Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving (14409 Views)

What Happens When U Put Ur Car In Reverse While Driving? / What To Do If Your Steering Fails While Driving / Craziest Thing You Have Ever Done With While Driving On Highway? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by AutosBay(m): 12:35pm On May 26, 2016
How to Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving

A head-on collision is one of the most terrifying accidents drivers can get into. Not only do you have to witness the accident as it occurs, but the fatality rate is relatively high. Don’t despair – head on collisions are rare, and avoidable. Learn how to prevent head-on collisions with a few simple pieces of advice.

Why do head-on collisions happen?

Often, head-on collisions occur because of distractions, fatigue, intoxication, and bad decision-making on the part of the drivers involved. Curvy roads can also be a cause, though these aren’t generally as bad as the fully head-on collisions that come from straight stretches of road.

How to avoid head-on collisions?

The first most basic preventative precaution for head-on collisions is to pay attention. Even if the other drivers on the road are drowsy, distracted, drunk, or whatever the case, you will have more time to react. If you are fully aware of your surroundings, you’ll be able to see the driver swerving down the road. Turn on your headlights to bring the driver’s attention to your presence, even during the day. They’ll begin to think about the other cars on the road. But be prepared to drive into the shoulder if they continue to swerve toward you.

Never straddle or hug the centerline. This is just asking for head-on collisions, either from distracted drivers or from a slip of your hand that takes you into the oncoming lane. Drive in the right lane in multi-lane traffic areas, and if you are in the left, drive as close to the right as is safe. This is particularly true of curvy roads, so you can avoid the driver speeding around the bend toward you.

What to do if you’re faced with a head-on collision

Sometimes head-on collisions are unavoidable, despite your best precautionary efforts. There are actions to take in that situation that can reduce the risk of collision, or lessen the impact.

Reduce your speed.Don’t allow yourself to lose control by braking so suddenly that you skid, but slow down as much as is safely possible. If there is an impact, this will greatly reduce the damage done and the risk of fatality.

Drive to the right Ditches and shoulders are always better to collide with than other vehicles. If the driver is swerving into your lane and you’ve reduced your speed, drive toward the right of the road. This increases the odds of the other driver going right by you, rather than colliding with you. Also, the driver may realize his or her mistake and quickly try to correct the situation. In that case, you want to be as far right as possible, rather than left. If you are in the left and collide with him, it will be your fault in the eyes of the law. You also have less chance of surviving. This may be difficult on city roads with multiple lanes of traffic.

Be prepared. If you have to drive to the right, don’t wait until the last second to do so. If you begin leaning to the right before the other car is directly in front of you, you have a higher chance of avoiding colliding with a solid object. If you must hit a solid object, try for a light glance off of it at the side of your car. Don’t hit it head-on. Remember that you may have some damage done to your car, but it will certainly be better than a head-on.

http://mayfairrentacar.com/how-to-avoid-a-head-on-collision/

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by diportivo: 4:23pm On May 26, 2016
Head-on-collision = accident

There's a reason it's called "accident"

To avoid it,believe u are the only sane driver on the road

It works wonders grin

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by AutosBay(m): 8:42pm On May 26, 2016
@ diportivo I concur
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by Ricmayak1: 2:28am On May 27, 2016
Properly align your wheels
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by VocalWalls: 6:35am On May 27, 2016
undecided

Don't overspeed.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by Smellymouth: 6:35am On May 27, 2016
The first most basic preventative precaution for head-on collisions is to pay attention. Even if the other drivers on the road are drowsy, distracted, drunk, or whatever the case, you will have more time to react. If you are fully aware of your surroundings, you’ll be able to see the driver swerving down the road.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by obinna2nv(m): 6:37am On May 27, 2016
Head on collisions are absolutely disastrous. The main causes are reckless overtaking, driving one-way and over speeding.

4 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by mikeljack(m): 6:38am On May 27, 2016
okay
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by Sibe007(m): 6:38am On May 27, 2016
thanks for this, I found it really helpful
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by favouritesahaba: 6:39am On May 27, 2016
NICE WRITE-UP. WETIN FRSC DEY DO? THEY ARE INCOMPETENT.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by mostyg(m): 6:39am On May 27, 2016
Educative
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by seunlayi(m): 6:43am On May 27, 2016
Like say na so E easy

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by jazinogold(m): 6:44am On May 27, 2016
hmm
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by tk4rd: 6:45am On May 27, 2016
GOD SAVE HIS CHILDREN

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by Lanceslot(m): 6:46am On May 27, 2016
Nice write up.
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by ORACLE1975(m): 6:46am On May 27, 2016
Good ONE
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by seunlayi(m): 6:47am On May 27, 2016

Some people will prefer to open wide thier mouth and start shouting JESUS JESUS rather than applying common sense

9 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by Ginaz(f): 7:08am On May 27, 2016
seunlayi:

Some people will prefer to open wide thier mouth and start shouting JESUS JESUS rather than applying common sense

Jesus saves, dont underrate the name called JESUS.

