in for them though . . . actually it is already. They only finance oil cabals.

The CBN is largely to blame though.

I've since conceded all my borrowings to my foreign banks where I'm charged as low as 2-5%/annum.

And that too with the insanely epileptic xchange rates, is a trickish one.

So I'm not the only in that pinching shoes.

I got 5% from abroad compare to 26% local with 2years maratonum which is ok by me yet no movement.

That 's the reason behind their regression.
They are all lazy bones that never take even a calculated risk.

1 Like

Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by Rexology: 9:37am On May 15, 2016
Technically, the word 'Insolvent' is more appropriate in this context... because it's only the COURT that can declare an insolvent person bankrupt ' an insolvent person can approach the court to declare him or her bankrupt.
Therefore entity like FBN CANNOT claim bankruptcy according to Nigerian bankruptcy law, they can be liquidated if it becomes insolvent.

In a more simple way, entities CANNOT become bankrupt, they can only become insolvent which can result to liquidation (according to Nigerian bankruptcy law). It's only an individual that can be declared bankrupt NOT companies like FBN.

I
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by flokii: 9:43am On May 15, 2016
What happened to first bank na..

Something is not right with d bank
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by Rekeb: 9:45am On May 15, 2016
babdap:
If First bank goes bankrupt, I wonder what will happen to almost if not all the banks in Nigeria.

Most of the other banks are better run than First Bank. You need to look at the financials to confirm my statement.
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by vivalavida(m): 9:45am On May 15, 2016
realjoker:

As expected from the sons of prediction.
This is their normal trait, wail unnecessarily, shout Daura President, just to gain cheap popularity and garner likes from their co wailers and hence paid from their paymaster.
Is not you and your wailing wailers co-mourners suffering from the hangover of an election of over a year lost that have been fighting tooth and nail calling for the devaluation of the naira with Fayose being at the helm of affairs of being the Chief Mourner?
When we were warning you wailers that many banks will pack up, many States will go bankrupt and many Firms will retrench if the Naira is devalued since many of their debts are in dollar denomination and from foreign lenders mostly eurobond, imf lond, loans from world banks which they will need extra 60% Naira to service this foreign debt you start calling BUBu Daura President, you started calling our honourable Minister
of Fin. puppet and compare her with aunty Ngozi voodoo economic who was a monumental failure and call we the patriotism citizens Zombies abi.
Now the day don done you started singing a different song and trying to shift the goal post abi.

Same way u were shouting the infamous sai baba pre-election period and garnering like like it was running outta fashion.

Meanwhile it is sons of PERDITION and not PREDICTION

3 Likes

Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by LyfeJennings(m): 10:17am On May 15, 2016
Jide Omokore
Tunde Aluko
Those guys ruined first bank

1 Like

Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by owagbeba: 10:21am On May 15, 2016
TippyTop:
[s][/s]

You're not forced to come to the politics section, if you're tired of the bitter truth, I suggest you head over to the the Romance section.

I like current affairs that's why I am here to read news and sensible contribution. But when you and folks like you writing Buhari and Jonathan from page 1 to 10, it makes it difficult for me and so many other folks to read anything meaningful. Please STOP!

1 Like

Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by realjoker(m): 10:29am On May 15, 2016
vivalavida:

Same way u were shouting the infamous sai baba pre-election period and garnering like like it was running outta fashion.

Meanwhile it is sons of PERDITION and not PREDICTION
lol. and same way you were shouting the infamous GEJ till 2199 before you now realised that you are not Nigeria after the lost of the election. And thanks for the correction and thanks to Android aggressive auto correct.
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by dahmie2013: 10:40am On May 15, 2016
nwaanambra1:
like first bank like every other bank in Nigeria - they only invest where the profit will be astronomical without stress.

they all refused to invest in the youths - they all failed to encourage entrepreneurship. People with great ideas that will amount to great profits in future where denied loans. they where all interested in giving loans to mighty companies with or without insurance.

The day of reckoning is here for all the financial institutions. like the President said during inauguration - in his government, you reap what you sow, its time for hard-work to be appreciated.

First bank and the rest of them can still retrace their steps before its too late for them.
I cudunt agree less bro! Wen dey were suppose 2 give SME's d money 2 start up deir businesses, dey refused&chose d likes of Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga & Co. Now see d result, besides, d monies dese ppl were asking 4 are not much, like 2m, 3m, compared 2 what dose big wigs needed. It is well o! God will see us thru.
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by dahmie2013: 10:46am On May 15, 2016
waice6571:

This is really sad. Sumone actually told me we're not doing Banking in Nigeria&I cudnt agree less.
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by DICKtator: 11:09am On May 15, 2016
What happened to the collaterals for the loan?

Isn't that what they can use to recoup their money?

At least, someone that collects FX from a reputable bank as First Bank would've undergone a thorough scrutiny to determine his/her credit worthiness!!

Please sack your credit officers,risk management team,bank managers who approves such Fx and. auditors!!!!.

All these analysis that sound like crap!!!

Isn't there non-current asset that should be used as a collateral for such?
What happened to floating/fixed charge?

In fact, how did the loan/FX enter the NPL limit?

And like there isn't provision for the doubtful and bad debts ?
Abeg make we hear word!!!

