Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,256 members, 7,822,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m (26764 Views)

Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) / Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) / Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by realjoker(m): 8:48am On May 30, 2016

* Seek Chinese, CBN’s support
From I heanacho Nwosu, Fred Itua
and Aidoghie Paulinus, Abuja

FORMER Abia governor and eminent businessman, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu has revealed plans to set up a 12,000 hectares of farm in the state valued at over $400 million.
Kalu, who disclosed this at the weekend when he visited outgoing Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Gu Xiaojie, said when fully operational, the farm would create millions of jobs for Nigerians and export, in commercial quantity, to other parts of the world.
While thanking the Chinese envoy for establishing strong ties with the Nigerian government and the people, Kalu said as soon as the ongoing drafting of the project plan for the farm is ready, it would be unveiled to the public.
He added that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Chinese Nexim Bank, as well as Sign Ocean company, located in the Southeast country, will be approached to provide financial support for the takeoff of the multi-million project.

Kalu said: “It was good having you here and we hope that other Chinese Ambassadors will work very hard like you. I also hope they will build on the relationship you have established with Nigerian government and the people. I believe the Republic of China and the Federal Republic of Nigeria have a lot to learn from each other. [b]
“We believe the recent visit of President Buhari to China will usher in development in the agricultural, business and other sectors of the economy.
“As you are aware, our company has placed orders for ships worth over $250 million from China companies. We are in discussion with a Chinese company. We have 12,000 hectares of land in Abia State. The drawings are in progress on how to have a modern farm that will have palm oil farm in 5,000 hectares. We will plant maize in 2,000 hectares and other vegetables in 1,000 hectares.
“We are going to have a big poultry and field mills. We are in discussion. Once we are done with the drawings, we will make an ap­plication to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Abia State government and the Chinese Nexim Bank. We will also apply to Sign Ocean Company so that we can work together on the equipment and support needed for the take off of the farm.
“We are hoping this cooperation will be of great importance to Nigeria and China. I do not know the exact net worth of the farm. They are still working on that. But, it should be in the neighborhood of $400 million. It is going to be a huge farm for exports.”
In his response, the outgoing Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Xiaojie, said China and Nigeria have very close contacts and would continue to maintain them. He said efforts were already in place to commence the full imple­mentation of the outcome of President Buhari’s visit to China in April. [/b]
He recalled how, during his tenure in Nigeria, the country witnessed a very smooth transition from one government to another.
He further noted that the visit of President Buhari to China was a landmark achievement in the Nigeria-China diplomatic relationship. He said during his tenure as head of the Chinese envoy to Nigeria, both countries witnessed the 45th celebration of the establishment of diplomatic ties.
China, he added, would want to build on the existing ties between the two countries, saying that in his two-year stint in the country, he took out time to visit some states, even as he expressed regret that he could not visit all. He expressed confidence in the future of Nigeria, a country he said, has great potentials.
“Nigeria and Chinese government officials are working closely to commence the implementation of the outcome of the state visit of President Buhari to China. These are in the areas of industry, com­merce, agriculture, health and other sectors of the economy,” he revealed.
http://sunnewsonline.com/kalu-floats-400m-farm/

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by Young03(m): 8:51am On May 30, 2016
Nairaland EFFC over to u

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by AustineE1: 9:00am On May 30, 2016
Igbos thinking home for the right reasons...
Kudos to UOK

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by kettykin: 9:04am On May 30, 2016
This is what igbos need to do now, divesting 70% from other parts of Nigeria like Lagos and Abuja and invest onshore in the east and offshore outside the country. Imagine abia getting 3 of this type of investment in agriculture, manufacturing and services. The need to go outside the state will not be there

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by Marcelini(m): 9:51am On May 30, 2016
Ife ekwuru ekwu, emeghi eme ka nku.

