Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,671 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. (1995 Views)

Vocal Analysis Of Some Of The Best Vocalists Outside Classical Music / Do We Have Electric Dance Music Lovers In Nigeria? / Male Vocal Range And Voice Types! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 11:13am On May 15, 2016
So, I just watched the movie, Whiplash a week ago, which is an incredibly exceptional movie by the way. If you haven't watched it, you definitely should. And one thing that I enjoyed about the movie, asides the amazing acting, was the Jazz songs and how beautifully they were to listen to.

I for one am a lover of various genre of music. I listen to songs depending on my mood. But more often than not, I am able to find solace and oneness with myself when I listen to non vocal songs. And by non vocal, I mean songs that don't involve actual singing, just the resonating sound instruments. I listen to classical music, a bit of Yanni, lots of Lindsey Stirling and I also love Chinese traditional music. These kind of music helps me relax and meditate.

Watching Whiplash opened up my mind to the beautiful world of Jazz. When the band played- Too hip to retire, I remember rewinding the scene over and over to the beginning of the song, because I was amazed at the beauty of the sound. At that point, I fell in love with Jazz. I also loved Caravan by Juan Tizol and Ellington and the Whiplash theme song.

So since then I have been searching for great non vocal Jazz songs to download. And I have brought my search to Nairaland. Because I want suggestions from Nigerians like me; people I can relate with. I am sure there are Jazz lovers on Nairaland.

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Cholls(m): 11:25am On May 15, 2016
my brother :d

I recommend John Scofield classics or yusef lateef.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 11:45am On May 15, 2016
Cholls:
my brother :d

I recommend John Scofield classics or yusef lateef.

Okay, thanks bro. I will check them out.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Sleekyshuga(f): 1:46pm On May 15, 2016
Jazz is beautiful as it brings this inner peace, especially the non vocals, though it seems they are rare. You just have to flow with the instrumentals. I know Louis Armstrong and Billie Holliday are good, though they do vocals.

This link should help smiley, though you would have to do manual downloads..

http://mobile.digitaldreamdoor.com/jazz/songs-jazz-instrumentals.html
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 15, 2016
Sleekyshuga:
Jazz is beautiful as it brings this inner peace, especially the non vocals, though it seems they are rare. You just have to flow with the instrumentals. I know Louis Armstrong and Billie Holliday are good, though they do vocals.

This link should help smiley, though you would have to do manual downloads..

http://mobile.digitaldreamdoor.com/jazz/songs-jazz-instrumentals.html

Thanks a lot. Yes, the non vocals are quite rare. When I did a google search, most of the ones that people suggested were the vocals.

I don't mind downloading manually. I actually hesitated in creating this thread cause I thought I wouldn't get responses, but it's nice to see that there are Nigerians like yourself who appreciate beautiful, non vocal music.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Sleekyshuga(f): 2:08pm On May 15, 2016
Decker:

Thanks a lot. Yes, the non vocals are quite rare. When I did a google search, most of the ones that people suggested were the vocals.

I don't mind downloading manually. I actually hesitated in creating this thread cause I thought I wouldn't get responses, but it's nice to see that there are Nigerians like yourself who appreciate beautiful, non vocal music.
Dad helped cheesy.. He is more into the non vocals.. I learn from him..

You are most welcome..
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 15, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Dad helped cheesy.. He is more into the non vocals.. I learn from him..

You are most welcome..

You were lucky to have a parent who listened to this kind of music. Me, I didn't have anyone to introduce me to classical/non vocal music. I grew up in an environment where everyone was interested in listening to just vocal music.

Actually, my journey to classical music discovery is quite a funny one. It started when i watched Home Alone. Lol. You know the scene where after Kevin talked to the old scary man in the church and was leaving, and the bell rang? There was a particular tune that was played as he was running home from the church. The song was so beautiful and I would often play the scene just to listen to the song. It was later when the internet became easily accessible that I did a little research on the song and I realized it was composed by a classical composer by name John Williams. The same guy who composed the Harry Potter theme. And it was under the genre- Classical music. So I was so intrigued by this new genre. So I did more research and I learned about other great composers like Beethoven and Bach and lots of amazing classical pieces. From there on I delved into other forms of non vocal music.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Sleekyshuga(f): 2:52pm On May 15, 2016
Decker:

You were lucky to have a parent who listened to this kind of music. Me, I didn't have anyone to introduce me to classical/non vocal music. I grew up in an environment where everyone was interested in listening to just vocal music.

