Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

My Embarassing Professional Exam! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Embarassing Professional Exam! (1848 Views)

What Management Professional Exam Is Ideal To Start With As A Banker? / ATSWA/ICAN Professional Exam Lectures In Ibadan / ACCA Professional Exam June 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Embarassing Professional Exam! by adanny01(m): 9:56am On May 23, 2016
I enrolled for April 2016 diet of the Nigerian Society of Engineers exam in the process of obtaining COREN certification. I finally decided to do it because my friends and younger engrs would leave me behind in the career pursuit. In particular, my secondary school boy (junior) who later read the same course like me sat for the Sept 2015 diet but failed National Essay. He was to resit with us. This guy respects me alot and i love him like a brother.

During the course of preparations, seminars and sort, we were warned of an embarassing event that happened with the Sept 2015 diet when an external examiner caught a candidate cheating with a phone. The center was embarassed and the guy disqualified even though he passed. The story was told to us over and over again as emphasis to avoid repitition of that event.

On exam day, we were told the same story again when we sat down for the exam. The warning was resounded and particularly because the center does not want to be on the watch list for malpractice.

5 mins into the paper and before the arrival of the external examiner, i heard the center examiner shout "hey you", "what do you think you are doing"? The examiner caught a guy browsing his phone for answers. We all burst into laughter talking between use who could be so daft not to heed to the repeated warnings. The guy's phone was seized and he was sent out. I sat in the second row and the guy came from behind while people still laughed at the guy for being so stupid. Unfortunately, the only exit was through the front where every one will have a very good look at him. I imagine the kind of shame the guy must have been going through going out.

When i caught glimpse of the guy, i bent my head down as if i was concentrating on my answer booklet. The shame of the guy was transfered to me when i realised it was my boy whom we chatted before entering the hall. I prayed he didnt see me on his way out so that not to compound his shame.

He was later allowed to continue before the external examiner comes and starts asking questions on a missing candidate who had signed in on the attendance.

He wrote only 1paper so he left before me. Am now worried on how our next meeting be. I wonder why an engr employed by the FG will resort to this, then i saw the news of a lady associate prof. In law who had to resign her presidential board membership because she was caught cheating on her second masters degree examinations.

The rate of exam malpractice in Nigeria is alarming. My low grade undergraduate cert is a true reflection of what and the level i read while i saw classmates who were children of senators with better results than me colaborating with each other to get good grades.

Whats the way forward Nairalanders?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarassing Professional Exam! by adinoyiM(m): 8:29am On Oct 21, 2016
The reason is simple. We place too much emphasis on paper qualifications and grades in this country. I think exam malpractice is a reflection of the kind of society we live in wherein we love to cut corners in every sphere of life. Everyone wants to make it in life even if at the expense of others. Stiffer penalties could help but who will enforce them. Even by your account the candidate was let off at the end of the day.

By the way, nice to meet a fellow ENGR. Hope your exams were okay. I also wanted to apply for Apr or Sept 2016 diet of NSE but couldn't due to financial constraints. I hope to do so next year God willing.
Re: My Embarassing Professional Exam! by amicable09(f): 12:46pm On Oct 21, 2016
Examination malpractice is a cankerworm that has eaten deep into our educational system. Imagine the shock on my face when I read that it was your protégé who was caught with his phone in the hall. I can feel the embarrassment from here myself. When I saw the topic, I thought it would be you who got caught cheesy. I'm sorry I thought that way but the reality in itself, realizing it isn't you is even more embarrassing.

The way forward is addressing the root cause of the problem and that starts from our primary schools. My 9 year old nephew wrote common entrance exam in a different school since his school insisted he stayed till basic 6. He'd written a lot of exams organized by the secondary schools of his choice and the results were all good. His confidence in passing common entrance was high but on the day he wrote the exam and returned home, he frowned all through. Why? Because he wasn't given a question booklet but answer sheet to shade answers. How was that possible? The answers were called out while they (pupils) shaded the answers.

I felt terrible when I heard it. He's going to retake that exam cos his parents have refused to let him grow up thinking it's normal and therefore right. I just fear for the other many children who were with him in that hall. I'm worried about the ripple effect that single act will have on the society in decades to come.
Re: My Embarassing Professional Exam! by wroskian(m): 10:01pm On Oct 21, 2016
[b]Honestly, this exam malpractice of a thing is now rampant, it simply shows we have lost our values, we no longer uphold integrity in this part of the world.

