Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,042 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Atheism In Nigerian Society - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism In Nigerian Society (1174 Views)

22 Year Study States Atheism In A Mental Disease? / Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? / From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism In Nigerian Society by Oluwaseytiano(m): 4:07pm On May 26, 2016
Earlier today a couple of guys and I were having a discussion and somehow it branched off to the existence of God. I flatly said I didn't believe in the biblical or Quranic God. Tempers rose up and some actually threatened to hit me with charm to proof the existence of God. I sent hours trying to explain the ridiculousness of the religious texts. And ironically, someone who didn't even know about the existence of other planets in our solar system actually called me ignorant. I wonder if anybody else has faced situations like this.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by dalaman: 4:26pm On May 26, 2016
Most people are ignorant and superstitious so you shouldn't blame them.
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Ranchhoddas: 4:26pm On May 26, 2016
You get time!
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 26, 2016
When it comes to debating believers/theists, I'm very conscious of the environment, the language I use and the set of people I debate with.

1 Environment, in the sense that you can't be in public discussing religion if you the only atheist around, you would be getting tackled by numerous people at a time and might make you loose application of logic. The best environment should be a closed on where you have your targeted group like class room, in the bus/car, office etc

2 language- Don't sound condescending like putting it straight they ignorant, let them determine they are ignorant themselves by asking them certain logical questions, watch them give ridiculously answers and provide them with answer.

3 Set of people- The type of people you debate matters a lot, never debate an illiterate! It would make you look like another illiterate who just don't believe in God's existence.

I debate people a lot from professors down to my peer group and those aforementioned are my experiences over time.

I'm proud atheist till I flat line.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by ValentineMary(m): 5:24pm On May 26, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
Earlier today a couple of guys and I were having a discussion and somehow it branched off to the existence of God. I flatly said I didn't believe in the biblical or Quranic God. Tempers rose up and some actually threatened to hit me with charm to proof the existence of God. I sent hours trying to explain the ridiculousness of the religious texts. And ironically, someone who didn't even know about the existence of other planets in our solar system actually called me ignorant. I wonder if anybody else has faced situations like this.
cc: Johnydon22
Valentinemary
Hardmirror
Hahn
Weah
Sirwere
pyrrho
cloudgoddess
i wonder how some theist think grin (that is if they think). Once sef I was arguing with some guys and they asked me if there is no God why is there only one sun The person that asked this qus is a 300L electronics and computer engineering student. Some people even ask why do we dream?
One silly statement one guy even said that the bible has proved that the sun is d source of light. like WTF!!! I then asked him if humans did not know about d sun beign d source of light till d bible was written. He could not reply. And yes some people have turned violent to me for simply not believing in their God.

1 Like

Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 26, 2016
I avoid introducing myself as an atheist at first meetings.

You might end up being the devil's incarnation and the reason for all the problems in the world. You'll be lucky to survive a muslim crowd.

Both christians and muslims will be against you. The rage, anger, detest, horror, you'll see in faces will shock you. You have to be selective of the audience you expose your position to. Or else, you stand the risk of being mobbed

Being irreligious is more tolerable to theist than being an atheist.

Unfortunately, most theist in Nigerian societies are high on the opium. They can't just accept that a sane person would imagine a world without God.

So be careful.

We were once like that until we began to rely on our reason for answers, and not some ancient texts written by primitive men without 1/100 of the knowledge we have gathered of our world today.

1 Like

Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 26, 2016
gringrin Na this one you see??

I've met someone who said

"If God is not real, why does man distintegrate into dust once he dies??"

And this person is 300L microbiology shockedshockedshockedshocked

That's why I don't really like debating religion; I'm already seen as "queer"; and I stay around a LOT of fundamentalist Christians (My dad believes the earth was molded; the Noah and the Ark story. My mum patronizes prayer grounds, way too much sadsadsad)

1 Like

Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Nobody: 8:48am On May 27, 2016
I once told a friend that god is a fraud and doesn't exist grin

Till today he is still avoiding me, saying i have been possessed by jinn and that Allah will burn me for eternity

3 Likes

Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Emmaesty(f): 9:42am On May 27, 2016
Atheists are confused people. Always trying and looking for ways to prove that there is no God when it is evident that there is. Ever heard of testimonies Anyway, I rest my case cause arguing will lead to nowhere.
By the way, You're invited to Living faith church aka Winners chapel for our thanksgiving service on Sunday grin grin grin
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Nobody: 9:53am On May 27, 2016
Emmaesty:
Atheists are confused people. Always trying and looking for ways to prove that there is no God when it is evident that there is. Ever heard of testimonies Anyway, I rest my case cause arguing will lead to nowhere.
By the way, You're invited to Living faith church aka Winners chapel for our thanksgiving service on Sunday grin grin grin

What are the evidence of god's existence
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by plaetton: 1:44pm On May 27, 2016
Emmaesty:

Lol.
This poster just added to the laughter by insinuating that ' Testimony ' is another evidence that God exists. grin

By the way, poster, what exactly are going to thank God for this Sunday ? Economic stagnation, the upsurge in crime and social vices, or the violence that pervades all corners of our society?

