Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Colonization And Epidemics In Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Colonization And Epidemics In Africa (1235 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Colonization (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Colonization And Epidemics In Africa by redsun(m): 6:54pm On Aug 26, 2009
Was there any kind of oral or recorded history of mass epedemic in pre-colonial Africa?

I strongly believe that epidemics and toxic diseases came with the advent of whiteman in africa

With industrializations came pollutions and with toxic pollutions came outrageous unnatural diseases nnd epidemics.
Re: Colonization And Epidemics In Africa by Hauwa1: 7:11pm On Aug 26, 2009
undecided with all our assorted mosquitoes and eating of assorted bush animals such as gorilla, lack of hygiene etc not too surprised we have epidemics in africa.
Re: Colonization And Epidemics In Africa by redsun(m): 7:36pm On Aug 26, 2009
But how come there is so much deadly cancers in the west,even with all the sanitizations?
Re: Colonization And Epidemics In Africa by redsun(m): 7:38pm On Aug 26, 2009
We've all hard maleria,but ii didn't kill us,some how,we out grew it.
Re: Colonization And Epidemics In Africa by ChinenyeN(m): 1:42am On Aug 27, 2009
redsun:

We've all hard maleria,but ii didn't kill us,some how,we out grew it.
Is this not one of the reasons west Africans were popular, and in high demand during the slave trade, or am I mistaking?
Re: Colonization And Epidemics In Africa by agathamari(f): 6:15pm On Aug 27, 2009
redsun:

But how come there is so much deadly cancers in the west,even with all the sanitizations?

some cancers are caused by heavy meatals like lead and mercury. some by toxins created in the prodution of rubber, plastics, clothing dyes, fertilizers ect. some are naturlay occuring. animals, fish, plants can all develop varing degrees of cancer. many cancers have existed for thosands of years, only with advancements of medicine have we been able to identify those cancers. 3,000 years ago life expectancy was only 35-40 years now its 75-80 (adverage). the diseases arnt new, they are things that were once considered death by old age or natural causes. the last 30 years or so coronors no longer even have that option for cause of death. Some cancers preent similar to other diseases so doctors from previous generations didnt identify them, lung cancer presents very similar to pnemonia (dificulty breathing and the lugs fill with fluid in the final stageges) another similar issue was that people would not tell anyone of thier illness because of how people would look at them. 100 years ago death from tb was called complications becuse of the stigma attached to such a diagnosis but the disease existed even prior to that.

pics of trees with cancer ( http://www.belgiumview.com/belgiumview/tl3/view0004333.php4, http://thumb10.webshots.net/t/53/453/9/75/0/2928975000056206750aFehyP_th.jpg, http://farm1.static.flickr.com/117/308860253_d1f22b0a5b_t.jpg)
Re: Colonization And Epidemics In Africa by agathamari(f): 6:30pm On Aug 27, 2009
Re: Colonization And Epidemics In Africa by redsun(m): 7:50pm On Aug 28, 2009
Nice informations,but it still does not explain whether there was any epidemic or major plagues in pre-colonial sub-sahara africa.The only one i have heard of is that of influenza of post 1st world war that started as a result of whiteman's toxic and destructive gases used in the war.

I have not in any form,either by folk stories or oral history like it is in africa heard of any uncontrollable epidemic  and mass deaths among our ancestors,if there was,somehow,they could have passed on the story orally.

When i was growing up in nigeria,seeing a disable child was rare sight,apart from may be nothern polio disasters,but these days,children with celebral palsy are common sights in nigeria like it is in the west.What could be responsible?is it westernization,chemicalization,industrialization or what?

I strongly believe that man made chemical and pollution is a serious threat to humanity and nature itself.
Re: Colonization And Epidemics In Africa by agathamari(f): 11:47am On Aug 29, 2009
redsun:

Nice informations,but it still does not explain whether there was any epidemic or major plagues in pre-colonial sub-sahara africa.The only one i have heard of is that of influenza of post 1st world war that started as a result of whiteman's toxic and destructive gases used in the war.

I have not in any form,either by folk stories or oral history like it is in africa heard of any uncontrollable epidemic and mass deaths among our ancestors,if there was,somehow,they could have passed on the story orally.

When i was growing up in nigeria,seeing a disable child was rare sight,apart from may be nothern polio disasters,but these days,children with celebral palsy are common sights in nigeria like it is in the west.What could be responsible?is it westernization,chemicalization,industrialization or what?

I strongly believe that man made chemical and pollution is a serious threat to humanity and nature itself.

When you search for epidemics of ancient Africa you find typhoid, malaria, cholera, tularemia, hemorrhagic fever, rubella, yellow fever, typhus fever, Ebola, bubonic plague, dengue fever, influenza, sleeping sickness, Lassa fever, meningitis, parasites including trypanosome and prions, elephentitus, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and measles. Others are listed by generic terms like the shongi plague, Athenian plague, Justinianic plague and the Axum epidemic. Ancient region of Kenya, Uganda, and Zaire are referred to as the plague reservoir because many disease including Ebola, bubonic plague, HIV and pnenonic plague have been traced there.

Cerebral palsy is caused in uetro by lack of oxygen/nutrients or blunt force trauma as well as mothers who become pregnant over the age of 35 are at a higher risk because the eggs have begun to break down. It can be caused before the child’s 2nd birthday by head trauma or allergic reactions to foods/plants/medications/animal bites.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Men…the Good, The Bad, The Ugly! / Human Parts Available: Live Human, N40,000; Head, N8,000; Hands, N4,000 / "No Matter Where In Africa You're From, In America, You're Black"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.