Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,021 members, 7,835,453 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home (3773 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / Footballer Carlos Tevez Returns Home / Don't Blame Us If FIFA Bans Nigeria - Chukwuemeka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by BlackRevo: 4:47pm On Aug 18, 2009
Former Commonwealth Games shot put queen,Vivian Chukwuemeka is expected back in Lagos, Nigeria today to continue the fight to clear her name over her conviction for illegally spiking her system with a performance enhancing drug, oxymetholone, a brand of anabolic steroid.

The 12 time national shot put champion is also demanding the Athletic Federation of Nigeria give her a hearing before the mandatory 14-day ultimatum set by the international associations of athletics federations.

Chukwuemeka told Complete Sports Monday at the Berlin Berlin hotel abode of Team Nigeria that she has been pleading with AFN officials to give her a hearing but was told that cannot be done without the presence of Femi Ayorinde, the IAAF-recognised doping officer in Nigeria.

‘’I have just 14 days to get the federation to hear my own side of the story. It is incredible that the federation wants to nail me without even hearing my defence. I was surprised when our team doctor told me to just sign the IAAF form so that I can commence my ban immediately. Other countries give their athletes the benefit of the doubt but in Nigeria, they just want to hang us’’, laments Chukwuemeka.

The USA-based star does not understand why the AFN should take Gloria Kemasuode’s form to the IAAF which now gives her the right to demand for the testing of her B sample while her own form was kept at the team’s Berlin Berlin hotel.

‘’Who is afraid of me?, asked Chukwuemeka. Why do they want me ‘dead’?

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/details.php?category=news&id=9530
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by galatico(m): 12:42pm On Aug 19, 2009
Shameful act they can't emulate the Jamacan Usian Bolt no durg, still a top performer!!!
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by Meldrick(m): 1:21pm On Aug 19, 2009
galatico:

Shameful act they can't emulate the Jamacan Usian Bolt no durg, still a top performer!!!

Hmmmm, u never can be too sure. Soon we'll start getting different revelations on Usain Bolt.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by Ibime(m): 1:40pm On Aug 19, 2009
Why would Naija wanna sacrifice the lady before the B sample comes in? I tire for Naija o.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:04pm On Aug 19, 2009
as if you do not know the outcome grin
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by Phony200(m): 3:19pm On Aug 19, 2009
There's hardly ever a difference in the results even if they test to Z.sample.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by Mortiple(m): 3:36pm On Aug 19, 2009
Vivian is known to be outspoken. She openly criticizes AFN officials when need arises. I suspect this is a plot to shut her up forever.

But why would she take drug now that her retirement is near?  Something she never did during her peak periods; not even at 2002 and 2006 World cup wherein she finished 7th and 8th respectively.  Of course I know human beings can be funny at times.

Nigeria is about returning from the ongoing World Athletics Championship in Berlin without a medal, yet AFN is 'working hard' to ensure that Vivian Chukwuemeka is disgraced.  Ethiopia, Kenya, Eritrea, Bahamas, Jamaica, etc are already on medals table. Giant of Africa, my foot!  Shame to bad people (at AFN)!!

AFN claimed to have tested her at a meet that she never attended.  What a joke!
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by chic2pimp(m): 3:38pm On Aug 19, 2009
Ibime:

Why would Naija wanna sacrifice the lady before the B sample comes in? I tire for Naija o.
me to jare. I tire for naija peeps grin grin. Shey una never hia of the saying innocent until proven guilty. Make una wait for the b sample b4 castrating her jor.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by enet1(m): 5:10pm On Aug 19, 2009
i think they should give vivian an opportunity to defend herself.i can vouch for her sincerity.she is being unfairly treated.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by Nezan(m): 5:26pm On Aug 19, 2009
na waaa
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by aquita(m): 6:14pm On Aug 19, 2009
I believe we should give Vivian benefit of the doubt. It is still early to conclude she is quity.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by GeeCee(m): 7:09pm On Aug 19, 2009
She shuld b given a chance 2 prove her innocence; she deserve it.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by koolchicco: 7:13pm On Aug 19, 2009
GeeCee:

She shuld b given a chance 2 prove her innocence; she deserve it.

I think some peeps are after the poor girl.Pls let her prove her innocence!
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by BlackRevo: 9:45pm On Aug 19, 2009
Former 100m World Junior champion, Tina Iheagwam says there may be more than meets the eye in the shot-put thrower, Vivian Chukwuemeka’s allegations that she may have been set up by some officials of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN).

Iheagwam, who is now retired, said: “We cannot predict AFN nowadays; they can do and undo. During my own time, we had a lot of enemies then; in short there is nothing they cannot do. Like a former AFN President, was the enemy we had at that time. He was just destroying people and setting them up, the way he was maltreating athletes and was running AFN as if it was his father’s business but where is he today?”

