Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,849 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems (5952 Views)

How Often Should One Run A Diagnostic Test On A Car / Mercedes Reportedly Sold Over A Million Vehicles By Cheating Emission Tests / Viecar VC002-A/B Mini OBDII Bluetooth Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool (4.5K) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Automaton09(m): 9:56pm On Jun 02, 2016
1. Verify the customer complain, simulate the scenarios that would cause the complain real time. Don't start by disassembling or testing until the fault have being narrowed down to systems, sub-systems or components.
2. Analyze the affected component schematic diagram after narrowing down the complain to a system, sub-system or component, look up the schematic diagram and electrical circuit of the components, confirm how it was designed to function and confirm the circuit integrity. Based on the symptoms and your understanding of its functional design, identify the possible cause.
3. Isolate the affected component, test there circuits and confirming functional parameters by design.
4. Fix the affected components applying manufactures repair pattern.
5. Ensure the affected components circuits works, by testing all the repaired components as specified by the manufacturer. If these steps are meticulously followed during diagnosis, your fix is sure.
IF IT IS NOT BROKEN... DO NOT FIX!!!
Emission basically means emitting substance. Reactions that take place during combustion and their resultant by products.
IDEAL: Combustion FUEL (hydrocarbons)+AIR (oxygen and nitrogen) CARBON DIOXIDE+water+unaffected nitrogen
REAL: Engine Combustion FUEL + AIR
UNBURNED HYDROCARBONS + NITROGEN OXIDES+CARBON MONOXIDE+CARBON DIOXIDE+water.
Exhaust gases
Hydrocarbon emissions(HC) result when fuel molecules in the engine do not burn or burn only partially. They react in the presence of nitrogen oxides and sunlight to form ground-level ozone, a major component of smog. Ozone irritates the eyes, damages the lungs, and aggravates respiratory problems. It is our most widespread and intractable urban air pollution problem. A number of exhaust hydrocarbons are also toxic, with the potential to cause cancer.
NITROGEN OXIDES (NOx) Under the high pressure and temperature conditions in an engine, nitrogen and oxygen atoms in the air react to form various nitrogen oxides, collectively known as NOx. Nitrogen oxides, like hydrocarbons, are precursors to the formation of ozone. They also contribute to the formation of acid rain.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a product of incomplete combustion and occurs when carbon in the fuel is partially oxidized rather than fully oxidized to carbon dioxide (CO). Carbon monoxide reduces the flow of oxygen in the bloodstream and is particularly dangerous to persons with heart disease.
Carbon dioxide does not directly impair human health, but it is a “greenhouse gas” that traps the earth’s heat and contributes to the potential for global warming. These are the reasons why they are termed as not being Environment friendly and needs to be controlled.
In automobiles because the substances emitted are not Environment friendly, systems are designed by the manufacturer to monitor and control them. This is made possible by the use of SENSORS and ACTUATORS. Since components in automobiles are designed to function with certain parameters and have thresholds which are environment friendly, it is very easy to monitor the functionality of these components via a reference table(ECP/PCM or Brain box as we call it locally). We will be looking at the components that make up the emission control system, there generic functional parameters, there principle of operations, there defects, how they affect the emission system and how the aid in controlling emission.
The Systems, Sub-systems and Components are: Catalyst, Oxygen sensors, Mass airflow meter sensor, Manifold absolute pressure sensor, Air intake temperature sensor, Idle air control valve, Positive crankcase ventilation, Throttle position sensor, Evap system, EGR system just to mentions few. Though we will discuss all and relate them.
KNOWLEDGE IS THE KEY TO EFFECTIVE CREATIVITY AND TRANSFORMATION.... Let's keep learning.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by kingphilip(m): 6:53am On Jun 03, 2016
Oga if I tell you say I understand anything here I de lie

Can you please break all those terms down to that of a layman??

Ordinary do you expect a social science and management science individual to understand all these terms?? Please help

I guess it's a nice piece though for it to get to the Frontpage without any comment

Thanks for the information for those it'll be useful for

Good morning Nigeria
Good morning Nigerians
Good morning Nairalanders
God bless us all

9 Likes

Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Alabitrends01: 6:56am On Jun 03, 2016
nice one oo
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Lordmykel(m): 6:57am On Jun 03, 2016
undecided what is this one talking about? I dont understand anything here... But i just have to comment grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by spartanobad(m): 6:57am On Jun 03, 2016
Am yet to undastand completely..
lemme read again

1 Like

Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by feldido(m): 6:59am On Jun 03, 2016
Cool... Automechanics, my best career ever.
I must own my Workshop.
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by kingphilip(m): 6:59am On Jun 03, 2016
Lordmykel:
undecided what is this one talking about? I dont understand anything here... But i just have to comment grin
I tell you

That big big terms is just too mighty for a layman in his field to understand

Unless he wanted to only help those who are in his field of specialization

2 Likes

Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by kingphilip(m): 7:00am On Jun 03, 2016
feldido:
Cool... Automechanics, my best carrier ever.
I must own my Workshop.
oga please do you mean career??
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by feldido(m): 7:01am On Jun 03, 2016
kingphilip:
oga please do you mean career??

