Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,461 members, 7,819,681 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! (1172 Views)

Mysterious Lady (A Thrilling Story By Kimcutie) / My First Story(Life of an Orphan) / Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 03, 2016
Copyright © 2016
All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all materials on these pages are copyrighted by the author No part of these pages, either text or image may be used for any purpose other than personal use. Therefore, reproduction, modification, storage in a retrieval system or retransmission, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical or otherwise, for reasons other than personal use, is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.

2 Likes

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 03, 2016
Chapter One

"Roseline, bring the basket of mango, Mama yelled", calling in her loud pitched voice. Roseline pretended she hadn't heard anyone call her name. Just then, Nneoma interrupted, "I think I heard Mama just yelled your name", out there, she opined mildly not to anger her as they have had misunderstandings of sorts due to the same scenario but quick to settle.

Nneoma has been Roseline's childhood friend of the same age group and complexion - a glowing ebony colour, same gap dazzling white tooth and fairy same height that would make one mistook them as unidentical twin of the same parents with contrasting characters.

Roseline smirked , dragged her foot to Mama while carrying the basket of mango on her head.
Roseline a beautiful lady in her early twenties; but lazy as she is fed up with house chores but Mama seemed to be getting on her nerves - according to her - whenever she makes mention of her, not yet married 'ass' coupled with laziness that has become one of her watchword.

Nneoma her friend, who is opposite of her in term of characters, was expecting her traditional wedding ceremony which was due in a week. This development has made Roseline green with friendly envy but she still remain unabashed.
She still respects sister-friendly code as they fondly joke with..

The week came and passed, Nneoma suitor had done the traditional rites and she became a married woman fully according to tradition.
She also had to follow her husband to his house in a far away neighbouring village making her to loose daily intact relationship she has had all these years with Roseline.

*to be continued*

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 03, 2016
Your comments and critics are welcomed

I'll update later..
Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 03, 2016

Roseline with no friends to advise her wisely unlike Nneoma who had sheltered her all the whole while they have been together, so that she will not fall in the hands of not-welly behaved guys and ill-behaved urchins parading as normals; she became reckless..

Mama's advise yielded zilch fruit. According to her, she belongs to era of 'old schools' and doesn't understand "what's up" happening in our twenty first century world. Mama haven't gotten tired irrigating the unyielding stubborn fruit that came in human form. She felt it's her cross to carry, and decided to seek prayers on her behalf hoping for snippet of improvement.

Still living and treading recklessly, Roseline finally got pregnant for a well known carpenter in the village but due to the fact he didn't hail there, he made away at night with all his luggage's to a far away town after the news had circulated. He wasn't ready to become a father and feared to be mobbed since strangers who don't hail in the community are dealt with severely when they mess up compared to indigenous ones.

Roseline was heartbroken and cried all day when she learnt the news after she took her mummy to the Carpenter's house but Mama felt no remorse as she already envisioned where it will all lead and end.

She accepted her prodigal daughter with a good faith, at least, it will serve as deterrent and she will have befitting grandchild, who might be a life saver for her, she thought; Roseline being her only child and daughter..
Months passed and Roseline delivered a set of twin - a boy and girl whom Mama named Ebuka and Juliet, respectively.
The kids never ceased to grow in an amazing ways but that didn't deter Rose - as fondly called by Mama - from continuing with her recklessness, leaving chunk of the upkeeps of the children for Mama.
Mama did all with joyful heart with the heart they are her grand children.

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 04, 2016
Chapter Two

Knock!, Knock!!, Knock!!!, It's a knock on the door, Mama said..
"Go and open the door to fetch whoever is over there", she told one of the twin. They were barely eight years old.
"It's Aunty Roseline", Ebuka yelled - they had grown the habit of calling her 'aunty', since they are oblivious she was the one that gave birth to them and she has never cared to tell them or show some motherly affections.
In fact, according to what she had told Mama, she would get upset if they ever address her as Mummy, as it will drive away most of her potential clients which will dent her image.

Roseline enters with her boyfriend, heavily drunk, while panting excessively. She has always addressed him as her fiancé, whenever she introduces him to any of her family and friends, while Mama kept staring pitifully with remorseful look.
He held her all round and kept her on the sofa, and was about to make for the door, but Roseline requested John - as his name goes by - to stay over, for the night to take care of her. He didn't hesitate to grant her wish.
She could sense evasive resentments on Mama's face, which she abhors, but she, Mama, had always deal with it to make peace reign.
"An anomaly she has to watch everyday", she thought to herself.

