Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board (14644 Views)

UBA Appoints 3 Nairalanders From Ambrose Alli University As Bank Ambassadors / The 10 Bank Directors That Have Earned The Highest Dividends In 2016 - PIC / Skye Bank Executive Directors Resign, Replacements Named (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by Adesiji77: 10:39am On May 18, 2016
United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, a leading pan-African banking group with operations in 19 countries on the continent and presence in London, Paris and New York, has announced the appointments of Ayo Liadi, Oliver Alawuba, Ibrahim Puri, Uche Ike and Chuks Nweke as executive directors of the UBA Group.

A statement by the banking group on Tuesday said their appointments were subject to the approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

“All the appointees bring considerable experience to the board and as a sign of the depth of internal talent and the group’s commitment to fostering promotion of its own human capital, all have been promoted from within the bank,” UBA said in the statement.

Liadi has over 20 years banking experience, having worked in Tier 1 banks in Nigeria and West Africa, before joining UBA in January 2014 as the Director for Lagos and West Bank, overseeing over 200 branches of UBA. A chartered accountant and graduate of Business Management from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Liadi received the Dean’s award for Outstanding Academic Performance.

Alawuba, currently the CEO Africa, Anglophone, joined the UBA Group in 1997. He is a member of the Association of Bank Directors in Nigeria and also a Catholic knight, Alawuba had previously supervised the bank’s Public Sector and Personal Banking businesses. He has over 25 years of banking experience.
Puri, currently the Directorate Head of the North Bank, is a graduate of Banking and Finance. He joined the UBA Group in 2006 and has contributed immensely to the growth of the bank in both the private and public sectors. Puri has over 25 years of banking experience.

Ike, the Group Chief Risk Officer, is a chartered accountant, with an MBA from the University of Benin. He has been with the group since 2006 and has served in a number of prominent roles, first as Group Head of Operations in South and South East Banks and then for a period of five years, as General Manager at the bank’s New York branch. Ike has over 27 years of banking experience.

Nweke, currently the Head of Operations and Information Technology, is an accounting graduate of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (best graduating student) and holds an MBA from the same university. Nweke is also a qualified chartered accountant. He has over 25 years banking experience.

While congratulating the newly appointed executive directors, the Group Chairman, Tony Elumelu, said: “These appointments will greatly assist in the plans we have to transform the UBA Group into a truly customer-led bank and the foremost financial institution in Africa.

“These are exciting times for UBA,” he continued. “And with this leadership, I have no doubt that the bank will continue on its strong growth trajectory.”
The newly appointed executive directors join Kennedy Uzoka, who was appointed as the incoming Group CEO in March 2016. Uzoka will assume his role on the 1st of August, on the retirement of Phillips Oduoza.

Uzoka said: “I am extremely optimistic about the future of the bank. These appointments show the strength of the talent available within UBA and demonstrate our commitment to institutionalisation. We could not have put together a better executive leadership team.”
Elumelu also commended outgoing directors, saying: “I take this opportunity to inform you that two of our executive directors, Femi Olaloku and Obi Ibekwe, will be retiring from the board effective June 30 and May 31, 2016, respectively.

“I would like to thank them for the enormous contributions they have made during their time of service.”
In April this year, UBA held an intensive three-day strategy session which brought together the group board, subsidiary CEOs and board chairs to set a path for the pan-African bank’s future.

At the group’s strategy session, the bank resolved to deepen its commitment to its pan-African strategy and accelerate its expansion across the continent.
The appointment of five executive directors yesterday was a visible manifestation of the group’s strategic intent, UBA added in its statement.

UBA reported strong financial results for the financial year ending 2015, in what was recognised as a challenging macro-environment.
It declared gross earnings of N315 billion while operating profits approximated to N70 billion. Its first quarter profits in the current financial year of N18 billion illustrate the resilience of the bank’s business model.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/05/18/uba-appoints-five-new-executive-directors-to-group-board/
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by Nobody: 11:47am On May 18, 2016
FTC....

This is dedicated to Nigeria masses....as we are now embracing the reality of "All Promises Cancelled" aka APC

2 Likes

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by arsenwise: 11:48am On May 18, 2016
who dem elp?

1 Like

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by NLEFCC(m): 11:49am On May 18, 2016
Are these the guys that receive over 40M monthly? Hmmmmmm
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by egwekwe: 11:49am On May 18, 2016
Igbo conglomerate.

13 Likes

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by Nobody: 11:50am On May 18, 2016
Congrats to them.
arsenwise:
who dem elp?
Who you epp? tongue tongue tongue tongue

4 Likes

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by free2ryhme: 11:50am On May 18, 2016
i don tire for this country
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by datola: 11:50am On May 18, 2016
How many people will these appointments help?
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by Nobody: 11:50am On May 18, 2016
Bigger responsibilities bigger pay.
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by hinohsend: 11:50am On May 18, 2016
Congrats,but i dont get why this should be on fp.
People get appointed everyday.
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by khaz(m): 11:51am On May 18, 2016
Alhamdulillah

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by mariosam(m): 11:51am On May 18, 2016
K
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by MKO4ever(m): 11:51am On May 18, 2016
And I pray that however hard the country may be, God let me continue to prosper
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by DaMotivator(m): 11:54am On May 18, 2016
end time appointment....baba God pick up my call oh...i called u dis morning..u gat ma numba nah
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by 0955eb027(m): 11:55am On May 18, 2016
I dont know why i am here.
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by Samexdx(m): 11:55am On May 18, 2016
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by Adesiji77: 11:55am On May 18, 2016
Nairametrics:Major Shakeup: Why UBA Appointed 5 New Directors
Whilst the bank did not clearly explain why it appointed 5 new directors in its press release it appears the appointment is part of the banks transition plans following the appointment of its new Managing Director, Kennedy Uzoka. Mr Uzoka was in March announced as the replacement to the outgoing Phillips Odozua and is expected to resume August 1 2016. Typically, new CEO’s will want to constitute a new management team that will help actualize their vision for the company. Apart from Mr Odozua two other Executive Directors, Femi Olaloku and Obi Ibekwe will be retiring from the Board effective June 30 and May 31, 2016 respectively.

