Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,951 members, 7,814,226 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

If A Plane Crash Is Certain, Should Pilots Tell The Passengers? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / If A Plane Crash Is Certain, Should Pilots Tell The Passengers? (836 Views)

Air Peace Women Pilots Lead All Female Crew On Flights To Abuja, Owerri. Photos / Two Female Pilots All Smiles After Flying Passengers From Abuja To Lagos. Photos / How Safe Are The Passengers? (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If A Plane Crash Is Certain, Should Pilots Tell The Passengers? by ItuExchange(m): 9:46pm On Jun 03, 2016
If a plane crash is certain, are the passengers informed?

Back in 1989, Varig Flight 254 (Boeing 737–200) ended up with no fuel above the Amazon Forest due to a series of piloting errors.

In the final moments before landing in the jungle, the pilot said:

"Ladies and gentleman, this is the captain speaking. We had a disorientation failure in our compass systems. We are about to run out of fuel, having 15 minutes remaining. We ask you all to remain calm, because a situation like this is very unlikely to happen. We let you all have the hope that this doesn't become anything more than a scare for us all. For your attention, thank you very much, and let us all have a good ending."

It wasn't very helpful in my opinion.

12 people died, 42 survived.

Source: https://www.quora.com/If-a-plane-crash-is-certain-are-the-passengers-informed

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: If A Plane Crash Is Certain, Should Pilots Tell The Passengers? by youngaz(m): 10:01pm On Jun 03, 2016
Wow wow wow.......*sighs* dnt even no wat to say cuz if u tell dem itz pandemonium if u dnt and u survive,u will neva forgive urself for not telling dem so i dnt no wat d pilot shuld do oooo
Re: If A Plane Crash Is Certain, Should Pilots Tell The Passengers? by Florblu(f): 10:23pm On Jun 03, 2016
Telling the passenger may cause more harm cos of the pandemonium that will arise from the people. Even if the pilot wanna salvage the situation the shouts nd numerous advice of people on board won't help the pilot
Re: If A Plane Crash Is Certain, Should Pilots Tell The Passengers? by Originalsly: 12:06am On Jun 04, 2016
I guess it helped because 42 people survived. If he didn't announce more would've died. Most likely they prepared for the crash....I would.... go grab a few bags to cushion the impact...and if possible grab a seat between two fat people... better if another has the seat in front....wrap my head like hijab with a few blankets and tuck in myself like a little ball. If the pilot doesn't announce...I'll just be in the seat sipping ehmmm...whatever...totally unprepared....when the dust is clear...I'll either be badly wounded or dead.

1 Like

Re: If A Plane Crash Is Certain, Should Pilots Tell The Passengers? by ugsams(m): 12:32pm On Jun 04, 2016
In my opinion I think it will be wise to notify them that things might go wrong and that it's better everyone prepare for the impact just in case there is a crash if they are not able to control the situation. However, If they should go in this direction, then IATA has to establish some short plane crash survival and safety courses for frequent fliers which should be taken care of by the airlines. This might be modelled to look similar to the BOSIET courses for oilfield workers.

They can also arrange the flights in a way that aged, unhealthy, first time travellers or underaged passengers travelling alone will be placed in a separate area of the plane for easy identification and assistance during emergencies.

(1) (Reply)

Darkness Passengers Boarding Flights With Lanterns And Nokia Touch Light Lagos / Cheap Flight Ticket Nigeria To Bahamas Needed / UK Spouse Dependent Tier 4 Visa Application Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.