Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,242 members, 7,853,230 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:52 PM

Because God... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Because God... (325 Views)

Cleric Tasks Congregants To Give Offering In Dollar & Pound Because God Needs Th / Hell Exists Because God Loves You / You Exist Because God Loves You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Because God... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:18pm On May 21, 2016
This story, to an extent, seeks to explain how religion enables psychopaths.

“… No ways in hell will I work with that woman!” Lola shrieked, almost sounding like a wounded bird shot down from a great height while in flight. This inhuman sound made Okey, her assistant, flinch and shudder as if he were in a horror skit.

As a sign of “respect”, he averted his gaze from the caramel-skinned, svelte- almost waiflike- woman in a state of dishabille. With mascara and eyeliner smudged around her eyes, coupled with the way she was throwing a tantrum, one would think she was a six-year-old child trapped in an adult’s body.

In lieu of looking at her, his gaze wandered about the capacious room. For the one millionth time, he took in the room with the air-conditioning unit, beige sofa, mahogany vanity with the oval mirror, clothes strewn around on the floor as if it were bend down select*, chatoyant curtains at the window, and the brown tiles on the floor that looked like the colour of the earth.

If he had his way, he would have quit this job. But, the Lord had called him to serve as an actor. God calls different people differently. They were obligated to follow. Of course, there will be trials and tribulation just like Lola Johnson, however, God would see him through, Okey assured himself. Moreover, this was his first job. Who ever loved their first jobs nowadays? Soon, I will be one of the actors and no one would boss me around this Studio 66.

Before this incident you’re about to read, Studio 66, which used to be located somewhere in Lagos, was one of the successful, thriving film studios that produced world-class drama series.

First, let me take you to the genesis; what caused Okey’s craze. You see, a desperate blind man would see what he wants to see to prove that he can see something.

A week before the commencement of his mandatory three-month internship, which was part of his department’s requirement for graduation, the pastor of his fellowship prophesised the Lord had something big planned for someone in the congregation.
Re: Because God... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:18pm On May 21, 2016
The spirit-filled Man of God preached about God taking someone out of his/her comfort zone. “I know someone here,” the preacher enthused in the anointing-charged hall. “The Lord has a message for you. Very important message.”

He whispered in a pseudo-conspiratory manner like he was about to tell them the Holy Grail’s location, “You have been struggling with something and carrying a load that wasn’t meant for you.”

Raising his voice, he thundered into the microphone thereby filling the hall with an unpleasant whoosh sound, “Today, the Lord is telling you something- leave it!”

As he barked “Fi le*!” he startled the congregation. On seeing awe etched on their faces, he gave them eerie smile and continued. “You can’t hold on to something and expect God to put something else in your hands. Leave your comfort zone! The Lord, my God, is preparing you for something beyond your expectations …”

In that moment, sitting on the plastic blue chair in the hall, Okey was convinced the pastor was referring to him. That message, unlike other messages he had ever received in church, touched his heart and stirred feelings inside him- there was no mistaking it; the Lord ordained and packaged that message for him.

A month had gone by after that prophecy and Okey had visited different engineering firms. Day in, day out, he spent many hours, hours he could have employed for loftier purposes, waiting at office receptions. Still, all his efforts culminated in futility. Okey prayed and fasted. He beseeched the Lord and asked for a sign. At a point, he imagined God had tossed him asides like a chef ordering the kitchen’s garbage boy to toss out thrash from the kitchen with immediate effect. Then again, he remembered the men of faith in the bible and how God tested their mettle. Eventually, it made sense to him. God was testing his faith. More determined than before, he knew he was not going to disappoint God. Hence, Okey grew in fortitude with each passing day.
Re: Because God... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:19pm On May 21, 2016
Eventually, when God was done testing this son of his, when He was sure he had an undying faith in Him, He performed a miracle.

Later that week, a friend suggested that he tried Studio 66. The following week, as God would have it, the studio people called to say that he had been accepted to intern in the engineering department. Okey knew God would never desert him. Didn’t they say the darkest hour of the night is just before dawn?

All he wanted was to be an intern in the engineering department at Studio 66. Nevertheless, somehow, somewhere along the line, the camera and lights and sounds of the Studio beckoned at him; seduced him. And there he was; filled with a sudden raging desire, which quickly tumbled into love, for acting. It was inundating, the feeling. There was no mistaking it. It tugged at his heartstrings and nagged him to be an actor. Every passing day, he craved to be one of those people that stood before the camera, those actors. What allured him most about the camera was the way it transformed normal, regular people with flesh and blood like him to glamorous, glittering stars on television.

