Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? (20623 Views)

Medicine Or Pilot? Which One Should I Go For? / Medicine Or Pharmacy.which One Is Tougher? / How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by croSStodds(m): 6:08pm On May 30, 2016
I'm currently studying Medical biochemistry and my Dad wants me to go for a professional course in pursuit of my second degree.I've been advised by many to study pharmacy owing to the fact it's relatively more lucrative compared to medicine.I like both equally but I'm really confused about the one to study right now.

I would like the erudite and learned fellows in this section to clear the air comprehensively for my sake in relation to what both entails.....
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by thesicilian: 6:31pm On May 30, 2016
Pharmacists in Nigeria are just glorified sales reps. If all the factors are the same for both courses then I'll suggest you go for Medicine. The options are unlimited.

4 Likes

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Tastemoney(m): 6:54pm On May 30, 2016
I would prefer u go for pharmacy...

Medicine can only make u an average citizen (financially)

But as a successful pharmacist, u ll smell cool money...

Pharmacy is several folds better than medicine...

It's a glorified name

2 Likes

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by croSStodds(m): 7:22pm On May 30, 2016
thesicilian:
Pharmacists in Nigeria are just glorified sales reps. If all the factors are the same for both courses then I'll suggest you go for Medicine. The options are unlimited.
What do you mean by glorified sales rep?
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Boyoski09: 8:23pm On May 30, 2016
croSStodds:
advanced sales rep
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by thesicilian: 8:34pm On May 30, 2016
croSStodds:

99.95% of them end up selling drugs for the pharmaceutical companies, either as sales Representatives or in their own shops ( for those who have enough money to set up a pharmacy store).
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by croSStodds(m): 9:20pm On May 30, 2016
thesicilian:

99.95% of them end up selling drugs for the pharmaceutical companies, either as sales Representatives or in their own shops ( for those who have enough money to set up a pharmacy store).
SeriouslyBut someone told me they can choose to work in any field e.g hospital or Governmental organization like NAFDAC and NDLEA,I also learnt they make a lot of money from their own community pharmacy like a daily earn of nothing less than 4 to 5hundred thousand grand.
So there's nothing like production and manufacturing of drugs?Anyway,thanks for your info.
what about medicine?Can u painstakingly enlighten me?pls

1 Like

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by thesicilian: 10:17pm On May 30, 2016
croSStodds:
SeriouslyBut someone told me they can choose to work in any field e.g hospital or Governmental organization like NAFDAC and NDLEA,I also learnt they make a lot of money from their own community pharmacy like a daily earn of nothing less than 4 to 5hundred thousand grand.
So there's nothing like production and manufacturing of drugs?Anyway,thanks for your info.
what about medicine?Can u painstakingly enlighten me?pls

And how many pharmacists do you think NAFDAC & NDLEA employe yearly? Its like engineering graduates and Shell or Chevron.

Medicine is more lucrative on the average, you can choose to specialize in any field of interest like surgery, internal medicine, radiology, anaesthesiology etc. While doctors generally barely have time for themselves, there are some specialties like radiology, pathology etc that are a bit more flexible.

2 Likes

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Breezy90(m): 11:57pm On May 30, 2016
thesicilian:

And how many pharmacists do you think NAFDAC & NDLEA employe yearly? Its like engineering graduates and Shell or Chevron.

Medicine is more lucrative on the average, you can choose to specialize in any field of interest like surgery, internal medicine, radiology, anaesthesiology etc. While doctors generally barely have time for themselves, there are some specialties like radiology, pathology etc that are a bit more flexible.
why are u misleading the poor lad.dont riducle the profession just because you want to prove a point.pharmacy is very lucrative than medicine I have worked in a community pharmacy and we sell up to 800k daily tell me how many hospitals earn that dialy.u go to hospital they diagnose you and u still end u getting drugs to cure ur ailment.think well brother and tow the path to greatness.if u choose to study in Nigeria pharmacy is a better option but overseas medicine my brother.be wise

3 Likes

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by thesicilian: 12:28am On May 31, 2016
OP pls bear in mind that 70% of those who study pharmacy only do so as a second option, with the initial goal being medicine. Again I speak as someone with experience in both fields.
Don't make your decision solely on advice from Nairaland. Take your time to visit some pharmacists and doctors one on one, ask them questions. That's the best way to know what you're getting into before its too late. Take care bro.

4 Likes

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:20am On May 31, 2016
Breezy90:
why are u misleading the poor lad.dont riducle the profession just because you want to prove a point.pharmacy is very lucrative than medicine I have worked in a community pharmacy and we sell up to 800k daily tell me how many hospitals earn that dialy.u go to hospital they diagnose you and u still end u getting drugs to cure ur ailment.think well brother and tow the path to greatness.if u choose to study in Nigeria pharmacy is a better option but overseas medicine my brother.be wise
All private hospitals have pharmacies, so, what's your point? Do you know how much doctors make in their private hospitals? Do you know CS takes only 30 mins but a doctor gets btw 100-150 for that ?

if you are looking for money, just do money rituals.

