Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model (38509 Views)

University Of Abuja Lecturer Burst Into Tears After Analyzing This (Photos) / University Of Abuja Girls Struggling To Get Water Due To NASU Strike (see Photos / Eviddy, Tallest Student In The University Of Abuja (Evidence Ebuka) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by safarigirl(f): 11:26am On Jun 07, 2016
Following the recent scrapping of Post-UTME exas by the Federal Government, a lot of people have been asking how schools will screen students without the Post-UME exams, the purpose of this thread is to explain how that is done in University of Abuja which hasn't had a Post-UME exam in 3 years.

The first thing we need to realize is that an Exam is different from a Screening. In University Of Abuja, there are no forms, just a screening exercise. What does this involve?

Students who applied for the school in JAMB and have met requirements (minimum of 180 in JAMB and a Credit in Maths and English including subjects relevant to your course choice) will come for the screening with their credentials. At the screening, they present their results and answer a couple of questions (orally) based on your applied course (usually basic knowledge questions) after which they await the result of this exam.

This usually means getting admission from JAMB directly (first list)...and then 2 subsequent lists from the school.

Now, here's the catch. Getting the admission doesn't mean you're home free. Thousands are usually given this admission into 100 level, but they don't get an Admission letter from the school in their 100 level, because a second screening happens in 200 level.

If a student is unable to finish 100 level with a CGPA of 2.5 (3.5 in Medicine), he or she will be screened out of the school. Only those who achieve this mark remain in 200 level and are subsequently given the school's Admission letter.

Before the collection of this letter, it's safe to assume that you're not fully a University student until the end of this period of probation.

This screening usually leaves the school with at least half of the initially admitted students which is the needed population.

So, that's the University of Abuja model....I don't know how effective it will be in other schools

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by saintkeppy(m): 11:46am On Jun 07, 2016
safarigirl:
Following the recent scrapping of Post-UTME exas by the Federal Government, a lot of people have been asking how schools will screen students without the Post-UME exams, the purpose of this thread is to explain how that is done in University of Abuja which hasn't had a Post-UME exam in 3 years.

The first thing we need to realize is that an Exam is different from a Screening. In University Of Abuja, there are no forms, just a screening exercise. What does this involve?

Students who applied for the school in JAMB and have met requirements (minimum of 180 in JAMB and a Credit in Maths and English including subjects relevant to your course choice) will come for the screening with their credentials. At the screening, they present their results and answer a couple of questions (orally) based on your applied course (usually basic knowledge questions) after which they await the result of this exam.

This usually means getting admission from JAMB directly (first list)...and then 2 subsequent lists from the school.

Now, here's the catch. Getting the admission doesn't mean you're home free. Thousands are usually given this admission into 100 level, but they don't get an Admission letter from the school in their 100 level, because a second screening happens in 200 level.

If a student is unable to finish 100 level with a CGPA of 2.5 (3.5 in Medicine), he or she will be screened out of the school. Only those who achieve this mark remain in 200 level and are subsequently given the school's Admission letter.

Before the collection of this letter, it's safe to assume that you're not fully a University student until the end of this period of probation.

This screening usually leaves the school with at least half of the initially admitted students which is the needed population.

So, that's the University of Abuja model....I don't know how effective it will be in other schools
. This screening is survival of the fittest. Imagine the hurdles u need to cross finally to get admission letter. Meaning u have have to spend atleast 2yrs to know ur fate. Its not easy at all.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by rheether(f): 12:12pm On Jun 07, 2016
This method should be adapted by all schools.

2 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by missuniverse(f): 12:25pm On Jun 07, 2016
This approach should be adopted by UNIPORT,a school with large population and limited classrooms

admitting more than they can accommodate

12 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by otokx(m): 1:15pm On Jun 07, 2016
missuniverse:
This approach should be adopted by UNIPORT,a school with large population and limited classrooms

That is no model, we shall come up with a superior approach hopefully. School Admission letter does not count, what counts is JAMB Admission letter especially with regards to NYSC.

5 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by safarigirl(f): 2:15pm On Jun 07, 2016
otokx:

That is no model, we shall come up with a superior approach hopefully. School Admission letter does not count, what counts is JAMB Admission letter especially with regards to NYSC.
lol....you can't use a JAMB admission letter to go for NYSC without completing your degree.

If you don't have a school admission letter, you're not a recognized student of the institution. So dear, that school Admission letter is just as important if not more important than JAMB admission letter.

12 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by kaboninc(m): 3:25pm On Jun 07, 2016
safarigirl:
lol....you can't use a JAMB admission letter to go for NYSC without completing your degree.

If you don't have a school admission letter, you're not a recognized student of the institution. So dear, that school Admission letter is just as important if not more important than JAMB admission letter.

I thought JAMB gives admission....
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by kaboninc(m): 3:31pm On Jun 07, 2016
safarigirl:

Well this could be one model.

For mine (University of Nigeria), although there are various ways a university trims its entry student population. We did write PUTME during our time and upon successful examination, we were offered a place. That offering was subsequently consolidated with JAMB.

Thereafter, in our 2nd year in school, we were given our Admission Letters from JAMB officially confirming our admission.

