Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

The Nature/character Of Temptation. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Nature/character Of Temptation. (4308 Views)

Test, Trials And Temptation / What Is The Difference Between Trial And Temptation / Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by malvisguy212: 3:40pm On May 31, 2016
PastorAIO:

I don't know what all that is that you're writing. I asked very simple questions. You said Satan tempted Jesus where he spotted weakness. So I asked you what weakness he was attacking when he offered him the Kingdoms. Was it megalomania? If not, just say, 'no it's not' and then tell us what the weakness was.

And also that for jumping off high place. What was the weakness? Was Jesus uncertain of God that he felt a need to test him for confirmation?

If you feel you can't answer these questions that okay too, but in that case just spare me the mentions.
malvisguy212:
For All the days of jesus on earth, the forty days fasting is the weakest point of his ministry, that is a very Good time for the enemy to approach and do all his trick..
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 4:59pm On May 31, 2016
malvisguy212:
I don't want to response to this post but a dear friend of mine ask me to. the passage clearly say, jesus fasted for forty days, and was hungry just as every human fell hungry, and what was the tempting about ? Turn this stone to bread, [size=13pt]the weakness satan see, is because jesus was hungry[/size].

You are very clear when you talk here. You make a full exposition of the weakness at that point which is HUNGER, a weakness every human feels. Thank you very much.

I now ask you to do the same for the following 2 temptations that were mentioned. Instead of maintaining the same clarity of speech you decide to dance atilogwu instead. What are you afraid of? What are you hiding?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 5:04pm On May 31, 2016
Ishilove:

Assorted varieties. Name your choice tongue

I'm getting analysis paralysis. Too much choice (judging from your posts).

Come judgement day I go point accusing finger at you, 'O Lord, your honour, The woman gave me to eat'. I go hire the same lawyer as Adam.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by Ishilove: 6:17pm On May 31, 2016
PastorAIO:

I'm getting analysis paralysis. Too much choice (judging from your posts).

Come judgement day I go point accusing finger at you, 'O Lord, your honour, The woman gave me to eat'. I go hire the same lawyer as Adam.

And I will deny you flat. I will say 'Lord, he is a full grown man with free will. I didn't force him" grin
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by shalom4eva(m): 9:29pm On May 31, 2016
PastorAIO:

You are very clear when you talk here. You make a full exposition of the weakness at that point which is HUNGER, a weakness every human feels. Thank you very much.

I now ask you to do the same for the following 2 temptations that were mentioned. Instead of maintaining the same clarity of speech you decide to dance atilogwu instead. What are you afraid of? What are you hiding?
he has answered your question ma brother. the devil came for the weak spot nd was defeated bt because he dint wnt to concede to defeat he decided to do 'try ur luck' bt also encountered defeat. look at it criticaly, if jesus was kingdom hungry the tempter wld hv started from showin him kingdoms but he started from that weak spot wch is fud. hope you grab my points

2 Likes

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by malvisguy212: 10:18pm On May 31, 2016
PastorAIO:

see, you are missing the point, the forty days fasting is the time when jesus has weakness ( hungry) Why dint satan came to Him again after the fasting ? Because that was The ONLY time satan see the weakness, To satan, that was jesus weakness, but Thy Lord's prevail.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by InesQor(m): 11:01pm On May 31, 2016
@PastorAIO

Here's my take. I think the problem with sin and temptation is "continuity" i.e. continuing in sin. Everyone will find themselves tempted (i.e. contemplating it) at some time or the other, and they will have opportunities to resist the temptation, like Jesus did, or succumb to it. "He was tempted in every way as we were, yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15).

The Pharisees were smartazzes. They liked to find ways to bend the law and appear righteous, so Jesus was clarifying that when you are getting your high by being close enough to dwelling in sin without appearing to actually be sinning, then you are still in error.

In short, there is nothing wrong with having a hard-one when that hot tamale passes by. It is a natural biological reaction, although you may also learn to control it. What actually counts is how you dwell on the thoughts after the biological reaction in your boxers. If you think you can enjoy fantasizing about that woman with glorious bo.obs and an amazing bo.oty in your office - without any consequences, you're in error because the more you yield to temptation, the harder it will be to resist further temptation. It's a slippery slope.