2 Likes

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Bhuumhite(f): 4:56pm On Jun 04, 2016
thesicilian:
OP pls bear in mind that 70% of those who study pharmacy only do so as a second option, with the initial goal being medicine. Again I speak as someone with experience in both fields.
Don't make your decision solely on advice from Nairaland. Take your time to visit some pharmacists and doctors one on one, ask them questions. That's the best way to know what you're getting into before its too late. Take care bro.
don't say 70%!....there are lot of people who want pharmacy and go for it,not everybody loves medicine

2 Likes

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by aliandro(m): 7:05pm On Jun 04, 2016
Pharmacist against Doctors.....All is well

1 Like

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Nobody: 1:29am On Jun 05, 2016
Very dull post. Why will someone compare the United States and China just because China is an emerging market? Pharmacy is 5years, medicine is 6yrs. Bpharm is a single hon, mbbs is a double hon. Most trained pharmacists would rather work in the hospital and there the doctor is the head of the team. Pharmacy run on semester basis like your medical biochemistry, medicine run on clinical posting. This means that one runs a 6month per session programme, the other runs a whole year postings with very rare intermittent breaks, eg public holidays and few days to Christmas. If you eventually chose pharmacy, you will find pharmacology most enticing, but the doctor would be taught everything you learn in pharmacology. Tho you will never be bored as a student pharmacist, and you will have more time to yourself, ie if you are exceptional in chemistry of course. Some people argue that pharmacy is more difficult, but medicine is bulkier. You could get bored as a student doctor not because medicine is hard but because there's too much to learn and KNOW in a very short time. However both are noble professions and you will be disappointingly frustrated if you choose them to get rich. Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by croSStodds(m): 12:13pm On Jun 05, 2016
Efriday1:
Very dull post. Why will someone compare the United States and China just because China is an emerging market? Pharmacy is 5years, medicine is 6yrs. Bpharm is a single hon, mbbs is a double hon. Most trained pharmacists would rather work in the hospital and there the doctor is the head of the team. Pharmacy run on semester basis like your medical biochemistry, medicine run on clinical posting. This means that one runs a 6month per session programme, the other runs a whole year postings with very rare intermittent breaks, eg public holidays and few days to Christmas. If you eventually chose pharmacy, you will find pharmacology most enticing, but the doctor would be taught everything you learn in pharmacology. Tho you will never be bored as a student pharmacist, and you will have more time to yourself, ie if you are exceptional in chemistry of course. Some people argue that pharmacy is more difficult, but medicine is bulkier. You could get bored as a student doctor not because medicine is hard but because there's too much to learn and KNOW in a very short time. However both are noble professions and you will be disappointingly frustrated if you choose them to get rich. Thanks.
OK sir.But what's with the double honor?That part makes no iota of sense to me anyway.it's just like saying Sociology and anthropology is a double degree.A first degree is a first degree.That's quite ironical if you take a look at it.
Also,I'll take you calling my post a dull one a direct attack on my personality.You can disseminate your ideas without venting any modicum of aggression.
If the doctor does know everything the pharmacist know about pharmacology,why does the pharmacy have the right to cancel out any ambiguous prescription?Well,I don't wish to work in a hospital as a pharmacist.I would better work in big retail chains or industries,reason being our health sector is in shambolic slough of despondency.It's always Johesu vs nma,no harmony @ all.

Anyway,thank you very much for taking your time explicating these sir.May God reward you with infinite gratification.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 05, 2016
croSStodds:
OK sir.But what's with the double honor?That part makes no iota of sense to me anyway.it's just like saying Sociology and anthropology is a double degree.A first degree is a first degree.That's quite ironical if you take a look at it.
Also,I'll take you calling my post a dull one a direct attack on my personality.You can disseminate your ideas without venting any modicum of aggression.
If the doctor does know everything the pharmacist know about pharmacology,why does the pharmacy have the right to cancel out any ambiguous prescription?Well,I don't wish to work in a hospital as a pharmacist.I would better work in big retail chains or industries,reason being our health sector is in shambolic slough of despondency.It's always Johesu vs nma,no harmony @ all.

Anyway,thank you very much for taking your time explicating these sir.May God reward you with infinite gratification.
Sorry no offence intended. Just that I expected you to reason somethings out , fortunately you are more informed than I thought and obviously polarised. Apparently medical bch has a lot more career opportunities in common with pharmacy than medicine and you just indicated that your mind is already made up. But I'll advice you to go for what you want not look for justification to hold on to what you can get. With due respect Bro, I would like to say that you are not perfectly correct when you say first degree is first degree because the time input in obtaining university certificate for different first degree programmes is not exactly the same and as such a degree from a full 6 year course is not necessarily equivalent to a 6month/session 4/5 year programme. Also in as much as I do not dispute the fact that a pharmacist know more about a drug than a doctor(for the concept of a drug entails more than just pharmacology), and as such can query a prescription from a doctor, I beg to disagree with your statement about a pharmacist having the right to cancel a prescription. Such can only happen in a place where clients are ill informed. I'm neither a doctor nor a pharmacist. I'm a teacher with the passion to educate. Thank u.