Yes! This was it! Although he never previously partook in acting activities anywhere, Okey’s instincts told him acting was the only way he was going to serve the Lord. Three months of “indirectly” learning how to act and learning about camera movements went by in what seemed like two seconds and the internship was over. Saying goodbye to Studio 66 was the step forward but he felt intense melancholy as he toyed with the idea of leaving Studio 66. The feeling was akin to breaking up with a loved one after sharing many blissful days and passionate nights. No. He had to remain in the studio. How else would he fulfil his destiny?
Re: Because God... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:19pm On May 21, 2016
Confused was he. He needed clarity, veracity, that Studio 66 was his purpose in life. Embarking on a three-day fast to seek the face of God was the only solution. Two hours into the fast, God plainly told him to continue at Studio 66. Yet, Meticulous Okey wanted to be sure. He completed the fast despite hearing from God on Day One. On the third day, God reassured him. That was all he needed. Through Machiavellian machinations, he retained his job. It was wrong but he assured himself that Abraham also lied. He worked part time while the studio paid him stipends. As each second ticked by, his fantasies of becoming an actor were slowly crystallizing into reality.

Even after school, when he manipulated his NYSC posting in order to remain in Lagos; he rationalised this as what God wanted. In no time, Okey became one of the studio assistants after his service. The manager assured him of an inevitable promotion. It didn’t matter; he was going to start small. Like Jacob, who also had a humble beginning, Okey was going to wrestle to climb to highest rung of the ladder.

God ostensibly saw his efforts and in an unprecedented development, the studio manager made him Actor’s On-Set Personal Assistant. Were there any doubt lurking around the corners of his mind, were there any reason why he felt being an actor might not have been his calling, the promotion cleared it the way broom clears cobwebs.

In the depths of his heart, he knew his purpose here was to fulfil his destiny. God had told him so. Disobeying the voice of God was a sin; Okey was going to be righteous all the days of his life. He was sure of his purpose the same way men and women of God knew God called them out of the crowd to serve him; the same way God asked some politicians to run for political posts after assuring them of victory. As if he needed more verisimilitude as to if this was his destiny, there were destiny destroyers in his path- women.

Lola Johnson, the pompous actor, who happened to be his first “direct” boss, was one of them.

Ever since the woman came on set for Broken Paradise, everything went awry for him. She nagged here and there and everywhere. She even nagged in his dreams- it was that bad. She was the potholes on his road to success. With time, God would do something about it. After all, he prepareth a table before us in the presence of our enemies.
Re: Because God... by SunehriLasgidi(f): 7:20pm On May 21, 2016
Amarachukwu, his ex-girlfriend, was another.

The wench had entreated and pleaded with him almost on a daily basis, to try getting a job at an engineering firm since he was an engineer. How could he be a mere PA? To make it worse, Studio 66 wasn’t paying much. They had a future to plan if they were to get married. Okey would have none of her nonsense. God had called him to be an actor to glorify his name, he explained to her. With time, he would rise through the ranks and be the owner of Studio 66. When that happened, Studio 66 would only produce Christian series. Alas! The devil had veiled her eyes from seeing the glorious future. The moment God assured him that he didn’t need a spiritually blind woman in his life, he called it quits with her.

“A woman is meant to be a help mate. Not an antagonist,” he justified leaving his ex. After all, he was following God’s will. Leave everything behind and follow me. That part of the scripture came to his mind as he stood in the air-conditioned dressing room. Her loss, he smiled as he shook his head. I’m on my way to become a renowned Nollywood star.”

“Are you shaking your head at me?”Lola thundered thereby yanking him down from the train that his thoughts were smugly seated.

“N-n-no, ma,” Okey stuttered as if he were a child caught stealing meat from a pot of soup. “I-I-”

“I-I,” his boss mimicked as she tilted her head from left to right. “See your mouth like ‘I-I’. ‘I’ for Iron. Iron Man. Man of Steel. Stammering Stanley. You cannot talk again. Cat got your tongue. Cat Man. Eric Cartman of South Park. Well, done! You can now shake your head at me,” Lola said with a wry smile while mimicking an online comedian that everyone seemed to love at the time.

Venomously, she launched into a spiel,

YOU CAN READ MORE ON http://www.thefemmemedia.com/literature/because-god/
Re: Because God... by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 21, 2016
Interesting.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Celleral Eye Gel Works / Please... Can You Help Promote My Work? Thank You / Worry No More.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.