Your thoughts?
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by Ishilove: 4:24am On Jun 01, 2016
InesQor:
@PastorAIO

Here's my take. I think the problem with sin and temptation is "continuity" i.e. continuing in sin. Everyone will find themselves tempted (i.e. contemplating it) at some time or the other, and they will have opportunities to resist the temptation, like Jesus did, or succumb to it. "He was tempted in every way as we were, yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15).

The Pharisees were smartazzes. They liked to find ways to bend the law and appear righteous, so Jesus was clarifying that when you are getting your high by being close enough to dwelling in sin without appearing to actually be sinning, then you are still in error.

In short, there is nothing wrong with having a hard-one when that hot tamale passes by. It is a natural biological reaction, although you may also learn to control it. What actually counts is how you dwell on the thoughts after the biological reaction in your boxers. If you think you can enjoy fantasizing about that woman with glorious bo.obs and an amazing bo.oty in your office - without any consequences, you're in error because the more you yield to temptation, the harder it will be to resist further temptation. It's a slippery slope.

Your thoughts?
Nice one
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by InesQor(m): 4:44am On Jun 01, 2016
Ishilove:

Nice one
Ishi bebe smiley How have you been? I missed you a bit.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by Ishilove: 4:51am On Jun 01, 2016
InesQor:

Ishi bebe smiley How have you been? I missed you a bit.
Ma niqqa... I missed you a bit too smiley

I've been okay o. Jungle don mature so the violent is taking it by force cheesy
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by InesQor(m): 5:24am On Jun 01, 2016
Ishilove:

Ma niqqa... I missed you a bit too smiley
kiss kiss

Ishilove:
I've been okay o. Jungle don mature so the violent is taking it by force cheesy
Kudos jare. No be small thing my sister.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 9:54am On Jun 01, 2016
shalom4eva:

he has answered your question ma brother. the devil came for the weak spot nd was defeated bt because he dint wnt to concede to defeat he decided to do 'try ur luck' bt also encountered defeat. look at it criticaly, if jesus was kingdom hungry the tempter wld hv started from showin him kingdoms but he started from that weak spot wch is fud. hope you grab my points

So according to you Malvisguy212 was wrong when he said the following:

malvisguy212:
Temptation attack a WEAK spot, trials are meant for the STRONG spot.

Satan first tried the weak spot so that was temptation. Then he got desperate and decided to do 'try ur luck' in which case he would have been attacking strong spots. Therefore according to Malvis that is not temptation but Trial. And Trial comes from God.
Ergo: Satan is equal to God.

It seems to me that you are ready to twist and distort the bible just to protect certain non-biblical doctrines that you have taken up. Of course I'm not surprised.

malvisguy212:
see, you are missing the point, the forty days fasting is the time when jesus has weakness ( hungry) Why dint satan came to Him again after the fasting ? Because that was The ONLY time satan see the weakness, To satan, that was jesus weakness, but Thy Lord's prevail.

Luke 4: 13And when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 10:02am On Jun 01, 2016
It is very hard to draw that dividing line between the 'natural biological reaction' and dwelling on contemplating the action. How many seconds is one allowed to be aware of the sweet tingling before it stops being just a natural biological reaction and becomes a full blown fantasy.

InesQor:
@PastorAIO

Your thoughts?

1 Like

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by malvisguy212: 10:29am On Jun 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

Satan first tried the weak spot so that was temptation. Then he got desperate and decided to do 'try ur luck' in which case he would have been attacking strong spots. Therefore according to Malvis that is not temptation but Trial. And Trial comes from God.

It seems to me that you are ready to twist and distort the bible just to protect certain non-biblical doctrines that you have taken up. Of course I'm not surprised.

Luke 4: 13And when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time.

are you doing this things on purpose ? When you made public declaration of faith, as what happen in river Jordan, that's were the devil will come in . Our Lord’s human nature enables Him to sympathize with our own weaknesses, because He was subjected to weakness, too. More importantly, we have a High Priest who is able to intercede on our behalf and provide the grace of forgiveness. .

