Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation (30650 Views)

UNILORIN Elects Medical Student As Its Student Union President. / Guys Kiss & Grab Boobs Of Osun College Of Education Student As They Graduate / Picture Of A Teacher Presenting A Pant To A Student As A Prize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by 9jacodedgist(m): 9:08am On May 24, 2016
The family of Oluchi Anekwe, a 300-level student of Accounting in the University of Lagos, who was electrocuted by a live wire on the school premises, has been paid N45m as compensation.

A source told PUNCH Metro that the money was paid after the Eko Electricity Distribution Company reached a non-disclosure agreement with the victim’s family.

Our correspondent had reported in September 2015 that Oluchi, a first class student of UNILAG, was electrocuted at about 7pm, while returning from an evening mass with her younger sister.

Oluchi had reportedly entered the Eni Njoku Hall to buy an item and was walking out of the hostel when a high-tension wire fell on her.

The remains of the Igbo-Etiti, Enugu State indigene, were buried shortly after.

The Federal Government also set up a panel to investigate the death.

A Lagos-based human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, reportedly took up the case and wrote EKEDC, asking that the firm compensate the family or risk litigation.

It was gathered that after series of meetings, the power firm buckled and settled with the family.

A credible source told our correspondent that the firm paid N45m to the family.

He said, “They agreed and paid N45m in a non-disclosure agreement. This means the agreement is not to be disclosed to the public. It is supposed to be a private arrangement between the company and the girl’s family.

“The reasoning is that if it is publicised, it could encourage people who have similar grievances to insist on monetary settlements. That might not augur well for the company. The victim’s younger sister has also been flown abroad for treatment for the injuries she sustained in the incident.”

When contacted, Oluchi’s father, Chief Basil Anekwe, refused to confirm if any money was paid to his family, saying instead that the victim’s younger sister was abandoned in an American hospital.

He said, “Which money are you talking about? Where did you get the information? Well, I don’t have an idea of what you are talking about; I am in Enugu right now.”

When PUNCH Metro probed further if the family had received any payment, he said, “Do not ask me because I do not know you. You cannot hear anything from me. Go and confirm from the person that gave you the information. Write that I said I have nothing to say about it.

“I stopped the negotiation process because my daughter was abandoned in an American hospital and I had to go and get her.”

Falana, whose chamber reportedly mediated in the process, could not be reached for comment despite efforts by our correspondent.

But the General Manager, Corporate Communications, EKEDC, Idemudia Godwin, confirmed that there was a settlement, adding that it was not for the public.

He said, “We have settled out of court. We don’t have any issue with the family again.

“I think we want it private; we don’t want it publicised and the family also does not want it published.”

Godwin, however, expressed surprise at the allegation that the company abandoned Oluchi’s sister in an American hospital, saying he was not aware of such.

http://www.punchng.com/electrocuted-unilag-undergraduates-family-gets-n45m-compensation/

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by Thatitan234(m): 9:18am On May 24, 2016
That wouldn't bring her back, still its a good effort by the disco.

9 Likes

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by ShutdownBrown24(m): 10:53am On May 24, 2016
This is sad.......when she was alive nobody cares...now she is dead everybody cares...

God don't allow my enemies to concur in my life, let me enjoy my hardwork.

Just exactly what happened to those student who represent thier state, unfortunately for those students they lost thier lives on road transportation.......the foolish government sent plane to carry thier corpses.

Baba God no allow my enemies concur for my matters.

If God is by your side i want to see Much LIKES

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by tolexy007(m): 10:54am On May 24, 2016
well, that is better than nothing, there is nothing we can do to wake d dead....continue to RIP cry cry cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:54am On May 24, 2016
But e no go bring her back to life nah. RIP Nwanyi Oma
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by vivansexy: 10:54am On May 24, 2016
the family should take heart

3 Likes

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:54am On May 24, 2016
ShutdownBrown24:
G
G is for G-string

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by ShitHead(m): 10:55am On May 24, 2016
Blood Money
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by SylarsMcQuins: 10:55am On May 24, 2016
I knw for sure it's not from the government, coz they care less bot human lives.
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by chuba21(m): 10:55am On May 24, 2016
Its well
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by Samexdx(m): 10:55am On May 24, 2016
The money would not bring her back... Good one from them though

2 Likes

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by HRHF: 10:56am On May 24, 2016
this is pure money ritual.. 45m just like that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by MadCow1: 10:56am On May 24, 2016
Not Bad at all.....

