Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

Question On Website Stats - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Question On Website Stats (1319 Views)

7 Tips On How To Reduce Bounce Rate On Website / How Is Paystack & Interswitch Gateway Implemented On Website Or Mobile App??? / Ask Any Question On Blogging, SEO, Web & Social Media - OnlineMercenaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 8:08am On May 18, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am super confused right now, so I need you if you do know the answer to explain some things to me

I use the plugin SlimStat for my website analytics.
For the month of May till this minute as I am writing, it says that my website has 1400 pages views, 760 visits

I went to back up my website, so that I can update wordpress, so nosed about at the stats there
Analog stats says:
#reqs 116000 #pages 26000

Webalizer says:
16000 visits, 29000 pages

AWStats says:
3300 unique visitors, 13000 number of visits, 52000 pages, 100000 hits

They are all so freaking different. Who understands them? Why are they so different even though it is for the same website? Which gives the most reliable data? Should I be monitoring them?

Thanks in advance for reading and explaining
Re: Question On Website Stats by yomalex(m): 12:56pm On May 18, 2016
They are different because they use different tools for measurement.
You need to use Google Analytics reliable and widely accepted.
Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 12:59pm On May 18, 2016
OK thanks
Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 18, 2016
I agree with yomalex.

Different programs/software will use different algorithms, and will not only track/measure different things, they quantify the data differently as well. What one might consider a page view, another may not. Which is why I think it's a good idea to use more than one analytics tracker, but no more than 3. I use 2.

I use Google Analytics and Mixpanel for my analytics needs. Google Analytics allows me monitor and record traffic volumes and behavior, while Mixpanel allows me to identify and track individual users when they register for accounts. This allows me to create an user experience more suitable to that individual. Kind of in the same way Amazon presents different product offers to you based on your preferences and browsing history.

1 Like

Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 5:14pm On May 18, 2016
radragan:
I agree with yomalex.

Different programs/software will use different algorithms, and will not only track/measure different things, they quantify the data differently as well. What one might consider a page view, another may not. Which is why I think it's a good idea to use more than one analytics tracker, but no more than 3. I use 2.

I use Google Analytics and Mixpanel for my analytics needs. Google Analytics allows me monitor and record traffic volumes and behavior, while Mixpanel allows me to identify and track individual users when they register for accounts. This allows me to create an user experience more suitable to that individual. Kind of in the same way Amazon presents different product offers to you based on your preferences and browsing history.

Thanks for your detailed reply. So it seems the general consensus is to go with Google Analytics and forget the others.

Is there a plugin by Google for GA? I am not technical so not sure how to install codes and I don't want to contact the original designer. No budget for it. For my adsense, there's a plugin by Google and all I had to do was download and activate and within minutes ads were running.

Out of interest, how many registered users do you have for your website? What motivated people to register? When you track user behaviour, how do you create ideal user experience?

PS: I am in the process of setting up an online speed networking event that is author-centric. Is that something you would be interested in?
Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 18, 2016
SegilolaSalami:

Thanks for your detailed reply. So it seems the general consensus is to go with Google Analytics and forget the others.

Is there a plugin by Google for GA? I am not technical so not sure how to install codes and I don't want to contact the original designer. No budget for it. For my adsense, there's a plugin by Google and all I had to do was download and activate and within minutes ads were running.

Out of interest, how many registered users do you have for your website? What motivated people to register? When you track user behaviour, how do you create ideal user experience?

PS: I am in the process of setting up an online speed networking event that is author-centric. Is that something you would be interested in?

I'm not sure if there are plugins by Google to add GA to your site, however, if there are, I personally don't have any experience with any of them. I try to use as few plugins as possible because they eat up resources and can negatively impact your page load times.

I always insert my tracking code directly into the theme's header core files itself. This way it not displays on every page, but you also don't have to install extra plugins to manage this simple function.

