Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,137 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) (4497 Views)

Angry Nigerian Lashes Daddyfreeze Says He Lacks Knowledge(read) / LASG CCTV Van Stuck On Electricity Cables At Abule Egba (photos) / Features NL Lacks,add Yours.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) by Limerick: 6:08pm On Jun 04, 2016
This nepa official just gave me a brief lecture on how electricity in Nigeria works, why nepa has to take light constantly
He says first and foremost, we just started generating and extra 6000Mega watts coupled with the 4000 mega watts we used to generate
With 10,000 mega watts, we should have an average of 10hrs light per day. If gas pipelines aren't constantly blown up by the naija delta (they render the 6000 megawatts useless, so we back to square one 4000)
But let's say the pipelines aren't constantly blown up, we'd need to put extra transformers in each of the zones, because the amount of transformers we currently have can't handle that the load, and according to them a 15kva tranformer costs about 3-4billion naira to purchase (someone just pointed out that it's a fictitious number, says its 3-4 million)
With all this said we basically have to pray naija delta stop blowing stuff up and the 2016 budget for electricity is used judiciously
Okay, let's revert to why they have to constantly take light
1. The amount of megawatts given to each zone/local government isn't sufficient to give constant light. So it has to be rationed so as to last the given period
2. Even when we have enough megawatts the transformers can't handle every feeder in the zone having light at the same time, it'd eventually blow up, so it has to be rationed properly
Hope this is as enlightening to you as it was to me

1 Like

Re: Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) by pendusky(m): 6:38pm On Jun 04, 2016
Limerick:
This nepa official just gave me a brief lecture on how electricity in Nigeria works, why nepa has to take light constantly
He says first and foremost, we just started generating and extra 6000Mega watts coupled with the 4000 mega watts we used to generate
With 10,000 mega watts, we should have an average of 10hrs light per day. If gas pipelines aren't constantly blown up by the naija delta (they render the 6000 megawatts useless, so we back to square one 4000)
But let's say the pipelines aren't constantly blown up, we'd need to put extra transformers in each of the zones, because the amount of transformers we currently have can't handle that the load, and according to them a 15kva tranformer costs about 3-4billion naira to purchase (someone just pointed out that it's a fictitious number, says its 3-4 million)
With all this said we basically have to pray naija delta stop blowing stuff up and the 2016 budget for electricity is used judiciously
Okay, let's revert to why they have to constantly take light
1. The amount of megawatts given to each zone/local government isn't sufficient to give constant light. So it has to be rationed so as to last the given period
2. Even when we have enough megawatts the transformers can't handle every feeder in the zone having light at the same time, it'd eventually blow up, so it has to be rationed properly
Hope this is as enlightening to you as it was to me

What are you saying

Mr Fashola said in 2012 that a reasonable govt can make Light constant in 6months, Thank God he was given that position... so why we don't have light is non of Nigerians Biz to know, its 9month since Mr Fashola took over. We need constant light

1 Like

Re: Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) by DUNKA(m): 6:38pm On Jun 04, 2016
Seems the only option is for all of us to embrace nature free gift i.e the Sun.

Solar is the only way to go

1 Like

Re: Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) by Limerick: 6:55pm On Jun 04, 2016
pendusky:

What are you saying

Mr Fashola said in 2012 that a reasonable govt can make Light constant in 6months, Thank God he was given that position... so why we don't have light is non of Nigerians Biz to know, its 9month since Mr Fashola took over. We need constant light
Its Nigerans biz bro! Its something that concerns us. Something we complain alot about. But as I got a little enlightened, I felt the need for yall to get enlightened as well

1 Like

Re: Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) by Limerick: 6:58pm On Jun 04, 2016
The guy just added that lagos state generates its own power, available to the real rich people and those who know.
Re: Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) by pendusky(m): 7:04pm On Jun 04, 2016
Limerick:

Its Nigerans biz bro! Its something that concerns us. Something we complain alot about. But as I got a little enlightened, I felt the need for yall to get enlightened as well

I personally don't need that, Its 9months already! Nigerians need constant Light
Re: Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) by Limerick: 7:19pm On Jun 04, 2016
pendusky:

I personally don't need that, Its 9months already! Nigerians need constant Light
Yea we do, but things are also supposed to be gone about the right way.

1 Like

Re: Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) by ope0409: 9:06pm On Jun 04, 2016
Don't let us be deceived, we are not getting it right..far from being right. As at today(03/06/2016), the total energy generated from the grid is about 4760MW, far below the OP's acclaimed 10,000MW generated. (I wonder where the 10,000MW came from anyways)..

