Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

See What Mr. Nigeria Has Been Up To In This Interview - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / See What Mr. Nigeria Has Been Up To In This Interview (1027 Views)

Mamuzee Twins Unveil Innoson Cars For "‎Miss & Mr Nigeria Resources Ambassador" / 'WIZKID Is The Best Artist Nigeria Has Ever Produced' - See My Reasons / Timi Dakolo Denies Granting Punch This Interview - Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See What Mr. Nigeria Has Been Up To In This Interview by magazineguy(m): 11:01am On May 20, 2016
Do you remember your life before winning Mr. Nigeria and what it was like?

Emmanuel: I used to live in Kenya and funny enough I was into entertainment during my stay there. I started my career there and I had a career in modeling, music and acting. So I was a celebrity in Kenya because I had done a lot, performed at a lot of A-class parties in East Africa. I had performed not just in Kenya but different countries as well. But coming to Nigeria, it was a different ball game. I tried pushing my music but it did not go through. But what really helped me was when MTV aired season 3 of Shuga, the one that had Tiwa Savage, so I came from Kenya to film that season and it created a bit of buzz. That period I realized there was going to be a Mr. Nigeria and to cut the long story short, I did it and won. With that I got some confidence to go into the industry to do all I needed to do.

What was your stage name while you were singing and performing in East Africa?

Emmanuel: 9con. I used to be called Naija connection so I derived 9con from that.

So what has life been like since coming to the Nigerian limelight?

Emmanuel: It’s been a whole lot of work. Every day I need to keep doing stuff to stay relevant. Sometimes it’s crazy because the industry has a way of setting some statistical standards and in trying not to lose myself, I have to be careful. I thank God I had a rehearsal part of my life about being a celebrity when I was in Kenya so the spotlight now is not a shock for me.

What projects did you embark on using Mr. Nigeria as your platform and how have they fared?

Emmanuel: I set up my foundation; it’s called the Emmanuel Ikubese Foundation and I did a couple of charity projects. But the main project that I focused on was on domestic violence against women. It’s called Project RAW – Respect a Woman, it launched with a charity ball on 29th of November 2015. We also had a charity football match, a short film and celebrities lent their voice to the project – Tu Face, Banky W, Ali Baba etc. My goal wasn’t just the awareness campaign; my goal was to create help but honestly, I won’t lie it’s been a tough job because funding it has been challenging. We planned to bring in a team of lawyers to help prosecute abuse cases and set the women up in businesses rather than just doing the campaign but it’s not being easy.

What people or sources are you looking to fund project RAW?

Emmanuel: People who are passionate about my course, making a difference and corporate organizations.

Besides project RAW what other projects are you actively involved in?

Emmanuel: I have a couple of movies that I did last year/this year coming out this year, I’m currently acting in a TV series; a whole lot of stuff basically. So I’m just waiting for them to be released.

Now that you’re all about acting movies and TV Series, what about your music career?

Emmanuel: It’s on pause for now so we’ll see how it goes.

What’s your favorite pastime?

Emmanuel: I chill at home. I go out but I’m more of a home person. I feel like when I’m not working I should be home. Unless there’s an event, then from there I can take advantage and hang out. But if I’m not working I’d rather stay at home, go play football, go to the gym, go jog and come back home.

Speaking of the gym, how did you build and maintain a Mr. Nigeria worthy physique?

Emmanuel: It’s been crazy and intense because a lot of times I find myself on set for months, shooting in funny places where there are no gyms. If I find time in the morning I go for a jog and sometimes I shoot till 2/3am but if I finish on time, say 8/9pm, I find myself jogging, doing pushups. It’s not easy but I try.

On that note how do you cope with all the female attention?

Emmanuel: {Laughs} To me I always see them as friends and people who admire what I do and I reciprocate by just saying “hi, thank you” and that’s it. It’s not like all the ladies who say hi to me want to get down; they’re just admirers of my work or fans.

With that said, what’s one thing you’d say to future coming Mr. Nigerias?

Emmanuel: What I would say to future, upcoming Mr. Nigerias or to the young people in general is believe in whatever you want and go for it; it might take a while but be patient. But remember, put God first. I believe I am where I am today by God’s grace so be patient, pray, set your mind to it and it will happen. Never give up, never give up, and never give up!

http://www.tushmagazine.com.ng/tm-interviews-emmanuel-ikubese-mr-nigeria-2014/

Re: See What Mr. Nigeria Has Been Up To In This Interview by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 20, 2016
isok
Re: See What Mr. Nigeria Has Been Up To In This Interview by Tynasparks(f): 12:53pm On May 20, 2016
Okay....next undecided
Re: See What Mr. Nigeria Has Been Up To In This Interview by Afrok(m): 1:24pm On May 20, 2016
The time it'll take me to read that interview, I used it to find light and charge my phone, buy small food stuffs in the market and came back online to comment that I didn't waste my time reading the interview cheesy

No vex Op, just that no time to wasteundecided
Good for him...

(1) (Reply)

Kanye West’s Alleged Sex Tape With Video Vixen Has Been Leaked! / Entertainer Noble Igwe & His Baby Love Is Now Officially Married - Photos / Kim Kardashian Poses N*de For GQ Magazine Cover (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.