Read matthew chapter one. it was the spirit who led jesus into the wilderness to be tempted by satan, everything happen according to God's plan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by shalom4eva(m): 10:50am On Jun 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

nope, he was very correct, at dt tym there was a weak spot (hunger) and strong spots nd accordin to wats in the bible, we read dt he was led by the spirit (nd not by the devil) into the wilderness to b tempted, meanin God know abt it nd dt qualifies it as a trial according to Malvisguy212. secondly, there was a weak spot (hunger) wch was xploited by d devil and dt also qualifies the statement as temptation. bros dont turn things upsyd dwn,read and allow God to interprete to u.tanx
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 01, 2016
shalom4eva:

nope, he was very correct, at dt tym there was a weak spot (hunger)
Hunger isn't a weakness. Rather, it's a natural reaction to staying without food. Jesus was fasting in the wilderness, constraining himself in order to be in God's presence. An empty stomach wasn't Jesus' weakness. He wasn't tempted to eat. He was tempted to turn stone to bread.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 11:52am On Jun 01, 2016
shalom4eva:

nope, he was very correct, at dt tym there was a weak spot (hunger) and strong spots nd accordin to wats in the bible, we read dt he was led by the spirit (nd not by the devil) into the wilderness to b tempted, meanin God know abt it nd dt qualifies it as a trial according to Malvisguy212. secondly, there was a weak spot (hunger) wch was xploited by d devil and dt also qualifies the statement as temptation. bros dont turn things upsyd dwn,read and allow God to interprete to u.tanx

So it was temptation and trial all at the same time. Because they were attacking weak spots and strong spots at the same time. God doesn't tempt but people but he tries people. So while Satan was attack Jesus on one side with temptation, God was attacking the other side with trials.

Please continue. I'm learning.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 11:54am On Jun 01, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Hunger isn't a weakness. Rather, it's a natural reaction to staying without food. Jesus was fasting in the wilderness, constraining himself in order to be in God's presence. An empty stomach wasn't Jesus' weakness. He wasn't tempted to eat. He was tempted to turn stone to bread.

Abeg left them. This one is more than a case of Confusion breaking Bone.

Confusion has breaked bone, pulverised bone, minced it up, and served it to them for an unholy eucharist.

1 Like

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by johnydon22(m): 11:57am On Jun 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

So it was temptation and trial all at the same time. Because they were attacking weak spots and strong spots at the same time. God doesn't tempt but people but he tries people. So while Satan was attack Jesus on one side with temptation, God was attacking the other side with trials.

Please continue. I'm learning.

It simply means God set Jesus up to be messed with to test his resolve (God's temptation is called trial so this is Trial)

then as a chief prosecutor of God's whims and tests Satan carried out the test called temptation.

So that's the relationship.

It was all God's will and plan, satan followed the almighty instruction and carried out the temptation but all in all it's all God's trial.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 11:59am On Jun 01, 2016
malvisguy212:
are you doing this things on purpose ? When you made public declaration of faith, as what happen in river Jordan, that's were the devil will come in . Our Lord’s human nature enables Him to sympathize with our own weaknesses, because He was subjected to weakness, too. More importantly, we have a High Priest who is able to intercede on our behalf and provide the grace of forgiveness. .

Read matthew chapter one. it was the spirit who led jesus into the wilderness to be tempted by satan, everything happen according to God's plan.

What exactly do you mean when you say 'subjected to weakness'. Do you mean that Jesus experienced what I experienced at the first flush of puberty, when I looked at our neighbours daughter and spontaneously had a glorious awakening. I rose to the occasion like I never knew I could.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 12:02pm On Jun 01, 2016
johnydon22:

It simply means God set Jesus up to be messed with to test his resolve (God's temptation is called trial so this is Trial)

then as a chief prosecutor of God's whims and tests Satan carried out the test called temptation.

So that's the relationship.

It was all God's will and plan, satan followed the almighty instruction and carried out the temptation but all in all it's all God's trial.

I get it. And seen it is the same greek word that is translated into trial and temptation though they are different depending on whether God is involved or not it therefore follows that the bible has been mistranslated in calling the incident the temptations of Christ.

It should be called the Trials of Christ.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by johnydon22(m): 12:11pm On Jun 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

I get it. And seen it is the same greek word that is translated into trial and temptation though they are different depending on whether God is involved or not it therefore follows that the bible has been mistranslated in calling the incident the temptations of Christ.

