Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,246 members, 7,822,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Dangers Of Installing Free Software - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Dangers Of Installing Free Software (959 Views)

Free Software Cleaned My Macbook And Improve Speed!!! / Free Software Download Or Crack / Common Issues After Installing Windows 10 And Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangers Of Installing Free Software by win10(m): 7:36am On May 16, 2016
Who in the world doesn't want freebie? we all want free stuffs. BUt when it comes to free software, you might want to slow down a little. Not all free softwares are safe to install both on your mobile devices and your computers. Installing a free software that you don't know the publishers background or identity is like giving out your personal adroid/computer to a fraudster(cyber crime).

looking at a real life scenario imagine you were a programmer or a software developer and after days of sleepless night, you finally create or coded a software/app that can do something nice. Now the big question is "would you happily uplaod that software/app in a website just so anybody who comes accross it could download it for free without you getting anything in return for your hardwork?"

Of course not and even if you do that, it means you have an hidden agenda. Without further talk, let's look the possible dangers of installing free softwares.

NOTE:although there are companies who offer free software in-form of "trial version" and in other various ways. If you come accross a company like this, make sure to do a little research about them before installing their free software.

to read more please visit http://techeda.com/lifestyle/dangers-of-installing-free-software.html
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by Lexusgs430: 7:38am On May 16, 2016
Windows 10 is free
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by lomprico(m): 7:44am On May 16, 2016
What r d hidden agenda na? The give out free version for u to try n see d benefits and make PURCHASE of the full version. In essence free versions is like part of d advertisement or marketing.
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by win10(m): 3:26am On May 17, 2016
Lexusgs430:
Windows 10 is free

yes it's free, but like i said if you come across a free software, make sure to do a little research about the publishers background or identity. And well all know that windows belong to microsoft cooperation and microsoft is a trusted organization.
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by win10(m): 3:44am On May 17, 2016
lomprico:
What r d hidden agenda na? The give out free version for u to try n see d benefits and make PURCHASE of the full version. In essence free versions is like part of d advertisement or marketing.

i understand your point, but i don't think there's anything like free version it's only trial version. My point here is that you should be suspicious of the publishers that give you their software for free. Without you doing anything in-return for them. But at-least google about them before you install
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by Lexusgs430: 4:25am On May 17, 2016
win10:

i understand your point, but i don't think there's anything like free version it's only trial version. My point here is that you should be suspicious of the publishers that give you their software for free. Without you doing anything in-return for them. But at-least google about them before you install

www.piriform.com
Offers us free versions of their software's. We then use code to get premium version.
Any risk attached to this?
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by BetaTechnicians: 6:14am On May 17, 2016
VLC Player is free cheesy
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by Lexusgs430: 8:50am On May 17, 2016
MusicBee too is free
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by lomprico(m): 12:53pm On May 17, 2016
win10:

We r still saying the same thing, free version is same as trial version, both have a duration time of mostly 30days.
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by win10(m): 11:29pm On May 17, 2016
Lexusgs430:

www.piriform.com
Offers us free versions of their software's. We then use code to get premium version.
Any risk attached to this?

This really depends on the publishers identity and reputation. if you know the publishers of this software and you trust them, and the people who already installed it did not make any bad/negative comments about it, then it should be safe.
Re: Dangers Of Installing Free Software by win10(m): 11:51pm On May 17, 2016
lomprico:

We r still saying the same thing, free version is same as trial version, both have a duration time of mostly 30days.

The main thing here is not whether it's a free version, or a trial version, or a pro version. What we should be concerned about here is the publishers identity/background or reputation

Have you ever tried installing a driver software and you come across a message like this windows can't verify the publishers of this driver or this drivers is not digitally signed, do you want to continue installation? what windows is trying to tell you here is that "we as Microsoft cooperation/windows don't know any thing about the publishers of this driver's identity and background and we will not be liable or responsible or blamed for anything that happens to your computer as a result of the installation of this drivers".

(1) (Reply)

Canon All-in-one Wireless Printer At Micostarmall / Acer Unveils World’s First Curved-screen Laptop ‘predator 21x ‘ / Hp Mini Laptop For Sale 25k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.