29 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by olafum1(m): 9:54am On May 30, 2016
Great Development.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by mrvitalis(m): 10:02am On May 30, 2016
A 12,000 heactres farm for $400 million? Are u high??
That's no were near $100 million
Dangote is investigating $1bn in rice farming and owns 700000 heactres and building a rice Mill all for a billion dollars and u are saying this rubbish
No wonder u failed as a Governor, baba give me $50 million I will set up a farm twice that size and make lots of profit for u

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by carreport(m): 10:45am On May 30, 2016
These are the kind of news we need in the South East.
mrvitalis:
A 12,000 heactres farm for $400 million? Are u high??
That's no were near $100 million
Dangote is investigating $1bn in rice farming and owns 700000 heactres and building a rice Mill all for a billion dollars and u are saying this rubbish
No wonder u failed as a Governor, baba give me $50 million I will set up a farm twice that size and make lots of profit for u
Is it your money or land?

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by larion: 10:45am On May 30, 2016
Excellent!

This is wat I want to see, this is what I want to hear.
Nigeria can't feed Africa, talkless of the world. Why can't we just focus on feeding Africa. I mean, everybody in Nigeria, govt, private and individual.....funny enough, Nigerians are copy cat, once it can work for one person, everybody will follow.

We have the land, we have the labour (people), we have the entrepreneurs.... Only thing we need is to get irrigation and storage right. This is why I maintain that this government is not serious they still talking and looking at oil....jokers!

I maintain, it is very easy, very very easy! Only seriousness is needed, let the government get d land, form partnership with experts in Asia.

The goal is to employ, with this Nigerians can be given 3 months renewable contracts. Different operations on the farm, you can start with d lowest pay of 30k monthly, its gonna be like a camp, provide temporary housing and feeding close to the farm....zero accommodation.

With this 30k (for unskilled workers), many youths will troop into sign their first 3 months contract cos they know the won't spend much during the 3 months as accommodation and feed has been taken care of.

Now you also have skilled workers, who will definitely earn more, temporary and permanent workers.

Gbam! All the proceeds goes to the govt or the cooperation involved. This proceeds can all be exported, buyers abroad can have more trust because they have dealing with govt or cooperations, now this proceeds can sell fast and the money reinvested.

Anything and everything that can grow should be planted. We have just 160m people in Nigeria and there are over 6billion in the world, we can't meet the supply. This simply means we can all be employed, I mean everybody in Nigeria including Tinubu and GEJ. No question of it can't go round like our bank and oil jobs.

Federal govt, state govt, local govt....cooperations , everybody should be involved in this, a jobless youth can sign 3 months contract with Enugu state govt, after working the 3 months, he or she moves to kano and sign another 3 months and work. Even if she's a computer science graduate, she can manage this for some time before getting her computer job.

While this is on going, the pressure can be relieved, government can focus on other areas like power, education, health and manufacturing. We'll come back from the farm and notice our power has increased from 4hrs to 12hrs, we'll go to the hospital and realised our health care has improved, all while we were busy

This is very easy, the govt just needs to be responsible. With this, even PDP will not have time for opposition cos they gonna be busy, and Nigerians can copy, once it works, it becomes a fever. We need to wake up! We need to and honestly it has to start from the government!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by Integrityfarms(m): 10:45am On May 30, 2016
Mehn this farm will be ultra modern o!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by Nobody: 10:46am On May 30, 2016
carreport:
These are the kind of news we need in the South East.
At least After ripping off ABIA STATE, he still remembers to bring some Home.

He did well abiiii... ??

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by StepTwo: 10:47am On May 30, 2016
the man don turn presidential spokesman abi him don dei buhari cabinet?

why is he using we, to represent the government?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by QuotaSystem: 10:47am On May 30, 2016
Kudos OUK.

StepTwo:
the man don turn presidential spokesman abi him don dei buhari cabinet?
why is he using we, to represent the government?

The smart businessman is keying into the diversification efforts of President Buhari, I expect him to benefit from the various waivers and grants that the FG has designed to encourage investors into agriculture.

Instead of screaming 'OYEL' up and down, Kalu has seen the future is green and not black, and is helping diversify the economy which the ineffectual buffoon failed to do.