If you do want to use a plugin, I recommend using SumoMe. They have a free tool for Google analytics that will allow you to connect your site to GA without any coding. You just have to set your preferences so that the plugin will insert the tracking code for you if you have not done it yourself.

As of right now, I only have about 312 registered users. Which isn't a lot by any measure, but these are subscribers from the first iteration of the N&FT website. So I'm testing things to see how they respond before re-opening registration or adding a member's only section to the site. In the beginning, the motivation was purely to show them how to market and sell ebooks, so people signed up for the courses and trainings I offered.

Now, since the site focuses more on writing a story, specifically my own story, than it does marketing and selling, I'm worried I will lose much of my exisiting user base, and will have to start anew. Which is fine, I would just prefer not to. smiley

As I track behavior, I use a combination of heatmaps, analytical data to monitor their page views, what they read, how long they read, and where they click on the site. (SumoMe also has a heatmap built into their plugin as well.) I then use that data to have my team write scripts so that when a certain user logs into the site, more of the content they interact with is presented to them immediately on the landing page that loads after signing in.

It's a lengthy, and sometimes expensive process, but if it encourages more engagement and conversions, then it's an investment well made in my opinion.

And by online speed networking event, what do you mean? I'm open to events of any kind, but I don't have much time to spare at the moment on account of my recent push to redesign and relaunch my websites. But if it's something I can manage, and peaks my interest, I'm in. smiley

1 Like

Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 6:59pm On May 18, 2016
radragan:

I'm not sure if there are plugins by Google to add GA to your site, however, if there are, I personally don't have any experience with any of them. I try to use as few plugins as possible because they eat up resources and can negatively impact your page load times.

I always insert my tracking code directly into the theme's header core files itself. This way it not displays on every page, but you also don't have to install extra plugins to manage this simple function.

If you do want to use a plugin, I recommend using SumoMe. They have a free tool for Google analytics that will allow you to connect your site to GA without any coding. You just have to set your preferences so that the plugin will insert the tracking code for you if you have not done it yourself.

As of right now, I only have about 312 registered users. Which isn't a lot by any measure, but these are subscribers from the first iteration of the N&FT website. So I'm testing things to see how they respond before re-opening registration or adding a member's only section to the site. In the beginning, the motivation was purely to show them how to market and sell ebooks, so people signed up for the courses and trainings I offered.

Now, since the site focuses more on writing a story, specifically my own story, than it does marketing and selling, I'm worried I will lose much of my exisiting user base, and will have to start anew. Which is fine, I would just prefer not to. smiley

As I track behavior, I use a combination of heatmaps, analytical data to monitor their page views, what they read, how long they read, and where they click on the site. (SumoMe also has a heatmap built into their plugin as well.) I then use that data to have my team write scripts so that when a certain user logs into the site, more of the content they interact with is presented to them immediately on the landing page that loads after signing in.

It's a lengthy, and sometimes expensive process, but if it encourages more engagement and conversions, then it's an investment well made in my opinion.

And by online speed networking event, what do you mean? I'm open to events of any kind, but I don't have much time to spare at the moment on account of my recent push to redesign and relaunch my websites. But if it's something I can manage, and peaks my interest, I'm in. smiley

woahhhhhh trailer jam someone

it's aiight, I kinda understand what you are saying. Dec 2015, not a single word of it would have made sense to me

Ok I have sumome, will look into integrating GA. Just to clarify though, I will need to register with GA separately first, then copy and paste the code into sumome right?

Drop me a line via my website, I will explain the event a bit more via email. I just need time to start putting it all together but time is a scarce commodity.

Thanks for your comments though

PS: Did you get a chance to read my book? what did you think of it?
Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 18, 2016
SegilolaSalami:

woahhhhhh trailer jam someone

it's aiight, I kinda understand what you are saying. Dec 2015, not a single word of it would have made sense to me

Ok I have sumome, will look into integrating GA. Just to clarify though, I will need to register with GA separately first, then copy and paste the code into sumome right?

