Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Economics Students Should See How I Did This! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Economics Students Should See How I Did This! (1010 Views)

Top 5 Ways Nigerian Students Should Not Make Money / Uniabuja Economics Students Sign Out In Style, Storm Gwagwalada Major Road / 10 Underrated Courses Nigerian Students Should Consider Choosing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Economics Students Should See How I Did This! by SlimShaddy10(m): 10:11pm On May 23, 2016
Derivation Of Equation Which Depicts The Relationship Between A Monopolist Marginal Revenue And Price Elasticity Of Demand.

In most of the text books, the proof for a monopolist marginal revenue seems too hard to understand by students of economics. This may be due to their way of explanation.

In this write-up, I give a well explained means of proving such an equation, with the objective of Making economics students of various institutions happy.

See the equation in the mathematical capsule 2.0.

Mr = P( 1 - 1 / e) ................2.0

Here, Mr represents marginal revenue ; P represents price of a good ; e denotes elasticity of demand.

Proof:

Step 1 : we establish the revenue (total revenue) equation which is given as,

Tr = Pq.............1

Here, Tr is total revenue ; P is price of a good ; q is quantity bought.

Also, for a continuous function, elasticity of demand is given as,

E = - (dp/dq) x (p/q)...........2

It is possible to create a proper linear equations by manipulating the equations given above.

Step 2:

Totally differentiate equation one. That is, differentiating the revenue equation with respect to quantity q. Thus we have,

dTr / dq =( pdq/dq ) + ( qdp/dq )

dTr/dq = P + q( dp/dq)

Recall! Marginal revenue is given as change in total revenue divided by change in quantity. So, for a continuous function, marginal revenue is the first derivative of a total revenue with respect to quantity.

Thus,

Mr = dTr / dq =

Now, we replace dTr/dq with Mr. That is,

Mr = P + q(dp/dq)

Mr - q ( dp/dq) = P...........3

Here, P is treated as a constant ; (dp/dq) is treated as a variable with 'q' as its coefficient ; Mr is treated as a variable with a unity coefficient.

Step 3:

Take the reciprocal of equation 2. That's the elasticity equation. Thus we have,

1/e = - (dp/dq) x (q/p)

Multiply by - p/q to have

- P / eq = dp/dq

dp / dq = - p / eq...........4

Here, dp / dq is a variable while -p / eq is a constant.

At this point, it is very obvious that we have managed to form a proper first degree equation which is kept in a standard form.

Since the equations are two, we can then apply any method of our choice such as substitution method,elimination method,etc.

For me, I prefer matrix transformation.

To do this, I create an augmented matrix,i.e,

( 1 -q) ( -p ).....R1
( 0 1) ( - p/eq ).....R2

So, our aim is to transform the square regular matrix into a reduced row echelon form called a total triangular matrix. After I have derived such a matrix, I take the entries of the column matrix as the values of Mr and dp/dq.

Now I start row reduction.

Since the first entry of R2 is 0, and the second entry is one,then dp/dq is got already,i.e,

dp/dq = - p / eq.

But this value is ignored since it has no definition in economics.

Now, make -q ( the second element of R1) zero.
We can achieve this by multiplying R2 by q and adding the result to R1. That is,

R1 + qR2

( 1 0 ) ( p + (- pq /eq) )
( 0 1 ) ( -p/eq )
At this point, the square matrix is in a reduced row echelon form by Gauss-Jordan method.
The first entry of the column vector is now the value of Mr. That is,

Mr = P - ( pq / eq)
We cancel out q to have

Mr = P - P/e

We factor out P to have

Mr = P ( 1 - 1 / e )
Q.E.D

I know this helps!

By Makasi Chinedu (Bsc economics)
University Of portharcourt
Re: Economics Students Should See How I Did This! by dozie3030: 2:07pm On May 24, 2016
SlimShaddy10:
Derivation Of Equation Which Depicts The Relationship Between A Monopolist Marginal Revenue And Price Elasticity Of Demand.

In most of the text books, the proof for a monopolist marginal revenue seems too hard to understand by students of economics. This may be due to their way of explanation.

In this write-up, I give a well explained means of proving such an equation, with the objective of Making economics students of various institutions happy.

See the equation in the mathematical capsule 2.0.