The petite athlete however said the full details of Chukwuemeka’s predicament would be unravelled when she returns to Nigeria to state her case, though it would be a bitter pill to swallow if she was actually sabotaged,

“Did she have any grudges with anybody there? She’s still a baby as far as Track and Field is concerned despite the fact that she is big so she can retire anytime she can. She’s a talent and she still needs to use her talent. Nobody can force her to retire. It is a pity if they do this to her and that is why they lose a lot of stars, people that are supposed to win medals for them.

“I don’t want to believe she’s banned, let her come back first. Since she’s been competing, I never heard anything like that about her and this is not the first time they’ve been testing her so I’m kind of surprised to hear that she tested positive and that they’ve been banned from camp.”

The gold medallist in 200 meters at the 1987 and 1991 editions of the All African Games was, in 1992, banned for four years with the likes of Chioma Ajunwa and Charity Opara-Thompson for testing positive to banned substances, which made her career in athletics short-lived.

“That was the first time athletes were being banned for using substances and what I used, I never termed it to be something because it made me to learn, though nobody is perfect, so this same AK Amu dropped us because he didn’t like us.

“I gained experience from the ordeal but most of my colleagues still repeated the same thing and they were banned for life because they never learnt.”

http:// 2 3 4 next . com /csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5445728-146/Iheagwam_backs_Chukwuemeka%E2%80%99s_sabotage_allegation.csp
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by oge4real(f): 10:41pm On Aug 19, 2009
Naija, what can we do right?
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by BlackRevo: 10:47pm On Aug 19, 2009
IAAF Set Aug 24 Date For Chukwuemeka Appeal

The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has set August 24 and 30 as dates for the hearing of the appeal lodged by the two Nigerian athletes who tested positive for banned performance enhancing substances; shot putter,Vivian Chukwuemeka and sprinter, Gloria Kemasuode.

Complete Sports gathered exclusively from the Berlin Berlin hotel camp of the Team Nigeria here in Berlin that while Kemasuode's date has been fixed for August 24, Chukwuemeka will have her hearing six days later on August 30.

“Yes, the IAAF has communicated to us the dates for the hearing of the athletes protests which will be held in South Africa”, revealed Maria Worphil, Secretary-General of the Athletic Federation of Nigeria.

“The two athletes will have to pay their ways to South Africa or send representatives because they are the ones asking for a second opinion'', revealed the former national Handball star who explained why the federation is handicapped in the matter.

“We cannot ask for a second opinion because we conducted the test in the first place. If the test had taken place here in Berlin for example during the on-going world championships we can demand for the B sample to be tested.That is the only way we fight for the athletes''.

Worphil also revealed that the athletes will have to pay the fees for the hearing and the test.
'Yes,the athletes will also pay for the analysis of the B sample. While Vivian will only pay $150, Gloria will pay $250 because she tested positive for two illegal substances''.

The AFN secretariat head debunked the athletes claim that the federation did not fight for them and wondered how the federation would be at the forefront of the fight in a test conducted by the same federation.

'Will it not look like we are indicting ourselves? If we conduct a test and we turn around to say it was flawed, how do you want the outside world to look at us? I read that one of the athletes said we asked her to sign the form which would have signalled the immediate commencement of her two-year ban.That is the best we can do as a federation in this matter. If Vivian who labelled the accusation against our doping officer feels she has evidence, nobody is saying she should keep quiet. But as a federation, there are international rules guiding all these which we are signatory to and which is binding'', she said.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/details.php?category=news&id=9548
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by safariman(m): 11:47pm On Aug 19, 2009
@Black_Revo
Why are you soiling the name of Christy Opara Thompson. As far as I know, she never tested positive for performance enhancing drug
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by mamagee6(f): 11:59pm On Aug 19, 2009
Chineke ekwe kwala ihe ojoo. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by BlackRevo: 12:49am On Aug 20, 2009
safariman:

@Black_Revo
Why are you soiling the name of Christy Opara Thompson.  As far as I know, she never tested positive for performance enhancing drug

Please can you quote expressly for me where i said she tested positive for performance enhancement drugs? How am i soiling her name please? I posted the first article and the following two articles just to bring all the development about the issue to nairalanders. 

Does posting an article constitute my stand on this issue? Why can't you simply ask me what is my position on this issue before jumping into conclusions? Have you seen me made any comment apart from posting these articles i found on the news? If i am soiling her name then why did i post the second article about another athlete that is in support of her?

Please try to be civil when engaging people on public forums, I am not here to quarrel or fight with anyone ( That is the norm here i guess ).  I try to bring information from the web to the attention of nairalanders and please do analyze my personal comments before jumping into conclusions next time and not from my posted articles.

