Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,767 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England (67657 Views)

Tin Milk In Nigeria Vs Tin Milk Abroad: Canada Based Nigerian Man Bemoan (photo) / N1000 Tomatoes That I Saw Today In Lagos / The N600 Fresh Tomatoes I Bought Today At The Market.. Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by RaptorX: 7:07pm On May 26, 2016
otiigba1:
what?! Really? shocked food must be very expensive in the US then. If you catch me in the US ehn?....
Food expensive for where! How do you think Americans got to be the fattest people on the planet.
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by martineverest(m): 7:07pm On May 26, 2016
ronald4lif:

Dude took those pics himself in the UK. His mum didn't bring any sh1t to Naija. His claim was fabricated to make the story sweet and possibly hit FP.

I challenge him to take pics of the tomatoes in a Naija background, even without his face but the tomatoes showing. Cheap stunt.
thought as much

1 Like

Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by rose54321: 7:18pm On May 26, 2016
Weedcrusher:
I think we should value farming more now and appreciate the farmers

You just said my mind, we southerners need to go back to Agriculture, not just white collar f.ucking jobs.

Think outside the box, the demand now is high.
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by Macelliot(m): 7:21pm On May 26, 2016
danasjoe1:
I don ditch tomatoes since early this month...na Banga soup sure pass for now..

Team #Ofe_akwu soup.
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by rose54321: 7:25pm On May 26, 2016
Achorise:
PLS what is the real csuse of the scarcity?

4 theories:
1) Tomato Ebola - moths destroyed swaths of tomato fields, forcing factories to close and driving prices up astronomically

2) Opening of tomato paste companies in the north (Dangote and the likes), it's rumoured that local farmers would rather sell to these companies who buy in bulk and pay immediately than transport to the southern regions as was the practice before.

3) the raining season, tomato doesn't fare well in the rain

4) price of fuel- Trucks to transfer the tomatoes to the market (other regions) have hiked up charges.

I believe it's a combination of these factors.

1 Like

Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by HomeOfMe(f): 7:38pm On May 26, 2016
faorex:
thanks, i cant just eat the well prepared EFO i had to take bread
Eyaaah!
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by mamaaustin(f): 7:49pm On May 26, 2016
OK....your mum to the UK and back. I think the cheapest one way ticket is roughly #200,000.

So she spent #400,000 on the trip and brought back a box of tin tomatoes because it was 3 for £1, because tomatoes are expensive in Nigeria........

This is great financial management in action!
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by planetx: 8:55pm On May 26, 2016
mamaaustin:
OK....your mum to the UK and back. I think the cheapest one way ticket is roughly #200,000.

So she spent #400,000 on the trip and brought back a box of tin tomatoes because it was 3 for £1, because tomatoes are expensive in Nigeria........

I don't think the OP ever said his mother flew all the way to London just to buy tin tomatoes, or don't you buy stuff when you travel and you are coming back.

1 Like

Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by Btruth: 9:00pm On May 26, 2016
PRESS CONFERENCE ON TOMATO SCARCITY AND TUTA ABSOLUTA - Excerpts:

The Tuta Absoluta pest is a leaf moth that bores into the fruits and stem of the tomato plant causing enormous food loss. Infestation by the Tuta can ravage and wipe out tomato farms within 48 hours. The pest invaded tomato farms in Nigeria, recently.

The Pest is known world over, as it originated from South America as far back as 1912 and has ravaged tomato farms in so many countries of the world till date including Europe, Middle East, Asia and Africa. Between 2006 and 2008, it invade tomato farms in Spain, Italy, France, Greece, Malta, Algeria and Morocco; 2009 - 2010 - Libya, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq and Iran; 2011 - 2013 - Sudan, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman and other Gulf States; and Kenya, Tanzania, Niger and finally Nigeria in 2015.

It entered into Nigeria through Niger Republic into Katsina, Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa, Nasarawa and spread to other tomato producing states in the North as well as Southern States of Lagos, Oyo and Ogun.

The Federal Government became aware of the Tuta Absoluta tomato pest in 2015 and quickly directed the National Horticulture Research Institute, Ibadan, a mandate agency on tomato research and development, to move into action and proffer solution to the menace.

After the survey, recommendations were made to the Federal Government, which led to Tuta Absoluta containment programme in the 2016 budget. Collaboration was also sought with FAO to find a solution which is ongoing for Nigeria.

The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development is currently working with Agronet, representatives of Russell, UK experts in Tuta Absoluta containment. The team is expected to deliver the containment packs within the shortest possible time.

This will enable farmers resume production activities with desired yield to reverse the precarious situation at hand. The first phase of the intervention programme will involve containment packs for 50,000 hectares to be used among tomato producing states, capacity development on the containment solution, surveillance and monitoring in all 774 Local Govt. Areas.

The Federal Government will partner with states and Local Government Areas to ensure a complete containment of the pest and enable farmers to continue sustainable production of the fruits for local consumption and provide raw materials for processing.