The following day, after John had left, Mama summoned hope, called Roseline to give her motherly advice hoping she will turn a new leaf.
She is also needs to know what her steps in life is all about....

*to be continued*

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 06, 2016
"Roseline, my daughter", she said as she drew closer to her; this man had been your fiancé according to you for over a year, so when he is going to be performing traditional rites to finally make you his wife?, she cuts in.

Stood up, fuming like a raged dog, Roseline shouted "Mama, Marriage isn't my utmost priority in this life, as I have all to do, and going on for me than be expected to get married.

Mama who was expecting the hackneyed cliché reply, was ever ready with her counter, to ruin her self ego pegged at where it never deserved to be.
"So, what is your utmost life priority"? You are not gainfully employed, neither are you working yourself out to make ends meet--- but rather dependent on men to pay your bills; why not hook one down?, It's not a rocket science you ain't Margaret Thatcher of our time.....before Mama could finish, she received two resounding mouths watery slaps capable of resetting brains, that she couldn't think carefully "all right" for about few minutes.

Roseline felt no remorse for her action, as she kept screaming at her mother requesting, how she dared had the guts to insult her person to taint her image.
"What insolence", she walked away furiously.

Initially, Mama couldn't cry as she felt dumb, numb and hypnotized at a go, but had to, after she had gotten herself.
Tears were rolling down her cheeks as turbulent wave of river Niger - the calm slowness and warmness of it depicted Mama's cries.

She thought to herself, "haven't I trained this prodigal daughter of mine enough"? No Nneoma to tame the wild cat, as it seems she is the only one she listens to.
The society out there would probably castigate her, when she cries to them,---- for not disciplining her early enough.
She kept thinking, Roseline never had bad influences as a child, and Nneoma her childhood friend did a perfect job, She was that pious child and a daughter yearned by all parents.
Where have I gone wrong, she wept! She never envisaged cursing her since she had never believed it will cure an erring child, but make life more miserable and unbearable for her.
Albeit, she has been a devoted Christian mother, and if God can forgive countless of sins we commit, who is she not to do the same.

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 06, 2016
No comment yet but more views? cry

Pls, dear literature-landers, your constructive crictisms will go a long way to help me plus corrections.

Cc divepen1, Larrysun etc, & other seasoned writers here.

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 07, 2016
Cc Victoriousvic, Missmossy, Msnelly, Cetona, AmazingAngel, Amicable09, Skarlet, Whizqueen, Mynd44, Ishilove, Kitme, DahPrech, Greatbaba, Neyoor, UjSizzle, Caracta etc

Don't be annoyed if I don't mention you.
I'd have updated today but my battery is about to run down....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 08, 2016
Chapter 3

Mama became restless always, everyday, everytime.
She has never had time to take care of the twin as usual, since she is always drenched in the pool of thoughts, days, afternoons and nights.

Christmas approached but she didn't have the energy to take the twin outside their home to celebrate it, as usual which had become their seasonal routines. After bathing them, she took a chair and sat in front of the house thinking as she often does, while they, - twin -, both played with sands in their compound.

Then, a white car drove into their compound and it was Nneoma; she came to celebrate christmas holidays, with her kids, in her parents home for the first time since she got married.
Christmas serves as a day for commemoration of the birth of Christ, and merriment, to wine and dine, for the villagers.

According to her, she and her husband had relocated from the town, they lived, to Lagos metropolis, after six month of their marital bliss. She came with two of her children; a girl slightly older than the boy.
She saw kids playing outside, but didn't care to ask who owned them, as she never thought about that. Those neighbours offsprings, she thought!

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 08, 2016
Cc Larrydking, Nicolars, Rilwayne001, ibadanfinest, Labodinho, Naijaboiy, Vakinola1, Emekadeboy, Aysuccess99, Estharfabian, Fynestboi, Salc, Debbie, Kamsified etc.

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 08, 2016

She was about to ask the whereabout of her soul friend Roseline, then one of the twin yelled, "Mama, Ebube beat me", Ebube happened to be one of their neighbours son that comes to play with them everyday. He joined them when he was in his house and saw they were playing outside.

Mama retorted that Juliet, whom Ebube beat, should come and sit close to her, so that she will continue playing to avoid another rift. She heeded to Mama and came over.