One Love.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by vislabraye(m): 2:30am On Aug 20, 2009
I remember the same thing happened to Chioma Ajunwa and she was banned. She later returned and won the first gold medal for N igeria. I don't know trhe conspiracy surrounding vivian, but she must be proved wrong or right.

The issue of catching a drug cheat is not complex at all. I don't know the reason for all the controversy.When it was discovered marion Jones used drugs, did she deny it? what about CJ hunter or Dwain Chambers, or Ben Johnson? It was so obvious and they even confessed to it. So let's get this straight with her
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by hollandis(f): 2:38am On Aug 20, 2009
vislabraye:

I remember the same thing happened to Chioma Ajunwa and she was banned. She later returned and won the first gold medal for N igeria. I don't know trhe conspiracy surrounding vivian, but she must be proved wrong or right.

The issue of catching a drug cheat is not complex at all. I don't know the reason for all the controversy.When it was discovered marion Jones used drugs, did she deny it? what about CJ hunter or Dwain Chambers, or Ben Johnson? It was so obvious and they even confessed to it. So let's get this straight with her
The grouse vivian has with AFN is the neglect by the former.No matter what ,everyone is innocent until proven otherwise.If the test exonerates her,then she is within her own right to change nationality.She has great potentials in her.Unfortuantely potentials are left to rot away in Nigeria.
Obikwelu did it(change her nationality)
Alozie did it
Vivian should do it
I am just disappointed with the way and manner the AFN is handling the whole issue

PLEASE STOP CALLING HER "DISGRACED" ATHLETE.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by hollandis(f): 2:56am On Aug 20, 2009
http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5445728-146/Iheagwam_backs_Chukwuemeka’s_sabotage_allegation.csp
[size=18pt]Iheagwam backs Chukwuemeka’s sabotage allegation[/size]
By Yemi Olus
August 18, 2009 11:09PMT
print  email   

Former 100m World Junior champion, Tina Iheagwam says there may be more than meets the eye in the shot-put thrower, Vivian Chukwuemeka’s allegations that she may have been set up by some officials of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN).

Iheagwam, who is now retired, said: “We cannot predict AFN nowadays; they can do and undo. During my own time, we had a lot of enemies then; in short there is nothing they cannot do. Like a former AFN President, was the enemy we had at that time. He was just destroying people and setting them up, the way he was maltreating athletes and was running AFN as if it was his father’s business but where is he today?”

The petite athlete however said the full details of Chukwuemeka’s predicament would be unravelled when she returns to Nigeria to state her case, though it would be a bitter pill to swallow if she was actually sabotaged,

“Did she have any grudges with anybody there? She’s still a baby as far as Track and Field is concerned despite the fact that she is big so she can retire anytime she can. She’s a talent and she still needs to use her talent. Nobody can force her to retire. It is a pity if they do this to her and that is why they lose a lot of stars, people that are supposed to win medals for them.

“I don’t want to believe she’s banned, let her come back first. Since she’s been competing, I never heard anything like that about her and this is not the first time they’ve been testing her so I’m kind of surprised to hear that she tested positive and that they’ve been banned from camp.”

The gold medallist in 200 meters at the 1987 and 1991 editions of the All African Games was, in 1992, banned for four years with the likes of Chioma Ajunwa and Charity Opara-Thompson for testing positive to banned substances, which made her career in athletics short-lived.

“That was the first time athletes were being banned for using substances and what I used, I never termed it to be something because it made me to learn, though nobody is perfect, so this same AK Amu dropped us because he didn’t like us.

“I gained experience from the ordeal but most of my colleagues still repeated the same thing and they were banned for life because they never learnt.”

Back

Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by GEW: 9:15am On Aug 20, 2009
evil envious tribalists would rather spoil nigeria's name than let someone from other place do thier job.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by Nezan(m): 6:53pm On Aug 20, 2009
Disgusting angry
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by safariman(m): 1:42pm On Aug 21, 2009
@Black_Revo
quote,

From you post,
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by safariman(m): 1:46pm On Aug 21, 2009
@Black_Revo
You mentioned that you were quoting from an article
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by BlackRevo: 3:42pm On Aug 21, 2009
safariman:

@Black_Revo
You mentioned that you were quoting from an article

I was not quoting but posting articles which i am not the author. That article which you took that quote from was for someone else who had a similar experience in the past. So she was in support of vivian.
Re: Vivian Chukwuemeka Returns Home by Olong(m): 7:49pm On Aug 21, 2009
Rebranding nigeria is at work peeps.AFN is mek sure we re truly rebranded.when they re through,we'l have a zillion world acclaimed athletes!scalywags!

(1) (Reply)

Former Football Captain, Christian Chukwu Is Dead / Please Compare Basketball To Football Which Is Stressful? / More Players Will Leave Chelsea On Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.