Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,239 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves (1279 Views)

Top 5 Places That Tell The History And Reveal The Culture Of The Igbo. / The Igbo Speaking People Inter Relationship With Esans / The Igbo And Funerals (5) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves by Nobody: 8:20am On May 27, 2016
A thread was on FP recently about a Yoruba girl that was having issues marrying her igbo man. To understand people better you have to respect their culture.
IGBO culture sees an igbo man and woman in marriage as sacred and divine. It has nothing to do with tribalism as this culture has been ongoing by our ancestors before they were aware of the existence of non igbo tribes.
In reference to the FP story, the ops love interest was the "di okpara" that is the first son of the family which is an important position in the igbo family.
The igbos are more liberal with their females than the males in intertribal marriages.
We prefer to marry amongst ourselves because of the longevity of the igbo race, similarities in culture and mutual understandings.
You will notice that IGBOs marry the efiks/ibibios probably more than any other tribe because we have some things in common with them.Bear it in mind that the asians(Chinese, Japanese) , and even East Africans(Somalia, Ethiopians) marry amongst themselves for d same reasons but aren't termed as 'tribalist' same thing goes with the hausa and fulanis.
I am NOT saying that a person from a non igbo tribe shouldn't marry his/her igbo boo as times are changing but I only want everyone here to understand igbo culture concerning marriage and stop terming us as 'tribalists' because of it.
It is important to note that individual differences exist and there are people amongst other Nigerian tribes like Yorubas, Tivs,Binis that want their offspring to marry within the tribe likewise some igbos that have no problems with intertribal marriages.
At the end of the day,marriage is ordained by God and whatever God joins together can never be separated.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves by hurricaneChris: 8:45am On May 27, 2016
Saw the post on FP yesterday and I smiled.

Some people actually said "love isnt enough in marriage" which I totally believe.

My case case is similar. I have four grown sisters (two of them are doctors) and it's just me. Everyone is expecting me to marry one of those igbo beautiful girls. But hey! Am surprising my mum with my Idoma damsel grin.

The good thing is that my mum loves the girl to grounds and my sisters have no problems about her. She herself, understands how much I cherish the igbo tradition now she's doing everything she can to perfect her use of igbo language. (she speaks alittle and understands very well)

Believe me, if she hadnt shown regards to my culture, which I'm a strong custodian of, or if my mum had had her doubts about the lady, am not sure she and I would be on our journey by now.
Re: Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves by kelsidengkucio(m): 9:03am On May 27, 2016
As for me, she must be a typical IBO lady.

1 Like

Re: Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves by 9japride(m): 10:20am On May 27, 2016
It's safer to marry amongst urself (tribe ) because u are not just marrying the person only but all the family members inclusive. Especially in these days most tribes hate Igbos and many wishing them dead. As for me i'll marry from my tribe until we all learn to live in peace

1 Like

Re: Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 29, 2016
I WILL NOT ONLY MARRY FROM MY TRIBE IGBO BUT FROM MY HOME TOWN ASWELL...

its unfortunate that not all igbo idea of life is thesame. my dad married from Enugu(achi).it unfortunate how dey always think and call me agbaenu almost same way anambara term people azuigbo..anyway their tolerance over there is more better than people on Nnewi
Re: Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves by godoluwa(m): 9:35pm On May 29, 2016
EMMAUGOH:
I WILL NOT ONLY MARRY FROM MY TRIBE IGBO BUT FROM MY HOME TOWN ASWELL...

its unfortunate that not all igbo idea of life is thesame. my dad married from Enugu(achi).it unfortunate how dey always think and call me agbaenu almost same way anambara term people azuigbo..anyway their tolerance over there is more better than people on Nnewi
wetin be agbaenu?
Re: Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 29, 2016
godoluwa:
wetin be agbaenu?
iN general it means onye anya ya di na enu or onye adighi echeru uche ana
Re: Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves by godoluwa(m): 9:57pm On May 29, 2016
EMMAUGOH:
iN general it means onye anya ya di na enu or onya adighi echeru uche ana
una dey speak in tongue?
Re: Why The Igbo's Marry Amongst Themselves by SirVintageCock: 2:47am On May 31, 2016
godoluwa:
una dey speak in tongue?
Kedu nke bu nke GI ebe a.? Ndi a sef.

(1) (Reply)

Rare Pre-independence Photo Of Olowo Of Owo During A Photoshoot. / Let's Talk About The Arab Slave Trade Of Black Africans / Where Are Ijaws In Warri City?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.