YEAH, no mind me.
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Lordmykel(m): 7:02am On Jun 03, 2016
kingphilip:
I tell you

yes thats true and the Mod moved it to front page, when 97% of people on frontpage are laymen. It's just not helping
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by feldido(m): 7:03am On Jun 03, 2016
kingphilip:
I tell you

I understand everything perfectly, only automechanics will understand. wink
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Donclaracuzo: 7:07am On Jun 03, 2016
Pls, my car sucks hell of fuel and i have changed the air flow meter severally and mechanic cant find what could be the probs. he has serviced the nozzles and yet it emits black smoke. please, can u advice with I might possible check to sort out this probs. thank you.
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by donsteady(m): 7:12am On Jun 03, 2016
Op you
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by donsteady(m): 7:13am On Jun 03, 2016
Donclaracuzo:
Pls, my car sucks hell of fuel and i have changed the air flow meter severally and mechanic cant find what could be the probs. he has serviced the nozzles and yet it emits black smoke. please, can u advice with I might possible check to sort out this probs. thank you.
Change your oxygen sensor
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by kingphilip(m): 7:17am On Jun 03, 2016
feldido:

I understand everything perfectly, only automechanics will understand. wink
oya please a breakdown will be highly appreciated
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by naijacarlovers: 7:21am On Jun 03, 2016
kingphilip:

Ordinary do you expect a social science and management science individual to understand all these terms?? Please help

I guess it's a nice piece though for it to get to the Frontpage without any comment

Good morning Nigeria
Good morning Nigerians
God bless us all

Hi. What the man wrote is very key to having a trouble-free and factory spec usage of your car. For a very long time we here in Nigeria never realized that apart from regular servicing of cars (change oil and oil filter), it is also extremely important we also carry out Emission Servicing of our cars because the emission systems of any car has tremendous effects on how the car will perform.

But because most of our regular mechanics do not know one bit about this, they will keep going round and round in circles till they put your car into coma and then,.... Oga your engine don expire....

I tell your with utmost certainty, my Mazda CX7 that had some major 'skor-skor' was sorted out by an emission servicing.

Cheers.
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by IkpuMmadu: 7:27am On Jun 03, 2016
Where can I buy air flow Meyers for Nissan
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by buchilino(m): 7:37am On Jun 03, 2016
kingphilip:

Good morning Nigeria
Good morning Nigerians
God bless us all

LOL, I THOUGHT I WAS D ONLY PERSON DAT NOTICED IT
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Automaton09(m): 7:42am On Jun 03, 2016
Thanks for your comments, I never thought it would make front page so soon. Kindly bear with me for the so called big big technical words.
The article is knowledge based mainly for Autodaignosticians.
The article is basically talking about what your mechanic needs to do before attempting to loose any part from your vehicle, if the vehicle is year1996 and above. The era of loosening every part of the vehicle just to locate a fault is gone for good. All vehicles after 1996 comes with a communication path that makes it easy for technicians to communicate with the vehicle via the scanners. Please note that scanners don't fix Automobile problem, it only gives the technician a repair direction.
The second part of the article talks about the reaction that takes place in your engine while the vehicle moves. The by product from this reaction is the main reason why the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in California insisted on the introduction of a monitor system in the vehicle that monitors & controls this by products technically called Emissions or Exhaust gases. This gave birth to Automobile Diagnosis with the aid of scanners. Hope this is fair enough.
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by swagdopey: 7:43am On Jun 03, 2016
I don't understand a thing.
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Nobody: 7:43am On Jun 03, 2016
donsteady:

And this without running any OBD test?

Amazing.