Drop me a line via my website, I will explain the event a bit more via email. I just need time to start putting it all together but time is a scarce commodity.

Thanks for your comments though

PS: Did you get a chance to read my book? what did you think of it?

What do you mean by "trailer jam someone"? I'm not familiar with the expression.

As for SumoMe, yes you will need to set up Google Analaytics first, but after, just go into the SumoStore fron your website, and select the GA feature. It's free. When you install and open it, you will need to link it to your GA account. You will then need to check the small white box near the top of the SumoMe screen that says to check if you do not have GA tracking code installed on your site. This will allow SumoMe to instal GA on your site without the use of hard coding or additional plugins.

And yes I did get a chance to read the book. I thought it was interesting in that it's being narrated from a child's POV, but at the same time offering so much insight, wisdom and emotion. It made me recall (or try to recall) my own thoughts and feelings about my mother growing up. There's a story there, but also lessons in ethics and cultural significance/similarities. Comparing Katara and water-bending to the worshipers of Yemoja was a nice touch. smiley

Are all of the Yetunde stories connected through a single story arc, or do they all feature different tales around the same character?

1 Like

Re: Question On Website Stats by VocalWalls: 8:18pm On May 18, 2016
SegilolaSalami:
OK thanks

Advice: use the jetpack plugin.
It does more than just stats.
Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 8:22pm On May 18, 2016
VocalWalls:

Advice: use the jetpack plugin.
It does more than just stats.

like what? is it better than sumome?
Re: Question On Website Stats by VocalWalls: 8:27pm On May 18, 2016
SegilolaSalami:

like what? is it better than sumome?
Check it out.
Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 8:28pm On May 18, 2016
radragan:

What do you mean by "trailer jam someone"? I'm not familiar with the expression.

As for SumoMe, yes you will need to set up Google Analaytics first, but after, just go into the SumoStore fron your website, and select the GA feature. It's free. When you install and open it, you will need to link it to your GA account. You will then need to check the small white box near the top of the SumoMe screen that says to check if you do not have GA tracking code installed on your site. This will allow SumoMe to instal GA on your site without the use of hard coding or additional plugins.

And yes I did get a chance to read the book. I thought it was interesting in that it's being narrated from a child's POV, but at the same time offering so much insight, wisdom and emotion. It made me recall (or try to recall) my own thoughts and feelings about my mother growing up. There's a story there, but also lessons in ethics and cultural significance/similarities. Comparing Katara and water-bending to the worshipers of Yemoja was a nice touch. smiley

Are all of the Yetunde stories connected through a single story arc, or do they all feature different tales around the same character?

OK I will look into it, thank you for being so helpful

I'm glad you liked it . . . would you mind leaving me a review on Amazon and goodreads?

No the stories are not connected so far. Different stories from Yetunde and her mom. It's like reading a TV show or say reading harry potter grow
Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 18, 2016
SegilolaSalami:

OK I will look into it, thank you for being so helpful

I'm glad you liked it . . . would you mind leaving me a review on Amazon and goodreads?

No the stories are not connected so far. Different stories from Yetunde and her mom. It's like reading a TV show or say reading harry potter grow

I sure will. smiley

1 Like

Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 4:45am On May 19, 2016
radragan:

I sure will. smiley

thanks
Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 7:00am On May 21, 2016
Hiya,

Just wanted to say I have just signed up for GA and added the tracking code to sumome.

It was so simple I am asking myself why I even bothered with slimstat before. I think the thought of installing the tracking code really put me off.

Now I can do a comparison of both and see how accurate slimstat is.

Thanks again cheesy
Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 7:34am On May 21, 2016
SegilolaSalami:
Hiya,

Just wanted to say I have just signed up for GA and added the tracking code to sumome.

It was so simple I am asking myself why I even bothered with slimstat before. I think the thought of installing the tracking code really put me off.

Now I can do a comparison of both and see how accurate slimstat is.

