Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Smell From My Exhaust - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Smell From My Exhaust (1143 Views)

Drunk Teen Got Her Head Stuck In Truck Exhaust Pipe For 45 Mins In US / Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates / Black Exhaust Smoke In Rx300 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smell From My Exhaust by smsglory(m): 9:37am On Jun 08, 2016
Hello Guru,

I have scanned my car and it has no emission issue but, I noticed anytime I warm up the car,especially at morning there is this smell/odour that comes out from the exhaust pipe.
I had used oil treatment, but the smell/odour persist. And I feel it affect the fuel economy -vely.

Kindly advise.....
Kindly
Re: Smell From My Exhaust by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 08, 2016
What type of car do you drive?
Re: Smell From My Exhaust by smsglory(m): 9:51am On Jun 08, 2016
It's a Sienna 2006

Thanks
Re: Smell From My Exhaust by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jun 08, 2016
Firstly, oil treatment is bad for your engine. It causes sludge build up inside the engine which results in engine damage with time.

For the smelly exhaust, your catalytic converter a.k.a indomie is the main suspect and it might need replacement. I recommend that you observe the smell for a while, drain that grease in your engine and replace with recommended 5W-30 grade engine oil ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Smell From My Exhaust by femicousim: 1:55pm On Jun 08, 2016
What kind of smell exactly?

Sweet smell? - a coolant leak flowing onto hot
exhaust

Gasoline? - ignition system fault likely, lean air-fuel mixture leading to lean misfire

Exhaust smell? - cracked exhaust manifold

Strong exhaust smell? - vacuum leak

Smoke causing eyes to tear? - overadvanced timing or EGR issues, might also be vacuum

Dizzy feeling from smoke? - excessively rich air-fuel mixture

Rotten eggs smell? - catalytic converter related issues
Re: Smell From My Exhaust by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:49pm On Jun 08, 2016
smsglory:
Hello Guru,
I have scanned my car and it has no emission issue but, I noticed anytime I warm up the car,especially at morning there is this smell/odour that comes out from the exhaust pipe.
I had used oil treatment, but the smell/odour persist. And I feel it affect the fuel economy -vely.
Kindly advise.....
Kindly

if the bolded is correct, there is nothing wrong with your car.

1 Like

Re: Smell From My Exhaust by chukel(m): 4:17pm On Jun 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
[/color]

[color=#990000]if the bolded is correct, there is nothing wrong with your car.
there may not be something actually wrong but it's not right. There is a tsb by Toyota on this issue and it affects 2gr-fe engines with their 3way catalytic converter. The problem is In the catalyst producing hydrogen peroxide making it have rotten egg smell. To resolve it, catalyst has to be changed.
Re: Smell From My Exhaust by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:39pm On Jun 08, 2016
chukel:
there may not be something actually wrong but it's not right. There is a tsb by Toyota on this issue and it affects 2gr-fe engines with their 3way catalytic converter . The problem is In the catalyst producing hydrogen peroxide making it have rotten egg smell. To resolve it, catalyst has to be changed.

which of the catalysts?
Re: Smell From My Exhaust by chukel(m): 8:18pm On Jun 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

which of the catalysts?
the last catalyst in the sequence. Not bank 1 or bank 2. The one under the car.
Re: Smell From My Exhaust by mayor2013: 8:45pm On Jun 08, 2016
If that smell comes out early in the morning when you start your car. That is nitrogenous oxide there is nothing wrong with your ride
Re: Smell From My Exhaust by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:24pm On Jun 08, 2016
chukel:
the last catalyst in the sequence. Not bank 1 or bank 2. The one under the car.

does not affect fuel consumption, Only there for the environment. It's like an appendix.
Re: Smell From My Exhaust by chukel(m): 6:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

does not affect fuel consumption, Only there for the environment. It's like an appendix.
yea. U kn say dem value environment there.

(1) (Reply)

See What Happened When Electric Pole Fell On Moving Vehicle In Ikeja,Lagos(pics) / What Are The Pros And Cons Mitsubishi Carisma? / US Used Toyota Corolla 2012 Model @ 3.5 Million Naira Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.