4 Likes

Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by francis247(m): 4:36pm On May 27, 2016
1. The armed rubber did not give her the money and therefore has no right to demand of it from her in that manner unlike God who gave us life (and He is not putting a gun to our heads directly of indirectly to use it as it pleases Him or be dammed anyways).
2. God does not give us ultimatum like the armed robber, neither does He say believe in me or I send you to hell. He is saying believe in me, believe I can save you or the devil lays claim to your soul and does as he pleases. The devil sends people to hell for doing his will (the devil). It's a matter of reward. You don't work for one man and expect to be rewarded by another. God rewards his workers and so does the devil, they just have different ways of doing it. When someone dies, the devil tries to lay claim to the soul whether or not the soul is for him to reward, while God does same if the soul is for Him to reward as well. It's like an exam, only those whom have written well pass and get promoted (all things being equal of course(rewarded). Those who fail depending on the extent to which the fail are not promoted, while some are demoted and some are no more allowed to remain in the institution (punished). As for why God created the devil. He did not create him. The devil is a manifestation of the other side of good just like there is no fake until there is an original, just like there was no computer virus until computers came into existence. And as for God not destroying the devil since he is all powerful and Omnipotent, it's like saying that God should kill a spirit. A spirit is indestructible, just like viruses and fake versions of an original are inextinguishable until and unless the place of habitation of the virus or the original of the fake is extinguished.
3. Finally, unlike the scenario painted in the video, God has has given us a choice. To blame the case of a sinner ending up in hell on God, is like blaming a parent who has provided for his teenage child, warned the him/her against stealing, only for the child to go out there and steal, gets caught in the act, the offended party reports to the authorities and the law takes its cause. Now remember I'm referring to a teenager here, let alone an adult old enough to reason very well and make life changing decisions on his own.
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by taurus25(m): 4:44pm On May 27, 2016
aaronson:
When it comes to debating believers/theists, I'm very conscious of the environment, the language I use and the set of people I debate with.

1 Environment, in the sense that you can't be in public discussing religion if you the only atheist around, you would be getting tackled by numerous people at a time and might make you loose application of logic. The best environment should be a closed on where you have your targeted group like class room, in the bus/car, office etc

2 language- Don't sound condescending like putting it straight they ignorant, let them determine they are ignorant themselves by asking them certain logical questions, watch them give ridiculously answers and provide them with answer.

3 Set of people- The type of people you debate matters a lot, never debate an illiterate! It would make you look like another illiterate who just don't believe in God's existence.

I debate people a lot from professors down to my peer group and those aforementioned are my experiences over time.

I'm proud atheist till I flat line.
nailed it bro!
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by UyiIredia(m): 5:45pm On May 27, 2016
Naijaboy007:

What are the evidence of god's existence
1) Order in the physical universe 2) Design in living things 3) Consciousness in humans.
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Ruq: 6:38pm On May 27, 2016
You can't never win, the stare you'll get only. Why do you even try? One of the questions they'll ask you is did you create yourself ? They'll ask you how did the animals come to be and if you can create them. They're logical too in their own way

Seriously once we come to fully understand how we came to be everyone will readily dump the idea of gods, until then The idea will continue to be relevant and as it looks we may never fully understand.

I bet you too where trying to show off how smart you were.

1 Like

Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Oluwaseytiano(m): 7:12pm On May 27, 2016
Ruq:
You can't never win, the stare you'll get only. Why do you even try? One of the questions they'll ask you is did you create yourself ? They'll ask you how did the animals come to be and if you can create them. They're logical too in their own way

Seriously once we come to fully understand how we came to be everyone will readily dump the idea of gods, until then The idea will continue to be relevant and as it looks we may never fully understand.

I bet you too where trying to show off how smart you were.
Nope, BT these guys were 4th year biochemistry students. I was just trying to reason with them
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Ruq: 7:32pm On May 27, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
Nope, BT these guys were 4th year biochemistry students. I was just trying to reason with them

Reason, you can't debate with someone who's definite God is the reason they wake up each day. They too will ask you questions you have no answers for and from there on they accuse you of not knowing everything too. If you really understand a few of the God concept you'll see they aren't wrong about the God they choose to believe, what you think is contradictory actually make sense even if it's seems absurd. If you keep observing you'll see all the attributes credited to this god isn't wrong.
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 27, 2016
UyiIredia:

1) Order in the physical universe
2) Design in living things
3) Consciousness in humans.

And how exactly do they show the existence of a god
And which of the gods
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by Nobody: 10:13pm On May 27, 2016
UyiIredia:

And which of the gods
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by johnydon22(m): 12:06am On May 28, 2016
UyiIredia:

You still going over this? Lol..
Naijaboy007:

And which of the gods

No be today we don treat these thing over and over and over again yet they keep pointing at it..

Like saying "I believe a tree fairy made a tree" when asked for evidence you point at a tree..

I am tired of typing over the same crap again na live debate i wan this time around ..how i wish someone can arrange that
Re: Atheism In Nigerian Society by wiegraf: 3:03am On May 28, 2016
Ruq:

Reason, you can't debate with someone who's definite God is the reason they wake up each day. They too will ask you questions you have no answers for and from there on they accuse you of not knowing everything too. If you really understand a few of the God concept you'll see they aren't wrong about the God they choose to believe, what you think is contradictory actually make sense even if it's seems absurd. If you keep observing you'll see all the attributes credited to this god isn't wrong.
what in the world are you on about?

(1) (Reply)

Moon Not Sighted ( Sallah Will Be On Wednesday) / An Atheist Historian Proves Jesus Existed / Darlene Zschech 2017 Single Free Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.