Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,192 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

How To Deal With Regrets And Your Past - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How To Deal With Regrets And Your Past (786 Views)

Regrets - A Poem. / Even When I'm Down With Regrets.. / Let Your Past Be Passed: The Secret To Living Life To Fullest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With Regrets And Your Past by cr80vity(m): 7:40am On May 21, 2016
Everyone is prone to mistakes but not everyone knows how to get over it. Sometimes we take an action and wished we didn’t or not take an action and wished we did but either ways, there are always consequences for each of the actions. These consequences, if negative, hurts us and we find it hard to get over it and it usually hurt the weak ones for a long time. These consequences bring about regrets and these regrets bring about guilt.
Why letting what has happened stop you from moving forward? Whenever I face something I don’t have control over, I have disciplined myself to take it away from my mind. I just say to myself “it has happened and it’s gone already” instead of biting my fingers and sulking. Fine! It’s hard to let go but the fact is, is there anything you can do about it? If there is a remedy to it, then it’s not a thing of regret.
Regret is to feel sorry about a thing that has or has not happened. It is an emotional pain on account of something done or experienced in the past, with a wish that it had been different; a looking back with dissatisfaction or with longing ( The English Dictionary). A negative emotional state that involves blaming oneself for a bad outcome, feeling a sense of loss or sorrow at what might have been or wishing one could undo a previous choice that we made (psychologytoday.com ).
Regret comes in different shapes and sizes. Some are small – like when we do a bad thing for a good reason. Some are bigger – like when we can do something but we couldn’t do it. Some of us escape the pangs of regret by making the right choice. Some of us have little time for regret because we are looking forward to the future. Sometimes we have to forget to come to terms with the past and sometimes we buy our regrets by promising to change our ways. Someone once said that our biggest regrets are not for the things we did but for the things we didn’t do, things we were ignorant of and later got to know, things we didn’t say that could have saved someone we care about especially when we can see the dark storm that is headed their way but should one now live the rest of his/her live recalling what has happened in the past which turned into regret.
A quote says “yesterday is a cancelled cheque, tomorrow is a promising note, today is the only cash you have – spend it wisely.” If you spend today’s cash all on thinking about your regret, then you will be broke and remain on one point.
The first step to take to get off your regret is to first of all, LEARN TO FORGIVE YOURSELF. As simple as you think forgiving yourself is, as difficult it is to carry out. In fact, it is easier forgiving others than forgiving yourself because people you forgive, you don’t see them all the time so you will find it easier to forget their offenses but you see yourself all the time and this makes you to always remember your own offenses. But if you can forgive yourself, you will not remember things that you are regretting. Even when they flash into your memory, with ease you will neglect. Just say to yourself – “it’s okay! I am moving on” and also engage yourself and your mind with meaningful things. Being idle makes it easy to think about your regrets and this way, you can’t move forward.
Every morning, you are handed 24 golden hours. They are one of the few things in this world that you get for free. If you had all the money in this world, you couldn’t buy an extra second. What will you do with this priceless treasure? Will you make use of every golden hour to bite your fingers and keep thinking about what you regret?
Thomas Paine said “I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. It is the business of little minds to shrink; but he, whose heart is firm and whose conscience approves his conducts, will pursue his principles unto death”.
One good thing about regret is that it make you to refocus and do the correct thing and also when similar situations occur, your regret, which you have experience gives you a way to tackle it.
Soaking yourself in regret can cause damage to the mind and body, mental illness, chronic stress and self-destruction and so on.
Another way to deal with regret is LETTING IT GO . If there is nothing you can do about it, why getting worried over circumstances you can’t change? It has happened so move on!!! In fact, you committing suicide or hurting yourself will change nothing. Then why not save the stress and divert it into something productive.
Learn from your mistakes. Let go off the past and think about moving forward. Regret makes you old and bitterness punish the people around you. I love this quote that says “there are two eternities that can really break you down – Yesterday and Tomorrow. One is gone and the other doesn’t exist. So live today in a way to forget the yesterday and focus on the tomorrow.”
QUOTES ON REGRET
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way – Henry David
We all make mistakes, have struggles and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles and you are here now with the power to shape your day and future – Steve Maraboli
We all do things we desperately wish we could undo. Those regrets just become part of who we are, along with everything else. To spend time trying to change that, well, it’s like chasing clouds – Libba Bray
*** Comments, contributions and your opinions are welcome***
visit d blog for more educative, inspirational and other good articles
http://creativityworldsite.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Regrets And Your Past by Omotayor123(f): 7:43am On May 21, 2016
Sure! Just forget the past and look at the road ahead.
Re: How To Deal With Regrets And Your Past by cr80vity(m): 8:03am On May 21, 2016
Omotayor123:
Sure! Just forget the past and look at the road ahead.
abi o but yet alot of pple stil find it difficult...dats y I dnt bother myself on anything I know can't change
Re: How To Deal With Regrets And Your Past by Pchikaodili(m): 8:19am On May 21, 2016
Nice write up, But is not always easy, especially those mistakes that will take 4 to 5 years to correct. U Only Need Gods Intervention

(1) (Reply)

You Would Thank Me After You Read This...very Interesting / The Rise Of Stone / 101 Success Wisdom Keys For Winners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.