We have five (5) active power generating stations in Nigeria, namely: AFAM(1962), SHORORO(1990), UGEHI(1996), KAINJI/JEBBA(1968&1985), SAPELE(1978). Well, tell me how power supply can be steady in Nigeria when the last power generating station built was in 1996(UGEHI-STATION). Kindly ignore those new generating plants our leaders claimed they built. They are only blowing false news. Take for example, the Olorunsogo generating station, till now, the station has no PRMS. Can such plant add anything to the GRID? You cannot improve a system without adding more to the available system..

I agreed that the shortage of power supply could be linked with the Niger-Delta Avengers, since most of our generating stations run on Gas. I will not subscribe to the saying that the shortage could be linked to the lack of transformers. Transformers are devices mearnt to step down voltages,(in the case of distribution) tell me, what are you stepping down when the available voltages are not even there.

All the generating stations we have are all connected to the GRID. It is step up to 330KV from the grid, before it is transmitted to different injection substations. The solutions to our insufficient power supply is in the hands of our leaders.

1. Most of our transmission lines(330KV) are bad, sagging and wore out,. Vegetations(tress, forest) have over-powered our tnx lines. There should be routine maintenance on all the 330KV TNX Lines, clearing of vegetations regularly.

2. Nigeria run a Radial transmission network, the implication of this is that, once a Line is out, the total area serving under that line is gone. Let take for example, if there is a phase fault on the 132KV line linking Lagos to Ogun, the whole of Ogun State will not have power supply. The Radial system is old, advance countries are now into Mesh system. Even if we cannot subscribe to the Mesh system like USA, we can stick to Ring network like SA.

3. Let each state have her own generating Station, and let them contribute some MW to the grid, this will be for the less privilege state ( state that cannot afford to build a station).

4. See, let the government change all the distribution network in the country, we need to re-string a well planned 415 lines.

5. New generating station should be build, we shouldn't rely much on gas. We can build hydro, thermal, waste, solar or even invest on nuclear reactor, the newly built stations will compliment the existing ones.

6. We can also help the government, let every house pay for the KWH used. Pay your electricity bill

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Why NIGERIA Lacks Constant Electricity (GET ENLIGHTENED) by Nobody: 10:40am On Jun 05, 2016
ope0409:
Don't let us be deceived, we are not getting it right..far from being right. As at today(03/06/2016), the total energy generated from the grid is about 4760MW, far below the OP's acclaimed 10,000MW generated. (I wonder where the 10,000MW came from anyways)..

We have five (5) active power generating stations in Nigeria, namely: AFAM(1962), SHORORO(1990), UGEHI(1996), KAINJI/JEBBA(1968&1985), SAPELE(1978). Well, tell me how power supply can be steady in Nigeria when the last power generating station built was in 1996(UGEHI-STATION). Kindly ignore those new generating plants our leaders claimed they built. They are only blowing false news. Take for example, the Olorunsogo generating station, till now, the station has no PRMS. Can such plant add anything to the GRID? You cannot improve a system without adding more to the available system..

I agreed that the shortage of power supply could be linked with the Niger-Delta Avengers, since most of our generating stations run on Gas. I will not subscribe to the saying that the shortage could be linked to the lack of transformers. Transformers are devices mearnt to step down voltages,(in the case of distribution) tell me, what are you stepping down when the available voltages are not even there.

All the generating stations we have are all connected to the GRID. It is step up to 330KV from the grid, before it is transmitted to different injection substations. The solutions to our insufficient power supply is in the hands of our leaders.

1. Most of our transmission lines(330KV) are bad, sagging and wore out,. Vegetations(tress, forest) have over-powered our tnx lines. There should be routine maintenance on all the 330KV TNX Lines, clearing of vegetations regularly.

2. Nigeria run a Radial transmission network, the implication of this is that, once a Line is out, the total area serving under that line is gone. Let take for example, if there is a phase fault on the 132KV line linking Lagos to Ogun, the whole of Ogun State will not have power supply. The Radial system is old, advance countries are now into Mesh system. Even if we cannot subscribe to the Mesh system like USA, we can stick to Ring network like SA.

3. Let each state have her own generating Station, and let them contribute some MW to the grid, this will be for the less privilege state ( state that cannot afford to build a station).

4. See, let the government change all the distribution network in the country, we need to re-string a well planned 415 lines.

5. New generating station should be build, we shouldn't rely much on gas. We can build hydro, thermal, waste, solar or even invest on nuclear reactor, the newly built stations will compliment the existing ones.

6. We can also help the government, let every house pay for the KWH used. Pay your electricity bill

Thank you.

Well said! You nailed the point... you can't be doing things the same way and expect different result.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photo - Woman Delivers A Creature With Goat-like Legs And No Neck / If You Become Someone In Life, Who Would You First Thank For It? / 2fine4u: Holla At Shishi Biggs!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.