Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,344 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? (743 Views)

Should I Continue To Wait Or Date Another? / Should I Continue With The Relationship? (25+ Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by Nobleking2000(m): 3:41am On May 17, 2016
Good day fellow nairalanders.
I need your help, I have been living with my cousin for four years now and he has been the person sponsoring my education for the past three years which I have been able to complete my ordinary national diploma (OND) but the situation now is that I am left with a very important decision to make which is that I will be returning to complete my education which he is also willing to sponsor but the situation is that .
He needs a servant(apprentice) that will be helping him out in his shop which the usual agreement is that after six years the person will be settled (that is a certain amount of money to go and start up his own business) which means the guy is now a master(Oga) of his own with no interference or what so ever from his master.
The situation on ground is now that judging from the recent of situation in Nigeria of after graduating the person will be left with no job coupled with the fact that if I decide to go back to school(university) through direct entry it will take me approximately four years to graduate with NYSC or polytechnic it will also take me up to the same number of years to be through with my education and you are not even sure of getting a well paying job two years after graduating.

So I am seeking for your advice so that I will make an informed decision.
1) Should I continue with my education or
2). Should I abandon my education and serve my cousin for six years then when I must have been fully settled and started my own business after like three years I will return to school to finish my education.

NB: I will be 22 years by December.

Mods please move this to front page thanks.
Re: Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by AngelAhnie(f): 4:09am On May 17, 2016
Education can't be overlooked but I'll advice you go serve your cousin and later complete your education.
Re: Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by Osgilliat(m): 4:13am On May 17, 2016
Don't lose this opportunity. The job is not there after graduating that's the bitter truth. Serve your cousin for six years and you won't regret it, there is a high probability your own business will grow faster with the knowledge you've acquired in school.
Re: Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by Nobody: 4:36am On May 17, 2016
Okay Kwantinue

Apprenticeship is beta than HND or BSC today.
Re: Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by menstrualpad: 5:04am On May 17, 2016
Go and serve. But don't give birth till you complete your education.

1 Like

Re: Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by dahmie2013: 5:18am On May 17, 2016
Op, sincerely u don't have a choice in this matter, u have 2 serve. However, he might not want u 2, but if he insists dat u go 2 skool den u will. But if u serve, make sure u get ur priorities right. Like sumone mentned, don't get a lady pregnant & carry anoda burden on ur neck. Also, wen u become an Oga, remember 2 @ least try & complete ur educatn.
Re: Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by PresVA: 8:42am On May 17, 2016
I will say you take the apprenticeship... but to succeed, you really have to be humble and focused; don't feel nonchalant towards his business because he's your cousin. . You really have to be up and doing. .. Nobody jokes with his business. .

If you do well in business, you'll end up employing graduates sef...

Also, you can enrol for a part time study now or complete your education later...
Re: Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by Acidosis(m): 11:13am On May 17, 2016
Have you considered the possibility of not getting the reward (settlement) after 6 years of labour? What's the reward like after 6 years? N1m?

Aside the monetary reward after 6 years, what do people learn in 6 years in these shops? I mean, any gifted and business-minded person can do trade. 6 years is not a guarantee that you won't squander the settlement, or lose the money to fraudsters.

If I were you:

I would leverage on the fact that my cousin is willing to pay my fee for 3 years (HND). While studying for your HND programme, go and learn a skill. Get a skill that aligns with your course of study, and that can fetch you some money in school, and post-study programme.

I may be wrong, but I don't see the reason you should serve your cousin for 6 years. What is it you're learning for 6 years? Medicine and Surgery?

1 Like

Re: Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by Nobleking2000(m): 9:42pm On May 17, 2016
Acidosis:
Have you considered the possibility of not getting the reward (settlement) after 6 years of labour? What's the reward like after 6 years? N1m?

Aside the monetary reward after 6 years, what do people learn in 6 years in these shops? I mean, any gifted and business-minded person can do trade. 6 years is not a guarantee that you won't squander the settlement, or lose the money to fraudsters.

If I were you:

I would leverage on the fact that my cousin is willing to pay my fee for 3 years (HND). While studying for your HND programme, go and learn a skill. Get a skill that aligns with your course of study, and that can fetch you some money in school, and post-study programme.

I may be wrong, but I don't see the reason you should serve your cousin for 6 years. What is it you're learning for 6 years? Medicine and Surgery?

The benefits cannot be over emphasized because you have the opportunity of meeting his major suppliers of the goods who will be willing to supply you with the goods of any amount for you to pay back when you are done selling them based on your personal relationship with your OGA who will serve as a shortee for you.

You stand the benefit of him sponsoring for your visa for you to go abroad (China) and buy goods for him which he has done for his first two servants which roughly cost about four hundred thousand naira (400,000) for first timers
Re: Should I Abandon My Education Or Continue With It? by Acidosis(m): 10:32pm On May 17, 2016
Nobleking2000:

The benefits cannot be over emphasized because you have the opportunity of meeting his major suppliers of the goods who will be willing to supply you with the goods of any amount for you to pay back when you are done selling them based on your personal relationship with your OGA who will serve as a shortee for you.

You stand the benefit of him sponsoring for your visa for you to go abroad (China) and buy goods for him which he has done for his first two servants which roughly cost about four hundred thousand naira (400,000) for first timers

Okay bro... I think you should accept the offer. You have your OND already.

(1) (Reply)

Man Gets Married To His Smartphone Inside Church After Series Of Heartbreak (pho / Photo: 29 Year Old Nigerian Man Marries 69 Year Old European Grandma / Professor Nkechi Agwu From Borough Of Manhattan Community College (bmcc) Usa Enc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.