Actually, my journey to classical music discovery is quite a funny one. It started when i watched Home Alone. Lol. You know the scene where after Kevin talked to the old scary man in the church and was leaving, and the bell rang? There was a particular tune that was played as he was running home from the church. The song was so beautiful and I would often play the scene just to listen to the song. It was later when the internet became easily accessible that I did a little research on the song and I realized it was composed by a classical composer by name John Williams. The same guy who composed the Harry Potter theme. And it was under the genre- Classical music. So I was so intrigued by this new genre. So I did more research and I learned about other great composers like Beethoven and Bach and lots of amazing classical pieces. From there on I delved into other forms of non vocal music.
Hehehehehehe.. Well, my experience ain't different from yours.. I was more into county and Reggaes as I paid less attention to other genres..

My dad was either humming or gesturing with his hand to instrumentals, smiling at us.. Sorry to say but we thought he had issues grin (I was very young then).. While taking us to school, we will always tell him, Daddy, play Kenny R, Dolly P, Eric D or even the Westlifes.. This man isn't singing.. He is only humming grin..

I visited a friend who was listening to Beethoven's classicals, after which he switched to Enya's & Yanni's New Age.. They blew me away cheesy..

My dad has Louis Armstrong's, Charlie P's, John C's collections which after I listened to Yanni, a love for classicals and jazz grew rapidly. With my dad's oldies, I built it.. I just love that man kiss..

While reading Half of a Yellow Sun, I stumbled on Billie H, and decided to listen to her.. She is good, though into vocals..
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 15, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Hehehehehehe.. Well, my experience ain't different from yours.. I was more into county and Reggaes as I paid less attention to other genres..

My dad was either humming or gesturing with his hand to instrumentals, smiling at us.. Sorry to say but we thought he had issues grin (I was very young then).. While taking us to school, we will always tell him, Daddy, play Kenny R, Dolly P, Eric D or even the Westlifes.. This man isn't singing.. He is only humming grin..

I visited a friend who was listening to Beethoven's classicals, after which he switched to Enya's & Yanni's New Age.. They blew me away cheesy..

My dad has Louis Armstrong's, Charlie P's, John C's collections which after I listened to Yanni, a love for classicals and jazz grew rapidly. With my dad's oldies, I built it.. I just love that man kiss..

While reading Half of a Yellow Sun, I stumbled on Billie H, and decided to listen to her.. She is good, though into vocals..

Lol @ thinking your dad had issues. I won't lie, I also do the hand and finger gestures. Most times when I have my head phones on and I am flickering my fingers in the air, my friends would think I am going crazy. What they don't understand is that I have transitioned into the a temporal musical limbo where the only connection I have to my earthly body is my fingers, hence their flickering.

And talking about half of the yellow sun, I think I have to go back to reading it. I am still stuck in chapter two. Lazy me.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Sleekyshuga(f): 3:24pm On May 15, 2016
Decker:

Lol @ thinking your dad had issues. I won't lie, I also do the hand and finger gestures. Most times when I have my head phones on and I am flickering my fingers in the air, my friends would think I am going crazy. What they don't understand is that I have transitioned into the a temporal musical limbo where the only connection I have to my earthly body is my fingers, hence their flickering.

And talking about half of the yellow sun, I think I have to go back to reading it. I am still stuck in chapter two. Lazy me.
Same @ the finger gesturing, though on piece and head phones.. With music, you get into another realm cheesy..

We thought he had issues cos he was always driving, letting his hands go off the steering wheels at a time, smiling, making the whoosh sound grin grin.. At that point, the man was gone oo..

Twas while I grew up, I knew music had power.. You just loose it cheesy.. You wouldn't want to be around me when I play Reggaes.. I get lost, mehn cheesy..

Half of a Yellow Sun is good, though it brought tears to my eyes.. The Nigeria-Biafra war which she tried capturing was a bitter one, and it got me worried why people still clamor for war embarassed..

C.N.A did wet my appetite to know more though, not for any reason.. I just want to be knowledgeable.. When I asked my dad, he handed this one over to me; The Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War by Alexander A. Madiebo..

