Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,722 members, 7,809,737 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion (13434 Views)

Help A Nairalander Decide Which Of These Phones Should Be Bought / List Of Top Tecno Phones In 2017 That Can Still Be Bought In 2018 / Facebook Now Has Over 2 Billion Active Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by goodvision12(m): 7:19am On May 29, 2016
boman2014:
make dem no try nonsense ooh
chai!operamini go come change to china product like chyna phone
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Wizkoko(m): 7:19am On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
If ordinary opera mini can sell for 1.2 billion dollars, only God knows how much chrome and Mozilla Firefox will sell

Opera has more users, and the users are what determine the value of the app.

1 Like

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Wizkoko(m): 7:21am On May 29, 2016
So far, opera has been lagging behind with so many features, but I believe that we will start seeing improvements very soon.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by yungryce: 7:24am On May 29, 2016
opera has bn saving us for a long time now wit proxy cheats but i do agree its bout time dey really upgraded to d competition but dey should try not to mess wit data saving
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Themandator: 7:29am On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
If ordinary opera mini can sell for 1.2 billion dollars, only God knows how much chrome and Mozilla Firefox will sell

Please just explain the uniqueness of Mozilla... I honestly do know. I visit playstore to find the millions of download it has and when I download I can't find anything interesting so delete and again I keep telling myself there must be a reason for this millions of download so I re-download only to have it dormant and then re-deleted.
Just what is the selling point.... I'm only begining to tolerate UC otherwise opera that allows me open as many tabs as I want to is still my favorite
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by rusher14: 7:32am On May 29, 2016
Let us create our own browsers and utilities.

Seun made Nairaland. He did not complain about electricity or money (Not sure he's related to Dasuki or Jagaban or even Aluko), he simply did it.

It's great news for Opera who've been minimalistic in their approach to browsers but it's time for the Nigerian youth to show his/her stuff.

You can do it.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Themandator: 7:36am On May 29, 2016
Xionez:
Chrome my foot.
That browser is bad news on Mobile. its doesn't actually close, consumes RAM like no mans business and lemme not get started on the data it consumes...even while browsing Facebook. Data Savings mode my foot.

I've got 31 tabs on OperaMini and RAM usage doesn't pass 35MB. You can quit the browser and it shuts down fully.

With Chrome, just 6 tabs is 39MB gone. No option to close the browser so its either you relegate it to background or u force close. Restart phone and its one of the first things to boot up.

Thank you, Chrome cancelled. Abeg explain Mozilla... I use opera and then a bit of UC because I noticed it is easier to download with it

1 Like

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:38am On May 29, 2016
I hope they don't tamper with the features of opera mini especially, the data saving. I prefer opera to surf the net than any other browsers.
Mozilla for me for converting pages to PDF formats while UC browser is for download.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Themandator: 7:38am On May 29, 2016
slightlyMad:
buying a browser that has lost the battle to chrome.

I was going to ask you for the strong points of chrome but somebody already knocked it silly with MB and inability to completely logout of it.

If you know about Mozilla, share please
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by DONOCHAS(m): 7:38am On May 29, 2016
opera all the way chrome and Uc browser To slow and chrome is a data eater
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Jibreen4u(m): 7:39am On May 29, 2016
Xionez:
Chrome my foot.
That browser is bad news on Mobile. its doesn't actually close, consumes RAM like no mans business and lemme not get started on the data it consumes...even while browsing Facebook. Data Savings mode my foot.

I've got 31 tabs on OperaMini and RAM usage doesn't pass 35MB. You can quit the browser and it shuts down fully.

With Chrome, just 6 tabs is 39MB gone. No option to close the browser so its either you relegate it to background or u force close. Restart phone and its one of the first things to boot up.
So True bro
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by samsam2019: 7:41am On May 29, 2016
TechPill:
do you think the Chinese company can manage and add more features to Opera?
no, they will just shell $1.2b on it and let it rot away

Nonsense question

2 Likes

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:42am On May 29, 2016
TechPill:

Yes
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Nobody: 7:46am On May 29, 2016
TechPill:

Doubt it!
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by slightlyMad(f): 7:50am On May 29, 2016
ritababe:

says by who, with their heavy data consumption?

browsers dont eat data, resources you request over the web does.
if a page weighs 10MB, whether you open it in chrome or mozilla or opera,
it will cost you 10MB

you may be able to tell your browser to NOT display images thereby saving data and reducing the quality of content that reaches you.
get to know the basics pls

1 Like

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by chichriso: 7:59am On May 29, 2016
lofty900:

Chrome and Mozila have already been acquired by Google

#halamadrid

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by adaweezy(m): 8:03am On May 29, 2016
yungryce:
opera has bn saving us for a long time now wit proxy cheats but i do agree its bout time dey really upgraded to d competition but dey should try not to mess wit data saving
Upgrade to what??
We have Opera mobile, opera mini and Opera classic.... Which do you use?
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by yungryce: 8:09am On May 29, 2016
adaweezy:

Upgrade to what??
We have Opera mobile, opera mini and Opera classic.... Which do you use?

upgrade to their interface and user experience. u will hardly ever see someone using d desktop version
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Youngpo413: 8:16am On May 29, 2016
tulipsmadra:

What ever they do they shouldn't temper with the data saving feature and don't mess it up with their Chinese site on it home page. One thing am sure of is that they will remove support for some phones like BB OS ( OS 7 and below) and java phones.
those phones are outdated and it's gonna be a good riddance.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by grandstar(m): 8:18am On May 29, 2016
slightlyMad:
buying a browser that has lost the battle to chrome.

still making money!
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by AoM3b(m): 8:21am On May 29, 2016
slightlyMad:

browsers dont eat data, resources you request over the web does.
if a page weighs 10MB, whether you open it in chrome or mozilla or opera,
it will cost you 10MB

you may be able to tell your browser to NOT display images thereby saving data and reducing the quality of content that reaches you.
get to know the basics pls

You just wrote trasha and you are talking of basics when you yourself don't even know it

3 Likes

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Nobody: 8:28am On May 29, 2016
Xionez:
Chrome my foot.

lol I'm surprised at your comment. I updated my opera to the latest version and regretted. It can no longer download anything, no option to save pages. Nothing
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by chukxie(m): 8:40am On May 29, 2016
The Chinese are buying up multinational companies in the western hemisphere. They're acquiring all the 'acquirables'. The same Chinese that some people here mock as not being innovative are taking the world by storm.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Chartey(m): 9:15am On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
lol I'm surprised at your comment. I updated my opera to the latest version and regretted. It can no longer download anything, no option to save pages. Nothing
I actually like the new version. Click on the + sign in front of the URL space and you'll see "save for offline" among the options.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Collinz2(m): 9:24am On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
Mozilla Firefox is the best browser in the world for now. How come nobody ever use the desktop version of Opera only the mobile version? But people always use chrome and Mozilla Firefox both on phone and computers
opera is far better and stable than firefox. i dont think u use opera i use both and i know what am saying.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by anyicash(m): 9:27am On May 29, 2016
Chai!!! China made opera, we don finish.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by slightlyMad(f): 9:35am On May 29, 2016
AoM3b:

You just wrote trasha and you are talking of basics when you yourself don't even know it

explain in details, just like i did rather than claim i dont know stuff
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Collinz2(m): 9:38am On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
it doesn't have much features like others
have u use all the features chrome and firefox has
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by slightlyMad(f): 9:46am On May 29, 2016
Xionez:
Chrome my foot.

i wonder how many uneducated folks dashed you 4 likes for posting ignorantly.

if you have 31 tabs, what happens at the background is browsers save those data temporarily on physical storage rather than RAM, then loads them to RAM as needed. Every mobile based browser does this, infact it is one of the basic workflow of a mobile app developer.

it is simple logic.

if tab>5, start saving on disk
if tab<=5, rely only on RAM.

when you quit a browser, it shuts down, including chrome.

Incase you don't know, when you request contents from a webpage on mobile, you send along some headers which include specifying the type of compression you support as a browser.
the server tries to send content back to you in that compressed state if it supports it
browsers dont really save MB.

the only mobile platform that has ever done this is the blackberry, they re-route stuff to their servers, their servers compress it and send to their phone, their phone then decompresses it and renders it to the end user.

bunch of uneducated folk on nairaland, get basic education please rather than come here to display your ignorance to the rest of the worl.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Kingsasian(m): 9:48am On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
what version are you talking about? I have the latest version of opera on my mobile and laptop with those options you are talking about. Opera is the best browser I have come across.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by ogundeleai(m): 9:49am On May 29, 2016
Opera still remains most efficient and cost reduce browser. Good enough the latest android version update wil go a long way to meet chrome and other standard browsers juicy
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by AoM3b(m): 9:56am On May 29, 2016
slightlyMad:

explain in details, just like i did rather than claim i dont know stuff

Each browser opens a web page differently. Either in a mobile or desktop format and also minimized or maximized way. Take for example m.facebook.com it opens differently on chrome and opera and many other site also. Opera by default saves data and compress a site while chrome doesn't. Ucweb depending on your preferences will either reduce the size or max it out for you. So if a site is 10mb on a default (desktop version), opera can reduce it to like 3-5mb and same with ucweb but not on chrome

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Infinix To Hold Free Hot 8 Concert With Mayorkun & Naira Marley / Build Your Own Iphone? This Guy Did And The Final Product Is Spot On! Read More / Facebook Rolls Out ‘watch Party’ Feature For Everyone Worldwide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.