Nneoma could halfly deduce that the kid might belong to Roseline, though they had been conversing on phone but she never cared to inform her about it. She asked Mama about the ownership of the child, sitting close to her, while mama did some explaining. She was marveled, sighed, and never knew Roseline can't make a right decision as an adult. Not informing her is also what angered her, with a wry smile on her face she told Mama it would be okay.
Nneoma and Roseline were born the same month but Nneoma was older with two weeks.

As Mama was about to narrate the brutal experiences she has had with her daughter. Roseline dashed in and screamed in a jubilating and surprising voice, as she saw Nneoma while they hugged tightly and exchanged pleasantries.

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 08, 2016
ATMC, Anonimus, dagr8, Cococandy, sambarry etc
Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by amicable09(f): 12:03pm On Jun 08, 2016
You got my attention Tony cheesy
I'll make sure I religiously follow your story (thriller) to the end!

It's a promise.
Let the reading begin!

I'll drop comments as well after reading grin, this isn't a diary, no constraints and restraints here wink
Thanks for the mention.
Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by amicable09(f): 2:27pm On Jun 08, 2016
FrancisTony:
No comment yet but more views? cry

Pls, dear literature-landers, your constructive crictisms will go a long way to help me plus corrections.

Nice job so far. I love that the posts are short and easy to read. It does make for quick reading devoid of the boredom that comes with very long posts.

That being said, I noticed your tenses kept changing. There's no uniformity, one time you are using past tense and another time you are in the present tense. You need to be consistent. And then I understand how difficult it can be for writers editing their own works, it is very difficult! You may want to just go over the posts again slowly and make some corrections in places were you typed some words twice and all those little errors.

Your setting betrays your language (the use of big big grammar by old mama in the village undecided). Mama's spoken English is far better than mine cheesy. Please give mama simple words and mix it local dialect where possible.

You are doing a great job at story telling. May your source of inspiration not shut down.
I expect to see more chapters. Kudos!

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by karleone(m): 3:58pm On Jun 08, 2016
amicable09:

Nice job so far. I love that the posts are short and easy to read. It does make for quick reading devoid of the boredom that comes with very long posts.

Amicable, do you experience such? Thought I was the only one.
Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by amicable09(f): 4:16pm On Jun 08, 2016
karleone:

Amicable, do you experience such? Thought I was the only one.
Lol.
You are not alone Karl, at a point I started forcing myself to read posts that were long to the end because I feared I may be suffering from fatigue or something. It only got worse. Long posts, except in cases were the story is intriguing and there is suspense involved, bore me.

I prefer the short paragraphs and enough spacing style of typing so I can follow through to the end.

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 08, 2016
Thanks, Amicable09! smiley

@Local dialect, only if I could... cry
Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 09, 2016

Nneoma had told her she was coming today. She dragged Nneoma to her room and they started chit-chatting. Nneoma vowed not to disclose what Mama told her awaiting her to do justice with much anticipation.
Well, Nneoma had forgotten she had an unfinished talk with Mama and continued staring gleefully at Rose until she finally let the cat out of the bag.
Nneoma didn't over react, she had left her kids to play with Mama. It was late already, as she came for her children while she dropped some money and gifts with her, faded goodbye and left with her children. She needed to get to her husband town early enough, while she returned to the city the next day.

As Mama was about to enter her room, Roseline requested for her own share of money, but Mama gruntly refused.
"The flies that refuses to hear word will follow corpse to the grave", she subtly chipped in.
But Roseline who was so adamant, and about to force the money out of Mama's hand got resounding slaps to calm her down.
Roseline angrily held Mama on her neck, struck her head on the wall and pushed her away from the pavement, supporting her, that she was standing on, with a huge kick on her stomach, while she fell on the floor hapless.

She saw that her mother was dead, became tensed and scared while she made for the room, packed her loads, leaving the twin all alone as they were sleeping, and ran away but on her way to fiancé place, badluck befell her that the motorcycle she boarded collided with a truck moving towards opposite direction. She and the rider was grinded into pieces and they both died..

Ebuka and Juliet became homeless orphans. What a world!, villagers who couldn't deduce and fathom the logic behind these deaths thought.

1 Like

Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 09, 2016
Sleekyshuga, Taylor184, pr0ton, Kumpharm, herald9, freecocoa, treasurgr8, Fembleez1, Fembleez.. etc smiley
Re: A Thrilling Story: Life Saver! by Fembleez1(m): 5:46pm On Jun 09, 2016
Present Sire! Will read it soon. smiley

(1) (Reply)

A Night To Remember. / Architectural Designs And Building Construction / How To Develop Outstanding Research Topics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.