Kennedy Uzoka has often been viewed as the crowned prince of UBA and had attended several courses over the last few years in preparation for this position. The bank at its strategy session, resolved to deepen its commitment to its pan Africa strategy and accelerate its expansion across the continent. It also claims these appointments are a “visible manifestation of the Group’s strategic intent.” UBA recently announced that it was recapitalizing its foreign entities indicating that the bank is look

By his appointment and introduction of new Executive Directors, shareholders will hope that the bank’s earnings trajectory will improve. When Phillips Oduoza took over as CEO of UBA the share price was at N10.50. It is currently trading at N3.99 and has been up 18% year to date.
http://nairametrics.com/major-shakeup-why-uba-appointed-5-new-directors/
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by nawtyme: 11:58am On May 18, 2016
Criminal bank. In your best interest, check my signature.
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by rawtouch: 11:58am On May 18, 2016
Congratulations to them
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by AKAKAK(m): 11:58am On May 18, 2016
How did Oliver Alawuba join UBA in 1997 when he was Group Executive in FINBANK (right from the days of first inland bank) for over 8 years they should have at least told us when joined, when he left, and when he came back. To know how to be financially free by having a reliable alternative source of income check my signature.
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by kkboy(m): 11:59am On May 18, 2016
Congratulations to them especially to Oliver Alawuba my secondary school mate.
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by jdstunt(m): 12:00pm On May 18, 2016
Good
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by ideylaff: 12:00pm On May 18, 2016
egwekwe:
Looking at UBA bank not only gives me joy but satisfaction when seeing how an institution was built from scratch and run successfully by my kinsmen.

UBA is an example of a successful Igbo conglomerate.

It's the Bigger Boys and players money in UBA plus Tony as the guy person in charge .

No bank is pure in the entire Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by Gerrard59(m): 12:00pm On May 18, 2016
Home grown cool. Surprised but making sense.
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by wheredemdey: 12:00pm On May 18, 2016
Uche Ike...round peg in a round hole

Astute..resilient....brains personified...worked with him from 2013-2015....the guy is a risk and financial guru....a living encyclopedia of financial and risk knowledge

Uche Ike is definitely going to succeed Kennedy uzoka as MD.
Its a general knowledge that he is the MD in waiting.

Congrats sir

1 Like

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by DIFY20(f): 12:09pm On May 18, 2016
stop talking trash igbos are not tribal
egwekwe:
Looking at UBA bank not only gives me joy but satisfaction when seeing how an institution was built from scratch and run successfully by my kinsmen.

1 Like

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by DIFY20(f): 12:15pm On May 18, 2016
one thing i understand about nigeria banking sector is DAT most of them are mostly UNN GRADUATE

3 Likes

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by mysteriousman(m): 12:16pm On May 18, 2016
Nairaland doing free advertisement for banks in Nigeria since 1900
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by mrvitalis(m): 12:31pm On May 18, 2016
DIFY20:
one thing i understand about nigeria banking sector is DAT most of them are mostly UNN GRADUATE
unn ruling the banking sector silentely and also the medical profession

5 Likes

Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by compoundC: 12:34pm On May 18, 2016
The bank is not a smart bank base on its nomination

The CBN should not approve it
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by ademusiwa5: 12:37pm On May 18, 2016
.[size=28pt] :The bank is not a smart bank base on its nomination

The CBN should not approve it, I look at some of the people name and i discovered they are telling lies..

Nomination to banks most be base on fairness . and spreed

Nomination as CEO of banks are base on Royal content. He does mr Ayo liadi does not meet the requirements.

the bank will collapse. It will not be possible for them to bail out the bank if he is CEO and the others.

The CBN most reject the appointment because of risk factors.

All CEO of banks most meet the Royal content before they can be approve by cbn. I don't hate. I don't know him too. So my written is base on a fair view. So that the bank will not collapse

all of the banks feed on the Royal system network of Nigeria. And if you have a CEO which is not connected in anyway to its sources, the bank will fail because state will not be able to bail out that bank.

Basically there most be a connection between royalty and the banking system because many decision of government is base on the banking system.

I personally reject his appointment . This ground base on what I know.

The bank will fail under him. Because he is not connected to the source of the money.

You have a network in place that all CEO of banks most meet. For the banks not to fail
Which is the Royal content for them not to fail. Without it all banks will fail.

all banks in nigeria that failed, is because they did not have royal content in them. While if you look at history of banking in nigeria. one main character of all of their management is royalty. so that they can get bail out by the state with constitute their owners. because governors of state can easy be remove, but the royal portion of government is permanent there forever.

it[/size]
Re: UBA Appoints Five New Executive Directors To Group Board by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 18, 2016
egwekwe:

By your Kinsmen? How? Anioma people do not consider themselves Igbos. Even during the last misadventure of Igbos in 1967, they did not support you. Are you awake now?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos of Sabmiller Plant Onitsha, Highest Foreign Direct Investment In Nigeria / USSD: Telcos Insist On Disconnecting Banks / 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.