Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,047 members, 7,849,234 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 04:54 PM

Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation (824 Views)

Female Student Electrocuted At Rivers State University (Photo) / WAEC Result Of The Girl Electrocuted In Lagos After Writing WAEC / N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by Topestbilly(m): 9:43am On May 24, 2016
Samson Folarin

The family of Oluchi Anekwe, a 300-level student of Accounting in the University of Lagos, who was electrocuted by a live wire on the school premises, has been paid N45m as compensation.

A source told PUNCH Metro that the money was paid after the Eko Electricity Distribution Company reached a non-disclosure agreement with the victim’s family.

Our correspondent had reported in September 2015 that Oluchi, a first class student of UNILAG, was electrocuted at about 7pm, while returning from an evening mass with her younger sister.

Oluchi had reportedly entered the Eni Njoku Hall to buy an item and was walking out of the hostel when a high-tension wire fell on her.

The remains of the Igbo-Etiti, Enugu State indigene, were buried shortly after.

The Federal Government also set up a panel to investigate the death.

A Lagos-based human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, reportedly took up the case and wrote EKEDC, asking that the firm compensate the family or risk litigation.

It was gathered that after series of meetings, the power firm buckled and settled with the family.

A credible source told our correspondent that the firm paid N45m to the family.

He said, “They agreed and paid N45m in a non-disclosure agreement. This means the agreement is not to be disclosed to the public. It is supposed to be a private arrangement between the company and the girl’s family.

“The reasoning is that if it is publicised, it could encourage people who have similar grievances to insist on monetary settlements. That might not augur well for the company. The victim’s younger sister has also been flown abroad for treatment for the injuries she sustained in the incident.”

When contacted, Oluchi’s father, Chief Basil Anekwe, refused to confirm if any money was paid to his family, saying instead that the victim’s younger sister was abandoned in an American hospital.

He said, “Which money are you talking about? Where did you get the information? Well, I don’t have an idea of what you are talking about; I am in Enugu right now.”

When PUNCH Metro probed further if the family had received any payment, he said, “Do not ask me because I do not know you. You cannot hear anything from me. Go and confirm from the person that gave you the information. Write that I said I have nothing to say about it.

“I stopped the negotiation process because my daughter was abandoned in an American hospital and I had to go and get her.”

Falana, whose chamber reportedly mediated in the process, could not be reached for comment despite efforts by our correspondent.

But the General Manager, Corporate Communications, EKEDC, Idemudia Godwin, confirmed that there was a settlement, adding that it was not for the public.

He said, “We have settled out of court. We don’t have any issue with the family again.

“I think we want it private; we don’t want it publicised and the family also does not want it published.”

Godwin, however, expressed surprise at the allegation that the company abandoned Oluchi’s sister in an American hospital, saying he was not aware of such.

Source: punchnews

Cc: lalasticlala

Cc: mynd44

Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by gisthit: 9:44am On May 24, 2016
May her gentle soul rest in peace,But money cannot bring her back.

1 Like

Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by duullie88(m): 9:50am On May 24, 2016
eyah.. sad news.. at least the family got sometin to set up dem selves

1 Like

Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by ANIEXTY(m): 9:50am On May 24, 2016
Money cant buy life.
Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by CaptainEColeJnr: 10:06am On May 24, 2016
after how many months? undecided

and to think she was on a first class... chai.. her village people don get her"

Pray.. and Pray.. if dem gather against us,the Lord go send down fire and they shall flee in seven ways
Amen!
Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by Topestbilly(m): 10:19am On May 24, 2016
gisthit:
May her gentle soul rest in peace,But money cannot bring her back.

Yeah.. but d money will go a very long way.
Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by Nobody: 10:26am On May 24, 2016
Some mum be like:

"Where were you when electric was 'shocking' your mate?" grin
Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by hpk(m): 10:27am On May 24, 2016
baba god pick up my call ohhh!!!
**moonwalks outta thread**
Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by Swissheart(f): 10:31am On May 24, 2016
Ehyah.
Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by Topestbilly(m): 11:04am On May 24, 2016
ANIEXTY:
Money cant buy life.

Rejecting the money can't buy life either.

Mention other things money cannot buy?
Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by Nobody: 11:06am On May 24, 2016
hpk:
baba god pick up my call ohhh!!!

**moonwalks outta thread**

Baba God should pick ur call how? u wan make electric shock u dead make them give ur family 45m. beta get sense

2 Likes

Re: Electrocuted UNILAG Undergraduate’s Family Gets N45m Compensation by hpk(m): 7:58pm On May 24, 2016
TheSpecial0ne:

Baba God should pick ur call how? u wan make electric shock u dead make them give ur family 45m. beta get sense
E CONCERN YOU? APROKO!!! SHIORRR!!!

(1) (Reply)

*** / BREAKING: FG Scraps Common Entrance Into Federal Government Colleges / Funaab Screening Exercise Has Just Been Postponed,is This True Plz?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.