- A christian do not need a dictionary, only his wits and the bible and he can coin words to mean exactly what he wants...

I doubt if you have ever seen a definition of TRIAL that is "test from God" and a definition of temptation that is "test from satan".

but in the christian mind coining up anything no matter how absurd is okay as long as you are trying to wriggle your way out in your own self induced labyrinth of biblical interpretations.

so today we have been dragged to a whole set of English class by a classical show of unreserved Christian apologetic .

It should be called the Trials of Christ.

Yes sure since the whole saga was all orchestrated by God

2 Likes

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by malvisguy212: 12:17pm On Jun 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

What exactly do you mean when you say 'subjected to weakness'. Do you mean that Jesus experienced what I experienced at the first flush of puberty, when I looked at our neighbours daughter and spontaneously had a glorious awakening. I rose to the occasion like I never knew I could.
jesus is subjected to weakness, but the bible say He never sin, He never give in to the work of the flash. Thank you for your time, have a nice day.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 1:00pm On Jun 01, 2016
If to say you get holy spirit to teach you you nor go dey talk this kain rubbish. Nor be your fault.

johnydon22:

- A christian do not need a dictionary, only his wits and the bible and he can coin words to mean exactly what he wants...

I doubt if you have ever seen a definition of TRIAL that is "test from God" and a definition of temptation that is "test from satan".

but in the christian mind coining up anything no matter how absurd is okay as long as you are trying to wriggle your way out in your own self induced labyrinth of biblical interpretations.

so today we have been dragged to a whole set of English class by a classical show of unreserved Christian apologetic .

Yes sure since the whole saga was all orchestrated by God
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 1:02pm On Jun 01, 2016
malvisguy212:
jesus is subjected to weakness, but the bible say He never sin, He never give in to the work of the flash. Thank you for your time, have a nice day.

See how you constantly fail. Na so them dey fail exam o!

I did not ask you if Jesus sinned. I asked if you mean that He was subjected to weakness the way I am subjected to weakness. That's all. If you can't answer my question that's okay. Talk anything you want to talk but don't quote me as if you are addressing my question when you are not.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by malvisguy212: 1:09pm On Jun 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

See how you constantly fail. Na so them dey fail exam o!

I did not ask you if Jesus sinned. I asked if you mean that He was subjected to weakness the way I am subjected to weakness. That's all. If you can't answer my question that's okay. Talk anything you want to talk but don't quote me as if you are addressing my question when you are not.
is their any other way humans are subjected to weakness other than the one we All knows ? You guys are very good in argument.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 01, 2016
malvisguy212:
is their any other way humans are subjected to weakness other than the one we All knows ? You guys are very good in argument.
One only reqiires basic comprehension skills to see the gaping holes in your logic.
Which Jesus was weak? Jesus the God or Jesus the Man? What does 'subjecting oneself to weakness' mean?
If any 'subjecting' was being done, it was Jesus taming his flesh to his will.
But, na wa.. why not just learn Greek so you can be closer to God? Who knows the many misconceptions you might have because a word was loosely or wrongly translated?
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 1:51pm On Jun 01, 2016
malvisguy212:

Good, that's all I was asking.

So as a human he would have felt all the urges that I feel too. Even though he never carried out any sinful acts, yet he must have felt tingling when he sighted a scrumptious specimen of womanity.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by malvisguy212: 2:47pm On Jun 01, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

One only reqiires basic comprehension skills to see the gaping holes in your logic.
Which Jesus was weak? Jesus the God or Jesus the Man? What does 'subjecting oneself to weakness' mean?
If any 'subjecting' was being done, it was Jesus taming his flesh to his will.
But, na wa.. why not just learn Greek so you can be closer to God? Who knows the many misconceptions you might have because a word was loosely or wrongly translated?
christ is a man, he was subjected to weakness, but the bible say He never sin. God the son is not subjected to weakness, He made His dwelling on the man (christ) who know no sins, God the son dwell on the man jesus because His body is sinless, purest, the bible say God hate sin, that's why God made his dwelling on christ.
Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by malvisguy212: 2:48pm On Jun 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

malvisguy212:
christ is a man, he was subjected to weakness, but the bible say He never sin. God the son is not subjected to weakness, He made His dwelling on the man (christ) who know no sins, God the son dwell on the man jesus because His body is sinless, purest, the bible say God hate sin, that's why God made his dwelling on christ.
PastorAIO:

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by InesQor(m): 4:29pm On Jun 01, 2016
PastorAIO:
It is very hard to draw that dividing line between the 'natural biological reaction' and dwelling on contemplating the action. How many seconds is one allowed to be aware of the sweet tingling before it stops being just a natural biological reaction and becomes a full blown fantasy.

