Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,392 members, 7,850,396 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:27 PM

Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time (937 Views)

Micho To Take Over As Nigeria's Coach / Sunday Oliseh To Emerge As Nigeria's New Coach - BBC Sport / Usain Bolt Beaten By Justin Gatlin In 100m Race In Rome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by akintun: 12:12am On Aug 17, 2009
The way usain bolt is running and breaking records, he may end up been the greatest sprinter of all time. He will need to win another 100 meters gold at the olympic for him to have a legitimate claim to that title. 9.58 is incredible and i believe he can run faster. The race was a great race.

Nigeria althetes have continued their tradition of messing up at the individual sprints. The three men and two women crashed out in the 100 meters quaterfinals and Grace okagbare(Nigeria hope of running in the finals) decided not to show up for her race. The 400 meters was no different as Abugan and the other girl crashed out in the quaterfinals but Abugan looks a great prospect for the future.

Nigeria hope of winning an individual medal lies with Okagbare in the long jump(would be very difficult) and Tosin Dosumu in female 400 meters hurdle.
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by MrCrackles(m): 12:16am On Aug 17, 2009
I am not surprised as per Nigerian athletes. . . .
If we cant nurture raw talent and provide the necessary welfare, then Nigerian athletes will continue to perform dismally
The Nigerian Athletics Federation is inept anyway so dont expect much. . .
It stinks!
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by akintun: 12:22am On Aug 17, 2009
the problem with Nigeria atheletes is lack of good training facility and training grant. Tosin Dosumu went to the united states not long ago and look at the times she is running in such a short time. Grace okagbare was in the united states for barely a year b4 winning an unexpected bronze at the last olympics.
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by BlackRevo: 12:24am On Aug 17, 2009
MrCrackles:

If we can nurture raw talent and provide the necessary welfare, then Nigerian athletes will continue to perform dismally
It stinks!

True talk and can't you see the various Nigerians representing other countries in this same events. they are performing very well. In the 4000 meters race two Nigerians came first and second but they were running for the USA and UK respectively.
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by MrCrackles(m): 12:25am On Aug 17, 2009
akintun:

the problem with Nigeria atheletes is lack of good training facility and training grant. Tosin Dosumu went to the united states not long ago and look at the times she is running in such a short time. Grace okagbare was in the united states for barely a year b4 winning an unexpected bronze at the last olympics.

You are right. . .I forgot to add training facilities and training grants
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by MrCrackles(m): 12:33am On Aug 17, 2009
Black_Revo:

True talk and can't you see the various Nigerians representing other countries in this same events. they are performing very well. In the 4000 meters race two Nigerians came first and second but they were running for the USA and UK respectively.

Even athletes that have represented Nigeria previously are all switching en-masse. . . .
Gloria Alozie and Francis Obikwelu amongst many others. . .
You need to see the number of African Kids, especially Nigerians getting nice incentives from the UK Athletics board (UKA) for excelling in athletics
The ones that dont even have permanent residency were getting fastracked. . . .
It is frustrating for athletes to continue representing thier countries if they are not taken care off
We need to get it right in Nigeria if we are to see some improvements on the athletics side of things
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by akintun: 1:00am On Aug 17, 2009
i believe the present crop of Nigeria althetes have the potential to perform at the highest level if exposed to facilities outside the country. This would build up their self confident. At the last national championship, there were some good times returned by young altheles.
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by chic2pimp(m): 2:04am On Aug 17, 2009
akintun:

The way usain bolt is running and breaking records, he may end up been the greatest sprinter of all time. He will need to win another 100 meters gold at the olympic for him to have a legitimate claim to that title. 9.58 is incredible and i believe he can run faster. The race was a great race.

he is already the greatest in my opinion
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by chic2pimp(m): 2:05am On Aug 17, 2009
akintun:

i believe the present crop of Nigeria althetes have the potential to perform at the highest level if exposed to facilities outside the country. This would build up their self confident. At the last national championship, there were some good times returned by young altheles.
thats the key word here. POTENTIAL.Until it is realised we will continue to flop i'm sorry to say.
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by chic2pimp(m): 2:08am On Aug 17, 2009
MrCrackles:

If we cant nurture raw talent and provide the necessary welfare, then Nigerian athletes will continue to perform dismally
It stinks!

akintun:

two excellent written back to back wink wink cool cool cool.
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by dtwsola(m): 2:34am On Aug 17, 2009
Black_Revo:

Are you sure about this? I'm guessing you mean 400m. In the 400m heats, Christine Ohuruogu (GBR) came in second in heats but the girl was born and bred in London, so Nigerians can't really be claiming her. Sanya Richards is of Jamaican parentage, and she came in 1st in 400m heats for U.S., but I didn't see any of recent Nigerian descent running for the U.S.
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by chic2pimp(m): 2:34am On Aug 17, 2009
Black_Revo:

They are mostly not nigerians per se. The only connection if any they have with naija is through their parents. These athletes were born and bred in the u.k or u.s . There is a german athletes of nigerian parentage competiting in the 400M i think. However some countries like yemen,bahrain and some european countries do have naturalized nigerian competing for them.
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by chic2pimp(m): 2:38am On Aug 17, 2009
dtw_sola:

Are you sure about this? I'm guessing you mean 400m. In the 400m heats, Christine Ohuruogu (GBR) came in second in heats but the girl was born and bred in London, so Nigerians can't really be claiming her. Sanya Richards is of Jamaican parentage, and she came in 1st in 400m heats for U.S., but I didn't see any of recent Nigerian descent running for the U.S.
there is an athlete in the field events with nigerian parents. I think her name is funmi jimoh. Not sure though
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by yommyuk: 6:35am On Aug 17, 2009
Usain Bolt - Magnificent
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by FBS: 6:42am On Aug 17, 2009
To take another 11 hundredths of a second off that defies logic, history and everyone else's biology
TOM FORDYCE BLOG
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8204381.stm
Re: Usain Bolt Destroys Field In 9.58 As Nigeria Athletes Flop Big Time by sley4life(m): 9:46am On Aug 17, 2009
Our country is a failed nation. The FG are not supporting our athlethe. Its time we scrap sports. We know our athlethe wont win any medal why spend on visa, air ticket and others when we know they wont perform

(1) (Reply)

A Former Nigerian Youth International, Nduka Anyanwu Has Died At The Age Of 30 / South Africans Calling The African Cup Of Nations Chicken Tournament / Ghana: Drama As Goalkeeper Leaves Pitch To Visit The Loo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.