Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,534 members, 7,812,658 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice (891 Views)

Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / The Subjective Prejudice Of Over 200 Years! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice by Chukazu: 3:30pm On May 27, 2016
tribalism has become a way of life for many young Nigerians who ordinarily should be in the vanguard of love and self respect.

tribalism has eating so dip the fabrics of our core values that one wonders if there anymore salvaging left of our dear nation.

the truth about tribalism is that" none was born tribal "..we all learn it in the process of growth and formation.
put different kids of different tribes in one room, they would play without any tribal inclination such that it is virtually impossible to identify their tribes, but the moment they grow one begins to see traits of tribalism boldly scripted in their actions and behavior.

1.ever wondered what this world would be like if everyone is from your tribe?

2.think of what life would look like, if everyone acts exactly the way you do?...boring to say the least, no wonder the saying that " opposite attracts "
so the beauty of humans is their individual peculiarity.. what attracts me most to people is that they are different from me.
I like to meet folks that would teach me some culture, tradition,and unique lifestyle that am not used to, not the one am already used to,one of the reasons I have decided to marry outside my tribe. our greatest assets is not our oil,or other resources, our most coveted assets is our unique diversity

The greed of parental consent in marriage.

often times when I here that one is been denied parental blessings because of differences in spousal tribe, it is nothing but greed and familiarity ... example,an Igbo parent who doesn't want their daughter marry a Yoruba, would not mind the same daughter marrying lets say.. an American, because they probably wish to gain more and secondly the bitter old familiar grudges of the two tribes.

which makes me ponder..
why do we chose to treat and relate to people based on tribal identify instead on individual character and lifestyle?... God didn't create any tribe in his image, but humans were created in God's image, so my relationship with man is based on his character and not tribe.

no single tribe is more important than the other,and none is inferior to another.. what makes us good or bad is our character.. when God sees me, he doesn't see igbo or Yoruba, rather he sees a "human being, created in His image".. the same way we must see ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice by Cutehector(m): 3:43pm On May 27, 2016
I think the reason why people get tribalistic in terms of marriage is because, both families ar going to be getting married to each other.

Secondly, the language barrier.
Re: Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice by Chukazu: 3:52pm On May 27, 2016
Cutehector:
I think the reason why people get tribalistic in terms of marriage is because, both families ar going to be getting married to each other.

Secondly, the language barrier.

I don't get you, of course they would get married, that is a natural phenom

language barrier is understandable
Re: Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice by Cutehector(m): 3:54pm On May 27, 2016
Chukazu:

I don't get you, of course they would get married, that is a natural phenom

language barrier is understandable
what abt the traditional customs of the village in whch he/she is marrying from
Re: Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice by fairheven: 3:59pm On May 27, 2016
Cutehector:

the willingness of both parties to tolerate matters alot
Re: Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice by Cutehector(m): 4:00pm On May 27, 2016
fairheven:

the willingness of both parties to tolerate matters alot
cool nice one..
Re: Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice by fairheven: 4:04pm On May 27, 2016
superiority complex is often the case
Re: Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice by Chukazu: 4:12pm On May 27, 2016
Cutehector:

exactly what I said that, opposite should attract. "variety is still the spice of life"

1 Like

Re: Overcoming Inter-tribal Prejudice by fairheven: 5:20pm On May 27, 2016
Chukazu:

tribalism has become a way of life for many young Nigerians who ordinarily should be in the vanguard of love and self respect.

tribalism has eating so dip the fabrics of our core values that one wonders if there anymore salvaging left of our dear nation.

the truth about tribalism is that" none was born tribal "..we all learn it in the process of growth and formation.
put different kids of different tribes in one room, they would play without any tribal inclination such that it is virtually impossible to identify their tribes, but the moment they grow one begins to see traits of tribalism boldly scripted in their actions and behavior.

1.ever wondered what this world would be like if everyone is from your tribe?

2.think of what life would look like, if everyone acts exactly the way you do?...boring to say the least, no wonder the saying that " opposite attracts "
so the beauty of humans is their individual peculiarity.. what attracts me most to people is that they are different from me.
I like to meet folks that would teach me some culture, tradition,and unique lifestyle that am not used to, not the one am already used to,one of the reasons I have decided to marry outside my tribe. our greatest assets is not our oil,or other resources, our most coveted assets is our unique diversity

The greed of parental consent in marriage.

often times when I here that one is been denied parental blessings because of differences in spousal tribe, it is nothing but greed and familiarity ... example,an Igbo parent who doesn't want their daughter marry a Yoruba, would not mind the same daughter marrying lets say.. an American, because they probably wish to gain more and secondly the bitter old familiar grudges of the two tribes.

which makes me ponder..
why do we chose to treat and relate to people based on tribal identify instead on individual character and lifestyle?... God didn't create any tribe in his image, but humans were created in God's image, so my relationship with man is based on his character and not tribe.

no single tribe is more important than the other,and none is inferior to another.. what makes us good or bad is our character.. when God sees me, he doesn't see igbo or Yoruba, rather he sees a "human being, created in His image".. the same way we must see ourselves.

let's not think of ourselves highly than we ought but with equal measures and regards for all.

(1) (Reply)

Amosun Inaugurates Olu Of Ilaro As Chairman Ogun Council Of Traditional Rulers / Oba Of Benin Gets Tiger As A Gift / I Am Richer Than Dangote – Oluwo Of Iwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.