Yes it's hard to draw the line between a subconscious reaction and a conscious one, but each person knows when they begin "dwelling" on thoughts of sin. The very fact that we "hear" suggestions of temptation in our subconscious means we are liable to sin, but when we consciously begin to fantasize on it then the tables turn and we are dwelling in sin.

Jesus was "tempted in all ways as we are". This statement would make no sense if he never had the urges or was not liable to sin, but the key thing is that he didn't dwell on them.

John wrote about this, understanding that "newcomers in faith" (i.e. those with less experience handling sin) need to be guided out of it.
I write this, dear children, to guide you out of sin. But if anyone does sin, we have a Priest-Friend in the presence of the Father: Jesus Christ, righteous Jesus. When he served as a sacrifice for our sins, he solved the sin problem for good—not only ours, but the whole world’s.

"Solving the sin problem for good" means that Jesus' sacrifice gives us a fallback when we do sin. That's some hope, at least.

And he tops it up in 1 John 2:15-17 by telling us how to keep ourselves from living in sin. Reading the below passage shows that it takes a conscious effort. The subconscious temptation in itself doesn't count, so that "number of seconds" between the subconscious and conscious can't be something fixed for everyone. Sin is isolating ourselves from God, and there are some common triggers for it.
Don’t love the world’s ways. Don’t love the world’s goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world—wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important—has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out—but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity.

Sin places that gun in our hands, we feel the weight and contemplate using it. The choice to press the trigger is always ours, but the longer you hold on to the gun and admire its beauty and grow dependent on it for your protection, the more likely you will use it on someone.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nature/character Of Temptation. by PastorAIO: 5:25pm On Jun 01, 2016
InesQor:

[size=4pt]
Yes it's hard to draw the line between a subconscious reaction and a conscious one, but each person knows when they begin "dwelling" on thoughts of sin. The very fact that we "hear" suggestions of temptation in our subconscious means we are liable to sin, but when we consciously begin to fantasize on it then the tables turn and we are dwelling in sin.

Jesus was "tempted in all ways as we are". This statement would make no sense if he never had the urges or was not liable to sin, but the key thing is that he didn't dwell on them.

John wrote about this, understanding that "newcomers in faith" (i.e. those with less experience handling sin) need to be guided out of it.
I write this, dear children, to guide you out of sin. But if anyone does sin, we have a Priest-Friend in the presence of the Father: Jesus Christ, righteous Jesus. When he served as a sacrifice for our sins, he solved the sin problem for good—not only ours, but the whole world’s.

"Solving the sin problem for good" means that Jesus' sacrifice gives us a fallback when we do sin. That's some hope, at least.

And he tops it up in 1 John 2:15-17 by telling us how to keep ourselves from living in sin. Reading the below passage shows that it takes a conscious effort. The subconscious temptation in itself doesn't count, so that "number of seconds" between the subconscious and conscious can't be something fixed for everyone. Sin is isolating ourselves from God, and there are some common triggers for it.
Don’t love the world’s ways. Don’t love the world’s goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world—wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important—has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out—but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity.

Sin places that gun in our hands, we feel the weight and contemplate using it. The choice to press the trigger is always ours, but the longer you hold on to the gun and admire its beauty and grow dependent on it for your protection, the more likely you will use it on someone.[/size]

This is very stimulating and thought provoking. Immediately I think about the distinction of the conscious and unconscious as per Freud. And also the issue of autonomy and will and the Human soul. But I'll have to come back to you with my thoughts on that. nice one.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ramadan Beheading !! Graphic Video Of Muslims Beheading A Christian !!! / If God Ask You To Make A Wish, What Would You Ask For? / Why Are Christians Always Trying To Convert You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.