Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This (1542 Views)

Sincerely Needs A Job To Do / SURVEY REQUEST :would The Ambience Of The Company Matter ? / Please Advice On This New Skill. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by Hardeysolution(m): 2:27pm On May 21, 2016
I am confused. I am a science student or should i say technology student. I am better at Maths, Furthermaths, Chemistry than in Biology. Everyone kept on saying go for medicine, or civil engineering, elect elect. But as for me, i prefer petroleum and gas engineering. I have plans to go for masters in mechanical engineering or civil engineering. I am confused. They are looking at the state of Nigerian economy. Someone should advise me on this. Should i go on with this petroleum and gas engineering?

Cc: Omaj4
Re: Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by Hardeysolution(m): 8:10pm On May 22, 2016
UNIGIST:
Dear Hardeysolution,

The question you asked is one of the worries of many high school graduates who are seeking admission into university.

You stated your preference for petroleum and gas engineering. However, the oil and gas sector is on the decline for two main reasons; the first being the drastic fall in price of crude oil and the second due to the activities of Niger Delta militants who have blown up several pipelines. This has resulted in massive lay-offs of employees in indigenous and multinational oil and gas related companies.

Furthermore, petroleum and gas engineering, to an extent, reduces your degree of flexibility in the labour market except you study towards a master's degree in another course which has a broader application. Hence, I will advise that for your first degree, you study a course that improves and broadens your career prospects; one which is more applicable across more industries and/or sectors of the economy.

Also, regarding what "everyone" is saying, I advise that you follow your heart and travel along the career path you chose rather than that chosen by family and friends. There's nothing wrong with listening to advice but take your decision based on your passion rather than accepting whatever course is suggested to you.

That said, from the subjects you are enthusiastic about (that is, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Chemistry) and considering degree applicability, I would advise that you study Chemical Engineering rather than petroleum and gas engineering. The former is more applicable in the labour market compared to the latter. It gives you access to companies in the following areas/sectors:

- Oil and gas
- Pharmaceuticals
- Breweries
- Energy
- Fast moving consumer goods (FMCG)
- Pulp and paper
- Toileteries
- Fibres and polymers
- Plastic and Metals
- Mining and so on

After your bachelor's degree, you can proceed with your plan to study towards a masters degree in, for example, petroleum and gas engineering.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to send an email to unigistafrica@gmail.com or visit www.unigist.com.ng for a free live chat.

Yours truly,
UNIGIST.
thanks so so so much. I appreciate. But can i go for petroleum and gas for bachelor, then maybe masters in another like, civil engineering?

1 Like

Re: Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 22, 2016
How does civil engineering relate to Petroleum and gas engineering. The first comment contains everything you need to know. You can do first degree in chemical engineering and masters in petroleum or gas engineering because all three are related only that chemical is much broader
Re: Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by Hardeysolution(m): 11:00pm On May 23, 2016
EshemomohLucky:
How does civil engineering relate to Petroleum and gas engineering. The first comment contains everything you need to know. You can do first degree in chemical engineering and masters in petroleum or gas engineering because all three are related only that chemical is much broader
does masters have to do with your bachelor course?
Re: Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by PresVA: 7:00am On May 24, 2016
Hardeysolution:
does masters have to do with your bachelor course?
Yes! You "master" in something you already have prior knowledge of.... you just pick an aspect of your first degree which interests you most, then master in that...

However, there's PGD.. for eg, if you have a bsc in mechanical engineering, you can do a PGD ( normally done for a year, to give you some knowledge about your intending masters course), before you can proceed for masters in maybe chemical engr.....

All d best. .
Re: Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by Hardeysolution(m): 12:27pm On May 24, 2016
PresVA:
Yes! You "master" in something you already have prior knowledge of.... you just pick an aspect of your first degree which interests you most, then master in that...

However, there's PGD.. for eg, if you have a bsc in mechanical engineering, you can do a PGD ( normally done for a year, to give you some knowledge about your intending masters course), before you can proceed for masters in maybe chemical engr.....

All d best. .

so if i go for petroleum eng, can't i go for civil engineering for masters?
Re: Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by PresVA: 2:10pm On May 24, 2016
Hardeysolution:
so if i go for petroleum eng, can't i go for civil engineering for masters?
Someone answered you already na.. how are both related? ? undecided You can't! !

Except you do a PGD...Then, some schools will take you if you have some relevant years of experience in civil engineering. ..
Re: Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by Hardeysolution(m): 3:13pm On May 24, 2016
PresVA:
Someone answered you already na.. how are both related? ? undecided You can't! !

Except you do a PGD...Then, some schools will take you if you have some relevant years of experience in civil engineering. ..
thanks for ur contribution
Re: Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by Hardeysolution(m): 9:45pm On May 27, 2016
UNIGIST:

Hi Hardeysolution,

Sorry for getting back to you late, I am new on Nairaland and didn't see the notification early.

Indeed, you can.

However, it is not advisable to enroll for a masters in a discipline that is unrelated to your bachelor's degree. This is because you will lack prior knowledge in the masters programme- there is a pre-requisite understanding/knowledge of the basics that is expected.

No masters lecturer would teach the basics extensively, and that puts you at a great disadvantage. You will need to put in a great deal of extra effort to achieve success, which will involve studying intensively during your spare time to catch up.

I hope this helps.

If you have a question about career related issues you'd like to share with UNIGIST, kindly send it to this email address: unigistafrica@gmail.com or visit www.unigist.com.ng for a free live chat.

Kind regards,
UNIGIST.
thanks so so so much! I really appreciate

1 Like

Re: Career: I Sincerely Request Advice On This by yacub: 11:01pm On Feb 08, 2017
i am a graduate,,,i studied physics and electronics from the University and i still have an intention to further my masters in a related field,i'm a working class(low income earner) and at the same time a Business man. I graduated about 3years ago and got a job at a small firm as a sales manager of about 8-staff in an internet service provider company...then after about 1 and half year, i started my own small business in internet sales...with the impression that in few years, the business will succeed greatly.

Well the Business is growing gradually but not as to sustain my living..i got a job as a marketer but resigned(cause my career is not in line with marketing) then i decided to dust my CV again by applying for a job in I.T related field in other to add technical knowledge to my business idea so then i can (in a long run) become an IT Business consultant and not an ordinary business man who can go out of business anytime business changes or got sacked whenever he is not making sales for his company.

In God;s favos,I eventually got a job in a financial institution early last year as an IT Support and well i am not really enjoying it cause i feel like i am trapped because Bank Job does not give room to add values or new things perhaps to your like...just keep doing same thing everyday (but a man still need source of income to keep it going).

Meanwhile something keeps telling me that i should go back fully into my Business...i wish if i do go back fully,I can still move ahead in what i have passion for;to further my masters program in I.T...all still wrap around my time and money...,I wanted to settle down happily with my lovely wife but sincerely i don't know where to start my quick race. I AM 30.

ROOM PLEASE I NEED A SINCERE OPINION...your opinion count.

thank you

(1) (Reply)

D. P Resources Interview/Opportunity Briefing / Anyone Know Of An Acca Training Centre On The Island? / Do I Stand A Chance In Labour Market?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.