.......anyway 3 tins of chopped tomatoes from UK for N500 is not a bad deal.

grin
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by BushDoctor123: 9:08pm On May 26, 2016
The box load will soon finish and u will be back to quare one to face the reality. Anyway enjoy yourself while it last.
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by kachi19: 9:18pm On May 26, 2016
Lolz Endtime tomatoes. Next your mom will carry gallon when going to England: you and i knows what its for
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 10:01pm On May 26, 2016
ikukuhero:

That rubbish with only 3 or 4 peeled tomatoes and lots of water or juice in it? It's surely not worth the stress. Besides, you can get same at justrite superstore at Abule- Egba or Iyana Ipaja etc. We have tinned tomatoes here too. So, your Mum needn't go through the stress of bringing in those things.
FYI, she didn't stress herself bringing it. She went for a wedding and decided to buy it. No stress
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 10:02pm On May 26, 2016
Lexusgs430:

She should have gone to Aldi or Lidl, she would have easily bought 10 cans for £1.

last time i went to lidl, it was 50p or so. duno about now tho
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 10:04pm On May 26, 2016
udondeymadt:
but come oh OP... ur profile location shows UK ... tomato scarcity reach there too?

Got back not long ago. Yet to change it
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 10:10pm On May 26, 2016
mamaaustin:

if this is the way you think then i am really sorry for you. i did not say she went to buy tomato in uk. where is the sense in that. return flight was 190k.
aunty please receive brain. who does that
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 10:11pm On May 26, 2016
planetx:
I don't think the OP ever said his mother flew all the way to London just to buy tin tomatoes, or don't you buy stuff when you travel and you are coming back.

i tire ooo
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 10:13pm On May 26, 2016
ronald4lif:
Are you sure you didn't buy this yourself and took this pics in England, then just claimed mum bought and flew with it to make the story sweet.

Pishure of you and the tomatoes in a Nigerian background or you know the rest.
I guess they also use dstv and spectranet in uk. Martineverest yall happy now? Or do you want more pictures

Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 10:14pm On May 26, 2016
BushDoctor123:
The box load will soon finish and u will be back to quare one to face the reality. Anyway enjoy yourself while it last.
cousin is coming next month to visit. bringing more grin grin grin
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by Makarous(m): 10:19pm On May 26, 2016
faorex:
thanks, i cant just eat the well prepared EFO i had to take bread
grin
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by nazaalwayzz: 10:26pm On May 26, 2016
Team Grow Tomatoes. visit shespeaks.mywapblog.com
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by ronald4lif(m): 10:56pm On May 26, 2016
souljaboi51:

I guess they also use dstv and spectranet in uk. Martineverest yall happy now? Or do you want more pictures

Nah, this clarifies my dubiety. You know in every situation there must be a Judas. I was a Judah but not anymore.
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by mamaaustin(f): 11:03pm On May 26, 2016
planetx:
souljaboi51:

if this is the way you think then i am really sorry for you. i did not say she went to buy tomato in uk. where is the sense in that. return flight was 190k.
aunty please receive brain. who does that

Ok....return flight was actually 190,000

For someone to splurge on a return flight to the UK in these economic conditions for a wedding, current cost of tomatoes for market is really not a problem for them.

If she was my mum she would have faced a panel for that kind of reasoning to bring back tinned tomatoes rather than the usual gifts from abroad

Anyway different folks, different ways of analysis
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by faorex(m): 11:35pm On May 26, 2016
femi4:
Next time add alum to it, the pepper will disappear
alum? miqht try that while preparing tomorrows food
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by martineverest(m): 11:38pm On May 26, 2016
souljaboi51:

abeg, no vex..... There's nothings Nigerians can't do to make FrontPage
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 11:44pm On May 26, 2016
martineverest:
abeg, no vex..... There's nothings Nigerians can't do to make FrontPage
the day they start to give money for front page, i would struggle for it. anything apart from that, i dont give a Shite!
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by Nobody: 12:03am On May 27, 2016
Ask your father what it means to have low fuel price for oil dependeant countries

Ask your mother whether it is usual for tomatoes to be scarce and expensive at this time of the year

Ask your Economics teacher all about subsidy and lack of a functioning refinery in oil producing countries

Reflect on the answers and ask yourself if all of the above were caused by Buhari. You won't sound do stvpid again if you have answers to these questions.

jordinsparkles:
This tomato wahala is getting too much oo...look at what change has brought us.
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 12:18am On May 27, 2016
daretodiffer:
Ask your father what it means to have low fuel price for oil dependeant countries

Ask your mother whether it is usual for tomatoes to be scarce and expensive at this time of the year

Ask your Economics teacher all about subsidy and lack of a functioning refinery in oil producing countries

Reflect on the answers and ask yourself if all of the above were caused by Buhari. You won't sound do stvpid again if you have answers to these questions.

unfortunately we have too many stvpid people. that is what is killing the nation. ignorance!
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by zaliya(f): 12:18am On May 27, 2016
Bought this box of Tomatoes in one of the Asian Shops for £1.99!!!

Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by souljaboi51(m): 12:44am On May 27, 2016
zaliya:
Bought this box of Tomatoes in one of the Asian Shops for £1.99!!!
thats alot for 2 quid shocked shocked shocked
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by martineverest(m): 12:49am On May 27, 2016
souljaboi51:

the day they start to give money for front page, i would struggle for it. anything apart from that, i dont give a Shite!
hmmm. Good for u
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by DedeNkem: 3:03am On May 27, 2016
Soon you'll see people visiting home from the West carrying bottles of fuel.

The other day I bought fuel at a bar.
Re: Mum Brought Tin Tomatoes From England by booblacain(m): 3:39am On May 27, 2016
euromilion:
Can people not plant tomatoes in their backyards?am sick of hearing tomatoes in the news.

Tomatoes are easily planted,and doesn't take long to grow,so pple get planting.

How many people get backyard. Good advice though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / The ₦5,000 Tortoise I Bought And Ate (Photos) / Bush Rabbit We Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.