He (A.A.M) witnessed it, and at such, he wrote from his experience.. I am on it..
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 15, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

Same @ the finger gesturing, though on piece and head phones.. With music, you get into another realm cheesy..

We thought he had issues cos he was always driving, letting his hands go off the steering wheels at a time, smiling, making the whoosh sound grin grin.. At that point, the man was gone oo..

Twas while I grew up, I knew music had power.. You just loose it cheesy.. You wouldn't want to be around me when I play Reggaes.. I get lost, mehn cheesy..

Half of a Yellow Sun is good, though it brought tears to my eyes.. The Nigeria-Biafra war which she tried capturing was a bitter one, and it got me worried why people still clamor for war embarassed..

C.N.A did wet my appetite to know more though, not for any reason.. I just want to be knowledgeable.. When I asked my dad, he handed this one over to me; The Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War by Alexander A. Madiebo..

He (A.A.M) witnessed it, and at such, he wrote from his experience.. I am on it..

What? Okay, just the hand gestures is understandable, but letting your hands go off the staring wheel calls for concern. Lol. But I understand why he would do that though. You can't be your normal self when you fellowship with the spirits of music. I like your dad. He seems like a cool guy.

You must really love reggae. cheesy

Chimamanda has a special way of writing where she captures the complete emotion of her characters through her writing. I just finished Americana. Americanah in my opinion is her best work ever, although not as interesting a story, as her other previous stories. I love works of literature that bother on actual human problems both historical and present, as opposed to mere, random unrealistic fiction.

Yes, war isn't something anyone should wish for. I also wonder the same. Though, some of the people who are clamoring for war don't actually want war, they just want division, but I don't think you can't have one without the other.

My dad experienced the Biafran war and he told me lots of stories about how it went down. The death and the suffering, the sickness the starvation and the constant running and lack of shelter. It's not the kind of stories I love to hear and definitely isn't something I would want to experience in my life time. People who clamor for war don't know what they are clamoring for. A lot of them haven't experienced it before.

I think Half of the Yellow sun is enough for me. I have had my fill of Biafran war tales.

Are you more emotional towards books than visual depictions in motion picture? You said you cried when you read HOAYS, would you cry had it been it was a movie.

Most people who have finished HOAYS say that the movie didn't do justice to the book, do you also submit to that line of thought?
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Sleekyshuga(f): 4:58pm On May 15, 2016
@ Decker, dad is a great man. You can't help but like him.. All those display was while he was still younger (late 30's, very early 40's) cheesy.. He wouldn't try that now, though he is still young..

Yeah! I love reggaes. They preach truth, though I listen to Lucky D's collections more.. I have very few of others..

C.N.A is a beautiful writer, and being a Nigerian female makes me love her more.. Her Americanah is intriguing; you can't drop the book as each chapter comes with its suspense cheesy.. Well, I think it was a realistic fiction.. The only place I had issues which I threw open as a question on my diary was when Ifemelu came back from the US and wanted Obinze back.. I totally disagreed at such love/lust.. 15 years was enough to forget someone and move on.. If it ever happens, on rare cases..

I read anything as long as I can gain knowledge from it cheesy..

Same at dad witnessing the war.. After I finished HOAYS, I engaged him.. The stories he told me were gory, though he was still a little boy (not even up to a teen).. Just maybe, I will engage my granny cheesy, though boify asked I dropped it.. My inquisitive nature is something I just love and fear at the same time cheesy..

True at divisions can't come without war especially when it is not a peaceful one..

LOL! Well, I can be very emotional smiley; be it visuals, written or oral words, though I think visuals move me more..

Also, I follow an author when I read, i.e, I place my motion in scenes; I could be reading and the next minute, I am gasping, jumping, clapping my hands, writing, circling words, giving the thumbs up sign, feeling sad, laughing, imitating a character etc..

The movie got me emotional (I want to do a repeat) but yeah, the movie was a tip of an ice berg when compared to the book.. The sorrows, deaths, hunger, tears, running and hiding in bunkers etc she talked about in the book (which I pictured) was very slim in the movie..