1 Like

Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by InvertedHammer: 7:57am On Jun 03, 2016
Automaton09:
1. Verify the customer complain, simulate the scenarios that would cause the complain real time. Don't start by disassembling or testing until the fault have being narrowed down to systems, sub-systems or components.
2. Analyze the affected component schematic diagram after narrowing down the complain to a system, sub-system or component, look up the schematic diagram and electrical circuit of the components, confirm how it was designed to function and confirm the circuit integrity. Based on the symptoms and your understanding of its functional design, identify the possible cause.
3. Isolate the affected component, test there circuits and confirming functional parameters by design.
4. Fix the affected components applying manufactures repair pattern.
5. Ensure the affected components circuits works, by testing all the repaired components as specified by the manufacturer. If these steps are meticulously followed during diagnosis, your fix is sure.
IF IT IS NOT BROKEN... DO NOT FIX!!!
Emission basically means emitting substance. Reactions that take place during combustion and their resultant by products.
IDEAL: Combustion FUEL (hydrocarbons)+AIR (oxygen and nitrogen) CARBON DIOXIDE+water+unaffected nitrogen
REAL: Engine Combustion FUEL + AIR
UNBURNED HYDROCARBONS + NITROGEN OXIDES+CARBON MONOXIDE+CARBON DIOXIDE+water.
Exhaust gases
Hydrocarbon emissions(HC) result when fuel molecules in the engine do not burn or burn only partially. They react in the presence of nitrogen oxides and sunlight to form ground-level ozone, a major component of smog. Ozone irritates the eyes, damages the lungs, and aggravates respiratory problems. It is our most widespread and intractable urban air pollution problem. A number of exhaust hydrocarbons are also toxic, with the potential to cause cancer.
NITROGEN OXIDES (NOx) Under the high pressure and temperature conditions in an engine, nitrogen and oxygen atoms in the air react to form various nitrogen oxides, collectively known as NOx. Nitrogen oxides, like hydrocarbons, are precursors to the formation of ozone. They also contribute to the formation of acid rain.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a product of incomplete combustion and occurs when carbon in the fuel is partially oxidized rather than fully oxidized to carbon dioxide (CO). Carbon monoxide reduces the flow of oxygen in the bloodstream and is particularly dangerous to persons with heart disease.
Carbon dioxide does not directly impair human health, but it is a “greenhouse gas” that traps the earth’s heat and contributes to the potential for global warming. These are the reasons why they are termed as not being Environment friendly and needs to be controlled.
In automobiles because the substances emitted are not Environment friendly, systems are designed by the manufacturer to monitor and control them. This is made possible by the use of SENSORS and ACTUATORS. Since components in automobiles are designed to function with certain parameters and have thresholds which are environment friendly, it is very easy to monitor the functionality of these components via a reference table(ECP/PCM or Brain box as we call it locally). We will be looking at the components that make up the emission control system, there generic functional parameters, there principle of operations, there defects, how they affect the emission system and how the aid in controlling emission.
The Systems, Sub-systems and Components are: Catalyst, Oxygen sensors, Mass airflow meter sensor, Manifold absolute pressure sensor, Air intake temperature sensor, Idle air control valve, Positive crankcase ventilation, Throttle position sensor, Evap system, EGR system just to mentions few. Though we will discuss all and relate them.
KNOWLEDGE IS THE KEY TO EFFECTIVE CREATIVITY AND TRANSFORMATION.... Let's keep learning.
/

Wrong audience!!!
/
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Automaton09(m): 9:13am On Jun 03, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/

Wrong audience!!!
/

Thanks for your comment. The word LEARN implies that everybody would not be Knowledgeable in all aspects of life. If you don't understand, ask questions, besides the sub topic here is car talk. Thanks
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Donclaracuzo: 10:17am On Jun 03, 2016
donsteady:

Ok thanks! Does it have any other common name for mechanics to understand and where exactly is the position of the oxygen sensor. Thank you!
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Automaton09(m): 12:07pm On Jun 03, 2016
Donclaracuzo:

Ok thanks! Does it have any other common name for mechanics to understand and where exactly is the position of the oxygen sensor. Thank you!

Please look for a good technician around your location that understands the use of diagnostic tool before you replace any sensor. Alot of factors can cause high fuel consumption, so you need to be sure before you start spending money. Run a detailed diagnosis first.
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jun 03, 2016
I only understand the pictorial diagrams he posted after that long boring lecture. OP theres something called summary and bringing out valid points from a write up not just doing copy and paste and giving us here.
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Bsideboi(m): 12:30pm On Jun 03, 2016
Nice informative stuff u wrote...I really admire your wealth of knowledge in autodiagnostics.I'm a lover of cars and also interested in bn an autodiagnostician though a graduate of Industrl. Physics. I will be glad if u can recommend steps for me to follow like d kinf d of Courses and institution in Nigeria dat trains.
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Lawcurrent(m): 1:31pm On Jun 03, 2016
thanks for the information
Re: 5 Effective Auto Diagnostic Steps And Emission Control Systems by Automaton09(m): 5:44pm On Jun 03, 2016
Bsideboi:
Nice informative stuff u wrote...I really admire your wealth of knowledge in autodiagnostics.I'm a lover of cars and also interested in bn an autodiagnostician though a graduate of Industrl. Physics. I will be glad if u can recommend steps for me to follow like d kinf d of Courses and institution in Nigeria dat trains.
You can do us a mail. Automaton.onwheels09@gmail.com. Then we'll take it from there.

(1) (Reply)

Happy World Car Awards Takes Centre Stage This April / Airbag Light Has Refused To Go Off.. Pls Help!!! / Lexus ES350 Review Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.