Thanks again cheesy

Not a problem. Hope it makes tracking and managing your analytics a lot simpler. smiley

1 Like

Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 7:42am On May 21, 2016
radragan:

Not a problem. Hope it makes tracking and managing your analytics a lot simpler. smiley

sure cheesy I hope so too . . . still waiting for my review :p

ps join my blogging community here http://www.segilolasalami.co.uk/bloggers-wanted-new-blogging-community/
Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 21, 2016
SegilolaSalami:

sure cheesy I hope so too . . . still waiting for my review :p

ps join my blogging community here http://www.segilolasalami.co.uk/bloggers-wanted-new-blogging-community/

I sent the review. Just waiting for Amazon's approval. wink
Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 7:07pm On May 21, 2016
thank you . . . you are a super star cheesy

radragan:

I sent the review. Just waiting for Amazon's approval. wink
Re: Question On Website Stats by seoconsultant(m): 9:04pm On May 21, 2016
"while Mixpanel allows me to identify and track individual users"
Google help you with this, you can set up property that will define Goals and you track how your web visitors behave when they get to your site.
You have to set up or assign properties and elements using tag managers to measure and track engagement on your site. Google now provide details like interest of your web visitors so you get up and personal in profiling your web visitors.
By the way sites giving you HITS are simply telling you how many kb of your websites were downloaded and loaded in a browser, eg if you have a 1mb webpage am sure all the files, images, and external url are all loaded on to the browser, now each of them are called hits...so your page could have 100 hits when download a single page by a single visitor.
Catch the drift?
I wrote something old on Google analytics, How To Analyze Your Website Traffic don't know if you find some things useful on it, since Google itself has evolved.

radragan:
I agree with yomalex.

1 Like

Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 9:35pm On May 21, 2016
trailer jam pesin . . .

seoconsultant:
Google help you with this, you can set up property that will define Goals and you track how your web visitors behave when they get to your site.
You have to set up or assign properties and elements using tag managers to measure and track engagement on your site. Google now provide details like interest of your web visitors so you get up and personal in profiling your web visitors.
By the way sites giving you HITS are simply telling you how many kb of your websites were downloaded and loaded in a browser, eg if you have a 1mb webpage am sure all the files, images, and external url are all loaded on to the browser, now each of them are called hits...so your page could have 100 hits when download a single page by a single visitor.
Catch the drift?
I wrote something old on Google analytics, How To Analyze Your Website Traffic don't know if you find some things useful on it, since Google itself has evolved.

Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 25, 2016
seoconsultant:
Catch the drift?

Mixpanel provides more detailed insights than Google does because it associates a unique identifier to that user that I can use to track across multiple sites within my network. Google Analytics does not allow me to do that. It only tracks users as individuals as they use that site specifically. The same person could be viewing 5 of my sites, but with GA I won't be able to differentiate their actions/behavior as they move across sites.

Also, Google analytics does not permit the use of tracking via personally identifiable information. Which is why I use Mixpanel.

Other reasons I don't rely on Google Analytics are:
1.) It does not offer real time reporting. The stats you view in your dashboard are aggregated over a period of time. Probably the previous 24 hours. It's not an accurate representation of what's happening as you view your data. And even the "real time reports" it does offer, are very limited.

2.) It doesn't reprocess your information. Goals only track data from the time the goal is created and forward after that date. They do not include previous traffic and activity, even if it fits within the goal's parameters to record.

3.) It doesn't differentiate between users and devices. It tracks mainly using cookies. Which are tied to a device, not a specific user. So you can have data supporting the use of your site from 2 different devices and 2 different times, however, you have no way of knowing whether or not that was the same user. You think you're getting more views, when in reality, it's the same person, just using multiple devices.

I agree that Google Analytics is useful, however I think people should stop using it as their sole means of measuring analytical data because it is far from accurate.

I also believe people should consider heavily what their needs are and what it is they want to track, and find solutions that do just that. And sometimes, that means using more than one analytics software.

