Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop (47086 Views)

Help! My Laptop is now forever displaying "Hibernating" / Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? / Does Hibernating A Laptop Diminish Overall Battery Life Over Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by walex25(m): 12:12pm On Aug 20, 2009
Hi Folks.
  I normally put my laptop in hibernation every time i dont want to use the system. But I had a friend that was trying to convince me that Hibernation normally cause problem to laptop board. But he didnt give genuine reason.

But i want to know may be is true or not.
so any body with any idea should contribute pls.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 20, 2009
hibernation will cause no problems whatsoever - however, if you are using windows xp sp2, and have more than 1gb of ram, your system's hiberation will be hit and miss unless you down load an update
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by rossoneri(m): 3:15pm On Aug 20, 2009
Hibernation is something useful only when you have the PC plugged into the wall continually. For a laptop, hibernation is something that I only use when I have no other options in order to not lose work.

The major downside to hibernation is that it consumes your battery and reduces the battery life. Overusing the feature won’t quickly eat away at your battery, but do it every day of the week and you’ll soon discover your PC isn’t quite pulling the amount of time it could before.

Well one thing is sure it will reduce the life span of your battery.

So do it only when its necessary otherwise shutdown please!!
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by ritchboy(m): 5:13pm On Aug 20, 2009
The major downside to hibernation is that it consumes your battery and reduces the battery life. Overusing the feature won’t quickly eat away at your battery, but do it every day of the week and you’ll soon discover your PC isn’t quite pulling the amount of time it could before.

Well one thing is sure it will reduce the life span of your battery.

it seems uve mistaken HIBERNATION with SLEEP(stand-by in XP).

while putting ur computer to sleep consumes VERY little of ur battery, HIBERNATION consumes the same amount of ur battery as shutting down would, which is practically NOTHING! cheesy

correct me if i'm wrong smiley

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by skydancer: 11:44pm On Aug 20, 2009
walex the only disdvantage of hibernation is that it does not reload your system's drivers. Also it's not advisable to hibernate when you are running heavy applications. This is because an error could occur in the application especially if it's one that has many threads. There's nothing like shorting your battery and crazy stuff like that. I only shutdown when I install a software or driver and things like that. Standby is more preferable to me though.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by sleekdot(m): 5:04pm On Aug 21, 2009
ritchboy:

it seems uve mistaken HIBERNATION with SLEEP(stand-by in XP).

while putting your computer to sleep consumes VERY little of your battery, HIBERNATION consumes the same amount of your battery as shutting down would, which is practically NOTHING! cheesy

correct me if i'm wrong smiley
Thats it nothing more
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by hansibone(m): 5:51pm On Aug 21, 2009
one major disadvantage of hibernation is it eats up system memory space, trying to save ur page file,

so if you see ur harddisk size shrink, your hibernation pagefile is eating it,

thats the only one i know, as for eating up battery life, nope hibernation is just the same as shutting down, but with a cutting edge of allowing you store your current processes at that moment,

as for the driver issues, update ur OS, and your hibernation would be doing fine,

VBR
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by platinumnk(f): 5:55pm On Aug 21, 2009
Hibernation does eat up space, i use it every day.

Is there way you can clean the hibernation file and start over?
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by hansibone(m): 6:01pm On Aug 21, 2009
@platinumnk

you could clean it up by using your disk cleanup tool and look out for hibernation page file, thats all
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by platinumnk(f): 6:06pm On Aug 21, 2009
But they said if i clean it then the hibernation would deactivate, and I dont want it to. so what do i do?

I just wanna clean it, then start doing the hibernation again
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 21, 2009
first off , hibernation eats up 3gb of space . thats about it. it does not increrase or decrease, and does not require cleaning. the hibernation file is a syetm file that reside in the root of dive c and is named hyberfil.sys . there are some utilities that can delete it.

so if you see your harddisk size shrink, your hibernation pagefile is eating it,

the real eater of hard disk space is restore points. you need to set the maximum pace allocated to syetm restore. in xp and windos 7, this is straightforward, but in vista, it has to be done from the cmd window

the other eater is crap temporary files. get ccleaner for those

1 Like

Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by skydancer: 7:41pm On Aug 21, 2009
oyb:

first off , hibernation eats up 3gb of space . thats about it. it does not increrase or decrease, and does not require cleaning. the hibernation file is a syetm file that reside in the root of dive c and is named hyberfil.sys . there are some utilities that can delete it.

the real eater of hard disk space is restore points. you need to set the maximum pace allocated to syetm restore. in xp and windos 7, this is straightforward, but in vista, it has to be done from the cmd window

