Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,509 members, 7,826,935 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong (13807 Views)

Top List Of African Countries Jobs - Is Yours Part Of The List? / Trending: Unemployed Youths Flooding The Streets Of Naija With Placards(photos) / Tony Elumelu Meets Placard-Carrying Jobless Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by izken: 8:20pm On May 28, 2016
There are few cases of job seekers carrying placards lately at strategic spots and this has hit the media. A lady has even met with the vice president for doing this. Is this right? A few points would argue it.

1. Carrying placards in search for jobs undermines the progress made in job application process which has gone online and is quite efficient.

2. Jobs given could be regarded as out of pity and unprofessional as it might have been created to help the placarder otherwise it would be advertised.

3.Giving placarders jobs discredits the effort of hundreds of thousand of Nigerian graduates who have looked beyond the employment situation to be self employed and entrepreneurs.

4. Even if jobs given were advertised, there would be so many applicants who have taken out time to write application letters and applied through prescribed means. Why give it to someone who did not even search?

5. Considering the present employment situation in the country, young unemployed graduates could go on the streets with placards in search of jobs. They soon will form a body and cause unrest if left to go on unchecked.

What is the way out?

-The government of the day should regret the situation the labour market is in today.

-The government of the day should declare a state of emergency on employment and create jobs for graduates.

-When jobs are given through this means of carrying placards, it should be kept off the media so as not to encourage others to do the same.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by RealAdewole(m): 8:35pm On May 28, 2016
hmmmmmm......... Man must survive, but it discredit the individual n in some cases d institution at which such individual graduates from.

I dedicate this FTC to all Real Madrid supporters, Man. Utd fans, Ronaldo people n h8rs and all peace n progress loving individual

#halaMadrid

18 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by luckynzo(m): 8:38pm On May 28, 2016
My dear.
We are in Nigeria. These are desperate times and they call for desperate measures.
But I agree with you on the point that when such jobs are given, they should be kept off the media.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 28, 2016
When it comes to job search, everything is fair and square!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Nobody: 6:29am On May 29, 2016
If you can't do it, doesn't mean others shouldn't -stop judging. Everyone got to do what he/she has to do to achieve what he wants provided is legal.#shikenah

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by veekid(m): 7:01am On May 29, 2016
who you epp OP

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by BadIntentionz: 7:01am On May 29, 2016
It's working for some

5 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by YelloweWest: 7:01am On May 29, 2016
Op by the time you have made like 1000 application with no results, you sef go carry placard grin angry

Nigeria is hard o. .. a know of lawyers looking for 30k job them no see cry

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Liftkid(m): 7:02am On May 29, 2016
why did this Mod smoke double topic

1 Like

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by youngice(m): 7:04am On May 29, 2016
I don't have anything to add
But, where I fit buy tomatoes this morning
I wan cook stew

3 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by psychologist(m): 7:04am On May 29, 2016
Ok

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by armadeo(m): 7:04am On May 29, 2016
I agree with the op.

But I also understand the level of frustration that would make a graduate stand with a placard looking for a job.

So it's fair.

2 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by armadeo(m): 7:04am On May 29, 2016
Brb

Nobody epp her so she epp herself you con dey complain.

Free her joor. No be clear eye she take run that parade

1 Like

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by ednut1(m): 7:04am On May 29, 2016
if they didn't take drastic measures they would still be jobless. op do us a favour geraherrrrrree. keep waiting for government u hear, they dont give a sh*t about anyone. if not dat d we d youths are cowards we for don launch revolution nd riots but we wan die.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Nobody: 7:05am On May 29, 2016
undecided
Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by ibkgab001: 7:05am On May 29, 2016
Whatever... BUhari is reading democracy speech
Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Godswillnwaoma(m): 7:06am On May 29, 2016
Op who sold that weed to you and the weed has stop you from knowing that it's better for an employer to give me a job out of pity than to me to remain unemployed roaring around the streets.

Unemployment in Nigeria is beyond control so men must take some drastic measures to get a job.

4 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by bigiyaro(m): 7:06am On May 29, 2016
Whether its right or wrong does not matter, desperate times calls for desperate measures.

5 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by yorex2011: 7:06am On May 29, 2016
Well, the government of the country and the present situation caused it
I really don't want to say much about this ish, it worked for her and she was lucky. What if she had advertised herself in one of the National dailies? That would be Genius and it would yield good results. Since she didn't have money to do that one. She did the free one

6 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by raymond284(m): 7:07am On May 29, 2016
All I can see is someone beefing.... Placard sef still small... If to say Na me be that lady, Na signpost I go carry..... #thisisnigeriawhereanythingcanhappen

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Nobody: 7:08am On May 29, 2016
Your opinion has been noted.
Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:09am On May 29, 2016
Nigeria ke di way?
Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by tuoyoojo(m): 7:09am On May 29, 2016
if one person do am and the thing favour the person

it's an invitation for others to follow suit

2 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by matrix199(m): 7:09am On May 29, 2016
Now why would a full baked graduate carry a placard, standing at a roadside like women of easy virtue do, in search of job? It doesn't tell good of him. It only shows frustration, desperation, and depicts zero entrepreneurial tendency.

Now why would sensible employers pay attention to such a low wit idea? Why not invite every qualified job seeker to an assessment and employ the ones with true ingenuity, rather than pay attention to some placard carrying un-innovative job seekers?!

With all due respect, I think Tony Elumelue, and VP Osinbanjo, are not helping matters by paying attention to these placard carriers. There are over a hundred thousand job seekers out there who are likely more qualified than these placard carriers. Attention should be paid to all, and not to one, or two.

....Create jobs for all, not job for one!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by easyhacq(m): 7:09am On May 29, 2016
I'm joining placarder any moment from now

maybe I may meet Dangote

2 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Nutase: 7:09am On May 29, 2016
cheesy
Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by VocalWalls: 7:10am On May 29, 2016
RealAdewole:
hmmmmmm......... Man must survive

Hey
Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Nobody: 7:11am On May 29, 2016
So very true.

If the card carrier is so good,why live in delusion that invoking self pity is the only alternative available..

Another problem is that it can be abused by people..

Never underestimate yourself.
Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Nobody: 7:12am On May 29, 2016
I'm sorry op, your points don't really hold water. Not everything is about right or wrong. Moreso, I think you are tying to cage people who are trying to break out of the conventional.

As long as I'm not breaking any rules, I should be able to 'advertise' myself for a job which ever way I deem fit.

8 Likes

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Scatterscatter(m): 7:13am On May 29, 2016
@OP, be like say u never dey jobless before abi, nonsense. "the situation of Nigeria suffereth violence, and the violent taketh it by force"
Na only placard u don see ba, billboard and handbill of CV'S go soon join

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by SpeedyConnect(m): 7:13am On May 29, 2016
Hmm
Re: Why 'Carrying Placards In Search Of Jobs' Is Wrong by Youngetskilz23(m): 7:14am On May 29, 2016
just negodu what OP IS SAYING. JST NEGODU..

(1) (2) (Reply)

60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? / Confused Right Now And Need A Solution!! / Vacancy At Cadbury Nigeria, Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.