Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,332 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) - Science/Technology (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) (80018 Views)

Trapped Manatee Caught And Butchered In Bayelsa By Residents. Photos / Manatee Killed At Oguta Lake In Imo (Photos) / Photos Of A Manatee Killed In Badagry, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 11:27am On May 20, 2016
20bc:
Nigerians, we are always hungry . They didn't even wait to confirm whether it's edible or not, sharp sharp they have already butchered it......What to do...., ♣♣♣
i swear, Nigerians are hungry.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by 20bc(m): 11:37am On May 20, 2016
WinningSun:

i swear, Nigerians are hungry.
Thank God we know....
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by greenhope(m): 11:38am On May 20, 2016
I never this can be found around here.

What a waste
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by bastien: 11:39am On May 20, 2016
tosinjay:

You can read
Acts 10:9-16(KJV)
Romans 14
hmm, never knew, I give up
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Chinom(m): 12:28pm On May 20, 2016
How do they even know it's edible. Dem don butcher am sharp sharp. I tireoo.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by eaglechild: 12:35pm On May 20, 2016
This is very very depressing.
Savages everywhere.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Greenrevolt(m): 12:57pm On May 20, 2016
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by brojoshua: 1:17pm On May 20, 2016
[color=#006600][/color]
thesicilian:
is this poverty or hunger? Rare animals that should be preserved being butchered with reckless abandon.
Let us be wise and understanding, for people will live as the situation permits. These may be fisher men who kill and sell fish as their own work. And also you are imagining what cannot work in our own country at leas for now. In one European country, they have many natural ponds where they have plenty of ducks and fishes, they don't touch or kill those things and even bring bread to feed them. Why? Because they have too much meat, fishes, chicken, turkeys, shrimps and well dressed and preserved in freezers in their homes and superintendents and have almost enough money, almost all of them or us, to buy more than they need and even waste plenty. I thought if my brothers who have not enough money to buy meats and fresh milk at home see these ducks and co, they will kill them ten by ten until they finish them if they will finish.
Are you now expecting most Nigerians to be treating animals the same way those people are treating them, that is almost a right message to a wrong people, for now. People will live the way they can, not that people prefer to pick and eat the chicken that the custom men buried, but because they could not get meet elsewhere or they will not eat at all. Let us not mock the poor for God care for them, though many times people themselves are wicked and don't really care for themselves, and you also see that most leaders do not care for them but are self serving. It is the people who have enough to eat from one place that are preserving the ones they see in another place. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 1:24pm On May 20, 2016
yusufyusuf1:

People go think say u don travel out of naija before why everybody is just forming animal friendly
Do you know me somewhere?

1 Like

Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by kechywillz(m): 1:40pm On May 20, 2016
I was watching a documentary on TV,the documentary was on aquatic life,u need to see how fishes allow these white men allow them to touch them,even bring them outside from the water. U cant try these in Nigeria,the fishes wouldnt even get close to u let alone touching them. Now this creature these ppl killed is not even harmful let alone seen frequently.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by thesicilian: 2:07pm On May 20, 2016
brojoshua:
[color=#006600][/color]
Let us be wise and understanding, for people will live as the situation permits. These may be fisher men who kill and sell fish as their own work. And also you are imagining what cannot work in our own country at leas for now. In one European country, they have many natural ponds where they have plenty of ducks and fishes, they don't touch or kill those things and even bring bread to feed them. Why? Because they have too much meat, fishes, chicken, turkeys, shrimps and well dressed and preserved in freezers in their homes and superintendents and have almost enough money, almost all of them or us, to buy more than they need and even waste plenty. I thought if my brothers who have not enough money to buy meats and fresh milk at home see these ducks and co, they will kill them ten by ten until they finish them if they will finish.
Are you now expecting most Nigerians to be treating animals the same way those people are treating them, that is almost a right message to a wrong people, for now. People will live the way they can, not that people prefer to pick and eat the chicken that the custom men buried, but because they could not get meet elsewhere or they will not eat at all. Let us not mock the poor for God care for them, though many times people themselves are wicked and don't really care for themselves, and you also see that most leaders do not care for them but are self serving. It is the people who have enough to eat from one place that are preserving the ones they see in another place. Thank you

So you are saying its both poverty and hunger. May be true, but I tell you sir, ignorance is much more of a factor than those two.
Are we going to say the same river that produced that rare animal, did not produce thousands of other fishes, which they would most likely have already caught before landing that once in a blue moon catch? I tell you, the truth is, these people do not know the importance of wildlife preservation.
Agreed, even our government does not know better and so bringing it to the government reserves may not be the way to go, but then I'm sure there are a lot of private zoos and research laboratories that may be interested..

Dinosaurs are now extinct worldwide, but let's say perchance one is caught in the forests of Nigeria, how would you feel if by the time you're seeing it on the news its already being slaughtered and roasted?
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 20, 2016
macaranta:
Trust the average African man to eat everything and produce nothing.

Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Atk1nson(m): 2:31pm On May 20, 2016
permanentgrace:

All you guys ranting and advocating for wildlife conservation, you all are just hypocrite. WHO WILDLIFE EPP?