For many people Google Analytics is enough, but for me, it's not. I need a lot more data than Google provides its users. An effective tool, just not effective enough for me.

Also, please do not take this as a dismissal of your input. It's not. I just like to argue a different view point to provide future readers with as much information/opinion as possible. Also, I've taken a look at your site, and would like to discuss a potential collaboration in the future. I'm in the process of building a new site, and I think your services could greatly benefit future readers.

1 Like

Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 9:27pm On May 25, 2016
trailer jam pesin . . .

Ra dear, how does mixpanel track a person across devices?

radragan:

Mixpanel provides more detailed insights than Google does because it associates a unique identifier to that user that I can use to track across multiple sites within my network. Google Analytics does not allow me to do that. It only tracks users as individuals as they use that site specifically. The same person could be viewing 5 of my sites, but with GA I won't be able to differentiate their actions/behavior as they move across sites.

Also, Google analytics does not permit the use of tracking via personally identifiable information. Which is why I use Mixpanel.

Other reasons I don't rely on Google Analytics are:
1.) It does not offer real time reporting. The stats you view in your dashboard are aggregated over a period of time. Probably the previous 24 hours. It's not an accurate representation of what's happening as you view your data. And even the "real time reports" it does offer, are very limited.

2.) It doesn't reprocess your information. Goals only track data from the time the goal is created and forward after that date. They do not include previous traffic and activity, even if it fits within the goal's parameters to record.

3.) It doesn't differentiate between users and devices. It tracks mainly using cookies. Which are tied to a device, not a specific user. So you can have data supporting the use of your site from 2 different devices and 2 different times, however, you have no way of knowing whether or not that was the same user. You think you're getting more views, when in reality, it's the same person, just using multiple devices.

I agree that Google Analytics is useful, however I think people should stop using it as their sole means of measuring analytical data because it is far from accurate.

I also believe people should consider heavily what their needs are and what it is they want to track, and find solutions that do just that. And sometimes, that means using more than one analytics software.

For many people Google Analytics is enough, but for me, it's not. I need a lot more data than Google provides its users. An effective tool, just not effective enough for me.

Also, please do not take this as a dismissal of your input. It's not. I just like to argue a different view point to provide future readers with as much information/opinion as possible. Also, I've taken a look at your site, and would like to discuss a potential collaboration in the future. I'm in the process of building a new site, and I think your services could greatly benefit future readers.

Re: Question On Website Stats by seoconsultant(m): 3:25am On May 26, 2016
ra GA does have realtime tracking and track your visits across devices, it is funny you say this things.
another thing is this, their is a calculation for a visit on GA if a user spends more than 15sec then it is a visit registered under GA
if the same person goes to another page of the same url after 15seconds GA records it.
If you instantly visit another page using another url like subdomain GA will record a session (visit).
So individually they offer same, you create segments to track devices and like I said before GA now gives full insight to who your visitors are, even associate age and interest to the geo and location (not to forget language) details it normally gives.
By the way you can do more with Google tag manager on your site to provide a better flow chat and data, on event and goal to add to your property for each url associated to your GA. eg you know which button a user clicked next on your site, why they drop out, it even has an heatmap to show if your user scroll down your page which area of your page is most busy etc.
It is useful to segment your mobile traffic in GA same with tablet.
PAID VERSION OF GA is more insightful, am sure you are utilizing the free version, that is the one we all use, but big companies use paid version to get the best.
Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 8:47am On May 28, 2016
SegilolaSalami:
trailer jam pesin . . .

Ra dear, how does mixpanel track a person across devices?

To put it simply, I use the identifier associated with the user IDs assigned by mixpanel, and link them to the user's corresponding member ID on my website. This way, when a certain user logs into their members account, I can track them through Mixpanel using their member ID. I then use that same ID to notice any behavior through some of the other scripts and tracking codes I employ on my sites.

I monitor which devices they are using with the help of some custom scripts and snippets of code that I add to the Mixpanel tracking scripts on my site.