Private schools cum miracle centres put the future of the younger generation in jeopardy in a bid to make name and money, parents buy results for their wards to demonstrate that they "want the best" for them. This is the reason why we'll continue to produce killers in white overalls in the name of doctors, experience more buildings collapsing due to influx of quacks into the engineering profession, having lazy and incompetent teachers in our schools, having incompetent and corrupt leadership...etcetera. The government should do something about exam malpractice in the education sector especially in private schools by making all stake holders accountable before we get to a point-of-no-return.

Op, if you trace the history of your protegé, he has been doing it right from when he was young, probably secondary school. It is really shameful.

Amicable09, I like the fact that we still have people of integrity in this country, judging from your post, you are one. wink
[/b]

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Embarassing Professional Exam! by amicable09(f): 10:49pm On Oct 21, 2016
Lol. Wroskian, I just bit my tongue now cheesy. The thing I wanted to say now to you ehn? Lol, it would have caused a love spark grin

You've written well but did I hear you say the government should look into private schools by making them more accountable? Well, I think public schools are the breeding ground for this malaise. Even though I do not rule out private schools completely but it seems to me that it is more condoned in Public schools where anything goes than in private schools.
Re: My Embarassing Professional Exam! by wroskian(m): 9:47pm On Oct 22, 2016
amicable09:
Lol. Wr.oskian, I just bit my tongue now cheesy. The thing I wanted to say now to you ehn? Lol, it would have caused a love spark grin
Oya now...let there be sparkling sparks of love. grin
amicable09:
You've written well but did I hear you say the government should look into private schools by making them more accountable? Well, I think public schools are the breeding ground for this malaise. Even though I do not rule out private schools completely but it seems to me that it is more condoned in Public schools where anything goes than in private schools.
Yes, I did say the government should wade into this situation in the education sector especially in private schools by making all stakeholders accountable, this is not exonerating public schools.
While the government has total control of public schools, they also have at least regulatory control over the privately owned ones. Let me explain a bit:

In every local government, there are LIE offices from where personnels are deployed to monitor the activities of private schools in their LG. For instance, before any private school is approved to conduct external exams, LIE officers are supposed to make recommendations to the exam body after they might have visited (with prior notice) the school and assessed the state of facilities (classrooms, toilets, exam halls, laboratories et.al) and quality of man-power.
Do you know what actually happens? The owner of the school is expected to "take good care" of the inspection team by providing meals and cash gifts for EVERY member of the team after paying the statutory fees into government coffers or risk victimization. Once the owner dances to the tune of the inspectors and at least has a building called "school," then he/she is sure to receive government approval. I am writing this from what I have both heard and seen and not common talk. I must also say not all private schools go through this, that is why I will classify them:

1. First Class Private Schools "A": They have well built and equipped structures, organizational structure is superb and staffers are well remunerated. Such schools are owned by the high and mighty in the society and they don't have to bribe anyone for government approval. Discipline is top-notch and students don't need to be "assisted" to pass exams because they are well prepared. Admission into such schools is very competitive.
First Class Private Schools "B": They are also well run and structured. Parents get value for their money; fees are more affordable than their A counterparts. Some "assist" their candidates to make sure they pass.

2. Second Class Private Schools: They own their buildings which might not be well equipped because their focus is on making profits. Because population is more important, students are not admitted on merit & not well groomed for external exams. They are special centres where students are "assisted" to pass exams.

3. Third Class Private Schools: They operate in rented apartments, you find kerosene stoves in place of bunsen burners here cheesy Students' population is more important than quality of education, the owner's major aim is to move to permanent site asap. Here, you will find the best runz centres. The school lacks proper organizational structure and teachers are treated like slaves.
NOTE: I am not against starting a school in a rented building.

Amy, second and third class private schools are all over the place and they carry out their activities with reckless abandon even with cooperation from parents because some government officials have refused to do their jobs from scratch. This is contributing to the rot in the system.

On the other hand, public schools are just what they are - breeding grounds for exam malpractices - much shouldn't be expected from them until the government decides to overhaul the whole system.
This is the unfortunate state of our education sector which in my opinion should be one of the most regulated sectors.

I hope we are not detailing this thread with this.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PHOTO: Meet Ebonyi State First SAN- Professor Amari Omaka / 2021 Huawei Nigeria Graduate Trainee Program : First Stage Of Interview / Career Change Ideas - 7 Ways To Find Out What You Really Want To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.