My people, no mind anybody o. Butcher the animal and eat and be belleful first. That is what is mostly important in a hungry nation like ours.

It's not hunger that is your problem, it's ignorance. That animal is worth far more in monetary terms alive than dead.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 20, 2016
Sunofgod:
Manatee Peppersoup go full joints tonight... grin

Meanwhile lucky American Manatee's who 'no miss road' pose for selfie's with less hungry people in less polluted waters - cheesy

Damn, they look so harmless and cute. I wish i didn't see this photo

1 Like

Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nuahall2k14(m): 2:58pm On May 20, 2016
Sorry Methuselah.. I will read tru nxt time..
Ilaje44:

They say the animal is Manatee, yet you still have the audacity to call it a Sea Lion (Seal). Common, you these young people should try to always read thoroughly before you comment.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Dav77(m): 3:01pm On May 20, 2016
Just try and wear a trap suit with hood and jump into a river,naija guys will butcher u before u declear ur identity, they will only claim that u are just a talking fish, may God deliver our land from hunger and illiteracy.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by ibiso1986: 3:10pm On May 20, 2016
brownlolly:
These stupid Niger Deltans/Riverians don't know that manatees are endangered species, most especially that huge size. Dumbfucks. All they do is kill.
dont generalize... not all.. just a bunch of hungry illetrates..
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Shegson12345(m): 3:15pm On May 20, 2016
sea lion (seal)
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Ilaje44(m): 3:46pm On May 20, 2016
Nuahall2k14:
Sorry Methuselah.. I will read tru nxt time..
I am flattered, but why the effort? It would have sufficed to call me "Old man". Anyway, Methuselah of our time greets you. Go and sin no more.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by omotroyz(m): 4:10pm On May 20, 2016
bastien:
fins? Does it have scale?
that doesn't makes it unclean. even ur bible said that how can u call what he created "UNCLEAN"
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 20, 2016
Enough meat for the family.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by bastien: 6:02pm On May 20, 2016
omotroyz:

that doesn't makes it unclean. even ur bible said that how can u call what he created "UNCLEAN"
hmm, which verse
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by permanentgrace(m): 6:10pm On May 20, 2016
Atk1nson:

It's not hunger that is your problem, it's ignorance. That animal is worth far more in monetary terms alive than dead.

Who the animal EPP?
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 20, 2016
Ibime:

Reading about the African manatee now, it seems our ancestors knew about this animal and named it 'mami water' because it looks like a woman when it comes up for air.

This got corrupted and confused later with the European 'mermaid' which is fish and not mammal like mami water.

Lol, people just chop...me I can't eat an animal am seeing for the first time, can you??
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by omotroyz(m): 7:00pm On May 20, 2016
bastien:
hmm, which verse
acts 10. but u can skip to acts 10:9 and I believe your new testaments clarify the old one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by bastien: 9:53pm On May 20, 2016
omotroyz:

acts 10. but u can skip to acts 10:9 and I believe your new testaments clarify the old one.
cool thanks
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Cityguy: 10:52pm On May 20, 2016
EazyMoh:
heheheheh moat guys above me sha! U don't know say the poverty rating of Nigeria na real!
Maslow's hierarchy of needs comes to mind. Most Nigerians are at the lowest level where meeting basic biological needs such as food, shelter and the likes is paramount. Those esthetic values we so loftly espouse and desire are higher up the pyramid! Those oyinbos can pose cos often times, what to eat isn't their problem. Hopefully we'll get there one day.

1 Like

Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Aeman(m): 2:39pm On May 21, 2016
Mehn ignorance s a disese ooo dis creature can easily be sold cos its nt harmful its an anphibian for God sake!!!!!!!
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by IAmTobore(m): 12:49pm On May 23, 2016
See lions are very very rare in africa. They shouldnt have killed it.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by SavageGarden(m): 6:59am On Aug 24, 2016
brojoshua:
[color=#006600][/color]

They refuse to understand bro! They're so quick to pull the trigger because they're lucky to have an education and see things from a different view point. These people are the lowest on societies food chain...people abusing folks that butchered that West African Manatee are clearly not educated enough because they fail to think rationally...expecting people living in the creeks and slums of The Niger Delta to behave as civilized as living in Texas...is foolhardy..its like expecting to win an Ijaw man in a drinking competion...Thanks for your comment though..You're a wise one.
Re: Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) by Donnellie(m): 11:41pm On Apr 18, 2017
These people should be investigated and convicted.
Heavy fines should be placed on animal poachers and the likes.

Han han!

They should go back to farm in their village If they are that hungry. angry

welcome to Nigeria grin
These people should be investigated and convicted.
Heavy fines should be placed on animal poachers and the likes.

Han han!

They should go back to farm in their village If they are that hungry. angry

welcome to Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wild Boar Killed By Hunters In Abeokuta, Ogun State (Photos) / Wild Albino Chimpanzee Spotted In Uganda, Killed (Photo) / What I Saw In The Sky This Morning In Abuja!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.