These are the smart Ibo men. Kudos.

13 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by 5starmilitant: 10:47am On May 30, 2016
Nice one coming from the desk of the richest Igbo man in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by olaitoro(m): 10:47am On May 30, 2016
Marcelini:
Ife ekwuru ekwu, emeghi eme ka nku.

My dear, I tire.

Hope this one will materialized smiley

8 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by 5starmilitant: 10:48am On May 30, 2016
EVILFOREST:

He did well abiiii... ??

It will be of good if other thieves likes ameachi, fashola, Aregbe, oshomOLE and the rest can follow Suit. This act is good and commendable jor.

6 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by carreport(m): 10:48am On May 30, 2016
EVILFOREST:

He did well abiiii... ??
If others do the same we will not be having forex and capital flight problems.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by olaitoro(m): 10:49am On May 30, 2016
EVILFOREST:

He did well abiiii... ??

You might be right, you know? grin
Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 10:49am On May 30, 2016
kettykin:
This is what igbos need to do now, divesting 70% from other parts of Nigeria like Lagos and Abuja and invest onshore in the east and offshore outside the country. Imagine abia getting 3 of this type of investment in agriculture, manufacturing and services. The need to go outside the state will not be there
No you are wrong. This is what the ibos should start doing now - Blow up all the Infrastructure in the South East the same way the Niger Delta Militatnts are blowing up the Oil and Gas Installations in the South South. Bomb the Niger Bridge, Bomb the Aria Market, Bomb the Onitsha Main Market etc etc

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by Nobody: 10:50am On May 30, 2016
Kudos to him

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by Emmaoga: 10:50am On May 30, 2016
ways to cover there looting...

if I become a counsellor or a minister and I didn't blow once..........

then you know that my great great great grand fathers are still alive discussing my matter.
Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by Shubbylee(m): 10:52am On May 30, 2016
$400million for just 12,000 hectares of land?! EndTime Farm!!

3 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by anonimi: 10:52am On May 30, 2016
I hope that his Personal Income TAX returns of recent years reflects such invested money as earned and DECLARED income.
I hope.

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/pcvhprupz53v0i2s3lqkiiftaebf16ps1287728[/img]

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by DickDastardly(m): 10:53am On May 30, 2016
Thief

3 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by Nobody: 10:53am On May 30, 2016
He is giving back to the society what he has stolen.

7 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by Jokkarm: 10:54am On May 30, 2016
My former Governor, I always respect you in your business ideas .
No mater what the enemies are doing , you keep growing like a tree planted beside a river.
May this dream come to reality, please I will suggest that cassava be integrated in that project do enough garri will be available .
Thank you for your vision and mission .

4 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by omonnakoda: 10:54am On May 30, 2016
I remember him he is the Eboe guy that is so rich the Nigerian Central Bank asked him to take his money to the World Bank because it was so much and they had no space to keep it.When he got there the World bank could only accommodate half and the other half had to go to the IMF. At least that is what Igboson ,Sunnybobo,Adaure4ever ,manny4life and many other Eboes say. Rich Eboe guyns wink wink

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by anonimi: 10:55am On May 30, 2016
Jokkarm:
My former Governor, I always respect you in your business ideas .
No mater what the enemies are doing , you keep growing a tree planted beside a river.
May this dream come to reality, please I will suggest that cassava be integrated in that project do enough garri will be available .
Thank you for your vision and mission .

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2174510_nigeriansmobmentality_jpegd710c25fa577a4f0fb35da579ff1eb3d

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Orji Uzor-Kalu's Mega Farm In Abia State To Cost $400m by SailorXY: 10:56am On May 30, 2016
realjoker:

http://sunnewsonline.com/kalu-floats-400m-farm/
Good path. All agricultural investments should be welcome @ this stage cuz famine is not so far off.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Invest In My 20 Hectare Watermelon/cucumber Farm / Rice Harvest: Kebbi Now Haven To Millers, Buyers / Man Ties Tree With Juju Cloth To Scare People, But See What Happened Next. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.