Well, I think it was for the best.. If she had gone raw on that movie, it would have instigated a dead or about to die hatred, though I heard lots of scenes were deleted during the production..
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 15, 2016
@sleekyshuga

You are really lucky to have such a cool dad like that. cheesy

Hmmm. I don't know many ladies who love reggae like you do. That's great to know. So do you spin your head around, twisting and turning your body and stumping your feet on the ground in rhythmic flow, like most reggae musicians do?

I like the reggae sound and I appreciate it's musical allure, but I won't say I am a fan. I think of all the genre of music I have listened to, reggae is my least favorite. I believe it has a lot to do with my personality and self.

I won't say I am more moved by my imagination than I am with visual depictions, cause my sense of sight and relaying of visual images to my brain, forms an integral part of my emotional psychology, but there are some scenes in books that can not be reflected perfectly through motion picture, and that's when the power of my imagination comes to play. And books offer a fertile foundation for my imagination to flourish and this intensifies and extends the length to which I feel emotion.

Yep, Americanah was deeply intriguing. I enjoyed every bit of it. And it was also well edited too.

I don't quite agree with you. 15 years can be enough to stop loving someone but it's never enough to forget that person.
Love like every other emotion has the propensity to fade away if it's not nurtured, yes, but this fading away process is a slow one and the feelings never stray far away. They are always close by. And when those feelings are triggered, either by strong memories, as it was in Ifemelu's case, then those feelings will linger. People love and experience love differently. It's just like the after effect of abuse. Some people get over it easily, while some don't. Some don't even get over it till they die.

Yep. I also love reading anything and everything, because I have a constant hunger for knowledge, but I easily get bored when I start reading a book with a totally similar concept to one I had already read. And I begin to say to myself: Instead of reading this stuff that you have already read something similar too, there are a thousand and one other books with their very own unique concept and ideas that you can gain knowledge from, so why waste time reading this one. It's not like you are going to live forever. grin

I get you. I am kind of a slow reader. Not slow in the sense that I can't grasp the wordings of the book quickly, but slow in the sense that when I read a particular captivating line or sentence from a book, I do this awkward thing where I get up and begin to pace around my room, burying my myself in those words as I walk. I am someone who thinks on his feet. I am more in tune with my thoughts when my feet are moving. Although this my awkward ritual helps me to better see into the mind of the author, gain a deeper understanding of the book and develop new ideas for myself, it's also a form of distraction, hence my being a slow reader.

Yea you are absolutely right. They were just playing safe. Even with the little they showed, it still gave life to some buried hatred and intensified a few suppressed ones. It didn't help their sales though, but it was for the good of one Nigeria.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Sleekyshuga(f): 7:34pm On May 15, 2016
Hahahahaha @ spinning my head around, twisting and turning my body, and stumping my feet on the ground in rhythmic flow.. I don't take marijuana na grin grin.. So why should I do their acrobatic display? They sing in another realm cheesy, though once in a while, I throw my head backwards (imaginary dreadlocks), and stamp my feet but I do the hand gesture more, with a facial expression I can't explain cheesy..

Decker, lemme oo cheesy..

True @ Americanah..

The 'forget' I meant was still holding on to what they had (love), and not their sweet memories.. Of course, memories linger especially, if it ended on sweet notes.. Even traumatic relationships once had their good sides..

Memories don't just die cheesy..

Ifemelu knew Obinze was married, and yet, she wanted more when she returned.. I really don't know what to call that, trust me cheesy.. She was the one who did shut him off without any explanation, only for her to come back and start acting lovey dovey undecided..

Yeah! The little they showed still instigated hate, reasons I didn't bother going to the cinema to see it cheesy, make person no go blow my eye outta vex..
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 15, 2016
Sleekyshuga:
Hahahahaha @ spinning my head around, twisting and turning my body, and stumping my feet on the ground in rhythmic flow.. I don't take marijuana na grin grin.. So why should I do their acrobatic display? They sing in another realm cheesy, though once in a while, I throw my head backwards (imaginary dreadlocks), and stamp my feet but I do the hand gesture more, with a facial expression I can't explain cheesy..

Decker, lemme oo cheesy..

True @ Americanah..

The 'forget' I meant was still holding on to what they had (love), and not their sweet memories.. Of course, memories linger especially, if it ended on sweet notes.. Even traumatic relationships once had their good sides..

Memories don't just die cheesy..

