Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

A Little Bird Am I Poem By Gene Guyon - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Little Bird Am I Poem By Gene Guyon (975 Views)

Evil Bird Monitoring A Man's Destiny Killed In Benin Today / Is This Bird Witchcraft Sacrifice Or What? (Photo) / "Flying Bird Falls & Turns Into A Woman In Port Harcourt" - Lady Claims (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Little Bird Am I Poem By Gene Guyon by dd12345: 11:39am On May 26, 2016
I READ THIS POEM BY GENE GUYON ONLINE AND I WAS BLESSED BY IT..SO I DECIDED TO SHARE HOPING IT WILL BLESS OTHERS..

Many years ago I read a poem which perfectly describes how God uses his songs of praise to shatter things that confine us. It is a poem written by Mme. Guyon; she was a French noblewoman who was thrown into prison on trumped up charges by jealous church officials. She stayed in that dungeon for ten years; but she wrote some of the most beautiful poems during her confinement. And this one is my favorite. Mme. Guyon writes:

A little bird I am,
Shut from the fields of air;
And in my cage I sit and sing
To Him who placed me there;
Well pleased a prisoner to be
Because, my God, it pleases Thee.

Naught have I else to do;
I sing the whole day long;
And He whom most I love to please,
Doth listen to my song:
He caught and he bound my wandering wing,
But still He bends to hear me sing.

My cage confines me round;
Abroad I cannot fly;
But though my wing is closely bound,
My heart’s at liberty;
My prison walls cannot control
The flight, the freedom of the soul.

Oh! It is good to soar
These bolts and bars above,
To Him whose purpose I adore,
Whose providence I love;
And in His mighty will to find
The joy, the freedom, of the mind.

Isn’t that beautiful? I so identify with Mme. Guyon; her bolts and bars may have been a prison, but my bolts and bars are my wheelchair. And like her, I have found the best way to chase off feelings of confinement is to sing to God.
Re: A Little Bird Am I Poem By Gene Guyon by dd12345: 11:41am On May 26, 2016
COMMENTS FROM PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN BLESSED BY THE POEMS FOLLOWS:
FEEL FREE TO ADD YOURS TO BLESS OTHERS...
Re: A Little Bird Am I Poem By Gene Guyon by dd12345: 11:42am On May 26, 2016
Joy

We may sometimes feel that to be "caged" in the Lord is a great limitation. But if the Lord has mercy on us, we will soon discover that this "cage" is actually a vast, exhaustless land flowing with milk and honey for our rest and satisfaction. "Oh to lie forever here; / Doubt and care and self resign / While He whispers in my ear, / "I am His and He is mine."
Re: A Little Bird Am I Poem By Gene Guyon by dd12345: 11:43am On May 26, 2016
Giselle

Nova Iguaçu, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

This hymn is wonderful!

I enjoyed it so much! Really we're prisoners in the Lord and we have the real liberty in Him.

"Well pleased a prisoner to be,

Because, my God, it pleaseth Thee".

This lines remembered me a verse that says: "I love my master, […] I will not go out free". (Exodus 21:5, King James Version)

How good is to be a prisoner in the Lord! Amen!
Nov 11 2015
Giovani

Nova Iguaçu, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

The best cage that exist is our Lord. Praise the Lord.
Nov 1 2015
Crystal Tafoya

Fort Collins, Colorado, United States

Oh little bird I am! Praise the Lord that we are little birds that He cares for. We give praise to Him! Praise the Lord!
Jan 31 2015
Anthony Campbell

Huntington Beach, CA, United States

This is an amazing hymn, and I particularly enjoyed this line, "Well pleased a prisoner to be". We need to be those who have this loving relationship with the Lord, one where we are so captured by Him, that being removed from the world becomes a trivial thing when compared to being with our loving Captor.
Dec 22 2013
Ribka

Praise Him, because His limitation is the real protection to all of us.
Jul 3 2013
Jenni

Honduras

A little bird I am, and the one who sets me free, who lets me fly and feel real peace. Lord Jesus is His name!
Re: A Little Bird Am I Poem By Gene Guyon by dd12345: 11:44am On May 26, 2016
Sarah

Nairobi, Kenya

Oh what a beautiful song......naught have I else to do I sing all day long for I am confined in my Lord—He is the cage!!

Barry

United States

This was originally written by Jeanne-Marie Bouvier de la Motte-Guyon (commonly known as Madame Guyon) (13 April 1648 – 9 June 1717)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Guyon

(1) (Reply)

TO SENSELESS CHRISTIANS Part 2 By Exmuslim Ishaku Abdul'rahman Mohammed / . / Shocking Confession By Musa Abdullah On Biafra, N'delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.