Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? (14543 Views)

Shiites Give A Drawing Of Jesus To Christians In Bauchi To Promote Peace / What Happens To Christians Who Stray? - Paul Ellis / Are You Ready? A Short Message To Christians By Lyoncrescent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by SamJed(m): 2:01pm On Jun 05, 2016
Why say xtians instead of Christian Why say Xmas instead of Christmas Why substitute Christ for x knowing fully well that X signifies bad Even if it is long to type, why use 'x' of all letters Would 'C' not have been better Personally, I try as much as possible to type it in full because Christ shouldn't be replaced with 'X'...

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by SUPERPACK: 3:11pm On Jun 05, 2016
SamJed:
Why say xtians instead of Christian Why say Xmas instead of Christmas Why substitute Christ for x knowing fully well that X signifies bad Even if it is long to type, why use 'x' of all letters Would 'C' not have been better Personally, I try as much as possible to type it in full because Christ shouldn't be replaced with 'X'...

lalasticlala seun mynd44
It turns out, “Xmas” is not a non-religious version of “Christmas”. The “X” is actually indicating the Greek letter “Chi”, which is short for the Greek , meaning “Christ”. So “Xmas” and “Christmas” are equivalent in every way except their lettering.
In fact, although writing guides such as those issued by the New York Times; the BBC; The Christian Writer’s Manual of Style; and Oxford Press discourage the use of Xmas in formal writing, at one time, it was a very popular practice, particularly with religious scribes, who are thought to have started the whole “Xmas” thing in the first place. Indeed, the practice of using the symbol “X” in place of Christ’s name has been going on amongst religious scholars for at least 1000 years.
Eventually, this shorthand trick spread to non-religious writings where nearly everywhere “Christ” appeared in a word, the Greek Chi would replace that part of the word. For example, in the 17th and 18th centuries, there are numerous non-religious documents containing instances of “Xine”, which was a common spelling for someone whose name was Christine.

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 5:41pm On Jun 05, 2016
Thats BLASPHEMY if you ask me. And we ought to behead whoever says that angry cool sad

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 05, 2016
if u ask me na who i go ask
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by McBrooklyn(m): 5:41pm On Jun 05, 2016
The last time I checked letter X is an alphabet word and also the 24th letter of the English Alphabet! And I wonder if OP has ever heard of "Abbreviation"?? angry

4 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Funbii(m): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2016
because we are too lazy to type it full undecided
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by okpooo: 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2016
it shouldn't be used....becos x cannot be used for Christ and it is Christian not Xtian

3 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Bisjosh(f): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2016
So because of "X" now, u can't sleep? undecided

Nigerians really take things that are insignificant in high esteem.

So using X, does it reduce who Christ is?

14 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by lollmaolol(m): 5:43pm On Jun 05, 2016
Leave this to the linguistic students and research team.

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by neocortex: 5:43pm On Jun 05, 2016
@SamJed
Does english language belongs to christianity ?

How does the way people choose to express your themselves affects you ?

I would have taken you serious if you explain how to write "christian" in greek or
aramaic.

3 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
Op why do yu use 9ja instead of Nigeria gringrin

6 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
o

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by DirtyGold: 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2016
That's the thing with man's creation, there's bound to be innovations.

What's tha business?
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Adeoba10(m): 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2016
... Bcus Jesus was crucified of d "X"
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Peacetemi: 5:47pm On Jun 05, 2016
I dunno. Does it change anything?? Being called a xtian doesnt make you less of a christian, does it??

2 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by TDonald: 5:47pm On Jun 05, 2016
SUPERPACK:
It turns out, “Xmas” is not a non-religious version of “Christmas”. The “X” is actually indicating the Greek letter “Chi”, which is short for the Greek , meaning “Christ”. So “Xmas” and “Christmas” are equivalent in every way except their lettering.
In fact, although writing guides such as those issued by the New York Times; the BBC; The Christian Writer’s Manual of Style; and Oxford Press discourage the use of Xmas in formal writing, at one time, it was a very popular practice, particularly with religious scribes, who are thought to have started the whole “Xmas” thing in the first place. Indeed, the practice of using the symbol “X” in place of Christ’s name has been going on amongst religious scholars for at least 1000 years.
Eventually, this shorthand trick spread to non-religious writings where nearly everywhere “Christ” appeared in a word, the Greek Chi would replace that part of the word. For example, in the 17th and 18th centuries, there are numerous non-religious documents containing instances of “Xine”, which was a common spelling for someone whose name was Christine.

Summary please

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by cold(m): 5:47pm On Jun 05, 2016
Hmm..i guess because god is xenogenous, xenomorphic and xanthoriatic
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Daraph(m): 5:48pm On Jun 05, 2016
Whatever... My own is just that admission is sure for me this year. Federal University of Technology,Akure I'm coming

15 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by 9jatatafo(m): 5:48pm On Jun 05, 2016
OP mind you X is doesn't mean bad. In Mathematics it represent the unknown value that will be known later after solving an equation. In relationship X is not bad. And for Christians to use X to represent Christ is well defined thing. Just try to understand the concept. Very important

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by SILVA112(m): 5:49pm On Jun 05, 2016
ajuju

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Daraph(m): 5:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
TDonald:

Summary please

He said; "X" means Christ in Greek and writing it as Xmas is formal
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by dd12345: 5:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
The world hate christ and everything that christ stand for...that is why they try to erase anything associated with christ.

3 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by bamite(m): 5:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
Wait
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by DLondonboiy: 5:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
nna nawa o

of the problems facing this country, we should be bothered by X?

nna eh!

5 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by June24th: 5:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
SamJed:

[size=15pt]Good this made front page..
Another thing I hate is someone abbreviating In Jesus' Name with Ijn..
Make we try change and write in full please
[/size]

8 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Segadem(m): 5:51pm On Jun 05, 2016
I remember school days,when we write xx x as characteristics

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by emperorchedda(m): 5:51pm On Jun 05, 2016
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by wunmi590(m): 5:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
Because we are used to X and Y in mathematics grin

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Rossburg(m): 5:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
It's just your own perception about the whole thing. cuz in as much as I know, it has nothing to do with being a true Christian or not.

And what if you claiming Mr Righteous keep writing it in full and at the same time committing other sin nkor?

Haven't you read the Bible to where it says "thou shall not judge? "

E be like say you just dey giv your life to Christ grin
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Cherishing(f): 5:53pm On Jun 05, 2016
Why bringing Christmas topic now when we Stil have a lot of interesting,bizarred,confusing,shocking,heartbreaking topics to ponder upon

OP and Modestus must be on something

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Humans Are Making The World A Sick Place, Yet We Blame God / Da Vinci Code: A Lesson To Muslims / I Need Deliverance From Powers From Fathers' House- Help Me Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.