Ifemelu knew Obinze was married, and yet, she wanted more when she returned.. I really don't know what to call that, trust me cheesy.. She was the one who did shut him off without any explanation, only for her to come back and start acting lovey dovey undecided..

Yeah! The little they showed still instigated hate, reasons I didn't bother going to the cinema to see it cheesy, make person no go blow my eye outta vex..

It's cause you said I wouldn't want to be around you if you were in your reggae groove, so I thought, maybe, it's cause you do acrobatic reggae display when you listen to reggae music.

You don't need to explain. I get you, trust me. grin

Yep, memories never die. They just don't. Well, except you suffer a heavy blow to the head. grin

I think I have an explanation for that. You women are crazy and confused. No offense. tongue

I think you would have been the one giving someone a red eye, had it been you had gone to the cinema to watch the movie. Most of the violence in the movie was projected towards easterners. The one that kind of aroused a bit of resentment in me was the scene at the airport where Igbos were being slaughtered like chickens.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Sleekyshuga(f): 10:59pm On May 15, 2016
Decker:

I think I have an explanation for that. You women are crazy and confused. No offense. tongue

I think you would have been the one giving someone a red eye, had it been you had gone to the cinema to watch the movie. Most of the violence in the movie was projected towards easterners. The one that kind of aroused a bit of resentment in me was the scene at the airport where Igbos were being slaughtered like chickens.
Start explaining @ crazy and confused angry angry..

Hahahahaha @ bolden.. Nah, I wouldn't do that.. I had this fear that a fight may start up in the cinema (especially from the Easterners), and I wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of the fracas.. So best bet was to stay away..

Indeed @ the slaughtering like chickens especially that Nnaemeka boy whose high dreams were cut short.. **dabs eyes**

War no be better thing oo..

My bed calls.. Well, I knew a part of you I didn't know today cheesy.. I had this picture painted of you as one 'bros' grin.

Goodnight dear..
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 11:23am On May 16, 2016
@sleekyshuga

Hi, I downloaded some of the songs on the link you gave me and most of them were great. Among the ones listed on the web page, my taste leaned more towards the works of Duke Ellington and Charlie parker. I think I am more into jazz with an infusion of high octane big band. The more fast paced, kind with more dissonance and lots of electrical instruments I also discovered new composers like Buddy rich, who is an excellent drummer, hank levy, and bands like Gordon Godwin big phat band which plays exactly that kind of jazz. All in all, it was a great musical adventure, which took lots of my sleep time, but it well worth it. Now I can start piling up my jazz library.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by PastorAIO: 1:24pm On Jun 01, 2016
There is one Jazz Album that has brought more people to jazz than any other album in the whole genre. The inimitable eternal classic Kind Of Blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32gWo9CfoxA

From the opening strains of the nonchalant So What? to the very end of the album. If you don't feel it then jazz probably just isn't for you.

I would be very wicked if I have this opportunity to share and I don't include Coltrane's first post-Miles album My Favourite Things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHVarQbNAwU

As a kid this music used to take me out of the physical sphere and up into some celestial dimensions, I can't explain the feeling.

And then there's Ah-um, the classic album by Charlie Mingus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOHlYNR13D4

Ah mean… Who names an album after the sound of clearing your throat. As if to say 'ah -um, excuse me, but I have something important to say hear, listen up!'.

The Lonely Woman, Ornette Coleman. One of the craziest most beautiful melodies ever, so eerie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNbD1JIH344

When Ornette Coleman came backstage once when Fela was on tour, nobody paid him no mind at first. Fela was sitting down then the intruduction was made. As soon as Fela heard the name, 'this is Ornette Coleman' the way Fela leapt up out of his seat and immediately deferred to the man, everybody realised that they were in the presence of greatness.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Isholaoni: 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2016
¤ Caller tune, Radio/Tv promotion, Alaba mixtape/selection and Online promotion such as itunes,amazon,cloud 9,naijaloaded,notjustok and other blog sites

¤ Video editing, Video shooting/Coverage

¤ Training on music production

¤ Training on any musical instrument of your choice

¤Voice Training

¤ Graphics/Art Cover

¤ Website/Blog Creation

¤ Logo Designs

¤ Creation of artist page/business page,and all other entertainment services at very cheap and affordable prices you can't resist...We are here to render to you the best of quality service. All services are cheap and affordable. Try us and you'll be glad you did...powered by #Ebenemedia
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by PastorAIO: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2016
Mingus album is muted. But try this from off the album. It's called Moanin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by PastorAIO: 1:46pm On Jun 01, 2016
I know you don't want vocals but I nor dey hear word. Compare these two versions of this tune. Original by Charlie Mingus is instrumental, but later Joni Mitchell wrote lyrics to the notes and sang it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sfe_8RAaJ0

The tune was written as a goodbye to Lester Young, one of the most innovative sax players in the history of jazz. He always wore a pork pie hat and soon that hat came to be identified with jazz musicians.