the other eater is crap temporary files. get ccleaner for those

Thank God there are some sensible computer operators in nairaland

1 Like

Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by deji2009(m): 12:16am On Aug 22, 2009
The disadvantage of hibernating your laptop or pc is that it uses lots of disk space and suystem resources. it can however, be disabled and re-enabled. hope I was helpful, Deji sunday
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by deji2009(m): 12:19am On Aug 22, 2009
system restore takes 12% of the hard drive space. I"ll rather sacrifice that for system restore instead for hibernate, Deji sunday
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by skydancer: 1:05am On Aug 22, 2009
That sure depends on how much hard drive and ram you are using. I did say it takes 1% of my disk space.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by ogbronx(m): 10:12am On Aug 22, 2009
putting your system to sleep or hibernation does nothing to your system negatively.i put mine on hibernate always.take it from an IT expert.sleep only consumes your battery cos your system is not totally off.your ram is still supplied a small amount of electricity to maintain your work while in hibernation,your system is completely off and does absolutely nothing to your battery.your work or system state is saved in your harddrive.system designers that put those features there know what they are doing jare.no fear!
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by deji2009(m): 10:28am On Aug 22, 2009
certainly
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by eazybuzy(m): 11:51am On Aug 22, 2009
Hibernation does not damage your p.c. it has no adverse effect on a p.c. The only issue is that the hibernate function is mounted on about 2GB of your hard disk, it does not even run on your RAM, when you put your p.c. to hibernation, it is like telling the P.C. to shut down but save what it is doing at the moment. Though sometimes your P.C. might respond slowly after a long while of hibernation so it is advisable to shut down once in a while or at best restart a system after it has come out of hibernation. On the issue of hard disk wasting due to restore point storage of hibernation you canget some software that will help with deleting restore points after use. i use Tuneup 2009 for this.and it is very nice it even does some other other system maintanence for me.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Sequoia(m): 12:23pm On Aug 22, 2009
during a system clean up to free hard disk space, i somehow deleted my hibernate files and since then i have not been able to hibernate. pls how do i restore this feature?
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by walex25(m): 12:50pm On Aug 22, 2009
Thanks.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Epi: 2:06pm On Aug 22, 2009
WOW!!! thanks for letting me know about hibernate because I am a culprit(maybe y my com is slowing down ). Is sleep safe or it's best to log off?. Below is what my comp. say about sleep and hybernate, .wow mon!

hibernate - saves your session and turns off the computer. when you turn on the computer, windows restores your session

sleep: keep your session in memory and puts the computer in low power state so that you can quickly resume working
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by rareman(m): 2:46pm On Aug 22, 2009
so how do i hibernate my laptop, supposing i am a novice with system application
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 22, 2009
Epi, where have u been, i was hoping to catch you on fb one of these dayz!

Hi y'all. To restore your hibernate: go to dos.

Step 1:
If windows xp then
use logo key + R || task manager->run || start -> programs ->Accessories->command prompt

else if windows vista

Start ->programs->accessories -> right click on command prompt and open wit elevated privileges

end if

Step 2:

if windows xp then

powercfg /hibernate: on

else if windows vista then

powercfg /hibernate on

else

try both commands

end if

. . . . .have a nice day. . . .
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by UyiIredia(m): 4:13pm On Aug 22, 2009
all this technical jargons >>> all b'cos of
hibernation >>> make una free d thin' grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Olive234(m): 6:27pm On Aug 22, 2009
There is no big deal in hibernation.it only put ur system on a low power state so that it doesn't consume much power n it stores d work u ar doing on ur system temporarily so dat wen u resume it u see d page u ar previously on b4 hibernatin.it is nt a shut down.to log off completely jst shut down don't use hibernate as it'll consume ur battery power.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by greateliso(m): 6:37pm On Aug 22, 2009
hibernation does not cause any harm to system wink
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Sweetdoct247(m): 1:28am On Aug 23, 2009
There's absolutely nothing wrong with hibernation. All it basically does is write your current session on your hard disk and then shuts your system down. COMPLETELY. So next time u boot up windows loads up that session for u immediately. It hence doesnt place any demand on your battery like sleep or standby.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by skydancer: 8:35am On Aug 23, 2009
Enough experts on nairaland
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Witi(m): 8:51am On Aug 23, 2009
*dhtml:

Epi, where have u been, i was hoping to catch you on fb one of these dayz!

Hi y'all. To restore your hibernate: go to dos.

Step 1:
If windows xp then
use logo key + R || task manager->run || start -> programs ->Accessories->command prompt

else if windows vista

Start ->programs->accessories -> right click on command prompt and open wit elevated privileges

end if

Step 2:

if windows xp then

powercfg /hibernate: on

else if windows vista then

powercfg /hibernate on

else

try both commands

end if

. . . . .have a nice day. . . .

Please I have similar problem but am using Vista. How do I restore my Hibernation feature back?
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by hansibone(m): 5:47pm On Aug 23, 2009
@oyb

u can actualy increase ur allocation for the hibernation page file, as for windows update, it does not take that much, but it doesnt and it is worth the sacrifice,

hibernating is good, but disable it to use the space occupied by the hibernation page file,
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by segzicres(m): 6:43pm On Aug 23, 2009
hibernation does not touch your battery life, try it by removing your battery after use. nothing will change. but the guy that said some'in about those with their ram higher than 1gb. which update is that?
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by guysmat(m): 7:20am On Aug 24, 2009
No disadvantage except extracting at least 1 - 2Gb of space from your hard drive for Page File use. (That's not your headache unless your hard drive is less than 5Gb  undecided )

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Browse With The 3GB That Comes With My Glo Comonth BIS Plan / √√ Huawei Old/New Modem Unlocking Codes Request [ ONLY HERE ] / Post Your Laptop Problem Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.