Since 1887!!!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by push23: 11:10am On May 15, 2016
[size=28pt]Bi to SE Ni da fu ka to ogire, Ni Obasanjo le ka, ki re.

SE eru PE kalo kalo local government election le je ki e progress

. [/size]
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by opribo(m): 12:06pm On May 15, 2016
O lord not again they have started with their magic I better go get my little change out fast. If this can affect FirstBank I wonder where banks like keystone, Unity will be by now. I smell trouble I tell you. I have been in the country long enough to tell you when I see them bank collapse coming.
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by showreals(m): 12:13pm On May 15, 2016
nwaanambra1:
like first bank like every other bank in Nigeria - they only invest where the profit will be astronomical without stress.

they all refused to invest in the youths - they all failed to encourage entrepreneurship. People with great ideas that will amount to great profits in future where denied loans. they where all interested in giving loans to mighty companies with or without insurance.

The day of reckoning is here for all the financial institutions. like the President said during inauguration - in his government, you reap what you sow, its time for hard-work to be appreciated.

First bank and the rest of them can still retrace their steps before its too late for them.

May God Bless you
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by Tantoluwa(m): 1:33pm On May 15, 2016
Na wa o! Nigerians and their nonsensical irrational attitudes sha. Chai. Simple article is so hard for these nairalanders to read or understand. Analyst has said his own and we are all jumping up and down to claim withdrawing our 2k in the bank will pull down the bank! Na wa o. All banks are exposed to this issues plaguing our dear father and motherland. And Rencap are just one group of analysts. What of the other even more formidable and credible companies that have said Firstbank's fundamentals are strong and there is nothing to worry about? Let's stop these panic comments that end up doing us more harm and no good? #Secondbasejoor!
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by Ademusiwa1: 1:55pm On May 15, 2016
[size=28pt]
Cbn can not devalue the naira any more

.[/size]
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by 7lives: 4:04pm On May 15, 2016
nwaanambra1:

Your head dey there, they only give loans to politicians for campaign they did not know that the day of reckoning is coming, you will see them declaring huge profit margin as if bank is the only thing functioning in Nigeria.
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by 7lives: 4:27pm On May 15, 2016
TippyTop:

Talking of bad luck, did you suffer like this under his administration? Buhari is bad luck personified, there's a reason God prevented him from ruling for 30yrs. We disobeyed God by voting a cattle rearer, managing the lives of his citizens like he does his cows.

You see your life? when people cannot differentiate between fantasy and reality this is what happens.
God delivered us from that Alibaba and his band of thieves and you are here fantasizing about how it should have been if jona had won, I keep saying it that anyone who is not up to 12 years in 1985 have no business discussing this current state of the Nigerian economy.
What is happening now was what happened between 1985 and 2002 and we really need to thank George Bush jnr for the great escape then.
This is why I can never forgive jona, Dezani and that blind bat Ngozi who knew the consequence but still went ahead to sacrifice this country on the alter of personal ambition.
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by pacespot(m): 4:45pm On May 15, 2016
Useless bank. I opened account with them mainly for internet transaction. They asked me to pay for their Token to use the service, I payed N2700 for that. They charged me a fee of N100 for One-Time Password (OTP) on my Verve card. Now I later discovered the Verve card couldn't make online transaction.

I had to go back there for a Master Card, Payed N1000 for the Master card and another N100 for OTP. These people don't even care whether they deliver the service, all they care about is the money.

Now, I used the Master Card only twice, and four months later it started telling me "OTP authentication failed". I can't make payment online with the Master card again.

This First Bank Nigeria PLC is just a fraud!
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by Themandator: 6:41pm On May 15, 2016
Is that why they resorted to reckless deductions from customers balances with them.... I Let them since last month.
Re: Devaluation To Push First Bank Towards BANKRUPTCY!!! by Adesiji77: 7:10pm On May 15, 2016
waice6571:

In my own little way, I understand your frustration with our commercial banks. It can be very painful when you are looking at a business proposal that you have invested so much time, energy and resources on and that could also turn around everything for good only to be advised of a declined.

However, you may also need to appreciate where these banks are coming from. Most of our banks are sitting on loans that are potential time-bombs. A lot of local borrowings that were approved based on fantastic projections have turned out to be dead ends.

Prudential guidelines require banks to adequately cover themselves against exposures that could arise from loans and so the usual insistence on some sort of collateral. The 2009 crisis is still fresh in our minds: a sizeable number of these loans were not fully collateralized.

Most banks (if not all) are shying away from issuing guarantees to foreign lenders and understandably so. There are lot of uncertainties that comes with this in view of current FX fluctuations, asides cost overruns that may be associated with long term projects. Also, as you rightly observe, most banks lack the required expertise to handle start-up businesses AND long-term project financing. They do not want to take the risks that they do not understand.

I heard some foreign private equity firms no longer ask for local bank guarantees. Maybe you should explore this. Cheers!

Cc: 989900

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Glory Osei And Muyiwa Folorunsho Accused Fraud By Ex-Employee / Debtor Strips Unclad To Avoid Paying Up After Running Into The Lady He Was Owing / If You're Owing A Loan App... What To Do.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.