4 Likes

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by croSStodds(m): 11:32pm On Jun 05, 2016
Efriday1:

Sorry no offence intended. Just that I expected you to reason somethings out , fortunately you are more informed than I thought and obviously polarised. Apparently medical bch has a lot more career opportunities in common with pharmacy than medicine and you just indicated that your mind is already made up. But I'll advice you to go for what you want not look for justification to hold on to what you can get. With due respect Bro, I would like to say that you are not perfectly correct when you say first degree is first degree because the time input in obtaining university certificate for different first degree programmes is not exactly the same and as such a degree from a full 6 year course is not necessarily equivalent to a 6month/session 4/5 year programme. Also in as much as I do not dispute the fact that a pharmacist know more about a drug than a doctor(for the concept of a drug entails more than just pharmacology), and as such can query a prescription from a doctor, I beg to disagree with your statement about a pharmacist having the right to cancel a prescription. Such can only happen in a place where clients are ill informed. I'm neither a doctor nor a pharmacist. I'm a teacher with the passion to educate. Thank u.
Thank you sir!!!!I'll ponder on it.God bless you.
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by thesicilian: 6:07pm On Jun 06, 2016
Bhuumhite:
don't say 70%!....there are lot of people who want pharmacy and go for it,not everybody loves medicine
Don't have the actual statistics sha, but more than half of those I know. And I know a lot of them.
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Tamunonengi244(m): 8:09am On Aug 20, 2016
Since you already have a first degree in biochemistry I would advice u go for pharmacy.....medicine in Nigeria is too unpredictable with the current barrage of strikes here and there ur duration of study is Not certain as they don't follow the university calendar...unlike pharmacy u would finish in record time...the suffering in medicine is too much with its mediocre salary which many in society think its big.
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by SHOLLYDEX17: 11:32am On Jul 31, 2017
thesicilian:

70%.....u don't know what you are saying.....Stop saying it!!!!!
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Rexsul: 11:51am On Jul 31, 2017
Pls can I apply for pharmacy through. D.e with a b.tech biochemistry degree but second class lower with a cgpa above 3.0?....if yes pls which university will u suggest?

1 Like

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Irenemmeso(f): 11:28am On Aug 01, 2017
Lie , u can say 20% not 70% im a pharmacy student . Majority of them have great passion for pharmacy
thesicilian:

1 Like

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by thesicilian: 11:58am On Aug 01, 2017
Irenemmeso:
Lie , u can say 20% not 70% im a pharmacy student . Majority of them have great passion for pharmacy
passion ko, soulmate ni.
If you are sincere, you'll admit why you truly found yourself in pharmacy.
Its actually less than 40% that went for it as a first choice.
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by SHOLLYDEX17: 8:11pm On Aug 01, 2017
thesicilian:
passion ko, soulmate ni. If you are sincere, you'll admit why you truly found yourself in pharmacy. Its actually less than 40% that went for it as a first choice.

YOU DEFINITELY HAVE PROBLEM!!!!!
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by BillyCatfish: 8:36pm On Aug 01, 2017
Go for your heart
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Irenemmeso(f): 11:22pm On Aug 01, 2017
thesicilian:

passion ko, soulmate ni.
If you are sincere, you'll admit why you truly found yourself in pharmacy.
Its actually less than 40% that went for it as a first choice.
im sincere i love pharmacy ! Since my day one, i never liked medicine biko,and many of my coursemates too.

1 Like

Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by thesicilian: 2:57am On Aug 02, 2017
Irenemmeso:
im sincere i love pharmacy ! Since my day one, i never liked medicine biko,and many of my coursemates too.
That's nice to hear. How far have you gone?
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by Irenemmeso(f): 2:16pm On Aug 02, 2017
thesicilian:
That's nice to hear. How far have you gone?
100level
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by delana(m): 9:34am On Aug 03, 2017
Why not do some personal research on both courses , I mean the pros and cons of both courses, find the one which suits you and go ahead , the course one studies at times doesn't guarantee wealth , wealth is God's blessings and your own hard work.
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by kosheybhad(f): 10:55pm On Nov 10, 2019
Bhuumhite:
Like me
Re: Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? by kosheybhad(f): 11:06pm On Nov 10, 2019
croSStodds:
I'm currently studying Medical biochemistry and my Dad wants me to go for a professional course in pursuit of my second degree.I've been advised by many to study pharmacy owing to the fact it's relatively more lucrative compared to medicine.I like both equally but I'm really confused about the one to study right now.

I would like the erudite and learned fellows in this section to clear the air comprehensively for my sake in relation to what both entails.....
Pharmacy is a Noble and Versatile profession, you are not restricted to work in hospitals alone...Most big pharmaceutical industries like Emzor,swipha,Dr mayers,Neimeth,GSK,M&B and the likes are owned by pharmacists....Anyway,it depends on your passion for any of the courses...But me as a person has always preferred Pharmacy over any medical course right from start.

Good luck!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Reasons You Should Start A Side Hustle As A Working Class Nigerian / Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / Dropping Psychology For Nursing. Am I Making The Right Choice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.