Joni Mitchell took the melody after Charles Mingus died and wrote lyrics to it making reference both to the lives of Lester Young and Charles Mingus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9QfYIaoTQ

When Charlie speaks of Lester
You know someone great has gone
The sweetest swinging music man
Had a Porkie Pig hat on
A bright star in the dark age
When the bandstands had a thousand ways
Of refusing a black man admission, black musician
In those days they put him in an underdog position

Cellars and chittlins'
When Lester took him a wife
Arm and arm went black and white and some saw red
And drove them from their hotel bed
Love is never easy
It's short of the hope we have for happiness
Bright and sweet love is never easy street

Now we are black and white
Embracing out in the lunatic New York night
It's very unlikely we'll be driven out of town
Or be hung in a tree that's unlikely

Tonight these crowds are happy and loud
Children are up dancing into the streets
In the sticky middle of the night
Summer serenade of taxi horns and fun arcades
Where right or wrong under neon every feeling goes on
For you and me the sidewalk is a history book

And a circus dangerous clowns
Balancing dreadful and wonderful perceptions
They have been handed day by day
Generations on down

We came up from the subway on the music midnight mix
To Charlie's bass and Lester's saxophone in taxi horns and brakes
Now Charlie's down in Mexico with the healers
So the sidewalk leads us with music to two little dancers

Dancing outside a black bar
There's a sign up on the awning
It says, 'Pork Pie Hat Bar'
And there's black babies dancing tonight
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Isholaoni: 1:56pm On Jun 01, 2016
PROMO! PROMO!! PROMO!!

Ebenz Media

Presents

June Promo For All Upcoming Artiste

Let's help you record that hit song of yours for just #9000 and get benefits like free promotion on facebook and twitter,bbm and whatsapp broadcast,access to put your song in MTN Music Plus inorder to make cash from the downloads of your song at no cost.

Interested artistes should contact Ishola on 07032617747 or ping 2915230E for bookings.

NOTE

This bonanza ends by tomorrow 30th of June,2016.

You can also contact us on 07032617747 or ping 2915230E for;

¤ Song Writing

¤ Advert Placements on all platforms

¤ Mixing and mastering

¤ Creation of beat or instrumental

¤Voice over

¤DJ Jingles

¤ Caller tune, Radio/Tv promotion, Alaba mixtape/selection and Online promotion such as itunes,amazon,cloud 9,naijaloaded,notjustok and other blog sites

¤ Video editing, Video shooting/Coverage

¤ Training on music production

¤ Training on any musical instrument of your choice

¤Voice Training

¤ Graphics/Art Cover

¤ Website/Blog Creation

¤ Logo Designs

¤ Creation of artist page/business page,and all other entertainment services at very cheap and affordable prices you can't resist...We are here to render to you the best of quality service. All services are cheap and affordable. Try us and you'll be glad you did...powered by ‪#‎Ebenzmedia
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by PastorAIO: 3:22pm On Jun 01, 2016
Decker:
@sleekyshuga

Hi, I downloaded some of the songs on the link you gave me and most of them were great. Among the ones listed on the web page, my taste leaned more towards the works of Duke Ellington and Charlie parker. I think I am more into jazz with an infusion of high octane big band. The more fast paced, kind with more dissonance and lots of electrical instruments I also discovered new composers like Buddy rich, who is an excellent drummer, hank levy, and bands like Gordon Godwin big phat band which plays exactly that kind of jazz. All in all, it was a great musical adventure, which took lots of my sleep time, but it well worth it. Now I can start piling up my jazz library.