Mr = P( 1 - 1 / e) ................2.0

Here, Mr represents marginal revenue ; P represents price of a good ; e denotes elasticity of demand.

Proof:

Step 1 : we establish the revenue (total revenue) equation which is given as,

Tr = Pq.............1

Here, Tr is total revenue ; P is price of a good ; q is quantity bought.

Also, for a continuous function, elasticity of demand is given as,

E = - (dp/dq) x (p/q)...........2

It is possible to create a proper linear equations by manipulating the equations given above.

Step 2:

Totally differentiate equation one. That is, differentiating the revenue equation with respect to quantity q. Thus we have,

dTr / dq =( pdq/dq ) + ( qdp/dq )

dTr/dq = P + q( dp/dq)

Recall! Marginal revenue is given as change in total revenue divided by change in quantity. So, for a continuous function, marginal revenue is the first derivative of a total revenue with respect to quantity.

Thus,

Mr = dTr / dq =

Now, we replace dTr/dq with Mr. That is,

Mr = P + q(dp/dq)

Mr - q ( dp/dq) = P...........3

Here, P is treated as a constant ; (dp/dq) is treated as a variable with 'q' as its coefficient ; Mr is treated as a variable with a unity coefficient.

Step 3:

Take the reciprocal of equation 2. That's the elasticity equation. Thus we have,

1/e = - (dp/dq) x (q/p)

Multiply by - p/q to have

- P / eq = dp/dq

dp / dq = - p / eq...........4

Here, dp / dq is a variable while -p / eq is a constant.

At this point, it is very obvious that we have managed to form a proper first degree equation which is kept in a standard form.

Since the equations are two, we can then apply any method of our choice such as substitution method,elimination method,etc.

For me, I prefer matrix transformation.

To do this, I create an augmented matrix,i.e,

( 1 -q) ( -p ).....R1
( 0 1) ( - p/eq ).....R2

So, our aim is to transform the square regular matrix into a reduced row echelon form called a total triangular matrix. After I have derived such a matrix, I take the entries of the column matrix as the values of Mr and dp/dq.

Now I start row reduction.

Since the first entry of R2 is 0, and the second entry is one,then dp/dq is got already,i.e,

dp/dq = - p / eq.

But this value is ignored since it has no definition in economics.

Now, make -q ( the second element of R1) zero.
We can achieve this by multiplying R2 by q and adding the result to R1. That is,

R1 + qR2

( 1 0 ) ( p + (- pq /eq) )
( 0 1 ) ( -p/eq )
At this point, the square matrix is in a reduced row echelon form by Gauss-Jordan method.
The first entry of the column vector is now the value of Mr. That is,

Mr = P - ( pq / eq)
We cancel out q to have

Mr = P - P/e

We factor out P to have

Mr = P ( 1 - 1 / e )
Q.E.D

I know this helps!

By Makasi Chinedu (Bsc economics)
University Of portharcourt

Are you a final year student, about graduating? or you are an undergraduate student facing challenges with your undergraduate research or your undergraduate final year project?

Welcome to the VersityProject Community where all research, project topics, research materials, final year projects, graduating students projects and research is handled and properly delivered with no pain. Feel free to peruse through our very rich and large library and archive of projects, research materials and tools to aid your work.

We offer rich research content in several areas and departments, below are some readily available materials and project topics for free:

1. Accounting Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
2. Banking and Finance Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
3. Business Administration Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
4. Chemistry Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
5. Computer Science Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
6. Economics Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
7. English Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
8. Education Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
9. History Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
10. Marketing Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
11. Mass Communication Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
12. Micro-biology Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
13. Physics Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
14. Political Science Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
15. Public Administration Department Undergraduate and Final Year Project Topics
16. Software implementations
and more....

Project with implementations are also available at VersityProject.com

Feel free to contact our help desk at our Contact Page or Call Us: +234 (0) 803 367 0721. Reach us via email at support@versityproject.com.

Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/versityproject (@versityproject)
Find Us on Facebook at https://facebook.com/versityproject

Take your educational journey with a smile.

(1) (Reply)

Scholarship : Apply For NNPC/ Shell Undergraduate Scholarship 2016/17 / ERGP Document Download.pdf / NASU, , SSANU, And NAAT Vowed To Enforce Their Ongoing Strike.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.