1 Like

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by safarigirl(f): 4:19pm On Jun 07, 2016
kaboninc:

I thought JAMB gives admission....
JAMB notifies you of admission status after you've met school requirements. Only first list students got admission letter from JAMB immediately. Others await school list.
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by FuckTheM0ds(m): 4:57pm On Jun 07, 2016
safarigirl:

So, that's the University of Abuja model....I don't know how effective it will be in other school
The University of Abacha, Gwagwalada also known as the glorified secondary school

3 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by rheether(f): 5:12pm On Jun 07, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
The University of Abacha, Gwagwalada also known as the glorified secondary school

You are a disgrace to your age.

12 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by safarigirl(f): 5:21pm On Jun 07, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
every University in Nigeria is a glorified secondary school, don't think whatever mushroom institution you attended is any better.

The topic here is the model, which I find very effective, whatever your feelings are concerning the school is your personal problem and shouldn't be applied here. There is something to be learnt from the smallest things

13 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by FuckTheM0ds(m): 5:39pm On Jun 07, 2016
rheether:

You are a disgrace to your age.
compare and contrast your comment with that of safarigirl's.
Its very obvious and conscupious that she is learned and well behave while your case is pathetic and miserable.
Old lazy woman berra go get a life.
And please never you reply me or quote me back or else i call lightning to strike ya lazy illiterate ass.
Scoundrel.
#nitwit#
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by kaboninc(m): 6:02pm On Jun 07, 2016
safarigirl:
every University in Nigeria is a glorified secondary school, don't think whatever mushroom institution you attended is any better.

The topic here is the model, which I find very effective, whatever your feelings are concerning the school is your personal problem and shouldn't be applied here. There is something to be learnt from the smallest things

Loool

Not all

1 Like

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by safarigirl(f): 6:05pm On Jun 07, 2016
kaboninc:

Loool

Not all
Any University outside the top 1000 in the world is a glorified secondary school. Most Nigerians are just in denial, it's okay to be in denial smiley

7 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by rheether(f): 6:16pm On Jun 07, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
compare and contrast your comment with that of safarigirl's.
Its very obvious and conscupious that she is learned and well behave while your case is pathetic and miserable.
Old lazy woman berra go get a life.
And please never you reply me or quote me back or else i call lightning to strike ya lazy illiterate ass.
Scoundrel.
#nitwit#

At 32 you have nothing to show for it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by Alezy(m): 6:18pm On Jun 07, 2016
kaboninc:

Loool
Not all
u see my msg at all?
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by Mekurexx: 6:21pm On Jun 07, 2016
This nonsense school. It was my first choice back then but when I logged on to the school website I realized it hadnt been updated since 2004

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by Thomsyne(m): 6:22pm On Jun 07, 2016
Well, I agree with this method... But then, how many questions and for how many students is this method gonn be applied for... Especially in schools like OAU, UI and co that usually have lots of applicants. Anyways, see

Quick Formula for passing University Exams

Also see: Tips For Securing Admission into Higher Institution In Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by Hawlahscho(m): 6:22pm On Jun 07, 2016
This is AWESOME!
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by greatness22(m): 6:22pm On Jun 07, 2016
rheether:

Lol, u don finish d guy grin
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by ireneony(f): 6:23pm On Jun 07, 2016
missuniverse:

this will call for more corrupt practice in institutions.
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by OHIsIManuEL(m): 6:24pm On Jun 07, 2016
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by weblord1900: 6:24pm On Jun 07, 2016
which Hotel
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by tattedMONK(m): 6:25pm On Jun 07, 2016
lalasticlala seun and all dis mods e don do una oh, ah ah! since i open dis account na so so ban ban. ehn! what i do? e zi bcus my hinglis not good? hen.

it is do oh, it is do.... if u is ban me again then.......

2 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by Howmon: 6:25pm On Jun 07, 2016
This model is flawed, you withhold admission letter illegally after jamb must have issued it, allow the student pay tuition for 2 semesters, then if he/she has a CGPA of 2.4 you expel him/her, the school should just wait to hear from my lawyer. #Nonsense

13 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by WELOADEDceo: 6:27pm On Jun 07, 2016
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by whiz10(m): 6:28pm On Jun 07, 2016
rheether:

Jesus Christ...! isn't that too mean...lmao
are yhu related to Mohammad Ali? 'cos that was a classic K.O grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jun 07, 2016
Why now, gosh!. My bele dey turn me o!. Wait a minute I'm a Doctor, I'm not on strike. Eh eeh!

1 Like

Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by thereturnoflucy(m): 6:30pm On Jun 07, 2016
Here is a must read post for all. If you want to be great,successful and legendary you have to surround yourself with positive people. Here is a short list of 8 people you should surround yourself with.

Click below to read

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2016/06/8-types-of-people-you-should-surround.html

Enjoy, learn and share
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 07, 2016
they don spoil business for sum school
Re: POST-UTME Screening Exercise: The University Of Abuja Model by adedayourt(m): 6:31pm On Jun 07, 2016
saintkeppy:
. This screening is survival of the fittest. Imagine the hurdles u need to cross finally to get admission letter. Meaning u have have to spend atleast 2yrs to know ur fate. Its not easy at all.

i think its effective enough, dis ll kip the studnts on der toes right from d strt. . . .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

59,000 To Retake Examination: JAMB / How To Apply For Transcript In University Of Lagos / How Thousands Of Teen Students In U.K. Celebrated Their A-level Results(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.