15 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by iPopAlomo(m): 7:08am On May 27, 2016
All these info would be forgotten as soon as one is in the situation...

You can't control Z it... and you can't use a restart button... accidents happens in two seconds... do you have two seconds to flash the other Driver and swerve right...?

Baba... nah only God ooo...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by Aviero: 7:09am On May 27, 2016
seunlayi:

Let people run to what they believe in. E no concern you

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by Nobody: 7:10am On May 27, 2016
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by rawtouch: 7:11am On May 27, 2016
Good advice
Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by gbadexy(m): 7:11am On May 27, 2016
Head on collision is not that easy to avoid. It's instant.
Reducing your speed changes little when the oncoming one is on high speed.
The one that happened to the peace bus is regrettable but highly preventable.
Most likely miscalculation of clearing another vehicle before reaching the oncoming one.
In such instance, the drivers should be patient when driving on the wrong way due to a bad portion of road at the other side. It's risky enough driving at speed on a wrong way, trying to overtake also is asking for trouble.
The worst type is the one that a car on the other side of the road loses control and faces the other vehicles. Nothing much to do except pray against this type as the other driver hardly even have time to react.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by iPopAlomo(m): 7:16am On May 27, 2016
Ginaz:

Aunty... I'm more religious than you... you could argue i'm a Muslim and you're a Christian that we don't have the same faith but I drive and I see things... but Jesus won't come down to take the wheel... #Fact

If one survives an head on Collison... it's down to two things the impact wasn't heavy and you're at the rear... that's all...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by Emeka71(m): 7:20am On May 27, 2016
Well done; also ; when you see another driver trying to overtake you by the left and there is an oncoming vehicle on that highway ; you should slow down ; allow the vehicle overtake you and enter your front.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by Kakamorufu(m): 7:30am On May 27, 2016
like my dad will say, look other road users as a lunatic

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by DaBullIT(m): 7:31am On May 27, 2016
Until the other driver thinks the same thing and tries to outsmart you

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Screeeeeech Gbosa , waglingglanglan , and boom airbag

diportivo:
Head-on-collision = accident

There's a reason it's called "accident"

To avoid it,believe u are the only sane driver on the road

It works wonders grin

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by golamike: 7:39am On May 27, 2016
iPopAlomo:

Aunty... I'm more religious than you... you could argue i'm a Muslim and you're a Christian that we don't have the same faith but I drive and I see things... but Jesus won't come down to take the wheel... #Fact

If one survives an head on Collison... it's down to two things the impact wasn't heavy and you're at the rear... that's all...

Mr man, as much as I would not want to downplay d place of common sense, I can boldly affirm that calling d name JESUS has saved people in times of accidents (either by averting d impending evil or restoring hope of living). I have seen living witnesses and heard of many instances.

4 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by strangest(m): 7:39am On May 27, 2016
ONE WAY . This is the major cause of head on collision. When an incompetent government cannot maintain one side of the lane and all the drivers are flying the better lane.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by joey150(m): 7:46am On May 27, 2016
Smellymouth:
The first most basic preventative precaution for head-on collisions is to pay attention. Even if the other drivers on the road are drowsy, distracted, drunk, or whatever the case, you will have more time to react. If you are fully aware of your surroundings, you’ll be able to see the driver swerving down the road.

be finishing my mb everyday with your gifs and memes..you never fail to post them undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving by dandollaz: 7:50am On May 27, 2016
Ginaz:

jesus works wonder but that not what he have in mind.have seen a cash the woman beside the driver held the driver in fear.thank God that he is experience driver.the driver stopped and order the woman to go back.as a driver u shout jesus in ur mind but be active to calculate best move.i was on top speed n my front tire blow n was face with big tree if not im calculate to swelve right with full muscle na sorry be that because the steerling is strong to navigate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote Truck Kills A Woman In Otukpo, Benue State / Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? / Photos Of The Longest Car In The World... Having A Swimming Pool, Helipad & More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.