Omo, it seems the new trend in Nigeria to get any form of succor from the Government would be to be involved in some sort of mishap caused directly by the government.

If you die in Immigrations stampede, your family gets a job slot .. grin

If Electric kill you, 45 Million.

If Governor Convoy jam your Mama die, ................................................... grin

5 Likes

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by sinistermind(m): 10:56am On May 24, 2016
Hehehe... ermm, how much will they pay if 2 kids of d same family is electrocuted?

3 Likes

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by Agbele1(m): 10:56am On May 24, 2016
Hmmmm, wat a life. Destiny can neva be change at ALL cry cry
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by kayc0(f): 10:56am On May 24, 2016
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by auntysimbiat(f): 10:57am On May 24, 2016
Indirect selling of the girl... now time to fight on how to share n spend money

1 Like

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by pretydiva(f): 10:57am On May 24, 2016
Pictures of d distribution company giving dem cheque or cash or Idonbilivit dis poo undecided

Frm d dad's comments, it shows no money was given him
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by Lilimax(f): 10:57am On May 24, 2016
A 'first class material' just perished like that cry

What surprised me was the manner through which she died:
Oluchi had reportedly entered the Eni Njoku Hall to buy an item and was walking out of the hostel when a high-tension wire fell on her.
Ewoo!

Oh God, order our steps aright and enable us to be at the right place at the right time in Jesus name.
Amen.

15 Likes

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by Wuuworld(m): 10:57am On May 24, 2016
WHY LIFE IF DEATH ? WHY DEATH IF LIFE ?
Spending the night staring at you from where I was sitting beside your sickbed was like spending the eternity trapped between God and the Devil.
Though in great pains,your face shone like that of an angel- painless, fearless,graceful,loving, cheerful. Even in that your sleepless sleep, you seemed to have found peace and looked peaceful. My looking at you lying there in great peace felt like being with God.
However being what I am, a man and no God, I felt and still feel all your pains and sufferings.
Though it pains me much seeing you like this, I cherished spending the night beside you.In fact it got me thinking and asking God,just like the great poet Dante "Why life if death? Why death if life?.
GET WELL FAST!
I' M PRAYING FOR YOU!
MY FRIENDS ARE PRAYING FOR YOU!
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH AND SO DO THEY!

Help pray for a Friend who has been sick..
And also for Oluchi's sister.

4 Likes

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by jeje123(m): 10:58am On May 24, 2016
Dont kill urself cos of dis oooo family members
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by SylarsMcQuins: 10:58am On May 24, 2016
ShitHead:
Blood Money
Wetyn concern blood and d money for dz issue.
Pple gonna talk sha...
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by seedsower(m): 10:58am On May 24, 2016
Rip
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by beGOOD4aba(m): 10:58am On May 24, 2016
nothing is worth d blood of this innocent first class student
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by Slimgenius(f): 10:58am On May 24, 2016
Will N45m bring her back to life?? Family nd friends should take heart!
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by SylarsMcQuins: 10:59am On May 24, 2016
Wuuworld:
Vv
For Vagina and Virgin
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by Lanre4uonly(m): 11:00am On May 24, 2016
May God continue to grant her eternal rest & comfort the bereaved family.

It is well.
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by crazymod: 11:00am On May 24, 2016
Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by WDESAFETY: 11:01am On May 24, 2016
No amount of money can compensate adequately, However, it's good to know that the firm took responsibility..

1 Like

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by Nobody: 11:05am On May 24, 2016
hmmmmmmmm.
that my useless eldest sister will not see this and go and sacrifice herself for the family. she just dey alive no usefulness

2 Likes

Re: N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation by SmithHumble50: 11:05am On May 24, 2016
Good development

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Universities Compared With Football Clubs, The Result Is Amazing / Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? / Photo Of Seun Egbeyemi EKSU Accident Victim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.