It sounds simple, but it's very tedious to setup. I've been working on a way to simplify it all to pass on to other users because I believe it will help them better understand and leverage their analytics data, by giving them a more definitive and real-time overview of how people interact with their sites.

It's just not going as easily as planned, but I'm confident I will figure it out eventually.

One of the tools I use to manage all of my scripts and data is a service called Segment (www.segment.com). It allows you to link multiple services to a single dashboard for convenience. If you navigate to their integrations page, https://segment.com/integrations, you can view a list of the analytics and tracking companies and softwares that are compatible with their platform. I use a combination of Mixpanel and Google Analytics for most sites, but also use a variety of others. However, I will only employ 2-3 per website.

Depending on what the site offers, will determine which trackers I employ. smiley
Re: Question On Website Stats by SegilolaSalami: 9:59am On May 28, 2016
I see . . . but this is only actionable because you have registered users

it is not doable for a site that does not

radragan:

To put it simply, I use the identifier associated with the user IDs assigned by mixpanel, and link them to the user's corresponding member ID on my website. This way, when a certain user logs into their members account, I can track them through Mixpanel using their member ID. I then use that same ID to notice any behavior through some of the other scripts and tracking codes I employ on my sites.

I monitor which devices they are using with the help of some custom scripts and snippets of code that I add to the Mixpanel tracking scripts on my site.

It sounds simple, but it's very tedious to setup. I've been working on a way to simplify it all to pass on to other users because I believe it will help them better understand and leverage their analytics data, by giving them a more definitive and real-time overview of how people interact with their sites.

It's just not going as easily as planned, but I'm confident I will figure it out eventually.

One of the tools I use to manage all of my scripts and data is a service called Segment (www.segment.com). It allows you to link multiple services to a single dashboard for convenience. If you navigate to their integrations page, https://segment.com/integrations, you can view a list of the analytics and tracking companies and softwares that are compatible with their platform. I use a combination of Mixpanel and Google Analytics for most sites, but also use a variety of others. However, I will only employ 2-3 per website.

Depending on what the site offers, will determine which trackers I employ. smiley
Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 10:44pm On May 29, 2016
SegilolaSalami:
I see . . . but this is only actionable because you have registered users

it is not doable for a site that does not

Correct. Which is why I've been trying to figure out how to create something to offer webmasters without registered users the same functionality. It's tough, but I think I can figure it out.
Re: Question On Website Stats by SlimHan(f): 12:42pm On May 30, 2016
@radragan can I pls have your mail or whatsap contact. Need your help on something urgent. Thanks
Re: Question On Website Stats by bedfordng(m): 4:53pm On May 30, 2016
SegilolaSalami:
Hi everyone,

I am super confused right now, so I need you if you do know the answer to explain some things to me

I use the plugin SlimStat for my website analytics.
For the month of May till this minute as I am writing, it says that my website has 1400 pages views, 760 visits

I went to back up my website, so that I can update wordpress, so nosed about at the stats there
Analog stats says:
#reqs 116000 #pages 26000

Webalizer says:
16000 visits, 29000 pages

AWStats says:
3300 unique visitors, 13000 number of visits, 52000 pages, 100000 hits

They are all so freaking different. Who understands them? Why are they so different even though it is for the same website? Which gives the most reliable data? Should I be monitoring them?

Thanks in advance for reading and explaining
i will recommend you make use of google analytics
Re: Question On Website Stats by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 30, 2016
SlimHan:
@radragan can I pls have your mail or whatsap contact. Need your help on something urgent. Thanks

You can reach me by sending me a message HERE. Feel free to contact me anytime. The messages go directly to my personal inbox so I will answer quickly.

I don't post my email any more. I receive too many spam mails when I do.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

(1) (Reply)

Adsense Has Finally Approved Me / I Need Rss Feed Links / Who Can Pls Help Me Design My Wordpress Site.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.