I hear you mention Bird and big band in the same breath. Perhaps you ought to check out Charlie Parker with Strings. A masterful work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzvTNjsPMAQ
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 01, 2016
@PastorAIO I really appreciate all your amazing suggestions. I will listen to all of them tonight and I will give you a feedback.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jun 02, 2016
Okay, PastorAIO, I don't know who you are, but I must say, you are heaven sent. You just introduced me to some of the best sounds I have ever heard. Miles Davis is a musical genius. I listened to the whole album and it was awesome. My favorite was Flamenco sketches. I had to listen to it over and over again.

Charlie Mingus's Moaning was great. And funny enough, although I prefer non vocals, I must say I really love Jon Mitchell's rendition of Charlie Mingus's Good bye pork pie hat. He did justice to the splendid instrumental. Honestly, I prefer it to the original.

The lonely woman is such a great piece. Now I understand Fela's reaction when he realized he was in the presence of Ornett Coleman. Coleman is such an amazing composer. I am definitely going to check out more of his material.

1 Like

Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by BushDoctor123: 12:04am On Jun 03, 2016
Another interesting Jazz song is from Hank Crawford "Tico Rico" Album. The track "av just seen a face" is my favourite. (always on repeat) There are other nice track in the album anyway. That kind of jazz is called jazz funk. Other great jazz legends are Bob James, Eal Klugh, George Benson, Spyro Gyra.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by PastorAIO: 12:45pm On Jun 03, 2016
I'm glad that I can share something I love so much with another. Jazz music and the entire jazz tradition has been my passion since I was a teenager.

A good way to get an overview of what's been happening is to check out the Record Labels. Each Label had it's distinctive philosophy and attitude and as regards modern jazz there is no greater Label than Blue Note. Blue Note gave most modern jazz music there first break. Coltrane recorded his first album with them and so did Herbie Hancock, Lee Morgan and all of those great dudes. Blue Note created an atmosphere where the greatest creative minds could rub together and create great art. And not just music, but Visual art too. Their album covers are coveted by art lovers the world over.

Check out Lee Morgan's sidewinder courtesy of Blue Note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5jFPrx51Dc

They gave Trane his first recording deal, and though Trane went on to record many great albums with other record labels none of them were recorded as masterfully as Blue Note recorded his debut album, Blue Train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnM2iRwHLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b20SGyhLuSc

Let me stop there, because I could carry on forever. There were so many labels from that era fostering so many great talents. Enjoy!

Decker:
Okay, PastorAIO, I don't know who you are, but I must say, you are heaven sent. You just introduced me to some of the best sounds I have ever heard. Miles Davis is a musical genius. I listened to the whole album and it was awesome. My favorite was Flamenco sketches. I had to listen to it over and over again.

Charlie Mingus's Moaning was great. And funny enough, although I prefer non vocals, I must say I really love Jon Mitchell's rendition of Charlie Mingus's Good bye pork pie hat. He did justice to the splendid instrumental. Honestly, I prefer it to the original.

The lonely woman is such a great piece. Now I understand Fela's reaction when he realized he was in the presence of Ornett Coleman. Coleman is such an amazing composer. I am definitely going to check out more of his material.
Re: Jazz Lovers In The House, Please Suggest To Me Nice Non Vocal Jazz Songs. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 03, 2016
PastorAIO:
I'm glad that I can share something I love so much with another. Jazz music and the entire jazz tradition has been my passion since I was a teenager.

A good way to get an overview of what's been happening is to check out the Record Labels. Each Label had it's distinctive philosophy and attitude and as regards modern jazz there is no greater Label than Blue Note. Blue Note gave most modern jazz music there first break. Coltrane recorded his first album with them and so did Herbie Hancock, Lee Morgan and all of those great dudes. Blue Note created an atmosphere where the greatest creative minds could rub together and create great art. And not just music, but Visual art too. Their album covers are coveted by art lovers the world over.

Check out Lee Morgan's sidewinder courtesy of Blue Note.

They gave Trane his first recording deal, and though Trane went on to record many great albums with other record labels none of them were recorded as masterfully as Blue Note recorded his debut album, Blue Train.

Let me stop there, because I could carry on forever. There were so many labels from that era fostering so many great talents. Enjoy!

Hmmm. I will listen to all of them. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Lyrics: P-square – Nobody Ugly [play And Sing Along] / Maroon 5 - Memories Lyrics Video / Video: Lynxxx On The Juice [download]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.